Cerner Reviews

Updated 19 October 2014
3.5

Cerner Chairman, CEO & President Neal L. Patterson
Neal L. Patterson

Pros
  • They will make you work at least 65 hours a week, no work life balance at all (in 20 reviews)

• Cerner is a great place to learn something about anything you maybe interested in (in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • In many positions there is no such thing as work-life balance (in 72 reviews)

• In hand is less than expected, some times high workload you have to work for long hours, (in 65 reviews)

More Highlights

Cerner isn't a bad company to work for.

Former Employee - Strategist in Sydney
    Former Employee - Strategist in Sydney

I worked at Cerner

Pros

Cerner provides a good level of autonomy for it's senior roles. The fact that Cerner is a global company also means that you will have great travel opportunities and will get experience working overseas. Health IT is a complex industry but Cerner provides a very comprehensive training program especially in the US and the UK. The company also has a very strong culture which it introduces all new associates in a very impressive orientation program in the very first weeks of joining the company - all new associates are flown to Kansas City to attend this program in a huge and modern facility.

Cons

Some of Cerner's roles are not well defined. Despite a very well organised training program there is very little on the job guidance. This is especially evident in the first few months of joining. The culture in Cerner is that knowledge is power and so information is not always forth-coming from colleagues, although there are the few that are very willing to share. There is constantly a vast amount of information coming through and often multiple sources of information. To add to this, there is a high level of internal movement of staff into different positions and lack of institutional memory.

Better lines of communication with HQ.

Proceed with caution

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sydney

I have been working at Cerner full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Not really a pro but it is all I can think of. Your manager may be located in another country so at least your not micro managed

Cons

Hiring Process: HR is a shared service located in India so you will only speak to a HR shared services employee located there. they are not skilled in talent aquisiton and cannot answer your questions.I applied via a search engine and then was asked to re apply via the link they sent me (same documents, nothing additional asked for ?)
    You will then hear nothing for weeks
    You'll then have a couple of interviews where you will get the impression from the questions they will take anyone with a pulse
    They will tell you they are growing hence the hiring. But holding induction 2 times per week in Kansas City is a sure sign that they are losing employees by the truckload
    They will send you a linked to HIRERIGHT for background checks, You will do all the work having to supply all the documents and they DO NOT call any referee supplied. You will not hear from anyone at CERNER for a few weeks
    The offer you receive will be lower than the benchmark and then you will have the joy of printing and signing a 28 page contract and then scanning it back.
    You'll then be asked to fly to Kansas for induction. From Australia you'll fly economy on Delta and they expect you to pay to book a new flight since they think that you can get through LAX immigration/customs in 1hr and 10 minutes.
    I've regret my choice to work for this company

Soulless stiff US brainwashed robots no sense of Aus market, high turnover and good luck getting a decent salary!

Former Employee - Mid-Senior Level Professional in Sydney
    Former Employee - Mid-Senior Level Professional in Sydney

I worked at Cerner full-time (more than an year)

Pros

North Sydney office has a nice view of the harbour, er thats about it. Oh sorry you get sent from Aus to the US for induction….. in economy via 3 american cities (27 hour one way trip). Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good luck feeling refreshed before you get brainwashed.

Cons

Company is loosing market share to the new competitor, because guess what…. they have a personality! Hence restructuring hiring and firing quicker than you can say Kansas.

Leadership team are highly uninspiring and bitter because they have been there too long putting up with BS, the CEO Neal Patterson is an absolute jerk, stories of him asking people questions in the lift at head office in Kansas City… if you don't have a question for him when he puts you on the spot or have a good enough response to his question, you are FIRED! Seriously no joke. He is feared…. excellent leadership don't you think? We all know it starts from the top right?

At annual conferences they throw a football into the audience if nobody asks him a question, if the ball hits you you have to ask a question, WTF? One poor lady was carried off who was injured during this ridiculous game. The US brainwashed culture is as stiff as an ironing board, there is a saying "go and drink the Kool-Aid" Try making one joke, they don't get it.

Ridiculously tight budgets, no idea of how Australian customers like to do business because the americans come over in their white undershirts/business shirts 1980's outfits, midwest stiff backward persona and can't build relationships (so cringeworthy it's like watching an accident in slow motion).

