Cerner Reviews

Updated 29 September 2014
3.5

Cerner Chairman, CEO & President Neal L. Patterson
Neal L. Patterson

Pros
  • They will make you work at least 65 hours a week, no work life balance at all (in 20 reviews)

• Great place to begin a career if you are single and looking to make a lot of money (in 38 reviews)

Cons
  • In many positions there is no such thing as work-life balance (in 70 reviews)

• In hand is less than expected, some times high workload you have to work for long hours, (in 63 reviews)

More Highlights

Love working at Cerner

I have been working at Cerner

Pros

Fast-paced, career advancement opportunities, great work environment, unique culture

Cons

difficult to navigate at first

great company if you are a workaholic

Current Employee - Clinical Strategist
    Current Employee - Clinical Strategist

I have been working at Cerner full-time

Pros

good opportunities and great peers

Cons

unrealistic expectations for workloads, training is minimal

include travel time in to acknowledged work hours

Support Analyst-ITWorks

Current Employee - Support Analyst  in  Kansas City, KS (US)
    Current Employee - Support Analyst in Kansas City, KS (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time for more than a year

Pros

The Company as a whole is great! Team members are great. Young Culture, Nice starting pay for KCMO, Cafeteria, driving commute, Free Gym, Laptop provided.

Cons

Only for the Support Analyst role...call queue, call center like environment, talking directly to rude physicians and Nurses etc. have to be in a role for 18 months! The grass is greener on the other side after a successful completion of the 18 months and you are able to experience other departments without being attached to a phone! Constant ringing, back to back calls! I recommend the company but not the Support Analyst Role!

Before new processes are put in place, please ask the ones who actually have to do the work...if the process works or not! Plenty of times something is implemented without consulting with those who have to use it..it's just thrown at us and it ends up crashing and effecting our daily work! Being that we work in Health Care there are really no room for error or systems breaking down when they call us for help!!!!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Don't believe everything you hear

Current Employee - Systems Integration Architect
    Current Employee - Systems Integration Architect

I have been working at Cerner full-time for more than a year

Pros

Well established. Good policies procedures, and employee self help systems.

Cons

Goal Oriented, poor or improper communication. From the goal oriented stand point they don't care if you work 60 hour work weeks they just want the goal met and have a quality outcome. they set AGGRESSIVE deadlines and offer little to no help for you to accomplish the task in time for the deadline in fact they usually saddle you with 15-20 hours of additional work each week that impedes your ability to accomplish your goal and then reviews you poorly for the effort. They like to dangle mythical carrots in front of their associates. Usuallay they will hand you a large promotion and tell you you need to perform in this role for 6 months then assuming your review is acceptable you will get the compensation ..... !!!!WARNING!!!!! DO NOT TRUST THIS. Get everything in writing and use your initial on boarding to negotiate your compensation and benefits. IF you don't get this established immediately on hire don't expect it to ever come.

I was promoted 7 months ago. I received a "meets expectations" on my positional review stating "no associate performing duties in a role for less than a year can receive a grade above meets expectations, regardless of work ethic, work quality, goal completion, or peer review" so I worked an everage of 45-55 hours a week gave so many weekend and evening I lost count got exceptional reviews on my project completions and daily tasks and got an mediocre review. That compensation they promised with the huge promotion ended up being 3K annually (2.6%) so basically they arranged to have me work 10-20% more handle vastly more responsibility for the same pay as I was making in my lower level position. When questioned they said unfortunately you will have to perform this role for another year before we can adequately compensate you .... YEAH RIGHT!!!!!!

STOP LYING TO YOUR GOOD ASSOCIATES AND START GIVING THEM WHAT YOU PROMISE AND WHAT THEY DESERVE

High Expectations and High Performance

Current Employee - Senior Solution Architect  in  Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Solution Architect in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits are good, work life balance flucuates depending upon were you work.

Cons

Pay is ok for experienced hires, needs to be improved.

Good "right out of college" company, long-term is a deadend.

Current Employee - Solutions Architect  in  Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Solutions Architect in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time for less than a year

Pros

If you are right out of college and need to learn the ropes, it's a great company for that. Not so great for experienced employees because the salary range is way low.

Cons

All I had an issue with is salary. I was led to believe that even though the salary was low, they would make it up to me on bonus, but that turned out to be an outright lie. Bonus was worthless. $500 max per quarter does not constitute a bonus, more like an insult.

If you want experience people, you'll have to pay, otherwise continue with entry-level.

Very frustrating place for experienced people

Former Employee - Software Developer  in  Kansas City, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Kansas City, MO (US)

I worked at Cerner full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Not a very bad place to work in for the first couple of years right out of college.

Cons

Very bureaucratic.

Very rigid and inflexible in their thinking.

Entirely devoted to the idea, "work *harder*, not smarter."

Their concept of work-life balance is : life is work and work is life, balance is meaningless.

There is a personality cult of the CEO within the company.

Frequent mandatory meetings lasting up to 3 hours where hundreds of employees are packed into a small auditorium and made to listen and applaud to managers and executives drone on and on, supposedly to build morale.

Management not only tells you what to do but also tells you what to think and what views and opinions to have in your mind.

The overall experience at this company felt like being in some sort of a cult.

Very frustrating to work here for people with prior experience, as this company believes wholeheartedly in making the mistakes you would have already learned to avoid.

It is pointless to give any advice to the management as they are very set in their ways.

Software engineer

I have been working at Cerner

Pros

No dress code, and good dev

Cons

no idea about the in hand salary as a fresher

If they tell you that you have wait for a raise, you won't see it.

I have been working at Cerner full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Interesting work, you have a chance to influence how healthcare is delivered in the US, some coworkers are incredible, "work hard, play hard" culture is interesting. Stock has outperformed the market almost every year since it went public.

Cons

Too much reliance on rigid work plans are making the new crop of engineers unable to think outside the box for troubleshooting, too many in senior leadership aren't leaders, they just got promoted out of what they excelled at. Tend to get promised the world in a review for "next year", but those promises rarely get delivered upon. Always another "and" getting added to your job duties, but no additional resources are made available.

Pay your production owners what they are worth. There's a reason there's so much turnover in that job...24/7/365 on call, tons more pressure and work, for a 3% raise? At best it's just a stop on the way to a higher paying job at a competitor, a client hospital, or anywhere else.

Great starter company for new grads

Former Employee - Learning Consultant  in  Kansas City, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Learning Consultant in Kansas City, MO (US)

I worked at Cerner full-time for more than a year

Pros

This was a great first "real" job out of college. They provide a LOT of on-the-job training. There are a ton of perks like, on-site pharmacy/doctors, on-site day-care, gym, etc.

Cons

The pay is pretty low and they tend to work you a lot! Your work schedule varies a lot depending on your manager. I had one manager who barely knew I existed and I worked the average 40 hours/week but then I moved to another area and worked close to 60 hours a week for months (until I left the company).

Worked for Cerner? Contribute to the Community!