Cargill

Cargill Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

Cargill Chairman, President, and CEO Greg Page

Greg Page

Pros
  • They offer a flexible work environment for easier work life balance(in 29 reviews)

• Great people and team mates making a friendly work environment(in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor work/life balance; people are getting burned out after start-up(in 27 reviews)

• IT is seen as overhead and the business units do not feel IT is responsive(in 26 reviews)

Tumoil

Maintenance Manager (Former Employee) Newcastle

ProsSystems very tight and very well deployed. HR especially.

Conscut throat wages and will employ low paid workers to do higher payed jobs with promises of better things in the future.

Advice to Senior ManagementSay what you are going to do and do what you say you are going to do. The values are great, but not adhered to at the local level.

Great company to work for with lot's of development opportunities if you seize them.

ProsCompany likes to develop employees and it likes to hire internally. Flexible work schedule is great. High ethical standards and a sense of shared community responsibility.

ConsCargill is not a very lean company due to it being a private company. It has started to trim down some benefits. Nothing too bad but it needs to be weary of losing the awesome culture it has garnered leading to many working there for life. IT systems are somewhat old.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on streamlining IT services to save time and money.

Cargill is a great place to work, could use more donuts.

Senior Analyst (Current Employee) Minnetonka, MN (US)

ProsBe sure to be very pro healthy foods at the office. People take the company culture about feeding the world very seriously.

ConsAgain the issue is they buy into the hype more than is warranted. We're going to run out of usable water a lot faster than we run out of usable food.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood work, but could be a bit more realistic about expectations for performance. Might be worth using peer and subordinate evaluation methods.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The work is extremely diverse

Production Engineer (Current Employee) Indianapolis, IN (US)

ProsGood Career advancement opportunities

ConsMust be willing to relocate

Best company I have worked for.

Human Resources Manager (Former Employee)

Proshigh values, respect for people, not just telling how important people are for them,but really taking care of them, very low turnover

Conslittle bit slow for some people, salary van be lower than average

Advice to Senior Managementkeep on doing as before

Hard to find the next position

ProsThe people are great to work with

Consvery conservative company and hard to move to the next position

Company has grown into a bureaucracy where politics trumps performance

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsJob security, huge balance sheet, private company able to focus on the long-term

ConsFar too many employees that would likely not cut it at other companies due to underperformance remain employed and in some cases in positions with significant responsibility, often stagnating earnings in business units particularly the energy platform which has lost many key senior traders in the past 2 years which had been large contributors to earnings over the past decade.

Good company if starting your career, terrible if you are coming in mid career

Human Resources Manager (Current Employee) Hopkins, MN (US)

ProsPays well, better work life balance day to day

ConsIf you are an experienced hire be prepared to be treated like you don't know anything- by everyone! Cargill culture is very old fashioned, white male dominated and hierarchical.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease start working on being inclusive. I am not talking about race or gender only, I am talking about being open to conversation and ideas.

It's a job

Accounting Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Cincinnati, OH (US)

ProsThe business of agriculture is not going anywhere. It can't. People need food, and food needs land to grow. Typically willing to work with employees on Work/Life balance, ability to work from home occasionally, time off for regular doctor visits and children's needs.

ConsThe business isn't going anywhere, but the jobs are. Centralizing all admin jobs and most customer service. Farmers, Cargill's customers, are angry. Low pay - most of us have college degrees for a job the doesn't necessitate it, making well below the Market average for our jobs in our region. Not much room for advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet more input from different people/positions within the organization before making huge decisions. We recently closed a plant that local management had spent a couple years discussing and creating a viable long term plan for, but when centralized management came in, they saw what they wanted to see and completely dismissed the 2 years of analysis that had already been done.

Stellar - if you're an Employee

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe office environment is great, nice cafeterias and coffee bars, lovely facilities including outdoor eating, gym, etc. Lots of charity work - blood drives, habitat for humanity, silent auctions, food drives, etc. High security on campuses, very safe environment. Fun events for staff. Encouraged health and wellbeing - walking meetings around campus instead of sitting, nutrition info in cafeteria. Some teams have a lot of fun, and creativity is encouraged in making your team stand out. Great benefits and perks - for employees. Decent compensation. Employees are extremely loyal to the company. High ethical and moral code. Incredible job security for employees. Team leads and managers are encouraged to (and, in my experience, do) facilitate very frequent one-on-one meetings with their employees, discussing projects, workload, giving advice and mentoring, etc. Most are very in touch with what their team is working on, very involved and hands-on.

ConsDichotomy between the old guard and the new - lots of "lifers" that want to do things the way they've always done them, and they are impossible to fire - Cargill is BIG on tenure, and even newer employees they won't fire, they just push them off on other departments so their incompetence travels. If the older team members don't like or understand a technology, good luck getting it. If they love a bad idea or something poorly rated, if they've given it the Go Ahead, you better drink the kool-aid and get on board. Consultants are bottom-rung and there is a VERY CLEAR distinction between whether you're a Contractor or an Employee, and you WILL feel it, moreso than anywhere else I've experienced. Get used to hearing about a perk and then hearing, "...but that's only for Employees." Some companies treat consultants as assets who bring their expertise to the team on a limited basis, and therefore are even more valuable. Here, contractors are expendable, temporary, and worth little, regardless of what they bring to the table. Due to their Promote From Within philosophy and the abundance of employees getting pushed off teams, it's nearly impossible to be hired permanently if you start as a consultant. They'll give the job to an incompetent employee just for applying before making a talented consultant perm - you'll be saying Goodbye to your gifted contractors and scrambling to find fixes, being told to Make It Work. Employees are golden children, regardless of talent, experience, or intelligence. Don't get me wrong, there are very talented employees who earned their positions, but they're more the exception than the rule. Speaking of "rules," those change often. REALLY often. Definite consensus culture, which is great when you need immediate change to a small team policy, but makes it impossible for department-wide decisions to get pushed through. Lots of hoops to jump through. Compensation isn't outstanding, considering the revenue of the company. More incremental raises based on tenure versus performance.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on talent and performance over tenure. That is the single greatest weakness of Cargill.

Worked for Cargill? Contribute to the Community!