Cerner

Cerner Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014

Cerner Chairman, CEO & President Neal L. Patterson

Neal L. Patterson

Pros
  • Cerner takes a genuine interest in their employees and their families (work/life balance is important) (in 17 reviews)

• Great place if you want to learn and are a quick study (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • Indian employees are treated like slaves, and never think of work life balance at all (in 63 reviews)

• In hand is less than expected, some times high workload you have to work for long hours, (in 58 reviews)

More Highlights

Cerner isn't a bad company to work for.

Strategist (Former Employee) Sydney

ProsCerner provides a good level of autonomy for it's senior roles. The fact that Cerner is a global company also means that you will have great travel opportunities and will get experience working overseas. Health IT is a complex industry but Cerner provides a very comprehensive training program especially in the US and the UK. The company also has a very strong culture which it introduces all new associates in a very impressive orientation program in the very first weeks of joining the company - all new associates are flown to Kansas City to attend this program in a huge and modern facility.

ConsSome of Cerner's roles are not well defined. Despite a very well organised training program there is very little on the job guidance. This is especially evident in the first few months of joining. The culture in Cerner is that knowledge is power and so information is not always forth-coming from colleagues, although there are the few that are very willing to share. There is constantly a vast amount of information coming through and often multiple sources of information. To add to this, there is a high level of internal movement of staff into different positions and lack of institutional memory.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter lines of communication with HQ.

Soulless stiff US brainwashed robots no sense of Aus market, high turnover and good luck getting a decent salary!

Mid-Senior Level Professional (Former Employee) Sydney

ProsNorth Sydney office has a nice view of the harbour, er thats about it. Oh sorry you get sent from Aus to the US for induction….. in economy via 3 american cities (27 hour one way trip). Awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Good luck feeling refreshed before you get brainwashed.

ConsCompany is loosing market share to the new competitor, because guess what…. they have a personality! Hence restructuring hiring and firing quicker than you can say Kansas.

Leadership team are highly uninspiring and bitter because they have been there too long putting up with BS, the CEO Neal Patterson is an absolute jerk, stories of him asking people questions in the lift at head office in Kansas City… if you don't have a question for him when he puts you on the spot or have a good enough response to his question, you are FIRED! Seriously no joke. He is feared…. excellent leadership don't you think? We all know it starts from the top right?

At annual conferences they throw a football into the audience if nobody asks him a question, if the ball hits you you have to ask a question, WTF? One poor lady was carried off who was injured during this ridiculous game. The US brainwashed culture is as stiff as an ironing board, there is a saying "go and drink the Kool-Aid" Try making one joke, they don't get it.

Ridiculously tight budgets, no idea of how Australian customers like to do business because the americans come over in their white undershirts/business shirts 1980's outfits, midwest stiff backward persona and can't build relationships (so cringeworthy it's like watching an accident in slow motion).

Head office in Sydney is a ghost town, no soul or culture whatsoever, empty feeling greedy IT consulting firm who label themselves as a Healthcare organisation in disguise. Shame as some decent products but realistically they are a company who consults/rips off the Australian healthcare system by charging an arm and a leg for scanning medical records and uploading them to the Cerner database, which they own and the hospital has to pay to access… they have a few cool add ons, but I'd rather have a doctor administer my medication rather than a machine designed by some brainwashed IT brown nosing geek from the US who has NO IDEA about medicene or pharmaceuticals on a $50k salary, it's putting Australians out of jobs and replacing them with machines which the big old USA profits from, greedy! Oh and ironically they pay shockingly… and won't budge because (you guessed it) the HR compensation and benefits team is in the US far away from market reality here in Australia.
    Don't get misled or over sold on the company or role, the american dream is an underwhelming reality. Could you get passionate about working for this organisation? I did at the misleading interview process (4 interviews) then after a matter of weeks I thought, what have I done? My heart sank… how could I have got this gig so wrong? Sticking out the year for resume purposes was the most painful thing I have ever one in my career. They don't care about patients or customers, they care for their profits and shareholders, full stop

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of Neal Patterson, clear out the senior management toxic culture, pay your employees what they are worth in relation to the Australian or local market not what the US thinks the world should be paid, get you heads out of your sphincter. Label yourself as you are, an IT consulting firm not a healthcare organisation. Employ local people, with clinical knowledge sending over US IT geek cardboard cut outs, spend some money and let go of your tight US grip on everything, empower your employees to run with their local knowledge and expertise rather than telling them how to do things, it's like pushing BS up a hill with you guys…. for peanuts.
    Final note: You have two ears and one mouth.