Head office in Sydney is a ghost town, no soul or culture whatsoever, empty feeling greedy IT consulting firm who label themselves as a Healthcare organisation in disguise. Shame as some decent products but realistically they are a company who consults/rips off the Australian healthcare system by charging an arm and a leg for scanning medical records and uploading them to the Cerner database, which they own and the hospital has to pay to access… they have a few cool add ons, but I'd rather have a doctor administer my medication rather than a machine designed by some brainwashed IT brown nosing geek from the US who has NO IDEA about medicene or pharmaceuticals on a $50k salary, it's putting Australians out of jobs and replacing them with machines which the big old USA profits from, greedy! Oh and ironically they pay shockingly… and won't budge because (you guessed it) the HR compensation and benefits team is in the US far away from market reality here in Australia.
    Don't get misled or over sold on the company or role, the american dream is an underwhelming reality. Could you get passionate about working for this organisation? I did at the misleading interview process (4 interviews) then after a matter of weeks I thought, what have I done? My heart sank… how could I have got this gig so wrong? Sticking out the year for resume purposes was the most painful thing I have ever one in my career. They don't care about patients or customers, they care for their profits and shareholders, full stop

Get rid of Neal Patterson, clear out the senior management toxic culture, pay your employees what they are worth in relation to the Australian or local market not what the US thinks the world should be paid, get you heads out of your sphincter. Label yourself as you are, an IT consulting firm not a healthcare organisation. Employ local people, with clinical knowledge sending over US IT geek cardboard cut outs, spend some money and let go of your tight US grip on everything, empower your employees to run with their local knowledge and expertise rather than telling them how to do things, it's like pushing BS up a hill with you guys…. for peanuts.
    Final note: You have two ears and one mouth.

Truly altruistic employees who care about healthcare systems, run by management who believe they are accountants.

Former Employee - Engagement Leader
    Former Employee - Engagement Leader

I worked at Cerner full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working with experts in healthcare. QLD region seems to be heading in right direction. Starting to understand importance of tailoring approach for local market. Less arrogant in attitude. Solid platform.

Cons

Snr management clueless on budget management. Sales staff who don't understand IT implementations and a culture that stifles change and quality improvement.
    Project manager's who can't manage projects and architects who have no idea of systems architecture. Heirarchical management structure which appears to serve no practical purpose other than to create ever complex job naming conventions to satisfy egos and doesn't allow for responsibility or organisational reactiveness.

Listen to staff, get rid of US centric outlook, reduce hierarchy and become flexible, with methodology; understand the most appropriate practice and employ some proper engineering principles rather than what is considered 'best practice'.

Cerner in Australia

Former Employee - Project Manager in Sydney
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Sydney

I worked at Cerner full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are some decent people

Cons

Backstabbing, jealousy. More like the public service than a business. I guess considering most of their income comes from taxpayers in one way or another explains that. Anyone showing their skills 'beyond their paygrade' is quickly shot down and excluded. Don't accept less than $150k, it's not worth the hassle. Real US bible belt culture

you need to look outside your sector and learn from experts like MS, SAP, Oracle.

Without doubt, one of the most frustrating organisations I have been exposed to

Current Employee - Consultant in Melbourne
    Current Employee - Consultant in Melbourne

I have been working at Cerner as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Great office & location
    Niche provider to an industry that will continue to grow whilst others contract
    IP available to employees
    One of the leading providers of software solutions to Health sector
    Financial stability of organisation - longevity in market

Cons

Antiquated management structure and systems
    Lack of trust and support within employee groups and between managers and staff
    Relatively inflexible and resistant to constructive criticism
    Work within the specific scope of your role and don't overlap with other position functions - roles become repetitive and churn patterns predictable
    Huge HO costs as a result of over staffing and job creation for MO
    Inconsistent approach to People, Culture and Career development

Great people, but they promote the wrong people

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Sydney
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Sydney

I worked at Cerner full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You get to work with some great people. The Cerner way of hiring (as anyone who's gone through the recruiting process would know) is a little unorthodox. But, it must work, as many (not all) people you get to work with are smart, and work hard to achieve project / company goals. I had the pleasure of working with some very talented people at Cerner. You can learn a lot of such people.

Cons

I worked for the consulting arm of Cerner in a technical role. The key frustration for me was that most of the managers in consulting did not understand technology or engineering. Cerner consulting is concerned about one thing - turning on boxes to get support fees. Consulting - especially anything technical - is just an inconvenient process to that happening, and I feel some very talented people get disregarded as a result. Talented technical people are dismissed, while fast talking, self promoting sales types are promoted.

