Cerner

Updated 30 January 2015
3.5

Cerner Chairman, CEO & President Neal L. Patterson
Neal L. Patterson

Pros
  • They will make you work at least 65 hours a week, no work life balance at all (in 21 reviews)

• Cerner is a great place to learn something about anything you maybe interested in (in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance for the benefit of associate wellness needs addressed from top/down (in 75 reviews)

• Long hours, some employees fresh out of college and need guidance in corporate settings (in 67 reviews)

More Highlights

Decent place to start your career

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Kansas City, MO (US)

I worked at Cerner full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Good learning opportunities for new grads and junior levels.
    - The pay is decent for Kansas City area.

Cons

- Nobody and nobody cares about you as a person. You are simply a body that can get some work done.
    - Cerner highly promotes keeping employees for long term but has opposite policies and work culture in place.
    - Getting "accepted" into the team or company culture is a major issue. People are too reserved and very narrow minded.
    - A lot of people drink the "Cerner kool-aid" and believe in the hype but reality couldn't be further away.
    - Changing teams is easier said than done. As is the case with other things Cerner, this is highly promoted as benefit but very difficult to exercise.
    - BONUS: There's an unsaid 20% overtime rule. Basically, you are *required* to submit 48 hours of timesheet each week. It doesn't matter if you actually have work or not, just make things up or pace it slow but be there for at least 48 hours a week.

- Your employees are not simply a resource that you can simply replace by another. The culture that you have is definitely not sustainable on a long term.
    - There's a reason Epic still is considered as a better company than Cerner, despite its size.
    - Just doing a beer Friday once a month isn't "cool". Transperancy and communication with your lowest level of employees is far more important.

Wait your turn

I have been working at Cerner

Pros

The first two years are mostly about proving yourself to get a level jump. Once you hit an initial level movement will be easy.

Cons

Very strict 18 month wait policy before transferring teams.

Job security but little satisfaction

I worked at Cerner full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-job security, once you are hired you are there to stay.
    -gym on campus with great classes and instructors
    -if your manager supports you, lots of training opportunities online, in person, and at conferences

Cons

-"business need" trumps all. People are transferred to new jobs (to new locations 20 miles away) with only a day of notice. regardless of what job you're hired for, you will be assigned somewhere based on what they need that particular day.The experience very much depends on what team you're on. Some teams were very satisfied with job quality, while others really suffered from lack of leadership
    -long hours are required, regardless of quality of work. Management would rather see you work 60 hours a week and be unproductive than 40 hours and get stuff done. Leadership rewarded us for a summer of 80 hour weeks with $5 gift cards
    - managers are promoted based on tenure alone, and not by quality. as a result, several of the managers I had weren't qualified for the role, which impacted my job satisfaction.
    - limited opportunities for career advancement. strict 18 month no-transfer policy, and even then, hiring/transfer freezes left you in your role for as long as they need.

Management knows that between KU, K-State, and Mizzou, they can get an endless flow of new grads. But that's not an excuse to treat people without respect and consideration to a work-life balance or career development.

Churn and Burn

Current Employee - Senior Sales Executive in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Executive in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Stable and growing company, good experience for a resume, good benefits, range of opportunities, good place for college grads to get experience

Cons

Cerner is operated by-the-rule-book and is corporate to the extreme. Your promotions, salary, and raises are severely limited and dictated by a specific HR rule structure, resulting in very minimal raises and often poor pay. Being such a large company, you are truly just a number and treated as replaceable. Most employees only gain respect and long-term benefits after being at the company for 10+ years. Moving up this tall ladder is political and a very slow process, based on the structure and corporate BS. It has a high turnover rate and a strong (and true) reputation for being a company that works you hard and underpays. Their tremendous growth and revenue is not spread amongst the hard-working employees. Obviously, your day-to-day experience varies based on your manager and division, since it is so large.

Advice on Glassdoor will never reach the powers-to-be, who are motivated by their own interests and gains.

It's okay ... not great ... not horrible ... just okay.

I have been working at Cerner full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good pay, opportunities to learn, and health benefits are okay especially if you are able to go to their world headquarters with their doctor's office in-house.

Cons

So much red tape to get basic equipment you need for your job. On that same note, they have horrible internal IT for their employees. I have been in my career for over 15 years and never have I had to wait months upon months for basic equipment that I've had at every other company on day 1 for someone in my position. Also, when I have had a problem with my equipment I've had to troubleshoot it myself as again their IT is of no help. This is what will hinder productivity.

Benefits are not great ... a few paid holidays (the major standard ones), minimum standard vacation you get at most companies, a few paid sick days. 401K is less than a 2% match and it's a 5 year wait to be vested. I've had better and I've had worse.

Work/Life Balance so far is okay, not great, but okay.

I'd be a lot happier if I didn't have to deal with so many equipment issues that are basic at every other place of employment I've had. Also, working with their internal IT department has been a horrible experience. Cut the red tape. Beyond that, so far I think management has been alright.

Ok to start with

I have been working at Cerner full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good company to start with
    good health benefits
    good people

Cons

Pay scale is very low.
    KC is boring

Business Analyst in Kansas City

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great career starting position for new grads

Cons

Too much corporate influence in work/life balance

Focus more on direct hiring rather than the training programs

Entry-level positions based on "business need" means you may not get the experience you want.

Former Employee - Delivery Consultant
    Former Employee - Delivery Consultant

I worked at Cerner full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Lots of entry level opportunities, especially if you are willing to travel 80% or more.

Cons

Expectation and culture of working long hours... Lots of people online working at night, even if it's not needed.
    My team had a metric of logging AT LEAST 45 hrs per week and if you didn't meet it you were docked in your performance review. So everyone logged ridiculous numbers, true or not.

Plan your growth better, don't dump heaps of work onto new people and give new managers smaller teams.

The lottery system of assigning new hires puts people working outside of their skills and preferences. If I had wanted to do technical work I would have obtained a technical degree.

Completely depends on what team you get stuck with

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Kansas City, KS (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Kansas City, KS (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time (less than a year)

Pros

-Decent starting pay for entry level positions
    -Good benefits
    -Solid company with lots of room for advancement

Cons

-Teams are completely unbalanced and you may end up with no work or work that is far too much for a single person to handle.
    -Training is a joke, almost none of it is actually relevant.
    -Lots of teams are expected to put in 70-80 hours a week to keep up with the massive amounts of work
    -Have a bad habit of not telling you the truth about your job position when hiring you
    -Most in the company will see you as expendable
    -People are jerks. Seriously, almost everywhere you go the teams are run by people who are just plain rude. Not sure why but Cerner attracts those types it seems.

You're growing too fast and you need to pay attention to your foundations. Completely tear apart and rework your training programs, balance work loads across teams to prevent some teams from being completely overwhelmed while others have no work, and treat people like actual human beings instead of numbers.

Technology hodge-podge

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at Cerner full-time

Pros

Lots of different technologies - many opportunities to learn and apply them.
    Good health plan, decent benefits package.
    Lots of training (online and classroom) available.

Cons

Too many technologies - difficult to integrate and make them work together.
    Fragile systems - changes in one area tend to break other unrelated areas due to complexity of integration and number of layers.

Dump older technologies - migrate more rapidly to newer frameworks for all systems.
    Improve PTO offering.