Truly altruistic employees who care about healthcare systems, run by management who believe they are accountants.

Engagement Leader (Former Employee)

ProsWorking with experts in healthcare. QLD region seems to be heading in right direction. Starting to understand importance of tailoring approach for local market. Less arrogant in attitude. Solid platform.

ConsSnr management clueless on budget management. Sales staff who don't understand IT implementations and a culture that stifles change and quality improvement.
    Project manager's who can't manage projects and architects who have no idea of systems architecture. Heirarchical management structure which appears to serve no practical purpose other than to create ever complex job naming conventions to satisfy egos and doesn't allow for responsibility or organisational reactiveness.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to staff, get rid of US centric outlook, reduce hierarchy and become flexible, with methodology; understand the most appropriate practice and employ some proper engineering principles rather than what is considered 'best practice'.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Cerner in Australia

Project Manager (Former Employee) Sydney

ProsThere are some decent people

ConsBackstabbing, jealousy. More like the public service than a business. I guess considering most of their income comes from taxpayers in one way or another explains that. Anyone showing their skills 'beyond their paygrade' is quickly shot down and excluded. Don't accept less than $150k, it's not worth the hassle. Real US bible belt culture

Advice to Senior Managementyou need to look outside your sector and learn from experts like MS, SAP, Oracle.

Without doubt, one of the most frustrating organisations I have been exposed to

Consultant (Current Employee) Melbourne

ProsGreat office & location
    Niche provider to an industry that will continue to grow whilst others contract
    IP available to employees
    One of the leading providers of software solutions to Health sector
    Financial stability of organisation - longevity in market

ConsAntiquated management structure and systems
    Lack of trust and support within employee groups and between managers and staff
    Relatively inflexible and resistant to constructive criticism
    Work within the specific scope of your role and don't overlap with other position functions - roles become repetitive and churn patterns predictable
    Huge HO costs as a result of over staffing and job creation for MO
    Inconsistent approach to People, Culture and Career development

Great people, but they promote the wrong people

Senior Consultant (Former Employee) Sydney

ProsYou get to work with some great people. The Cerner way of hiring (as anyone who's gone through the recruiting process would know) is a little unorthodox. But, it must work, as many (not all) people you get to work with are smart, and work hard to achieve project / company goals. I had the pleasure of working with some very talented people at Cerner. You can learn a lot of such people.

ConsI worked for the consulting arm of Cerner in a technical role. The key frustration for me was that most of the managers in consulting did not understand technology or engineering. Cerner consulting is concerned about one thing - turning on boxes to get support fees. Consulting - especially anything technical - is just an inconvenient process to that happening, and I feel some very talented people get disregarded as a result. Talented technical people are dismissed, while fast talking, self promoting sales types are promoted.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust because you don;t understand technology, doesn't mean that technical people can not be managers and drive vision for the company.

Cerner is a great company to work for

Operations Support Specialist (Current Employee) Kansas City, MO (US)

ProsThey have great focus on health and well being of their associates. Competitive pay, and benefits also.

ConsCerner can be a very demanding place to work. Some roles don't seem to have enough work/life balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementPoor people skills in management go unnoticed.. I've seen some very cruel people in authority. Leadership training would benefit many.

Great place to learn the ropse

Technical Support Analyst (Current Employee) Kansas City, MO (US)

ProsStarting pay is decent. Personal growth, you will learn where you want to go quickly. Ability to move around on different teams if your leadership is supportive.

ConsBig place. Hard to stand out. If leadership sees fit they can deny internal transfers because of "business need". Basically they can give you litter to no explanation and keep you doing something you do not enjoy.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more consistent and transparent. Also do a better job recognizing people who work the hardest. Stop being "buddy buddy" with certain associates and take the time to get to know your other employees. If they feel you care about them maybe they won't be afraid to speak up and step outside their shell.

It has been a positive experience.

Learning Consultant (Current Employee) Kansas City, MO (US)

ProsHard work that challenges you each day.

Consi do not have any cons

Advice to Senior Managementi do not have any advice for management

Great experience

ProsThere is a lot of room for growth and opportunities for advancement.

ConsIn a high travel role, work life balance can be difficult

Worked for Cerner? Contribute to the Community!