Cerner

Updated 19 August 2014

3.6

Cerner Chairman, CEO & President Neal L. Patterson
Neal L. Patterson

Pros
  • Cerner takes a genuine interest in their employees and their families (work/life balance is important) (in 17 reviews)

• Great place if you want to learn and are a quick study (in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • Indian employees are treated like slaves, and never think of work life balance at all (in 63 reviews)

• In hand is less than expected, some times high workload you have to work for long hours, (in 58 reviews)

More Highlights

A great place to start your career. This company will open the door for may other opportunities .

Pros

Honor system for sick days.
    Challenging.
    Young work force.

Cons

More difficult to move up in AMS than in consulting.
    Work-life balance can be a struggle.
    Training "drink from the fire hose"

Overall great experience

Pros

Good learning experience
    Great work culture

Cons

we should not have expectations on salary range

Lack of Leadership

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

Pros

A job to come to daily

Cons

No support from management. I work 50, 60 hour weeks with no recognition
    Management talks down to team leads.

Thank-you calls, emails etc would help turn around and keep people with the company

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Place to Start a Career

Former Employee - Technology Architect  in  Kansas City, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Technology Architect in Kansas City, MO (US)

Pros

The people around you are fairly young which can be a bad thing, but they are all "go getters" For those looking to launch their career with a bang and to learn this is the place for you.

Cons

Growth in the company can be tough, they will work you hard.

Invest more into the associates and compensate them accordingly. Take money off the table and you will be able to retain them for years to come.

Cerner - Delivery Consultant/Analyst

Current Employee - Delivery Consultant  in  Kansas City, KS (US)
    Current Employee - Delivery Consultant in Kansas City, KS (US)

Pros

-laid back/casual environment, free gym, good benefits, nice campuses
    -competitive pay
    -experience handling multiple projects at once
    -opportunities for advancement
    -upper management within my department are acting to make positive changes based on employee feedback

Cons

-required minimum of working 48 hours a week

Provide more guidance on potential career opportunities within the company.

Its a ok company

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Kansas City, MO (US)

Pros

pretty young friendly crowd.

Cons

not enough vacation, not enough pay, management is not very good either.

those people who talk a lot aren't necessarily the one doing most of the work.

Exciting start, weird culture

Former Employee - Delivery Consultant  in  Kansas City, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Delivery Consultant in Kansas City, MO (US)

Pros

The Gym at the WHQ is great!
    The benefits are very decent.
    Management/HR was very understanding and worked with me when I had to take short-term leave due to an emergency surgery.
    Plenty of travel opportunities.
    It is absolutely awesome to work with providers/hospitals/hospital staff!

Cons

First and foremost: the culture. It is almost like a culture of fear. One of the things I remember most about my first day during their Onboarding training was "don't mess up for x reason, or you will always be remembered for x..."

Very much a cult of personality culture as well. Many young people which was nice , but very strange in that it seemed "cult-like" with some people (very hard to describe, and I do not mean to say that this carries to all employees, just a general sense and my opinion).

It is a literal TON of information to digest during the first few months, and it is not easily understood the first time through. I would estimate that 70 percent of what I learned in the first couple of months at Cerner were not used in my day-to-day job after the fact.

You are expected to always be billable (for good reason-you are being paid to ensure that Cerner meets its quarterly goals), however I found that the ways in which managers would try and promote this were fairly unethical at best, and downright lying to clients in terms of work accomplished at worst.

I felt that I could not perform my job adequately with the information I was trained with within a few months of learning the material. It is very difficult to try and learn when you are trained for things which you will never use, and are then expected to immediately know how to build code for a completely different solution.

Most of the day consisted of answering emails and building out different solutions for clients, and becoming increasingly frustrated at the Wiki pages that you are expected to utilize for literally almost everything pertaining to your job build-wise. Very frustrating as I feel that I learn better in a social environment and this wasn't used enough in my opinion.

Compensation was initially average, however the annual raises are awful. It is completely up to your manager who you may or may not see in the office (I saw mine about once or twice a month). Therefore, depends on your personal relationship with your manager.

I believe your long-term goals are great (especially with population health!), however I believe that the culture is not conducive to an atmosphere where you feel valued. The annual raise/review was very poor.

It was good until some manager doesn't like you or you grow past the "desired age range"

Pros

You gain a great insight into Healtcare and if you work "client facing" you get to see more of what Healthcare is for the nurses and doctors that work each day for their patients. You can gain a technical background if you are clinical and a clinical perspective if you are technical.

Cons

It seems that most of the people that survive the longest are the non boat rockers. The conformist to the work culture. If you are a pro company person you will do well. But that may be at the expense of your clients. Timelines to implement their systems are strenuous to say the least.

I would suggest that from the beginning when clients are designing their systems that you spend more time in helping them design a system and before they are ready to Go Live plan on optimization of the original design and adjusting the system to better facilitate the clinical resources that will be using it.

Good company to start as fresher

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Bangalore (India)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Bangalore (India)

Pros

good pay
    very helpful team
    good domain

Cons

as its a product based company we have very less onsite opportunities

Okay place to work

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer

Pros

Nice Facilities, competitive pay, collaborative team environment

Cons

Work/Life Balance can be a struggle at times

Worked for Cerner? Contribute to the Community!