Cerner

Cerner Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Cerner Chairman, CEO & President Neal L. Patterson

Neal L. Patterson

Pros:
  • "Great place to build experience and learn about the healthcare industry"
    in 25 reviews
  • "Cerner is a good place to start a career"
    in 11 reviews
Cons:
  • "You can get caught in a bad work/life balance with ease"
    in 41 reviews
  • "Sometimes there are log hours, but what company doesn't have long hours these days"
    in 53 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Front End System Engineer

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Cerner full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat Company to work for.

ConsI don't have any cons.

Really excited to continue my career here

I have been working at Cerner

ProsGreat Benefits, good pay, great co workers, successful stock, World Head Quarters in my home town, global company with the oppurtunity to travel to new places, and the flexability to work from home at times.

ConsIt's a very large company which can be overwhelming at times, It's hard to explain to others what i do, and most of our clients require some travel to visit.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe careful not to overlook post graduate education or overvalue 10+ years within the same company. New ideas or experience can be helpful

Pleasant, informative, exciting.

Accountant (Former Employee)

I worked at Cerner full-time for less than a year

ProsYou had a lot of autonomy. Not a lot of micromanagement. At least on my team I was free to take care of my tasks and responsibilities and my manager and team members were there to help when I had questions or couldn't come up with a solution on my own.

ConsCertain time periods required a large amount of overtime, even reaching 60-70 hours a week, while no added benefits or compensation was provided over other employees who were not working the intense overtime hours.

Exciting and educating

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
North Kansas City, MO (US)

I worked at Cerner full-time for less than a year

ProsThe salary is great and there are great health incentives.

ConsSome associates and management in my former role at Cerner.

Great place for a new college grad!

Delivery Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Cerner full-time for less than a year

ProsThe people are great, I genuinely enjoy working with everyone on my team! If you are smart and hard working it should be a good place to advance your career.

ConsIt's a lot of work and things come at you from every direction.

Overworked, Underpaid, Underappreciated

Solution Architect (Current Employee)

I have been working at Cerner full-time for more than 5 years

ProsA lot of 'cool' people to work with. Most managers don't micro manage (there are definitely excpetions)

ConsLeadership that doesn't value their employees. One executive recently said that "you are all replaceable" speaking with a team. The hours that are expected to be worked are insane. Vacation and holidays count against your billable time so when you go on vacation, you are expected to make that up by working more hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue employees- regardless or rank - they are your biggest asset.

Software Engineer

I have been working at Cerner full-time

ProsLeadership and Learning Opportunities, the work culture is dynamic. Collaborative environment.

ConsTeams need to think and focus as one in order to achieve great results! Sometimes it does not happen.

Hours vary by organization

Solutions Architect (Current Employee)

I have been working at Cerner full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIt's a common misconception that all of Cerner works a crazy amount hours. In the organization I work in, I rarely work over 43 hours. Career advancements are supported if desired and hard work recognized.

ConsMy organization is very numbers based and the desired metrics are constantly changing. If you are not on a good team the work can be very tiresome and you might burn out.

Could be Worse

Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Cerner full-time for more than 5 years

ProsConvenient onsite clinic & gym
Decent starting salary
There are opportunities to use some bleeding edge technologies
Lots of really smart people

For prospective engineers:

Cerner is a good place to start a career. It's pretty easy to get a job here and you'll learn a lot pretty quickly.

If you are really into computer science, Cerner might be a good choice for you. There are teams working some bleeding edge technologies.

If you are really into red tape and processes then Cerner is a good choice for you.

If you like strict adherence to style guides and love linters and crave pedantic rants about how said style guides supersede said linters then you'll be in for a treat.

If you are an experienced developer with the skills, knowledge, and drive that could land you a job with the Google's and Amazon's of the world but prefer a good old fashion midwest winter then Cerner is a good choice.

ConsThe health insurance is pretty bad, if you have a family your gonna have a 3 or 4 thousand dollar deductible so be ready to max out that FSA

You only get 8 paid holiday days... they don't even give you Mr. Luther King Jr. Day off!

Parking sucks, if you accept a position then you better try and negotiate a parking spot on campus.

For engineers:

If you are even remotely business minded, this is probably not the place for you. Cerner is ripe with waste. During my tenure I don't think I worked on a single product that ever turned a profit and most of them I knew would be complete wastes of time from the get go. I've watched a sizable group of engineers sit idle for months working on busy work as the business was trying to figure out what the product they were assembled to work on was suppose to do.

If you are really into software engineering then this is probably not the best place for you. I've encountered some pretty atrocious code during my employment. I've seen things like single classes over 5,000 lines with no automated tests, Blocks of code so nested you'd have to scroll horizontally in the IDE to be able to see some of the statements, the use if/then/else statements with instanceOf's instead of polymorphism... I'm partially convinced that Robert Martin must have worked here at one point in time and his experiences were the inspiration for "Clean Code".

If you are a firm believer in agile development then this is not a good place for you. They claim they are agile, but the only thing they do that is agile is hold the ceremonies. If you've worked at an agile shop and really enjoyed it then you'll be thoroughly disappointed. At Cerner I often heard the expression "there are no agile police", but if there were they'd have no trouble meeting their quotas here.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's time for some accountability

Waste company to work. You will make no progress professionally

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Bangalore (India)

I have been working at Cerner full-time for less than a year

ProsNo positive to say. At India, there is no development work. All bug fixing and testing.

ConsIts been 3 days since I joined. I felt cheated after joining. You will find worst recruiters of IT industry here.

I regret that I joined leaving beside a very good service based company, thinking Cerner India, as a product company.
In India only bug-fixing is done, and all challenging development is done at US.

I am a developer, with more than 2.5 years exp in a reputed IT company, and after joining, i am asked to do 80% testing, 10% process follow-up, merely 10% development.
I am totally frustrated, and my advise to all, is please never join this company, however attractive package may be.

Dress-code is there. No flexibility, although HR says they support flexibility. Filled with cheaters.

Advice to Senior ManagementNot point in advising the egoistic management.

Worked for Cerner? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cerner reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Cerner CEO Neal L. Patterson. All 505 reviews are posted anonymously by Cerner employees.