Cerner Reviews

Updated 18 September 2014
3.5

Cerner Chairman, CEO & President Neal L. Patterson
Neal L. Patterson

Pros
  • Cerner takes a genuine interest in their employees and their families (work/life balance is important) (in 17 reviews)

• Great place if you want to learn and are a quick study (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • Indian employees are treated like slaves, and never think of work life balance at all (in 63 reviews)

• In hand is less than expected, some times high workload you have to work for long hours, (in 58 reviews)

More Highlights

Cerner isn't a bad company to work for.

Former Employee - Strategist  in  Sydney
    Former Employee - Strategist in Sydney

I worked at Cerner

Pros

Cerner provides a good level of autonomy for it's senior roles. The fact that Cerner is a global company also means that you will have great travel opportunities and will get experience working overseas. Health IT is a complex industry but Cerner provides a very comprehensive training program especially in the US and the UK. The company also has a very strong culture which it introduces all new associates in a very impressive orientation program in the very first weeks of joining the company - all new associates are flown to Kansas City to attend this program in a huge and modern facility.

Cons

Some of Cerner's roles are not well defined. Despite a very well organised training program there is very little on the job guidance. This is especially evident in the first few months of joining. The culture in Cerner is that knowledge is power and so information is not always forth-coming from colleagues, although there are the few that are very willing to share. There is constantly a vast amount of information coming through and often multiple sources of information. To add to this, there is a high level of internal movement of staff into different positions and lack of institutional memory.

Better lines of communication with HQ.

Proceed with caution

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Sydney
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney

I have been working at Cerner full-time for less than a year

Pros

Not really a pro but it is all I can think of. Your manager may be located in another country so at least your not micro managed

Cons

Hiring Process: HR is a shared service located in India so you will only speak to a HR shared services employee located there. they are not skilled in talent aquisiton and cannot answer your questions.I applied via a search engine and then was asked to re apply via the link they sent me (same documents, nothing additional asked for ?)
    You will then hear nothing for weeks
    You'll then have a couple of interviews where you will get the impression from the questions they will take anyone with a pulse
    They will tell you they are growing hence the hiring. But holding induction 2 times per week in Kansas City is a sure sign that they are losing employees by the truckload
    They will send you a linked to HIRERIGHT for background checks, You will do all the work having to supply all the documents and they DO NOT call any referee supplied. You will not hear from anyone at CERNER for a few weeks
    The offer you receive will be lower than the benchmark and then you will have the joy of printing and signing a 28 page contract and then scanning it back.
    You'll then be asked to fly to Kansas for induction. From Australia you'll fly economy on Delta and they expect you to pay to book a new flight since they think that you can get through LAX immigration/customs in 1hr and 10 minutes.
    I've regret my choice to work for this company

Soulless stiff US brainwashed robots no sense of Aus market, high turnover and good luck getting a decent salary!

Former Employee - Mid-Senior Level Professional  in  Sydney
    Former Employee - Mid-Senior Level Professional in Sydney

I worked at Cerner full-time for more than a year

Pros

North Sydney office has a nice view of the harbour, er thats about it. Oh sorry you get sent from Aus to the US for induction….. in economy via 3 american cities (27 hour one way trip). Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good luck feeling refreshed before you get brainwashed.

Cons

Company is loosing market share to the new competitor, because guess what…. they have a personality! Hence restructuring hiring and firing quicker than you can say Kansas.

Leadership team are highly uninspiring and bitter because they have been there too long putting up with BS, the CEO Neal Patterson is an absolute jerk, stories of him asking people questions in the lift at head office in Kansas City… if you don't have a question for him when he puts you on the spot or have a good enough response to his question, you are FIRED! Seriously no joke. He is feared…. excellent leadership don't you think? We all know it starts from the top right?

