Cerner

Updated 30 January 2015
3.5

Cerner Chairman, CEO & President Neal L. Patterson
Neal L. Patterson

Pros
  • They will make you work at least 65 hours a week, no work life balance at all (in 21 reviews)

• Cerner is a great place to learn something about anything you maybe interested in (in 41 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance for the benefit of associate wellness needs addressed from top/down (in 75 reviews)

• Long hours, some employees fresh out of college and need guidance in corporate settings (in 67 reviews)

More Highlights

Amazing Company

Current Employee - Systems Engineer In Emerging Technologies in Kansas City, KS (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The people I work with are very knowledgeable and have assisted my growth in the company quickly. I actually love my job here. The on-site Cafe is amazing, they have real chefs creating delicious menus to order from. The benefits so far have been amazing. The on-site gyms have me working out regularly. The staff keep the entire place clean and they are friendly. There is always internal-training going on that you can sign up for to expand your knowledge. My experience with managers have been great. If you have something going on at home like a appliance installation you can work home from the day. It feels like a very productive and relaxed environment. If you come in early you can leave early. I work anywhere from 8-10 hours a day but it doesn't feel like a long day. If your working a 10 or 10+ hour day you usually have to get something done and are excited to do it.

I have only been here for about 4 months and I already feel like a valued member of the team.

Cons

The trainer I had left the company shortly after I started working for a better opportunity, so my training was minimal. This did not become an issues as there were other members on my team that I could get information from.

Keep up what your currently doing

Analyst

I have been working at Cerner

Pros

Great benefits and decent salary

Cons

lots of travel in some roles

Great company and good benefits!

Former Employee - Applications Analyst in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Applications Analyst in Kansas City, MO (US)

I worked at Cerner full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

My co-workers were awesome here. The associate stock purchase plan is good, and the benefit premiums never increased. They engage you and you learn a lot on the job. I recommend them!

Cons

The hours are longer than 40 a week sometimes. The starting salary was nice, but the salary increases after a yearly review were not great.

Pay the employees based on performance to add incentive.

Great place

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Cerner as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Company is growing fast and hiring alot of new people.
    Culture is very friendly and relaxed.
    They are very helpful and want you to learn alot and have fun doing it

Cons

Not a whole lot of downside. Rellocation needed, by KCMO is a great place with plenty to do.
    They push you to work hard and and find work you are interested in

Great job with your recruiting process, definitely made me want to come work for Cerner and live in KCMO

Director

Former Employee - Director in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Director in Kansas City, MO (US)

I worked at Cerner full-time (more than a year)

Pros

They are one of a few stock market traded companies in the HCIT sector.
    They have strong brand equity - although they have many unhappy clients.
    They are a big organization with lots of training opportunities for younger employees.

Cons

CEO - egotistical and doesn't really have a clue what's going on at the R/D level, in spite of the huge $B budget.
    They scare new hires about encountering CEO in an elevator who could ask random questions, if you can't answer, you will be fired. Really? Is this type of hazing necessary?
    VP's and top Execs are all managing their careers to max their bonuses, no integrity & they lie to get clients and exec support to max their bonuses..
    Lots of smoke and mirrors. Lots of turnover. Long-timers would be considered "dead wood" in most other organizations, yet have strong power at Cerner. Best and Brightest leave quickly. Lots of emphasis on "team" and not so much being "smart" - lot's of low level IQ people who've drank the kool-aid and are just hoping to hold on to a job!

If you are trying to make a difference in healthcare (honestly) - run!

More consideration should be given to understand if current staff has the skills to take on certain projects and technologies. Many innovative, advanced technologies have been driven into the ground by existing Cerner people without the education/knowledge to know what they were working with. People fudging results trying to hold on to their jobs - without a clue as to what they are doing. Sales people will sell anything to get a commission - laughing that no one will remember the lies that they told about how Cerner solutions will work...laughing to the bank. Haha - joke is on the customer, and no one thinks there's anything wrong with this -Cerner culture! Is this right? I had a hard time with it - left.

Consultants are low on the totem pole especially if they are third-party.

Current Employee - Learning Consultant in Kansas City, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Learning Consultant in Kansas City, MO (US)

I have been working at Cerner

Pros

Travel, excellent pay for the consulting job, and networking.

Cons

Havent found a way for third-party consultants to actually get many hours. Spent first 2 months of contact waiting at home penniless.

If you're using consultants, make sure you give them hours that are feasible to live on. My family almost went into serious financial ruin waiting for the call that didn't come until labor day.

Team Leader

I worked at Cerner

Pros

The benefits were great at Cerner and I do believe they start everyone with a good salary. In my opinion the bonuses are rather hard to achieve unless you walk on water.

Cons

The work life is pretty strict. All business and very little time to learn new things. Their Friday parties are one way they try to accomplish some employee feel good. I routinely put in 65 hours per week and this included work at home in the evenings. Their methodology sucks in my opinion. Method M is a joke.

Get in and out while you can

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Kansas City, KS (US)
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Kansas City, KS (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Easy to get hired (they hire in anticipation of business needs)
    Healthcare IT is a good industry
    Benefits are OK
    Relaxed environment. Most managers are OK with arriving later/leaving early to handle personal matters.

Cons

Salary is mediocre and raises are hit/miss (first year over 10%, second 3%).
    Job titles are catchalls and not indicative of the work you'll do, such as software engineers doing mostly non-development work.
    Many people are shoehorned into a position based on need, resulting in uninteresting work
    Limited career potential
    Inconsistent managers. There have been periods of weeks where it was unclear what I was to be working on.
    Little employee recognition and perks. They know this and have made attempts to improve but they are laughable.
    Lack of strategic vision
    Few opportunities for training or learning
    After the first year you'll be ready to move on

Assign job titles appropriately. Establish a vision and stop the fragmentation of the company's different organizations - there are too many cooks in the kitchen. Value & reward employees. Hire actual managers instead of just allowing tech people to transition into them. Employees aren't sticking around for a reason.

Don't believe the hype

I have been working at Cerner full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Lots of interaction with higher level executives
    Associates are fantastic
    Time off
    Onsite clinic and gym

Cons

No personal growth- if you are not a favorite you do not advance
    Leadership does not always discuss changes with you
    Low pay
    High deductible for insurance
    Annual reviews are done on a scale, someone has to be labeled as "needs improvement"
    Everything is perception, and there is a lot of faking
    No room for mistakes

Have faith in your team, and do not have favorites. Favoritism shows, and it makes others on your team feel the work they do does not matter. Pay your employees what they should be paid. A 3% increase doesn't do anything but up someones tax bracket for an extra $40.00 a paycheck. Cerner hires young fresh out of college individuals, and takes advantage of their optimism and hope to advance, a lot of empty promises. Do not believe the hype!

Overworked

Current Employee - Delivery Consultant in Kansas City, KS (US)
    Current Employee - Delivery Consultant in Kansas City, KS (US)

I have been working at Cerner full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There is a gym onsite, when you absolutely must, you can work from home, some teams are more flexible than others

Cons

48 hr a week minimum expectation, not family friendly, best for a fresh out of college familyless person

Offer alternate work schedules, make it more family friendly and your employees will stay instead of leaving when they reach that milestone in life. When AMS has experienced people, it will provide the besr service. It takes 2 yrs to really know how to do your job and that's when people are usually leaving