Cerner

www.cerner.com
Profile Unclaimed

Great company with lots of potential!

Former Employee - Support Analyst
    Former Employee - Support Analyst

I worked at Cerner full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Flexibility to work from home when needed, competitive salary and benefits.

Cons

Job security could be an issue, as I worked in a satellite office and not at the home base.

More actively train strong employees in other areas to grow professionally.

Not bad- not so good either

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Bangalore (India)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Bangalore (India)

I worked at Cerner

Pros

- Competitive salary
    - Good exposure if you join early on in your career
    - Most of the employees are very friendly

Cons

- Zero benefits
    - Unhealthy work culture- in bangalore office to be specific

Sr. Test Analyst

I have been working at Cerner

Pros

Great company to work for with awesome benefits.

Cons

Work load can be pretty heavy.

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Senior Analyst
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst

I have been working at Cerner

Pros

At my current role I have opportunities to travel to unique places. I spend a lot of time on the road but that is because I want to. I have a very knowledgeable and supportive project team that stands behind my decisions. My internal team is just as supportive and willing to share their knowledge. Cerner is a great entry level job with opportunities to grow.

Cons

A lot of hours, but you are still recognized for your hard work!

Keep it up!

Cerner was a wonderful opportunity to showcase my talents and skills in sales/marketing/consulting/project management.

Former Employee - Senior Engagement Manager/Sales in Olathe, KS (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Engagement Manager/Sales in Olathe, KS (US)

I worked at Cerner full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Cerner fosters a great environment to work in many different areas within the Healthcare IT Industry. It has great benefits and training programs depending on your career goals. I enjoyed the people I worked with, and the support I was given as well as many of the clients I was able to foster positive, longstanding relationships. It is a great company.

Cons

I found no downside to working at Cerner. I would like to pursue opportunities at a smaller company with development into an Executive role.

I believe good management are those who continue to develop individuals that have good potential to be future leaders in their respective companies. "Employees who believe that management is concerned about them as a whole person - not just an employee - are more productive, more satisfied, more fulfilled. Satisfied employees mean satisfied customers, which leads to profitability." (Anne M. Mulcahy)

KCIT Technical Apprentice

Current Employee - KCIT Technical Apprentice in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - KCIT Technical Apprentice in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Get to work and do the same exact work full time employees do even doing simalar work as some architects.

Cons

The same from above but you only get paid very low hourly wage. It seems they abuse the apprentice program to basically just be cheap labor with no learning experience.

Re design the Apprentice program to actually have to ability to shadow and learn not just thrown in doing the same work as the others paid well above

Average corporate job. Could be a lot worse, but could also be a lot better

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Cerner is doing really well, and continues to grow. As an engineer, your level of satisfaction will largely depend on the team you land on, but it does seem like Cerner is moving in the right direction across all teams. Cerner is really great place to learn and start your career.

Cons

While Cerner is doing really well and growing, I feel that Cerner is a bit stingy and could provide better benefits. Given how well Cerner is doing, the salaries are simply average at best, and could be a lot higher. Free lunches would be a great benefit as well, instead of the very expensive cafeteria food. IMO Cerner seems to not care too much about keeping employees long term since there are always plenty of available freshly graduated college students to recruit. Otherwise they would do more to help retain their talent instead of letting most people get their 2-3 years of experience and then leave for a better position.

Disorganized and Management was scared of making decisions.

Current Employee - Solutions Architect in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Solutions Architect in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Would be good for someone right out of college looking for experience, but would outgrow the job/company within a few years

Cons

Pay is poor for experienced employees. They get by on ignorant college kids before they realize they are being used and underpaid.

If you want top experienced people to stay for awhile, salary has to go way up, along with stock options.

Great company, lots of potential if you have initiative.

Current Employee - Systems Administrative in Augusta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Systems Administrative in Augusta, GA (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Lots of room for personal growth, almost every aspect of IT represtented.

Cons

Easy to get lost in the mix of such huge company.

It would be great if there was a bonus program started. It is unclear how to move forward in career path.

It's a love hate relationship

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time

Pros

First off, my experience here has been mostly good overall. After starting you get put into a training program (if you're a software engineer) which will last at least a month but usually longer. During this time you get to work on some interesting projects if you get lucky enough. The training environment is pretty laid back as long as you are getting work done during your training time and they offer games, trivia and tech talks on occasion to give everyone a break from the daily routine. Once you get put on a team you may get lucky and have it easy. Some teams won't make you work more than a regular work week (as long as you aren't slacking). A lot teams also have team outings which is a good way to get to know everyone you're working with. From my experience, the management treats people well and looks at them like actual people instead of cogs in a machine and I get the sense that they are genuinely concerned about the poeple they manage. The atmosphere is very nice and you get to wear casual clothes to work and sometimes they will host events for people to let loose a little and partake in some free food, and even some adult beverages. (If you like beer Wooh! Free beer!). Depending on your team you can pretty much come in anytime during the day as long as you're putting in your eight hours and you'll often see people still coming into work in the afternoon.

Cons

Of couse every company has a downside. Work from home seems to be frowned upon by most management throughout the company so if you like to spend time away from the office and still put in work this probably isn't the place for you. The training can be intimidating. Some people can struggle with their project as they may be using a technology they have never used before to get a job done. If you're not showing progress very quickly you can be presssured very strongly by the trainers. Some people aslo dissapeared from the training program entirely because they were very secretly fired. This will also more than likey put you in a place where you owe the company money since a majority of the people they hire are given a relocation bonus that has to be paid back if your employment is terminated or you leave within a certain time frame. These people may also already be in a new lease for a house or apartment and need to start looking for a job or be forced to leave relatively quickly. The training may or may not pertain to anything you will be working on once you get placed on a team which is honestly a waste of money for the company. On top of this, you'll have to go through more training once you get placed on a team because they usually have their own work environment that will need to be mastered early on. There are some people who work more than twelve hours a day almost immediately after being placed on a team and most I've talked to about going through training will say, after the fact, it was mostly useless. There is an 18 month no transfer policy so you can get stuck on a team you dislike for a year and a half if you're unlucky. The vacation policy isn't that great since they recently changed it. Employees used to accrue a set amount of hours which did not include any sick leave; you caould take unlimited amount as needed. Now they added 5 days to the accrual ammount but when sick you have to take time from a single pool which includes all of your vacation hours. The company also reduced the amount of hours you can cary over from year to year as well as made coming into the company with several years of experience less appealing since you will accrue time off based on the amount of service you've provided to Cerner itself not based on experience level as a whole. The company's documentation is usually not that good and it is typically found on an internal wiki which can be hard to search through. Cerner uses an internal "Social network" as well which seems mostly useless in my opinion.