Cerner

Cerner Reviews

Updated Apr 23, 2014

Cerner Chairman, CEO & President Neal L. Patterson

Neal L. Patterson

Pros:
  • "Cerner is a great place to start your career out of college"
    in 26 reviews
  • "Cerner is a good place to start a career"
    in 11 reviews
Cons:
  • "Most struggle to find the work/life balance and have issues with excessive stress pushed by management"
    in 48 reviews
  • "Sometimes there are log hours, but what company doesn't have long hours these days"
    in 54 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Cerner isn't a bad company to work for.

Strategist (Former Employee)
Sydney

I worked at Cerner

ProsCerner provides a good level of autonomy for it's senior roles. The fact that Cerner is a global company also means that you will have great travel opportunities and will get experience working overseas. Health IT is a complex industry but Cerner provides a very comprehensive training program especially in the US and the UK. The company also has a very strong culture which it introduces all new associates in a very impressive orientation program in the very first weeks of joining the company - all new associates are flown to Kansas City to attend this program in a huge and modern facility.

ConsSome of Cerner's roles are not well defined. Despite a very well organised training program there is very little on the job guidance. This is especially evident in the first few months of joining. The culture in Cerner is that knowledge is power and so information is not always forth-coming from colleagues, although there are the few that are very willing to share. There is constantly a vast amount of information coming through and often multiple sources of information. To add to this, there is a high level of internal movement of staff into different positions and lack of institutional memory.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter lines of communication with HQ.

Truly altruistic employees who care about healthcare systems, run by management who believe they are accountants.

Engagement LEader (Former Employee)

I worked at Cerner full-time for more than a year

ProsWorking with experts in healthcare. QLD region seems to be heading in right direction. Starting to understand importance of tailoring approach for local market. Less arrogant in attitude. Solid platform.

ConsSnr management clueless on budget management. Sales staff who don't understand IT implementations and a culture that stifles change and quality improvement.
Project manager's who can't manage projects and architects who have no idea of systems architecture. Heirarchical management structure which appears to serve no practical purpose other than to create ever complex job naming conventions to satisfy egos and doesn't allow for responsibility or organisational reactiveness.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to staff, get rid of US centric outlook, reduce hierarchy and become flexible, with methodology; understand the most appropriate practice and employ some proper engineering principles rather than what is considered 'best practice'.

Without doubt, one of the most frustrating organisations I have been exposed to

Consultant (Current Employee)
Melbourne

I have been working at Cerner as a contractor for more than a year

ProsGreat office & location
Niche provider to an industry that will continue to grow whilst others contract
IP available to employees
One of the leading providers of software solutions to Health sector
Financial stability of organisation - longevity in market

ConsAntiquated management structure and systems
Lack of trust and support within employee groups and between managers and staff
Relatively inflexible and resistant to constructive criticism
Work within the specific scope of your role and don't overlap with other position functions - roles become repetitive and churn patterns predictable
Huge HO costs as a result of over staffing and job creation for MO
Inconsistent approach to People, Culture and Career development

Great people, but they promote the wrong people

Senior Consultant (Former Employee)
Sydney

I worked at Cerner full-time for more than 5 years

ProsYou get to work with some great people. The Cerner way of hiring (as anyone who's gone through the recruiting process would know) is a little unorthodox. But, it must work, as many (not all) people you get to work with are smart, and work hard to achieve project / company goals. I had the pleasure of working with some very talented people at Cerner. You can learn a lot of such people.

ConsI worked for the consulting arm of Cerner in a technical role. The key frustration for me was that most of the managers in consulting did not understand technology or engineering. Cerner consulting is concerned about one thing - turning on boxes to get support fees. Consulting - especially anything technical - is just an inconvenient process to that happening, and I feel some very talented people get disregarded as a result. Talented technical people are dismissed, while fast talking, self promoting sales types are promoted.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust because you don;t understand technology, doesn't mean that technical people can not be managers and drive vision for the company.

