Cerner

Cerner Reviews

Updated Apr 13, 2014

Cerner Chairman, CEO & President Neal L. Patterson

Neal L. Patterson

Pros:
  • "Great place to build experience and learn about the healthcare industry"
    in 25 reviews
  • "Cerner is a good place to start a career"
    in 11 reviews
Cons:
  • "You can get caught in a bad work/life balance with ease"
    in 41 reviews
  • "Sometimes there are log hours, but what company doesn't have long hours these days"
    in 53 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Cerner isn't a bad company to work for.

Strategist (Former Employee)
Sydney

I worked at Cerner

ProsCerner provides a good level of autonomy for it's senior roles. The fact that Cerner is a global company also means that you will have great travel opportunities and will get experience working overseas. Health IT is a complex industry but Cerner provides a very comprehensive training program especially in the US and the UK. The company also has a very strong culture which it introduces all new associates in a very impressive orientation program in the very first weeks of joining the company - all new associates are flown to Kansas City to attend this program in a huge and modern facility.

ConsSome of Cerner's roles are not well defined. Despite a very well organised training program there is very little on the job guidance. This is especially evident in the first few months of joining. The culture in Cerner is that knowledge is power and so information is not always forth-coming from colleagues, although there are the few that are very willing to share. There is constantly a vast amount of information coming through and often multiple sources of information. To add to this, there is a high level of internal movement of staff into different positions and lack of institutional memory.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter lines of communication with HQ.

Truly altruistic employees who care about healthcare systems, run by management who believe they are accountants.

Engagement LEader (Former Employee)

I worked at Cerner full-time for more than a year

ProsWorking with experts in healthcare. QLD region seems to be heading in right direction. Starting to understand importance of tailoring approach for local market. Less arrogant in attitude. Solid platform.

ConsSnr management clueless on budget management. Sales staff who don't understand IT implementations and a culture that stifles change and quality improvement.
Project manager's who can't manage projects and architects who have no idea of systems architecture. Heirarchical management structure which appears to serve no practical purpose other than to create ever complex job naming conventions to satisfy egos and doesn't allow for responsibility or organisational reactiveness.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to staff, get rid of US centric outlook, reduce hierarchy and become flexible, with methodology; understand the most appropriate practice and employ some proper engineering principles rather than what is considered 'best practice'.

Without doubt, one of the most frustrating organisations I have been exposed to

Consultant (Current Employee)
Melbourne

I have been working at Cerner as a contractor for more than a year

ProsGreat office & location
Niche provider to an industry that will continue to grow whilst others contract
IP available to employees
One of the leading providers of software solutions to Health sector
Financial stability of organisation - longevity in market

ConsAntiquated management structure and systems
Lack of trust and support within employee groups and between managers and staff
Relatively inflexible and resistant to constructive criticism
Work within the specific scope of your role and don't overlap with other position functions - roles become repetitive and churn patterns predictable
Huge HO costs as a result of over staffing and job creation for MO
Inconsistent approach to People, Culture and Career development

Great people, but they promote the wrong people

Senior Consultant (Former Employee)
Sydney

I worked at Cerner full-time for more than 5 years

ProsYou get to work with some great people. The Cerner way of hiring (as anyone who's gone through the recruiting process would know) is a little unorthodox. But, it must work, as many (not all) people you get to work with are smart, and work hard to achieve project / company goals. I had the pleasure of working with some very talented people at Cerner. You can learn a lot of such people.

ConsI worked for the consulting arm of Cerner in a technical role. The key frustration for me was that most of the managers in consulting did not understand technology or engineering. Cerner consulting is concerned about one thing - turning on boxes to get support fees. Consulting - especially anything technical - is just an inconvenient process to that happening, and I feel some very talented people get disregarded as a result. Talented technical people are dismissed, while fast talking, self promoting sales types are promoted.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust because you don;t understand technology, doesn't mean that technical people can not be managers and drive vision for the company.

Cerner took my career to a level I was not even able to imagine a year prior.