At annual conferences they throw a football into the audience if nobody asks him a question, if the ball hits you you have to ask a question, WTF? One poor lady was carried off who was injured during this ridiculous game. The US brainwashed culture is as stiff as an ironing board, there is a saying "go and drink the Kool-Aid" Try making one joke, they don't get it.

Ridiculously tight budgets, no idea of how Australian customers like to do business because the americans come over in their white undershirts/business shirts 1980's outfits, midwest stiff backward persona and can't build relationships (so cringeworthy it's like watching an accident in slow motion).

Head office in Sydney is a ghost town, no soul or culture whatsoever, empty feeling greedy IT consulting firm who label themselves as a Healthcare organisation in disguise. Shame as some decent products but realistically they are a company who consults/rips off the Australian healthcare system by charging an arm and a leg for scanning medical records and uploading them to the Cerner database, which they own and the hospital has to pay to access… they have a few cool add ons, but I'd rather have a doctor administer my medication rather than a machine designed by some brainwashed IT brown nosing geek from the US who has NO IDEA about medicene or pharmaceuticals on a $50k salary, it's putting Australians out of jobs and replacing them with machines which the big old USA profits from, greedy! Oh and ironically they pay shockingly… and won't budge because (you guessed it) the HR compensation and benefits team is in the US far away from market reality here in Australia.
    Don't get misled or over sold on the company or role, the american dream is an underwhelming reality. Could you get passionate about working for this organisation? I did at the misleading interview process (4 interviews) then after a matter of weeks I thought, what have I done? My heart sank… how could I have got this gig so wrong? Sticking out the year for resume purposes was the most painful thing I have ever one in my career. They don't care about patients or customers, they care for their profits and shareholders, full stop

Get rid of Neal Patterson, clear out the senior management toxic culture, pay your employees what they are worth in relation to the Australian or local market not what the US thinks the world should be paid, get you heads out of your sphincter. Label yourself as you are, an IT consulting firm not a healthcare organisation. Employ local people, with clinical knowledge sending over US IT geek cardboard cut outs, spend some money and let go of your tight US grip on everything, empower your employees to run with their local knowledge and expertise rather than telling them how to do things, it's like pushing BS up a hill with you guys…. for peanuts.
    Final note: You have two ears and one mouth.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Truly altruistic employees who care about healthcare systems, run by management who believe they are accountants.

Former Employee - Engagement Leader
    Former Employee - Engagement Leader

I worked at Cerner full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working with experts in healthcare. QLD region seems to be heading in right direction. Starting to understand importance of tailoring approach for local market. Less arrogant in attitude. Solid platform.

Cons

Snr management clueless on budget management. Sales staff who don't understand IT implementations and a culture that stifles change and quality improvement.
    Project manager's who can't manage projects and architects who have no idea of systems architecture. Heirarchical management structure which appears to serve no practical purpose other than to create ever complex job naming conventions to satisfy egos and doesn't allow for responsibility or organisational reactiveness.

Listen to staff, get rid of US centric outlook, reduce hierarchy and become flexible, with methodology; understand the most appropriate practice and employ some proper engineering principles rather than what is considered 'best practice'.

Cerner in Australia

Former Employee - Project Manager  in  Sydney
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Sydney

I worked at Cerner full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are some decent people

Cons

Backstabbing, jealousy. More like the public service than a business. I guess considering most of their income comes from taxpayers in one way or another explains that. Anyone showing their skills 'beyond their paygrade' is quickly shot down and excluded. Don't accept less than $150k, it's not worth the hassle. Real US bible belt culture

you need to look outside your sector and learn from experts like MS, SAP, Oracle.

