Cerner Reviews

Updated 22 October 2014
3.5

Cerner Chairman, CEO & President Neal L. Patterson
Neal L. Patterson

Pros
  • They will make you work at least 65 hours a week, no work life balance at all (in 20 reviews)

• Cerner is a great place to learn something about anything you maybe interested in (in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • In many positions there is no such thing as work-life balance (in 72 reviews)

• In hand is less than expected, some times high workload you have to work for long hours, (in 65 reviews)

More Highlights

its good for the experience ppl but not for the freshers seriously. u r open to ur thoughts. u can implement ur ideas.

Current Employee - Test Analyst in Bangalore (India)
    Current Employee - Test Analyst in Bangalore (India)

I have been working at Cerner full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good for the experience. Not much of work pressure unless you know how to balance it.

Cons

repetitive work with no structural or in a process way.

Must start implementing process to have better quality

Very good innovative company to work with

I have been working at Cerner full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good salary, Good benefits, Leader in its field, Global presence

Cons

Less campus recruitment. Need reference get through.

A Positive Move, A Positive Experience, Excited to be a part of the Growth

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, KS (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, KS (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Generally speaking and being relatively new, I have found the whole experience to be quite positive, from the initial interview process through the on-boarding efforts - I have been here about 6-8 months and have found that my peers and teammates have been more than helpful in getting me prepared and then fully engaged in my role. I am impressed with the vision and the culture that Cerner has created and pleased with their efforts to capture, communicate and maintain the culture. It's refreshing to be a part of a growing company with a vision well beyond the tactical. The Continuous Campus is a fantastic facility and the amenities/benefits of the facility are top-notch. Some of the goals related to improving Health, improving care and the investment in Kansas City are also areas that I find to be inspiring and glad to be a part of.

Cons

Its a growing large company - and coming in 'new' there are many folks who have had years of Cerner background and knowledge - which lends to having to search for the subject matter expert or understand what department or team is responsible for certain things - But, there are centralized portals and Wiki's sites that help facilitate the communication and help you navigate through the company.

Outstanding peer and managerial support

Current Employee - Clinical Strategist in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Clinical Strategist in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone I've met has been very supportive and accommodating. I can call up any of my co-workers with a question and they would be willing to help. My manager is outstanding and works hard to coach me in advancing my career.

Cons

You have to teach yourself a lot. Training is provided, but there is so much more that you need to know. The resources are out there, but you must make the effort and take the time to find them.

You are doing the right thing. I have seen great strides in the availability of resources and support. I know we are moving in the right direction.

Best if placed in good team

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Kansas City, KS (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Kansas City, KS (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Definitely a best place to work if you have a passion for technology and you are placed in a team you love(interms of technology). Cerner has lot of technologies to explore, but I woudnt be speaking alot on this as my colleagues told lot about the company.
    I would like to give intro about nasty placement after dev center program. every software engineer hired will go through this program
    pros:
    you learn under mentoring
    high pressure- positive
    good mentors
    you improve your skills before joining a team, by working on sample project just like school

Cons

after they think you are fit to join real team, they call something called graduation in Dev center and you will asked to give a demo to all managers and the managers rank you according to ranks. However we were not given choices in ranking the teams or opting few atleast. the ranking is not shown to employees and decided internally

they say they ran the associate-team matching algorithm, which is like best marraige principle which doesnt make any sense in some situations. I have seen couple of associates who joined a team, who have not attended the demo.
    that is usually the internal politics and I belive every company has this. but the real speciality comes here, people are very much biased here and they place you in a team which works on UI and you need to convert your path from back end dev to UI. When you speak regarding this to your HR they would threaten/ convince you that you need to do UI before you get backend job as if HR has worked for years. They dont even know single thing about coding and trying to judge others. Its always from their perspective, only managers are allowed to come to us and we were not allowed to contact the managers. The entire process is really weird. I dont understand the entire point in working if I'm given a role which is not my expertise. y do u try to judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree.

If a process is followed make sure, its same for everyone. The main problem I see with many employees is that, we are given to work on latest technologies in dev center and then placed in team which uses absoluete technologies.

Overall View On tho Company

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Kansas City, MO (US)

I worked at Cerner as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Very professional, did every process accordingly. Friendly and young environment allowing ease of conversation. A few campuses dedicated to this company as well. The company seems to value smart team players, I feel it is more that you are a leader rather than looking for a leader to have your answers figured out.

Cons

They take time to interview each candidate, however it can be a complete waste of time for the candidate if not choose.

Good for career starting, mid management needs improvement

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Victoria, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Victoria, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Cerner full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Lots to learn, many opportunities

Cons

poor benefit; low/mid management are problematic. some senior coworkers are very hard to deal with. senior management is fine.

please give me training to mid management level since some people are not capable on leading others

Growth for the Mindless

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Kansas City, MO (US)

I worked at Cerner full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great place to develop skills early in your carrer. They accomodate college grads with 'high' paying jobs after graduation. Will pemote a lot with in. Only have to be on a team for about 18 months to get other opportunities.

Cons

Poor training. Team dynamics vary between groups a lot. No work life balance. Raises plateau and your work can change into something very diffrent over the course of the life in a role.

Cerner

Former Employee - Delivery Consultant in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Delivery Consultant in Kansas City, MO (US)

I worked at Cerner full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great experience to start a career.

Cons

The company is falling behind to competitors like Epic.

Collaborative Company Culture, Low Pay

I worked at Cerner

Pros

Fantastic Culture, People, hard working

Cons

Known for Low pay when it comes to functional roles