Cbeyond

Cbeyond Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Cbeyond Chairman, President, and CEO Jim Geiger

Jim Geiger

Pros
  • Company has strong sales training program and will prepare you for the "real world (in 23 reviews)

• The sales model is great for an entry level sales proffesional (in 20 reviews)

Cons
  • Anyone who says long hours has a different point of view than I do (in 28 reviews)

• The "door to door" style of sales is old fashioned and doesnt work like it did 15 years ago (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

Culture, Culture, Culture

ProsIt's pretty rare to find a company that remains true to it's core values through thick and thin. Over the course of my decade at Cbeyond, I can honestly say that a majority of both employees and leadership lived the core values of Caring Relentlessly, Acting Graciously, Leading Courageously, and Learning Continuously.

ConsNotice that I said "a majority" of employees and leadership. There were certainly exceptions. Unfortunately as a result of the recent acquisition, it's highly unlikely that any of the former Cbeyond culture will remain intact.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue fostering a culture that people are proud to be a part of.

Great until the Buyout!

Network Engineer Tier III (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA (US)

ProsCbeyond's culture and pool of talent was great. They had good time off benefits and a family feel. A good bit of freedom to either succeed or fail on your own.

ConsThe compensation is below industry average. The buyout of Cbeyond by Birch has presented several problems already. Birch has already completely changed the culture and the methods of Operations and Engineering.

Good vision, lousy execution

Cloud Sales Director (Current Employee) Miami, FL (US)

ProsVery open to embrace new technologies and great culture and benefits, pay is competitive and if you work hard, you can make good money.

ConsThe Company had great vision when decided to get into the Cloud business, however they tried to sell those services with the same old Telco mentality; of the biggest challenges was to get management to understand that mission critical services cannot be closed overnight.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo late of any advise, as of Friday 7/18 Cbeyond will disappear forever and it will become Birch Telecom.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Wool over eyes

ProsRelaxed atmosphere, operations is open to suggestions, ability to truly partner.

ConsStifling growth, refusal of management to adjust with new talent, backhanded dealings

Advice to Senior ManagementDo what you say and be respectful of your talent if you want to retain them.

Churn and Burn!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsVery cheap vending machine for drinks and snacks. Good for newer folks looking to join the work-force. Company events for top producers

ConsChurn and Burn/Micromanagement. Really bad reputation in territories where you have to walk in and sell Cbeyond products. These territories have most likely been ran through by a previous employee.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in some other type of Marketing and don't rely solely on foot soldiers. Maybe a TV/Radio ad.

Great company to learn and grow.

ProsAwesome people, wonderful leadership. Cbeyond is a great environment to work in. I have learned so much from the leadership team and my experiences there. They have an on-site gym which is awesome.

ConsDefinitely fast paced environment and sometimes there is a lack of direction. The phrase "do more with less" gets thrown around a lot.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop for a moment and focus. Listen to your employees, they have a lot of valuable insights.

NOC

ProsVending machines are pretty cheap, almost everything is 50 cents.

ConsRevolving door, do not care about their employees.

Great learning platform, awful environment

Territory Sales Representative (Former Employee)

ProsIt's a very fun, challenging work environment where you get to learn with great people. Anyone interested in a career in sales will benefit from the sales training and overall sales environment.

ConsIt's a sink or swim type company. Cold calling is an essential part of the business and this will never go away. You are selling a low brand image product in a completely saturated market. Turnover is extremely high and some of the managers create a toxic work environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementSales goals are way too lofty, especially considering only around 10-15% of the reps meet their monthly goals. Create more leads for your reps, it will go along way.

One of, if not, the worst sales jobs I have ever had (Oakbrook, IL)

Sales Consultant (Former Employee) Oakbrook Terrace, IL (US)

ProsSome of Cbeyond's product lines like Cloud based PBX, Cloud server & back-up, even high speed Fiber internet are new and exciting products to sell. The company also spends good money on the office facility (at least the Oakbrook, IL location anyway) The two week training course was also very helpful to me from a standpoint of they train you on how to run a sales presentation, useful in any sales job and the trainers actually care to see that you are adequately trained.

ConsThe WORST management I have ever seen at an organization. Good Ol Boy (or, Good Ol Girl) mentality when talking about promotion. EXTENSIVE micromanagement expecting unrealistic numbers instructing to knock doors of prospects (old school approach) that HATE the brand when most say, "I will never have Cbeyond again". Lack of post sales support and bad service has resulted in tens of thousands of ill fated web reviews of Cbeyond service left by customers exposes ALL OR MOST of your newly interested prospects to the horrors other businesses have had to deal with which kills your POTENTIAL deal and flushes all your hard work, money spent on gasoline (which is NOT at all fully or properly compensated for), and your career at a failing company, DOWN THE TOILET...Don't make the same mistake I did and fall for their lies saying you could hit 6 figures and above in your first year. Its virtually impossible. The top rep at the company was near 90k and that was only because he had a tech vendor spoon feeding him 'free deals'...Maybe you will get lucky. Maybe you will make some bucks but I promise you will HATE your job AND your manager and that's OK by Cbeyond because they know this will happen, you will move on, quit or get terminated, and they will hire another "You'...CHURN AND BURN BABY.

Advice to Senior ManagementDOOR KNOCKING AS A PRIMARY SALES TACTIC DOES NOT WORK ANYMORE. Integration of "2.0" type products into the portfolio take time to sell as the SMB world IS NOT EVEN CLOSE to embracing cloud based technology or trusting it to run their business. Those type of sales do not close overnight but management says they can. All you have to do is knock MORE DOORS. Allow sales folks to write off their miles spent driving in the field as opposed to offering $12.00 Per appointment run and then calling that figure 'Gas Reimbursement' It's actually called 'Phantom Revenue'. When my financial advisor found out about this he literally COULD NOT believe it and almost had me march straight to the HR department and demand they change how I was compensated. Because of the way Cbeyond compensated for gas/mileage, my advisor told me I COULD NOT legally write off my miles.

Great training program ... Toxic work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe training program will benefit you in your future job. It was very helpful to have trained at this company. Actually seemed as if they tried to make the job enjoyable.

ConsWork-life balance is very low. Extremely micromanaged while selling an inferior product into a saturated market. Bogged down by terrible corporate structure.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive outside reps more freedom

Worked for Cbeyond? Contribute to the Community!