Without doubt, one of the most frustrating organisations I have been exposed to

Current Employee - Consultant  in  Melbourne
    Current Employee - Consultant in Melbourne

I have been working at Cerner as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Great office & location
    Niche provider to an industry that will continue to grow whilst others contract
    IP available to employees
    One of the leading providers of software solutions to Health sector
    Financial stability of organisation - longevity in market

Cons

Antiquated management structure and systems
    Lack of trust and support within employee groups and between managers and staff
    Relatively inflexible and resistant to constructive criticism
    Work within the specific scope of your role and don't overlap with other position functions - roles become repetitive and churn patterns predictable
    Huge HO costs as a result of over staffing and job creation for MO
    Inconsistent approach to People, Culture and Career development

Great people, but they promote the wrong people

Former Employee - Senior Consultant  in  Sydney
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Sydney

I worked at Cerner full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

You get to work with some great people. The Cerner way of hiring (as anyone who's gone through the recruiting process would know) is a little unorthodox. But, it must work, as many (not all) people you get to work with are smart, and work hard to achieve project / company goals. I had the pleasure of working with some very talented people at Cerner. You can learn a lot of such people.

Cons

I worked for the consulting arm of Cerner in a technical role. The key frustration for me was that most of the managers in consulting did not understand technology or engineering. Cerner consulting is concerned about one thing - turning on boxes to get support fees. Consulting - especially anything technical - is just an inconvenient process to that happening, and I feel some very talented people get disregarded as a result. Talented technical people are dismissed, while fast talking, self promoting sales types are promoted.

Just because you don;t understand technology, doesn't mean that technical people can not be managers and drive vision for the company.

Wonderful Experience get to learn alot from many qualified Network Engineers

Current Employee - Apprentice  in  Kansas City, KS (US)
    Current Employee - Apprentice in Kansas City, KS (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time for less than a year

Pros

Friendly atmosphere awards go getters. You get out what you put in. Don't be lazy and expect advancement.

Cons

The Network space I think should be moved back to the way it should be with all of the Engineers sitting in the same area for collaboration.

Fast paced and understaffed

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good benefits, overall culture is good, on-site clinic for KC employees is very good. Cerner stock given for 401k match has done well historically.

Cons

Some teams are much better than others, and they aren't the ones that have lots of openings to move into. In many positions there is no such thing as work-life balance. Company is understaffed in many areas - with some recent events, I suspect too much money was spent on the recent acquisition and many areas have been left underfunded. Reviews are pooled, so someone doesn't get a raise even if everyone performs well. If you want to move up fast try to get to a fast growing area like population health. Some people act incredibly entitled and arrogant as if they are the only ones who do anything important in the company.

Growth is good, just make sure it's under control

Worked for Cerner for 10+ years

I worked at Cerner full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Working for a visionary company committed to using technology to transform health care; working with extremely bright, hardworking, competent people; the managers I had while I worked there were excellent and highly ethical, but I had colleagues for whom this was not the case; in my division, if you were skilled at your position, had initiative and a strong desire to make a contribution, and were very proactive, you were offered opportunities to work on rather interesting & challenging projects. Decent salary with stock options offered to higher level employees who performed well (1 = highest level, 9 = entry level ... I was a 3).

Cons

There are a number of 'silos' within Cerner, but I suppose this is true of any large company to some extent or another; By silos I mean divisions/groups/teams that have overlapping and/or complementary interests/goals/functions, but have little to no communication/collaboration with these groups; frequent organizational restructuring, which could be aggravating (sometimes felt like being in a house built on shifting sand, so to speak); intermittent re-prioritization and re-allocation of resources to chase after the next 'big thing' was also sometimes irritating; definitely a "do it now" culture...sometimes tight deadlines were established even for particular tasks/projects at hand had no great urgency to the internal/external client requesting the work; if you record only 40 hours per week on your time sheet for a period of time, you will be confronted about this and advised of Cerner's expectation for everyone to work more than 40 hours per week; I intermittently had to work very long hours on projects to complete them in time, but this is a growth-oriented, for profit, publicly traded IT company, so this is not terribly surprising.

Overall a very good company. Definitely has the potential to achieve its vision of using technology to transform health care. See 'Cons' above for opportunities for improvement.

Worked for Cerner? Contribute to the Community!