Cerner Reviews

Updated 17 October 2014
3.5

Cerner Chairman, CEO & President Neal L. Patterson
Neal L. Patterson

Pros
  • They will make you work at least 65 hours a week, no work life balance at all (in 20 reviews)

• Cerner is a great place to learn something about anything you maybe interested in (in 39 reviews)

Cons
  • In many positions there is no such thing as work-life balance (in 71 reviews)

• In hand is less than expected, some times high workload you have to work for long hours, (in 65 reviews)

More Highlights

Fast paced and understaffed

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good benefits, overall culture is good, on-site clinic for KC employees is very good. Cerner stock given for 401k match has done well historically.

Cons

Some teams are much better than others, and they aren't the ones that have lots of openings to move into. In many positions there is no such thing as work-life balance. Company is understaffed in many areas - with some recent events, I suspect too much money was spent on the recent acquisition and many areas have been left underfunded. Reviews are pooled, so someone doesn't get a raise even if everyone performs well. If you want to move up fast try to get to a fast growing area like population health. Some people act incredibly entitled and arrogant as if they are the only ones who do anything important in the company.

Growth is good, just make sure it's under control

Worked for Cerner for 10+ years

I worked at Cerner full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Working for a visionary company committed to using technology to transform health care; working with extremely bright, hardworking, competent people; the managers I had while I worked there were excellent and highly ethical, but I had colleagues for whom this was not the case; in my division, if you were skilled at your position, had initiative and a strong desire to make a contribution, and were very proactive, you were offered opportunities to work on rather interesting & challenging projects. Decent salary with stock options offered to higher level employees who performed well (1 = highest level, 9 = entry level ... I was a 3).

Cons

There are a number of 'silos' within Cerner, but I suppose this is true of any large company to some extent or another; By silos I mean divisions/groups/teams that have overlapping and/or complementary interests/goals/functions, but have little to no communication/collaboration with these groups; frequent organizational restructuring, which could be aggravating (sometimes felt like being in a house built on shifting sand, so to speak); intermittent re-prioritization and re-allocation of resources to chase after the next 'big thing' was also sometimes irritating; definitely a "do it now" culture...sometimes tight deadlines were established even for particular tasks/projects at hand had no great urgency to the internal/external client requesting the work; if you record only 40 hours per week on your time sheet for a period of time, you will be confronted about this and advised of Cerner's expectation for everyone to work more than 40 hours per week; I intermittently had to work very long hours on projects to complete them in time, but this is a growth-oriented, for profit, publicly traded IT company, so this is not terribly surprising.

Overall a very good company. Definitely has the potential to achieve its vision of using technology to transform health care. See 'Cons' above for opportunities for improvement.

excellent, everybody is nice. Lot's of opportunities to be social.

Current Employee - Support Analyst in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Support Analyst in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people, you have an opportunity to meet lots of people and everyone is very nice and supportive. Mostly a young group employed there, but that's great if you're young.

Cons

The only con would be that you do work really hard, but that's probably the case in a lot of companies.

Rwarding

I have been working at Cerner full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

fast paced, challenging, exciting and gratifying

Cons

growth after a point, vision, politics in certain areas.

great company if you are a workaholic

Current Employee - Clinical Strategist
    Current Employee - Clinical Strategist

I have been working at Cerner full-time

Pros

good opportunities and great peers

Cons

unrealistic expectations for workloads, training is minimal

include travel time in to acknowledged work hours

Love working at Cerner

I have been working at Cerner

Pros

Fast-paced, career advancement opportunities, great work environment, unique culture

Cons

difficult to navigate at first

Support Analyst-ITWorks

Current Employee - Support Analyst in Kansas City, KS (US)
    Current Employee - Support Analyst in Kansas City, KS (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The Company as a whole is great! Team members are great. Young Culture, Nice starting pay for KCMO, Cafeteria, driving commute, Free Gym, Laptop provided.

Cons

Only for the Support Analyst role...call queue, call center like environment, talking directly to rude physicians and Nurses etc. have to be in a role for 18 months! The grass is greener on the other side after a successful completion of the 18 months and you are able to experience other departments without being attached to a phone! Constant ringing, back to back calls! I recommend the company but not the Support Analyst Role!

Before new processes are put in place, please ask the ones who actually have to do the work...if the process works or not! Plenty of times something is implemented without consulting with those who have to use it..it's just thrown at us and it ends up crashing and effecting our daily work! Being that we work in Health Care there are really no room for error or systems breaking down when they call us for help!!!!

Good

I have been working at Cerner full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good and excellent to work for

Cons

great and very good to work for

very good

Best place to start your career in tech

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-They take a chance on you while other companies won't.
    -They invest in you and it feels good to feel valuable to a company when you're just starting out.
    -They train you for a month about all you need to know to begin doing well on the job.
    -Great place for out of college first salaried job.
    -They pay a decent amount for someone whose skills really aren't that great. (Just starting out)
    -People complain about pay but let's face it, out of college this is probably the most you're going to get unless you did especially well or have great skills.
    -Overall the people you work with are awesome (from my experience). And as long as you take initiative to learn and show that you are independent and can keep a positive attitude while keeping clients happy and being polite you will have a great time.

Cons

-The systems they use have HORRIBLE UI. Makes doing your job a little frustrating sometimes but it's really not that bad.
    -They could do more to keep good people, but I think they don't really want to because they can just get the next college student who has decent skills and just train them for a couple months and they're good to go. I think this puts a lot of pressure on the senior people who tend to be few. They simply ignore the new people because they get so many questions (I'm assuming). They literally don't reply to your questions unless absolutely forced or you're good friends with them. I advise EVERYONE to be extremely nice to senior people and get on their good side as fast as possible without going over the top of course. If you can get in good graces with the senior people you will have a good time.
    -You will have to work more than 40 hours a week (some weeks and depends on your position). But if you are new out of college this is GOOD FOR YOU because you're learning more. Of course it's annoying or frustrating but let's face it you're probably feeling lucky that you even have a job. Your skills probably are exaggerated and the overtime work is never hard. I usually just do it from home or stay a bit after.

-Make an effort to change the UI. It can't be that hard.
    -Keep a few more senior people on staff. Or at least incentivise them to help the new guys.

Opportunity for career growth, excellent job security, but could use improvement at retaining talent.

Current Employee - Business Developer in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Business Developer in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Cerner leads the market with focused innovation in health care. We excel at forging productive relationships with clients based on the mutual need to more proactively make changes to health care.

Cons

My biggest complaint is that at Cerner we do not invest enough in our home grown talent. A person with excellent foresight, management skills and client relationships may suffer years of below average pay without being utilized for the talents that make that associate excellent.

Actively be looking for excellent associates from within and promote them in meaningful ways that lead to above average pay and challenging initiatives. Do not lose these individuals to other employers as you are now.