It all depends on where you are at....

Business Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Cerner full-time for more than a year

ProsFlexible Hours, Amazing Benefits, Great Technology. Cerner has one of the most relaxed and innovative working atmospheres that I have worked in. They are on the forefront of technology, and the deliver this to their associates.

ConsDepending on where you end up, management can be a challenge. They are either micro managers or don't manage at all. There are some people that ARE NOT cut out to be managers of people, but are. The good news is that you are able to change roles every 18 months or so if you wish. The issue here is that Cerner is SUCH a complex business, and being proficient in one area does you no good in the other. I know people that are experts in areas, but have no idea what goes on in others. Pay and vacations are about the norm. You can expect a "cost of living" increase in early roles, and as you climb the ladder, the raises and compensation get better. Basically, they wait around to see if you are going to stay, so they pay marginal to begin with. Don't let anyone fool you, there is money to be made in this company if you work hard enough.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your associates, and listen to their thoughts and opinions. Someone that is entry level might have an idea that could be the next big thing or revolutionize the way we do business... Also, don't hold people back just because you want to keep them on your team!

I have enjoyed my time there.

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time for more than 10 years

ProsWork and life balance. Empowered.

ConsSome stress but quite manageable.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

Rewarding Career: You control your Career, Work\Life Balance and overall Happiness.

CWx Systems Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Cerner full-time for more than a year

ProsA growing business that offers a lot of ability to continue to grow and develop as an associate.

If you take the time to control your career you can grow with the company, and move on to bigger and better projects and experiences.

The benefits package is nice, the gyms at each main campus are awesome and the KC community tends to offer discounts to Cerner associates.

I have been given so many opportunities to grow and shine even though I started out of college with no experience. Now I lead my own events and mentor others.

ConsIf you are lazy or want someone else to control your destiny then you can lose a healthy work\life balance. I have seen people come in and expect to be handed everything vs. work for it and stand up for themselves. They don't stick around long and that is perfectly fine with me.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to do what to are doing, investing in your associates and improving how you value them. It is appreciated and felt.

Values and culture

KCIT Technical Apprentice (Current Employee)
Kansas City, KS (US)

I have been working at Cerner part-time for more than a year

ProsCerner has excellent values and a very accepting culture in that they promote and truly believe in the benefits of diversity within the workplace. They want individual for their knowledge regardless of what they look like!!
Plenty of Duck Dynasty bearded and full body tattooed employees... it really is impressive!

ConsWhen compared to other companies with similar position and skill requirements:
The only real con, is probably the same for any other company that has such an excellent culture to the point that people generally are willing to work for a little less salary since they get so many more other accommodations. At Cerner you have the flexability to work from home and have almost completely paid for healthcare with almost no out of pocket cost. Plus discounts on what seems like everything under the son as they have a relationship with almost every company and restaurant one can think of.
So because of all that and so much more that I am forgetting, employees do accept less pay then what they might make elsewhere, but as they feel they are getting so much more outside of pay that it more then makes up for the difference.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have excellent values and culture with supreme benefits but the experienced employees need to be retained as to prevent high value knowledge loss to other companies. I would evaluate what it might take to keep them on to prevent employee churn.

Strong growth company

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time for less than a year

ProsVery professional development organization with some very skilled leadership. On site doctor's office and pharmacy are great, if you can get it. Fitness facilities are great.

ConsRemote parking is not fun and was unexpected. No cash bonus pay. Benefits are not the best. 401K match and health care plan are not a good as what I have had in the past. Fitness facilities need better hours to match people working in the remote parking lots.

Good industry to be in

I have been working at Cerner full-time for more than 8 years

ProsSteady pay check and ability to travel to many states and countries.

ConsSometimes over worked and under appreciated. Can be a boy's club at times.

Worked for Cerner? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cerner reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Cerner CEO Neal L. Patterson. All 507 reviews are posted anonymously by Cerner employees.