Cerner

Cerner Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Cerner Chairman, CEO & President Neal L. Patterson

Neal L. Patterson

Pros:
  • "Cerner is a great place to start your career out of college"
    in 26 reviews
  • "Cerner is a good place to start a career"
    in 11 reviews
Cons:
  • "Most struggle to find the work/life balance and have issues with excessive stress pushed by management"
    in 48 reviews
  • "Sometimes there are log hours, but what company doesn't have long hours these days"
    in 54 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great if you love the work

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Cerner full-time for more than 10 years

ProsLots of opportunities in a lot of different areas

ConsWork-life balance is not a priority for management.

Better than most I've worked for

Senior Support Analyst (Current Employee)
Kansas City, KS (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat experience, resources, and opportunities to expand your knowledge. "Knowledge Transfers" as they call them are emphasized across the organization. Internal Hiring is frequent and well-known internally as an opportunity for advancement. From my experience, this is not the "sweat shop" it is made out to be. I work less hours than my IT counterparts from college (possibly to my detriment, see cons).

Though I do have my reservations about the social aspects, the company is incredibly solid and I stand behind its products and its continued innovations. Neil Patterson, despite his occasional outbursts, is an incredibly effective leader. The more I get to know about who he is and what he has done, the more I respect him. He is incredibly frank, and I respect that. Any CEO with guts is someone worth working for.

ConsPromotions are not so much based on skill but on social ability. If you've taken the DiSC assessment, "I" personalities are emphasized here. Social butterflies excel quickly to management positions regardless of area (technical or not). If you're good in a technical role and get your job done and then some, you're asked why you aren't helping other people more. This is even when you're already completing significantly more work than anyone else. I've seen people promoted that cannot even complete their own work - their work has deteriorated to incredible depths, and they have helped people regardless. So really your job is based on helping others when you can't even help yourself.

From a productivity standpoint it doesn't make a whole lot of sense - why would you dive into a new situation and waste time figuring out what's going on when you could do your own work in a shorter amount of time? Would customer satisfaction not go up if you emphasized the completions of the work you have? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me and never will. If you promote the people that never did their own jobs in the first place, the people that work for them that do complete their work will not get rewarded properly. The cycle continues.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward efficiency and getting your work done in shorter periods of time. Quality over quantity. Right now it seems like the people that work the most hours get rewarded the most, not the people that get more done in shorter periods of time. In summary: working hard is rewarded over working intelligently.

Very Good

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Cerner

ProsLots of exposure to the technology.

ConsI dont have any such thing to tell during my period

Advice to Senior ManagementNo as such

Fun Internship

I have been working at Cerner

ProsRelaxed, fun environment for interns. Get introduced to many aspects of the company

ConsOften times I had too much downtime where I had nothing to do

Great Start to a Career

Software Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Cerner full-time for more than a year

Pros- Location, KC is great!
- On campus clinic
- Benefits are pretty good
- Lots to learn
- New and emerging technology
- Great sense of accomplishment

Cons- Low Pay as compared to working directly with clients (hospitals)
- I would argue the metrics system used to track employee performance could be tuned better.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees more. Although leaving Cerner was not an easy decision, i found that i could do that same work at a Hospital and get paid much more generously. Thus, I view Cerner as a training facility... you pay your dues there and then find a job elsewhere with your newly acquired skills.

Velocity Analyst

Velocity Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Cerner full-time for less than a year

ProsProcess took about three weeks from phone interview till offer. Went to experience cerner day, they had a presentation before two different interview sessions. Star questions mostly, be prepared.

ConsOverall experience way good, experience cerner day could have been a little better though.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

New here, but very happy so far.

Business Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Cerner full-time for less than a year

ProsInteresting work, highly marketable skills for future employment, friendly coworkers, good support from immediate supervisors, flexibility and autonomy to find solutions to problems. jeans casual office environment is great for my dry-cleaning bill, always something new to learn and plenty of people to teach in a constructive, collaborative manner.

Conswork-life balance (not as bad as I expected), longer hours expected, limited gym access at some campuses, parallel processes can create inefficiency in some areas where different groups of people are working over and around each other on the same problems--matrix structure can be a little too "matrix" at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue emphasis on Lean Six Sigma process improvement so that it fully meshes with the culture. It's a long journey to get there, but it's worthwhile and Cerner is already on the right path.

Challanging

I have been working at Cerner

ProsGreat facilities, clean, fun, the pay is good. Managers seem to be easy to get along with.

ConsNo overtime pay, long hours, tough to get the hang of things. Managers have high expectations and aren't really down to earth.

Good company settle with...

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Bangalore (India)

I have been working at Cerner full-time for less than a year

ProsGood pay, superb domain, very less politics, transparent appraisal system, very good company.

ConsNothn till now,

Advice to Senior ManagementFaster your wrk...

Challenging and Rewarding

Systems Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Cerner full-time for more than a year

ProsAlways room for advancement. Personal Development. Leading edge of Healthcare and Technology.

ConsLots of competition. Difficult, but not impossible, to make a name for yourself and stand out.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would like to see more team building. I have been on my new team for months and still do not know everyone. This makes it difficult to leverage other's skills.

Worked for Cerner? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cerner reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Cerner CEO Neal L. Patterson. All 505 reviews are posted anonymously by Cerner employees.