Cerner Reviews

Updated 29 October 2014
3.5

Cerner Chairman, CEO & President Neal L. Patterson
Neal L. Patterson

Pros
  • They will make you work at least 65 hours a week, no work life balance at all (in 20 reviews)

• Cerner is a great place to learn something about anything you maybe interested in (in 40 reviews)

Cons
  • In many positions there is no such thing as work-life balance (in 73 reviews)

• In hand is less than expected, some times high workload you have to work for long hours, (in 65 reviews)

More Highlights

A Positive Move, A Positive Experience, Excited to be a part of the Growth

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, KS (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, KS (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Generally speaking and being relatively new, I have found the whole experience to be quite positive, from the initial interview process through the on-boarding efforts - I have been here about 6-8 months and have found that my peers and teammates have been more than helpful in getting me prepared and then fully engaged in my role. I am impressed with the vision and the culture that Cerner has created and pleased with their efforts to capture, communicate and maintain the culture. It's refreshing to be a part of a growing company with a vision well beyond the tactical. The Continuous Campus is a fantastic facility and the amenities/benefits of the facility are top-notch. Some of the goals related to improving Health, improving care and the investment in Kansas City are also areas that I find to be inspiring and glad to be a part of.

Cons

Its a growing large company - and coming in 'new' there are many folks who have had years of Cerner background and knowledge - which lends to having to search for the subject matter expert or understand what department or team is responsible for certain things - But, there are centralized portals and Wiki's sites that help facilitate the communication and help you navigate through the company.

Outstanding peer and managerial support

Current Employee - Clinical Strategist in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Clinical Strategist in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone I've met has been very supportive and accommodating. I can call up any of my co-workers with a question and they would be willing to help. My manager is outstanding and works hard to coach me in advancing my career.

Cons

You have to teach yourself a lot. Training is provided, but there is so much more that you need to know. The resources are out there, but you must make the effort and take the time to find them.

You are doing the right thing. I have seen great strides in the availability of resources and support. I know we are moving in the right direction.

Great

I worked at Cerner (less than an year)

Pros

Flexile schedule and the travel can be great at times. The culture is also very young and exciting as well as innovative. Great opportunity for advancement

Cons

Depending on which department you start in the hours can be very long at times. Depending on which role and how much you travel it can be a lot to handle

Not bad

Current Employee - Software Analyst in Kansas City, KS (US)
    Current Employee - Software Analyst in Kansas City, KS (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Decent Pay, Nice Buildings, Growing Company, Good Co-workers

Cons

Working phones, pretty much tech support

Wonderful Experience get to learn alot from many qualified Network Engineers

Current Employee - Apprentice in Kansas City, KS (US)
    Current Employee - Apprentice in Kansas City, KS (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Friendly atmosphere awards go getters. You get out what you put in. Don't be lazy and expect advancement.

Cons

The Network space I think should be moved back to the way it should be with all of the Engineers sitting in the same area for collaboration.

Fast paced and understaffed

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good benefits, overall culture is good, on-site clinic for KC employees is very good. Cerner stock given for 401k match has done well historically.

Cons

Some teams are much better than others, and they aren't the ones that have lots of openings to move into. In many positions there is no such thing as work-life balance. Company is understaffed in many areas - with some recent events, I suspect too much money was spent on the recent acquisition and many areas have been left underfunded. Reviews are pooled, so someone doesn't get a raise even if everyone performs well. If you want to move up fast try to get to a fast growing area like population health. Some people act incredibly entitled and arrogant as if they are the only ones who do anything important in the company.

Growth is good, just make sure it's under control

Worked for Cerner for 10+ years

I worked at Cerner full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Working for a visionary company committed to using technology to transform health care; working with extremely bright, hardworking, competent people; the managers I had while I worked there were excellent and highly ethical, but I had colleagues for whom this was not the case; in my division, if you were skilled at your position, had initiative and a strong desire to make a contribution, and were very proactive, you were offered opportunities to work on rather interesting & challenging projects. Decent salary with stock options offered to higher level employees who performed well (1 = highest level, 9 = entry level ... I was a 3).

Cons

There are a number of 'silos' within Cerner, but I suppose this is true of any large company to some extent or another; By silos I mean divisions/groups/teams that have overlapping and/or complementary interests/goals/functions, but have little to no communication/collaboration with these groups; frequent organizational restructuring, which could be aggravating (sometimes felt like being in a house built on shifting sand, so to speak); intermittent re-prioritization and re-allocation of resources to chase after the next 'big thing' was also sometimes irritating; definitely a "do it now" culture...sometimes tight deadlines were established even for particular tasks/projects at hand had no great urgency to the internal/external client requesting the work; if you record only 40 hours per week on your time sheet for a period of time, you will be confronted about this and advised of Cerner's expectation for everyone to work more than 40 hours per week; I intermittently had to work very long hours on projects to complete them in time, but this is a growth-oriented, for profit, publicly traded IT company, so this is not terribly surprising.

Overall a very good company. Definitely has the potential to achieve its vision of using technology to transform health care. See 'Cons' above for opportunities for improvement.

Worthwhile

Former Employee - Velocity Delivery Consultant in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Velocity Delivery Consultant in Kansas City, MO (US)

I worked at Cerner as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone is very friendly and open. There are many opportunities to move around and grown in the company.

Cons

As a velocity consultant intern, the program does not allow for an intern to attend talks and summits sponsored by Cerner as the internship is too structured.

Allow employees to live in cities other than Kansas City.

excellent, everybody is nice. Lot's of opportunities to be social.

Current Employee - Support Analyst in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Support Analyst in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great people, you have an opportunity to meet lots of people and everyone is very nice and supportive. Mostly a young group employed there, but that's great if you're young.

Cons

The only con would be that you do work really hard, but that's probably the case in a lot of companies.

Rwarding

I have been working at Cerner full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

fast paced, challenging, exciting and gratifying

Cons

growth after a point, vision, politics in certain areas.