Cerner Reviews

Updated 18 September 2014
3.6

Cerner Chairman, CEO & President Neal L. Patterson
Neal L. Patterson

Pros
  • Cerner takes a genuine interest in their employees and their families (work/life balance is important) (in 17 reviews)

• Great place if you want to learn and are a quick study (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • Indian employees are treated like slaves, and never think of work life balance at all (in 63 reviews)

• In hand is less than expected, some times high workload you have to work for long hours, (in 58 reviews)

More Highlights

Worthwhile

Former Employee - Velocity Delivery Consultant  in  Kansas City, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Velocity Delivery Consultant in Kansas City, MO (US)

I worked at Cerner as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Everyone is very friendly and open. There are many opportunities to move around and grown in the company.

Cons

As a velocity consultant intern, the program does not allow for an intern to attend talks and summits sponsored by Cerner as the internship is too structured.

Allow employees to live in cities other than Kansas City.

Great

I worked at Cerner for less than a year

Pros

Flexile schedule and the travel can be great at times. The culture is also very young and exciting as well as innovative. Great opportunity for advancement

Cons

Depending on which department you start in the hours can be very long at times. Depending on which role and how much you travel it can be a lot to handle

excellent, everybody is nice. Lot's of opportunities to be social.

Current Employee - Support Analyst  in  Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Support Analyst in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people, you have an opportunity to meet lots of people and everyone is very nice and supportive. Mostly a young group employed there, but that's great if you're young.

Cons

The only con would be that you do work really hard, but that's probably the case in a lot of companies.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Rwarding

I have been working at Cerner full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

fast paced, challenging, exciting and gratifying

Cons

growth after a point, vision, politics in certain areas.

Love working at Cerner

I have been working at Cerner

Pros

Fast-paced, career advancement opportunities, great work environment, unique culture

Cons

difficult to navigate at first

great company if you are a workaholic

Current Employee - Clinical Strategist
    Current Employee - Clinical Strategist

I have been working at Cerner full-time

Pros

good opportunities and great peers

Cons

unrealistic expectations for workloads, training is minimal

include travel time in to acknowledged work hours

Support Analyst-ITWorks

Current Employee - Support Analyst  in  Kansas City, KS (US)
    Current Employee - Support Analyst in Kansas City, KS (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time for more than a year

Pros

The Company as a whole is great! Team members are great. Young Culture, Nice starting pay for KCMO, Cafeteria, driving commute, Free Gym, Laptop provided.

Cons

Only for the Support Analyst role...call queue, call center like environment, talking directly to rude physicians and Nurses etc. have to be in a role for 18 months! The grass is greener on the other side after a successful completion of the 18 months and you are able to experience other departments without being attached to a phone! Constant ringing, back to back calls! I recommend the company but not the Support Analyst Role!

Before new processes are put in place, please ask the ones who actually have to do the work...if the process works or not! Plenty of times something is implemented without consulting with those who have to use it..it's just thrown at us and it ends up crashing and effecting our daily work! Being that we work in Health Care there are really no room for error or systems breaking down when they call us for help!!!!

Good

I have been working at Cerner full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good and excellent to work for

Cons

great and very good to work for

very good

Best place to start your career in tech

Current Employee - Systems Engineer  in  Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time for less than a year

Pros

-They take a chance on you while other companies won't.
    -They invest in you and it feels good to feel valuable to a company when you're just starting out.
    -They train you for a month about all you need to know to begin doing well on the job.
    -Great place for out of college first salaried job.
    -They pay a decent amount for someone whose skills really aren't that great. (Just starting out)
    -People complain about pay but let's face it, out of college this is probably the most you're going to get unless you did especially well or have great skills.
    -Overall the people you work with are awesome (from my experience). And as long as you take initiative to learn and show that you are independent and can keep a positive attitude while keeping clients happy and being polite you will have a great time.

Cons

-The systems they use have HORRIBLE UI. Makes doing your job a little frustrating sometimes but it's really not that bad.
    -They could do more to keep good people, but I think they don't really want to because they can just get the next college student who has decent skills and just train them for a couple months and they're good to go. I think this puts a lot of pressure on the senior people who tend to be few. They simply ignore the new people because they get so many questions (I'm assuming). They literally don't reply to your questions unless absolutely forced or you're good friends with them. I advise EVERYONE to be extremely nice to senior people and get on their good side as fast as possible without going over the top of course. If you can get in good graces with the senior people you will have a good time.
    -You will have to work more than 40 hours a week (some weeks and depends on your position). But if you are new out of college this is GOOD FOR YOU because you're learning more. Of course it's annoying or frustrating but let's face it you're probably feeling lucky that you even have a job. Your skills probably are exaggerated and the overtime work is never hard. I usually just do it from home or stay a bit after.

-Make an effort to change the UI. It can't be that hard.
    -Keep a few more senior people on staff. Or at least incentivise them to help the new guys.

Opportunity for career growth, excellent job security, but could use improvement at retaining talent.

Current Employee - Business Developer  in  Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Business Developer in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Cerner leads the market with focused innovation in health care. We excel at forging productive relationships with clients based on the mutual need to more proactively make changes to health care.

Cons

My biggest complaint is that at Cerner we do not invest enough in our home grown talent. A person with excellent foresight, management skills and client relationships may suffer years of below average pay without being utilized for the talents that make that associate excellent.

Actively be looking for excellent associates from within and promote them in meaningful ways that lead to above average pay and challenging initiatives. Do not lose these individuals to other employers as you are now.

Worked for Cerner? Contribute to the Community!