Cargill

www.cargill.com
Employer Engaged

Lots of responsibility and room to grow if they listen on the animal nutrient side.

Former Employee - Customer Service Tech/Production Tech in West Branch, IA (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Tech/Production Tech in West Branch, IA (US)

I worked at Cargill full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Work life is okay as well as pay. There is room for advancement and I don't see in the near future of going anywhere as a whole company, but you never know. there is job security in a not so stable economy at the moment if your in a larger plant, but smaller sites are a little iffy with reorgs that seem to be coming down, but that also could be a way in.

Cons

Lack of listening and direction at times,. good ideas as well as needs for departments and personnel get moth balled or ignored until its to the boiling point. The problem with advancement is if you want to get higher in the company you have to move just like most places like this. They aren't upfront with certain things and stability in smaller plants is not guaranteed due to undermanned, outdated, not able to keep up with the newer plants and some of the plants and distribution points are not close to areas as well as capital list needs are not met in a timely manner which puts a lot of stress on employees/management of those plants as well as uncertainty in customers. Also they may care to a point, but if it affects business your on your own.

Get back in touch with your employees and customers, i know its hard since its a big company, but the little things go a long way and being properly staffed instead of being stretched beyond your means means alot to people especially when they can get time off and not have to cancel everytime someone is ill or a customer decides they want it now. Also have a system in place so if equipment and personnel as well as facility needs are needed it can get noticed and looked at right away and do a way with the model mill crap, it actually is giving false impression/readings half the time.

Nothing much

Current Employee - Sourcing Analyst in Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Sourcing Analyst in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I have been working at Cargill

Pros

family owned, lots going on

Cons

not growing, too much going on

need to promote innovation and allow people to grow.

Great Company, Lot's Talent, Takes Awhile to Learn the Culture

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I worked at Cargill full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Huge company with many opportunities. Great talent to work with. Very clear about what Cargill does well.

Cons

Not easy to understand how things actually get done in regards to the decision making process. Can be difficult to understand and navigate across divisions and business units.

Help new employees understand the unwritten rules of the business and how to best make an impact.

An ideal employer for a life long commitment

Former Intern - Intern in Singapore (Singapore)
    Former Intern - Intern in Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at Cargill as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Very friendly culture and flat structure. Big company with good infrastructure and a lot of opportunities.

Cons

Might be confined to your own office

beautify the office a little bit

I'd take three fast-food jobs before going back to Cargill.

Former Employee - Production Worker in Springdale, AR (US)
    Former Employee - Production Worker in Springdale, AR (US)

I worked at Cargill full-time (less than a year)

Pros

You WILL get 40+ hours almost every week. I averaged about 42. So, the only major good thing I can say about Cargill relative to other jobs I've had is that you can count on receiving a certain amount of money nearly every paycheck.

Also, there are about eight paid holidays per year. I got paid for Memorial Day even as a temp.

Cons

Where do I start...

First off, I was hired as temp-to-hire through a staffing company. Cargill was hiring for the exact same positions directly, but I didn't know this. They were hiring directly as well as going through several staffing companies, trying to fill their positions because they couldn't convince enough people to work there. About 50% of my coworkers were Marshallese with no other options. I was told I'd be hired on after 60 days and get a 50 cent raise. I worked there, HARD, for a little over three months and was never hired on. My supervisor said HR was dragging their feet on paperwork and didn't care because I was the only temp they had left. They also didn't pay me the 50 cent shift differential for 2nd shift that my coworkers were paid.

The Springdale plant employs over 1,000 people, I believe they told me. So, there's actually some room for advancement if you stay there long enough. However, you can give up any hope of becoming a line lead unless you're bilingual Spanish or Marshallese. An English-only speaker isn't getting promoted from entry-level unless you have EHS, QA, or maintenance experience, in which case you might get transferred to one of those departments. Supervisor positions generally require college degrees or several years of experience at another company.

I worked on the leg processor machine in the hindsaddle department, within the Whole Bird/BIB division. When I started, there were six people working the rotation around my machine. When I left, there was only me, one other person, and two new trainees who were barely any help yet. Everyone else had said "forget this" and quit. The work was already strenuous, and now we had three people doing the work of six. If the company paid enough to compensate for the strain on our bodies, maybe they could retain workers better. Even the Marshallese workers who spoke no English or Spanish (and hence had few other job options) stopped putting up with it and left.

There were some easy, though repetitive, jobs at Cargill. There were people who packaged turkeys, mixed seasonings, poured a liquid into a machine and monitored it, etc. The hindsaddle department, however, was hell on your body from your fingertips to your shoulders. What finally convinced me to leave was getting trigger finger in four of my ten fingers. (Trigger finger is a condition called tenosynovitis where a finger gets stuck in a closed position and can only be opened after a painful effort.) I reported it to my lead. They sent me to check in with the nurse every couple of days. All the nurse did was give me ibuprofen pills and send me back to my job. The condition kept worsening and causing more problems for me. A couple hours after I put in my notice I lost grip on my knife and stabbed myself in the hand. This company preaches safety but only cares about you if you're bleeding (a food safety issue, of course).

If you can get a job packaging, driving a pallet jack or forklift, or doing QA, EHS, or maintenance, Cargill probably isn't a bad place to work. If they offer you a job as one of the grunts cutting turkeys, stay far, far away if you possibly can.

In short, act like you care about your employees. Turnover is a bigger problem at Cargill than at any restaurant or factory I've ever worked at, because so many people can't deal with the conditions there for long. Look at the novel I wrote in the Cons section and start working on fixing them.

Good company to work for

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at Cargill as an intern

Pros

Nice people and good culture

Cons

not moving in the same direction as competitors

Great Company

Current Employee - Management Trainee in Fort Wayne, IN (US)
    Current Employee - Management Trainee in Fort Wayne, IN (US)

I have been working at Cargill full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Really smart people who are focused on what matters - improving the business. Global reach is incredible. Huge amounts of opportunity, but you do have to sacrifice. Drink the kool aid.

Cons

They make you move too often. A bit of a closed environment.

Good career

I worked at Cargill full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Opportunities to move among business units earlier in career. International exposure is available.

Cons

A mistake along the way, or a bad relationship with a manager can brand an employee for life, making it difficult to find new opportunities in the company.

Sr managers are good people, just not sure there is the horsepower there to lead a global, $140 billion company.

Good company, takes care of long-time employees

Former Employee - Commodity Merchant in Eddyville, IA (US)
    Former Employee - Commodity Merchant in Eddyville, IA (US)

I worked at Cargill full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Well-respected within the industry, a ton of opportunities. The culture is pretty good-a lot of people with small-town backgrounds and values.

Cons

There is a fair amount of structure and you don't have as much freedom to make decisions as some of the smaller grain companies. You also typically don't advance as rapidly due to the emphasis on experience.

Excellent Company

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Cargill

Pros

overall a very good company to work for

Cons

little opportunity in Canada, only sales and marketing mostly