Cargill Reviews

Updated 22 October 2014
3.4

Cargill Chairman, President, and CEO Greg Page
Greg Page

Pros
  • They offer a flexible work environment for easier work life balance (in 33 reviews)

• Great people and team mates making a friendly work environment (in 25 reviews)

Cons
  • Poor work/life balance; people are getting burned out after start-up (in 31 reviews)

• IT is seen as overhead and the business units do not feel IT is responsive (in 28 reviews)

More Highlights

Moral and Ethical

Current Employee - Analyst in Wayzata, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Analyst in Wayzata, MN (US)

I have been working at Cargill as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Lots of mobility
    Plenty of oppurtunity to grow

Cons

summer is a false representation of the frozen desolate tundra know as minnesota

I had great time met lots of smart and diverse individuals who were very frank and open with me. In fact I met no one who had a negative mantra or told me a broken way was a Cargill way...you know like you would hear at the Post Office for example. So I think perhaps working longer than the summer I could find something. but I had a great time.

Good Job Experiences in Cargill

Current Employee - Software Developer in Jakarta (Indonesia)
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Jakarta (Indonesia)

I have been working at Cargill full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Frankly this is the best Company i joined so far in my career.
    the best thing about this company is their culture and their guiding principle.
    people in my team are the best talent that is available on the City, they are quite helpful,honest and easy to cooperate with.

Cons

challenges are sometimes the project timeline quite tight.

i can not think anything of right now.

Could have been better

Former Employee - Production Controller in Gainesville, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Production Controller in Gainesville, GA (US)

I worked at Cargill as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Decent pay, told of expectations, decent training.

Cons

Poor monitoring of "upper level" managers. We had a warehouse manager that never went in the warehouse.They fired her but she had gotten rid of me for bringing safety matters up to upper managements attention after she refused to deal with it.

Communication between employees was horrendous especially between shifts. Ridiculous that it is not known till Thursday that you may have to work on Sunday.

Good place to start a career if you are young, not so much if you are in your 50's.

Current Employee - Associate Accountant in Hopkins, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Associate Accountant in Hopkins, MN (US)

I have been working at Cargill full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The pay and benefits are good.

Cons

Need better training. Need to treat everyone the same and not have favorites.

My advice to management is give opportunities to your employees, don't ever tell them to their face that they are doing a crappy job. If they are doing a job that is not satisfactory find out why they and offer them more training if they need it.

Used to be a good place to work

Current Employee - Senior IT Technical Analyst in Buenos Aires (Argentina)
    Current Employee - Senior IT Technical Analyst in Buenos Aires (Argentina)

I have been working at Cargill full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Cargill is a gigantic company. This review is only about the IT function, which is larger than many other entire companies. All of the other BUs are somewhat independent companies, so it's difficult to rate them all at once.

You get a huge amount of opportunities to grow, and there's a lot of internal movement. You just need to make sure you get a consistent development plan, and a manager who supports you on that. The IT infrastructure is tier-1, so you'll get real, hands-on experience on hardware that you just don't find on any other company, but the biggest ones.

If you are a top performer, they'll give you freedom to work out your schedule at will, which makes it very easy to actually have a life. Compensation is not the best (usually right on the average of the market), but it beats many of the other companies that have tried hiring me in the past.

Cons

Working at the IT function at Cargill is very difficult. Every two years they change strategy, reorganize, or both. Most of the top talent has left, and outsourcing is only making it worse. Engagement is at the bottom. The IT function is VERY conservative, which on some areas make it very difficult to innovate.

Good luck with outsourcing

Great values, high bureaucracy

I have been working at Cargill full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of different opportunities, very ethical and supportive of the local communities. Pay is low to middle of industry for IT.

Cons

Consensus decision making, little empowerment at the right levels, senior IT managers talk about valuing people but don't really connect with their people, too far removed from reality when they are making decisions.

(IT) Give your people the ability to move forward, they know what needs to be done but their hands are tied in many cases by bureaucracy and they are punished for going around barriers and not following 'process'.

Great company to work for with lot's of development opportunities if you seize them.

I have been working at Cargill full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Company likes to develop employees and it likes to hire internally. Flexible work schedule is great. High ethical standards and a sense of shared community responsibility.

Cons

Cargill is not a very lean company due to it being a private company. It has started to trim down some benefits. Nothing too bad but it needs to be weary of losing the awesome culture it has garnered leading to many working there for life. IT systems are somewhat old.

Work on streamlining IT services to save time and money.

Cargill is a great place to work, could use more donuts.

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Minnetonka, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Minnetonka, MN (US)

I have been working at Cargill full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Be sure to be very pro healthy foods at the office. People take the company culture about feeding the world very seriously.

Cons

Again the issue is they buy into the hype more than is warranted. We're going to run out of usable water a lot faster than we run out of usable food.

Good work, but could be a bit more realistic about expectations for performance. Might be worth using peer and subordinate evaluation methods.

The work is extremely diverse

Current Employee - Production Engineer in Indianapolis, IN (US)
    Current Employee - Production Engineer in Indianapolis, IN (US)

I have been working at Cargill full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good Career advancement opportunities

Cons

Must be willing to relocate

Best company I have worked for.

Former Employee - Human Resources Manager
    Former Employee - Human Resources Manager

I worked at Cargill full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

high values, respect for people, not just telling how important people are for them,but really taking care of them, very low turnover

Cons

little bit slow for some people, salary van be lower than average

keep on doing as before