Cerner Reviews

Updated 27 August 2014

3.6

Cerner Chairman, CEO & President Neal L. Patterson
Neal L. Patterson

Pros
  • Cerner takes a genuine interest in their employees and their families (work/life balance is important) (in 17 reviews)

• Great place if you want to learn and are a quick study (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • Indian employees are treated like slaves, and never think of work life balance at all (in 63 reviews)

• In hand is less than expected, some times high workload you have to work for long hours, (in 58 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company to work for right after college

Current Employee - Systems Engineer  in  Kansas City, KS (US)
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Kansas City, KS (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great place to learn and grow.

Cons

The work balance is skewed towards work. The pay is also average.

You need to pay your employees a little more to keep them around

good company

Current Employee - Financial Analyst  in  Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time for more than a year

Pros

good team work. support you when you need. good training as well. they will find good spot to put you in that they think fit you the most. a lot of benefits

Cons

pressure. i see a lot of people working over 45 to 50 hours per week. it is challenge and hard sometime.

Worked for Cerner for 13 years

I worked at Cerner full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Innovative company, moves fast, hands in all areas of HCIT

Cons

pay, I was a virtual associate hard to develop relationships with KC based associates

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Young company personnel wise; work well over 40+ hours per week.

I have been working at Cerner

Pros

Tons of young people, innovative company, opportunity for travel.

Cons

Working long weeks consistently, tons of lower level positions promotions come more out of luck than experience or impressions.

Give the associates a better goal or desirable "end game" hard to see where there is opportunity.

Its Okey.

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Kansas City, KS (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Kansas City, KS (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time for more than a year

Pros

Stable Job. Great Health Benefits. Onsite Clinic.

Cons

Not really techy. It wont be like start up or something for past paced people.

Management could do lot better.

Software Engineer

I have been working at Cerner full-time

Pros

- Big Company
    - Perfect place with right pace to learn the technology

Cons

- Slow in process.
    - Not a good place for start-up mentality kind of people.

Good starting point for your career

Current Employee - Learning Consultant  in  Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Learning Consultant in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time for more than a year

Pros

While the hours are long, a benefit is that all of those hours are not spent in the office. The option to work remotely is a lifesaver.

You learn a lot about the "big business" world very quickly. As someone who was hired straight out of college, it was very eye-opening.

The benefits are incredible. The on-site clinics are great when you can actually get in to see a physician (the wait can be longer than 4 months). The on-site pharmacy is amazing! It's really convenient and affordable.

Cons

Work hours are treacherously long. The salary seems like a great deal in the beginning, but when you realize how many hours your working without overtime pay, it becomes quite the demotivator. With all of the hours I've put in, my hourly pay is less than $10. I can't see myself staying at this company longer than 2 or 3 years if there isn't a change in work-life balance.

There is very little communication between teams. No one really seems to know what other teams do and very few people have the can-do attitude when it comes to helping out other teams. "Not my job, not my problem." Very few people seems worried about output, unless it directly affects their position or team.

There are many inexperienced workers due to the younger culture. I think they tried to nip this in the bud with the velocity training program. However, this training is absolutely useless. It feels like a 4 week waiting room for your real job. The phrase "fake it until you make it" is your work life motto for most people during their first year of employment.

If you have capacity, take time to work together on collaboration projects with other teams. Listening and executing effectively can go a lot further than simply doing enough to cover your own butt.

Show appreciation to the team members who are effectively working well past the 40 hour week - there are at least a few on every single team in this company. Don't just keep piling it on, because you know they can do it. Show them that you know they can and that's why you're giving it to them.

Be prepared for very long, irregular work week

Current Employee - Systems Engineer
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer

I have been working at Cerner full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great place to begin a career if you are single and looking to make a lot of money. Cerner Management is always on top of things.

Cons

Very long work weeks, irregular hours make for a difficult life/work balance. Be prepared to be married to your laptop/cell phone.

No regrets, but the company drastically changed the 10+ years I was there.

Former Employee - Various  in  Kansas City, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Various in Kansas City, MO (US)

I worked at Cerner full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Most of your fellow associates are great people to work with and really care about their contributions to healthcare. Decent pay and great health benefits.

Cons

Corporate America is swallowing this company up. More emphasis is based on deadlines and metrics than quality. Work/life balance is terrible. Training is baptism by fire.

Associates have numbers but they also have names. And some of them have pretty good idea if you will stop and listen.

Consider for a career start but don't plan to stay

Former Employee - Withheld  in  Kansas City, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Withheld in Kansas City, MO (US)

I worked at Cerner full-time for more than a year

Pros

Easy to get hired as they have huge volumes of turnover in the KC area and other sites. Can get hired with little to no experience. Salaries can potentially be competitive depending on the position and how much of a crunch the department with the position is in.

Cons

Work environment and general experience can vary based on where you get hired so I am speaking only from my own experience. I worked in one of their IT Works sites which was very poorly managed. Long hours due to lack of planning or poor structuring with no thanks, compensation or reward for getting things done. Word was that nearly all the IT Works sites were like this and are generally considered a joke by the rest of the company. The helpdesk is also a miserable place to work I've been told and also suffered from very high turnover.

Compensation may start off respectable (emphasis on "may") but expect 0-3% raises if you decide to stay year after year even if you put in the 60+ hour work weeks that are expected or sprung on you at the last minute. It was not rare to be told at 4pm on a Friday that we would be expected to work through the weekend. Management would then be absent from the extra hours and it was common to come in only to stand around and not know what we were there to do.

Most of the management level people I encountered were clueless about nearly everything. Most knew very little about technology and had zero in the way of technical understanding which resulted in ideas or initiatives that were either unreasonable or flat out impossible. I suspect they are also trained to not listen to their employees and treat communication as a one-way street based on the behavior I encountered. Additionally they knew nothing about company structure and policies. Questions about how to fix a submitted time sheet or where to find information about benefits or corporate related material was almost always met by being told to ask someone else or to look it up on your own.

In all honestly this is not a company I would recommend if you have a decent amount of professional experience and the career potential to work some place else. To sum it up I would compare it to a McDonalds or Walmart in terms of how it operates: Mostly staffed and operated by young, underpaid kids where it's very likely to be their first corporate job or laid off refugees from other companies just happy to have a paycheck again overseen by barely literate overzealous types who don't know the first thing about IT or managing but can recite the company cheer forwards and backwards and wouldn't think twice about getting the company logo tattooed across their chest.

Final note, they had surprisingly poor health insurance for a health care company.

Lead by example. Understand that managing is a two way street not just what your employees do to make you look good. You have obligations to those below you as well. Try actually showing up to meetings and interacting with your team. It also probably helps to know what it is your department actually does and understand the work that your team does.

Worked for Cerner? Contribute to the Community!