Cerner

Cerner Reviews

Updated Apr 23, 2014

Cerner Chairman, CEO & President Neal L. Patterson

Neal L. Patterson

Pros:
  • "Cerner is a great place to start your career out of college"
    in 26 reviews
  • "Cerner is a good place to start a career"
    in 11 reviews
Cons:
  • "Most struggle to find the work/life balance and have issues with excessive stress pushed by management"
    in 48 reviews
  • "Sometimes there are log hours, but what company doesn't have long hours these days"
    in 54 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Love & Hate Relationship

I have been working at Cerner for less than a year

ProsI love my team and the work we do together - pair programming, code reviews, etc. It's been a very enlightening and rewarding experience.

It's an open forum: if you don't like something, it's pretty easy to talk to your team lead or even knock on the leadership door.

ConsThey are very corporate feel. My particular project doesn't feel like the cube-farm you usually get with a corporate feel, but to get anything done outside of your story requires a lot of leadership.

Compensation is OK, great for those coming right out of undergrad and getting trained here, but coming in as a well-experienced engineer and placed in the same "boat" as the undergrads in terms of salary is a bit of a insult.

Your team can make or break your experience here.

Work-Life balance can be difficult. Cerner still expects you to work overtime even if they don't promote it. They offer no compensation for the hours you work overtime even though it's expected.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on making *every* team a pleasure to work with.

Better than most I've worked for

Senior Support Analyst (Current Employee)
Kansas City, KS (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat experience, resources, and opportunities to expand your knowledge. "Knowledge Transfers" as they call them are emphasized across the organization. Internal Hiring is frequent and well-known internally as an opportunity for advancement. From my experience, this is not the "sweat shop" it is made out to be. I work less hours than my IT counterparts from college (possibly to my detriment, see cons).

Though I do have my reservations about the social aspects, the company is incredibly solid and I stand behind its products and its continued innovations. Neil Patterson, despite his occasional outbursts, is an incredibly effective leader. The more I get to know about who he is and what he has done, the more I respect him. He is incredibly frank, and I respect that. Any CEO with guts is someone worth working for.

ConsPromotions are not so much based on skill but on social ability. If you've taken the DiSC assessment, "I" personalities are emphasized here. Social butterflies excel quickly to management positions regardless of area (technical or not). If you're good in a technical role and get your job done and then some, you're asked why you aren't helping other people more. This is even when you're already completing significantly more work than anyone else. I've seen people promoted that cannot even complete their own work - their work has deteriorated to incredible depths, and they have helped people regardless. So really your job is based on helping others when you can't even help yourself.

From a productivity standpoint it doesn't make a whole lot of sense - why would you dive into a new situation and waste time figuring out what's going on when you could do your own work in a shorter amount of time? Would customer satisfaction not go up if you emphasized the completions of the work you have? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me and never will. If you promote the people that never did their own jobs in the first place, the people that work for them that do complete their work will not get rewarded properly. The cycle continues.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward efficiency and getting your work done in shorter periods of time. Quality over quantity. Right now it seems like the people that work the most hours get rewarded the most, not the people that get more done in shorter periods of time. In summary: working hard is rewarded over working intelligently.

Very Good

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Cerner

ProsLots of exposure to the technology.

ConsI dont have any such thing to tell during my period

Advice to Senior ManagementNo as such

Great Start to a Career

Software Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Cerner full-time for more than a year

Pros- Location, KC is great!
- On campus clinic
- Benefits are pretty good
- Lots to learn
- New and emerging technology
- Great sense of accomplishment

Cons- Low Pay as compared to working directly with clients (hospitals)
- I would argue the metrics system used to track employee performance could be tuned better.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees more. Although leaving Cerner was not an easy decision, i found that i could do that same work at a Hospital and get paid much more generously. Thus, I view Cerner as a training facility... you pay your dues there and then find a job elsewhere with your newly acquired skills.

Fun Internship

I have been working at Cerner

ProsRelaxed, fun environment for interns. Get introduced to many aspects of the company

ConsOften times I had too much downtime where I had nothing to do

Technically dumb work..good for ppl with no ambition

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Bangalore (India)

I have been working at Cerner full-time for more than a year

ProsJob security as every one is technically zero here ..u dont need to perform..
People get salary for having lunch and chit chat as no work
Gud place for married women and men to settle..

ConsWorst people around ..most of them are mediocre people who are either recrited by a fellow referal architects and managers recruit their friends and relatives..
engineers do clerical kind of work ..no learning or growth ..
A govt job environment

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease bring some credibilty to bangalore office ..its nepotism and cheap politics here..
Please clean or fire the underperformers

New here, but very happy so far.

Business Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Cerner full-time for less than a year

ProsInteresting work, highly marketable skills for future employment, friendly coworkers, good support from immediate supervisors, flexibility and autonomy to find solutions to problems. jeans casual office environment is great for my dry-cleaning bill, always something new to learn and plenty of people to teach in a constructive, collaborative manner.

Conswork-life balance (not as bad as I expected), longer hours expected, limited gym access at some campuses, parallel processes can create inefficiency in some areas where different groups of people are working over and around each other on the same problems--matrix structure can be a little too "matrix" at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue emphasis on Lean Six Sigma process improvement so that it fully meshes with the culture. It's a long journey to get there, but it's worthwhile and Cerner is already on the right path.

Challanging

I have been working at Cerner

ProsGreat facilities, clean, fun, the pay is good. Managers seem to be easy to get along with.

ConsNo overtime pay, long hours, tough to get the hang of things. Managers have high expectations and aren't really down to earth.

Challenging and Rewarding

Systems Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Cerner full-time for more than a year

ProsAlways room for advancement. Personal Development. Leading edge of Healthcare and Technology.

ConsLots of competition. Difficult, but not impossible, to make a name for yourself and stand out.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would like to see more team building. I have been on my new team for months and still do not know everyone. This makes it difficult to leverage other's skills.

Cerner Has A Strong Name In Kansas City

Medical Billing Specialist (Current Employee)

I have been working at Cerner full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat room for advancement (After your initial 18 months)
Gives your opportunity to learn and show off skills
Compensation (Except for entry level)
Work/Life balance (Take vacation and flex easily)
Excellent PTO and UNLIMITED SICK TIME
Great benefits
Management is laid back and very friendly

ConsThings are always changing
Parking can suck

Advice to Senior ManagementDecrease the amount of time before you can transfer from 18 months to 12 months.

Worked for Cerner? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cerner reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Cerner CEO Neal L. Patterson. All 507 reviews are posted anonymously by Cerner employees.