Cerner Reviews

Updated 29 August 2014

3.6

Cerner Chairman, CEO & President Neal L. Patterson
Neal L. Patterson

Pros
  • Cerner takes a genuine interest in their employees and their families (work/life balance is important) (in 17 reviews)

• Great place if you want to learn and are a quick study (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • Indian employees are treated like slaves, and never think of work life balance at all (in 63 reviews)

• In hand is less than expected, some times high workload you have to work for long hours, (in 58 reviews)

More Highlights

The sky is the limit

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Massive national and international growth, flexible, young, dynamic, creative culture. Lots of learning opportunities. Strategies aligned with industry and government trends, strong competitive advantages, exciting infrastructure expansion plans.

Cons

Lack of diversity at leadership levels, mostly white males from the mid west. Compensation growth not comparable with Sylicon Valley's average justified by lower cost of living in Kansas City.

Promote more diversity amongst leadership positions to grow the pool of experiences, ideas and points of view.

Excellent Organization

Former Employee - Senior Test Engineer  in  Bangalore (India)
    Former Employee - Senior Test Engineer in Bangalore (India)

I worked at Cerner as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Opportunity to work on Healthcare Domain and Cerner Millennium
    Excellent co workers
    Little to no Micro Management
    Lots of support of peers

Cons

They should make the existing consultants permanent than hiring freshers into the teams

You guys are sailing the boat safely, keep going.

Good environment, innovative work force.

Current Employee - Solution Designer  in  Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Solution Designer in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Cerner is a great company to work for. Laid back environment delivering solid web applications

Cons

Low salary with little room to increase pay.

Provide clients with realistic release dates as to not over work employees. Other than that, keep up the good work.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Love this company!

Current Employee - Learning Consultant  in  Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Learning Consultant in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Advancement opportunity, career movement, training, benefits, fitness centers, onsite clinic and pharmarcy

Cons

Project team communication - I frequently hear of key team members being left/forgotten of project meeting updates.

Consider ensuring project teams are pulled together through all phases of a project.

Great chance to learn

I worked at Cerner as an intern

Pros

Cerner is a dynamic company with many different things going on at once. Great place if you want to learn and are a quick study.

Cons

Depending on the solution they place you with, you could be doing a LOT more travel than they tell you. The job frequently has obligations outside of the work day.

Exciting company, bad department

I worked at Cerner

Pros

Cerner is absolutely on the forefront of the industry with amazing new ideas and technology. The benefits are also excellent (for young, healthy people, which is the vast majority of the company)

Cons

In consulting, prepare to work your tail off and travel more than they tell you when they hire you, and prepare to be, well, not prepared for everything they ask of you

trust people more

Great Opportunity for a Student and Intern

Former Employee - Software Engineer  in  Columbia, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Columbia, MO (US)

I worked at Cerner as an intern for more than a year

Pros

I worked at Cerner as an Software Engineer Intern while obtaining my Master's Degree in Computer Science. My experience will vary from other interns' that were located in Kansas City. I was located in Columbia, MO working for a collaboration between Cerner and the University of Missouri hospital system called the Tiger Institute. I had a great experience here, bolstered by the small team size (around 10) and great management. The time from development to deployment was fantastic. Because of the collaborative environment, the feedback system from the deployment to the hospital was about as real-time as you can get. As far as marketable experience goes, I learned to use a few different technologies, mostly in web development. I also learned how to thrive in an agile environment, which many software development companies look for. And I can't say enough about the direct management, very helpful and guiding. This also applies to other software developers on the team. I did not feel like an intern after I learned the ropes. Overall, as an intern, I had a very valuable experience.

One caveat you may read in other reviews is that Cerner works you to the bone and spits you out. In this fast-paced market, this is common. However, in my experience, most of the team worked the usual 8-5, with rare occurrences of overtime, except when a golive was about to happen.

Cons

There weren't many cons that I can think of. I think not being able to identify pitfalls stems from being an intern. I was very surprised at the amount of movement within the team. Software developers transitioned to project managers. Project managers to software architects. Software developers to software developer leads. Software developers to software architects (not as rare). Given the size of the team, this was very surprising to me. Keep in mind that I was only an intern for less than two years. Therefore, one con I can identify was the difficulty of establishing a team dynamic.

I loved the team. As noted in the "Cons" section of my review, it would have been helpful to establish a more concrete team dynamic and limit the amount of movement from position to position.

This place sucks

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time for more than a year

Pros

None. I guess the fact that I got to try out and use on a daily bass a dell D830 before buying one for myself.

Cons

I used to work here back in the mid 2000's before the move to the innovations campus. Everything sucked. On job vent (before the reviews were removed) it was rated as one of the worst companies to work for.

A great place to start your career. This company will open the door for may other opportunities .

I have been working at Cerner

Pros

Honor system for sick days.
    Challenging.
    Young work force.

Cons

More difficult to move up in AMS than in consulting.
    Work-life balance can be a struggle.
    Training "drink from the fire hose"

Overall great experience

I have been working at Cerner

Pros

Good learning experience
    Great work culture

Cons

we should not have expectations on salary range

Worked for Cerner? Contribute to the Community!