Just because you don;t understand technology, doesn't mean that technical people can not be managers and drive vision for the company.

best company

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Bangalore (India)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Bangalore (India)

I have been working at Cerner full-time (more than an year)

Pros

good salary, vry good working environment, flexible timings, laptop is given to all empolyees, associates are given great facilities here. you will enjoy working here

Cons

no cons as such .. .. dont trust roumers about th company . no cons as such .. .. dont trust roumers about th company . no cons as such .. .. dont trust roumers about th company .

It's worth it if you're up to it

Former Employee - Velocity Software Engineer in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Velocity Software Engineer in Kansas City, MO (US)

I worked at Cerner as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Excellent Healthcare
    Company culture
    Good starting salary

Cons

A fair warning to the budding software developer: if the company courting you tosses out terms like "rockstar", "guru", or other hyperbolic buzzwords that make your developer desk job sound like you're going to be a programming god, be wary. This means that they are going to take advantage of your free time once they've got you on salary. I've seen my friends working until 9 PM some nights getting their tasks done. Sure, they're making a lot more than I am, but I value coming home while the sun is out.

Salary increased 140% over 10 years.

Current Employee - Mid-level manager / Software architect in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

1. Pay
    In my experience, the majority (75%) of US software engineers get a 3% annual raise. Top 10% get 6% and top 3% get 9% raises consistently each year. Raises are merit based. Higher performance equals better pay.

Leveling up / promotion increases pay range and can net an additionally large increase of 10+%.

*I'm not positive but believe most early career developers in India get larger merit based raises -- ~9% rather than 3% is status quo.

Executives get performance bonuses, stock options, etc. Early career developers do not! High performing non-exec developers can get stock options during the annual review time if they meet stringent criteria.

2. Learning
    While Cerner has self-study and instructor led class offerings, you will learn a tremendous amount on the job and from collaboration with peers. I joined with basic knowledge of one primary software coding language. I have used more than 10 languages on various projects over time. With over 2000 engineers on staff, a lot is learned through collaboration via online forums ( think about an internal Stack Overflow website ).

Cerner spends a tremendous amount of time coaching associates to be team leads, managers, and executives. The leadership training is first class and has frequent involvement from senior executives. Training is more advanced for US engineering than India engineering currently but improving in India.

3. Endless projects
    After a month of settling in with training, etc - you will get a project. After three months, you will feel more comfortable with meeting expectations. At four months, you will be handed more responsibility and become aware there is a lot that you do not know. After about a year, you will become a productive associate. You will quickly find out that software projects are never 'done.' There will always be feature upgrades, repairs, and new capabilities to add. The project backlog is endless.

tl;dr -- There is plenty of work to do. You will not be counting the hours for your shift to end due to boredom.

4. Career opportunities
    There are a couple hundred development teams and a couple thousand developers. Just about every technology and software language you can imagine is leveraged ( desktop apps, servers, cloud, windows, linux, mobile ( apple, windows, android ), web, hardware, virtualization, big data, automation, ruby/python/perl/java/c++/c/vb/groovy/sql/ccl/html/javascript/etc ).

Bored, stagnant, don't like your peers? Stick out your current team for 18 months and switch to something new. Tired of development? I know several associates that started out as software developers and transitioned into system engineer, consulting, sales, client managers, support, or management roles. Want to repot? With clients all over the US and in several other countries, you can relocate to different offices. This is particularly true if you speak fluent Spanish or French. Most development is done in KC but engineering types skills are needed everywhere.

Cons

A pro for clients and stakeholders is a con for associates. Like ALL profitable companies, you are paid for results rather than effort. While most developers average 45 hours per week over the course of a year, there will be times you must work considerable more.

Cerner will not 'require' you to work extra hours but you may struggle with life/work balance as an individual. Honestly, you can work 24 hours a day and never 'finish' the project backlog. This means you must have the self-discipline to shut-down for the day at a time that works for you. However, Cerner takes the balance consideration seriously. Managers typically monitor for excessive work hours and will hound you to take vacation, give you help via capacity, or provide comp time.

Most early career associates aspire to make more money fast. To get better raises, you have to outperform peers with similar experience. Few associates can notably produce more results in the same time as their peers. As result, some ambitious associates choose to work more until their experience improves to the point they can work 'smarter' to generate higher productivity.

1. Give bonus incentives to all associates that align with executive incentives to accomplish top imperatives.
    2. Keep performing one on one discussions to stay in sync and help associates overcome obstacles.
    3. Consider having managers work as coaches only rather than player/coach. A manager that is 'playing' individual contributor cannot 'coach' and enable his or her associates with great efficiency or effectiveness.