Solution Delivery Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at Cerner full-time for more than 3 years

ProsCerner takes a genuine interest in their employees and their families (work/life balance is important). The extensive training Cerner invests in their employees in top notch and really prepares the employees to give the best service to their Clients. Cerner participates and gives back to the community and encourages employees and their families to do so as well. Cerner has a Health Clinic right on campus to minimize the time employees need to be out of work; encourages preventive care and a healthy lifestyle. The on campus cafeteria is like going to a 5 star restaurant with McDonald prices; foods from vegan, seafood, homestyle, etc and fresh made to order everyday. There is an on campus gym, fitness center, pool, raquetball courts etc. since they encourage their employees to reduce stress with physical fitness; a healthy body is a healthy mind and ultimately benefits the Clients.

ConsThe area I was in was consulting and the weeks on the road tend to take a toll after a while; often expected to teach classes, hold knowledge transfers etc on Fridays after being on the road catering to the Client for 50-60 hours Monday through Thursday. I expected pay increases more often or at least when they came around to be a larger percentage. The pay increases where based on the Corporation as a whole and not necessarily the venue in which the employee worked and their participation in the profits.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the family atmosphere and continue to include the employees and their families in the philanthropy. When an employee is paid on salary, refer back to their actual hours worked for the Client and in house with knowledge transfers...don't assume it's a typical 40 hour week.

Rewarding Career: You control your Career, Work\Life Balance and overall Happiness.

CWx Systems Engineer (Current Employee)
Kansas City, KS (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time for more than a year

ProsA growing business that offers a lot of ability to continue to grow and develop as an associate.

If you take the time to control your career you can grow with the company, and move on to bigger and better projects and experiences.

The benefits package is nice, the gyms at each main campus are awesome and the KC community tends to offer discounts to Cerner associates.

I have been given so many opportunities to grow and shine even though I started out of college with no experience. Now I lead my own events and mentor others.

ConsIf you are lazy or want someone else to control your destiny then you can lose a healthy work\life balance. I have seen people come in and expect to be handed everything vs. work for it and stand up for themselves. They don't stick around long and that is perfectly fine with me.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to do what to are doing, investing in your associates and improving how you value them. It is appreciated and felt.

Values and culture

KCIT Technical Apprentice (Current Employee)
Kansas City, KS (US)

I have been working at Cerner part-time for more than a year

ProsCerner has excellent values and a very accepting culture in that they promote and truly believe in the benefits of diversity within the workplace. They want individual for their knowledge regardless of what they look like!!
Plenty of Duck Dynasty bearded and full body tattooed employees... it really is impressive!

ConsWhen compared to other companies with similar position and skill requirements:
The only real con, is probably the same for any other company that has such an excellent culture to the point that people generally are willing to work for a little less salary since they get so many more other accommodations. At Cerner you have the flexability to work from home and have almost completely paid for healthcare with almost no out of pocket cost. Plus discounts on what seems like everything under the son as they have a relationship with almost every company and restaurant one can think of.
So because of all that and so much more that I am forgetting, employees do accept less pay then what they might make elsewhere, but as they feel they are getting so much more outside of pay that it more then makes up for the difference.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have excellent values and culture with supreme benefits but the experienced employees need to be retained as to prevent high value knowledge loss to other companies. I would evaluate what it might take to keep them on to prevent employee churn.

I have enjoyed my time there.

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Cerner full-time for more than 10 years

ProsWork and life balance. Empowered.

ConsSome stress but quite manageable.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

You won't be bored

Technology Architect (Current Employee)

I have been working at Cerner full-time for more than 3 years

ProsKeeps you very busy. There is great job security and growth. Get to challenge yourself regularly. There is frequent travel which some would consider a pro.

ConsWork / life balance can be brutal at times. Pay is not where it should be. You need to ask for it to get it.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more transparent about job and salary levels.

Good Company Strong Future

Senior Software Architect (Current Employee)

I have been working at Cerner full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGrowth business, good executive leadership, evolving engineering culture, large population of entry level folks, good facilities but stressed due to growth.

ConsPoor project and process management culture. Poor business analysis and strategy in many cases that rely on human decisions and opinions, rather than data driven, workflow driven, and usage driven design.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to work on management culture. Instead of relying on identifying born leaders, invest more in breeding managers.

Worked for Cerner? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cerner reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Cerner CEO Neal L. Patterson. All 502 reviews are posted anonymously by Cerner employees.