Chicago School of Professional Psychology

Updated 19 November 2014
Updated 19 November 2014
3.6

CEO

Excellent school with progressive ideas and programs

I have been working at Chicago School of Professional Psychology

Pros

Comprehensive psychology programs with proven outcomes.

Cons

A lot of teaching os required with less emphasis on research. But, this is the model woth practitioner-scholars.

Look to what has worked in the past as changes are not always needed. Progression is good, but respect must be paid to the history of organizations.

Professional

Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Adjunct Faculty in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Chicago School of Professional Psychology part-time (more than an year)

Pros

A very professional company to work for.

Cons

Adjunct pay is problematic, but this is probably a wider issue than just this institution.

Excellent People

I worked at Chicago School of Professional Psychology part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great office, unique atmosphere, young and energetic, always growing. Gained some valuable experience. Fun location downtown at 7th and Grand. I would absolutely recommend for someone looking to get into higher education administration.

Cons

Parking downtown can be tough without a parking lot, or some sort of compensation. Not as much room for growth as I would have liked, but they do hire from within for certain positions.

Keep developing talent in house. Don't stop growing!

Great learning experience.

Former Employee - Financial Aid Assistant in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Financial Aid Assistant in Los Angeles, CA (US)

Pros

The pay was good as a student worker.

Cons

Very little training provided from the start. You learn as you go.

Proper training would make better workers.

Keeping Up with The Who...

Former Employee - Former Employee in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Former Employee in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at Chicago School of Professional Psychology full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working here, you will encounter great people! There is great flexibility, time to mingle with co-workers and excellent time off.

Cons

Extremely poor communication on the upper management level. The agenda here is to act first and think about the consequences later. Do your research before ever considering to work here.

Very high turn over on every level. The average person only stays about 1.5 years or less. Some faculty has been here longer.

No real integration into the culture. All of the information received about the organization is outdated. And the morale is pretty much in the garbage.

Note: This is an extremely political place. I know some places can be. But beware and prepare if you ever consider wanting to work here. This is a great example of a bait and switch organization.

Stop hiring mediocre people and then a few months later, promote them to higher level positions. There are people in positions here that have no idea what it means to a true leader or innovator. TCSPP could flourish if they found a way to retain real talent and believe in their own mission and vision-not just the money.

No originality in this day and age...could have been one of the greatest but I see this school being taken over in the very near future.

Admissions Advisor

Current Employee - Admissions Counselor in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Admissions Counselor in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Chicago School of Professional Psychology full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good work-life balance, flexibility, relatively low stress,

Cons

Sometimes it can be a "What have you done for me lately environment" although I think this is true of most admissions roles. I do like it better than working in for-profit. The admissions standards for students are fairly rigorous compared to for-profits which seems like everyone can get in

Remember to look at the year to date performance - not just last week's performance

My Chicago School Review

Current Employee - Professor in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Professor in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Chicago School of Professional Psychology full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have truly enjoyed my time at the College. The students are extremely diverse and not only do I teach them but, I learn from them.

Cons

I feel like I can do more for the college and they are not allowing me to.

Increase the personal-growth and allow others to give advice so we can all grow as a team.

Teaching Assistant

Current Employee - Teaching Assistant
    Current Employee - Teaching Assistant

Pros

Great part time job while completing program.

Cons

There is a lack of communication of duties and responsibilities prior to accepting the job.

Communication and clarity of duties is not clear.

Associate Professor

Current Employee - Associate Professor in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Associate Professor in Chicago, IL (US)

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

School is always going through a "New and Improved" process of change. Little reliability

Reorganize and let things mature and grow.

The Chicago School Reviews

Current Employee - Assistant Professor in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Professor in Chicago, IL (US)

Pros

I really enjoyed how close I currently am located to the chicago school. Despite it being in a great location, i was really able to excel in the programs.

Cons

I wish I would have chosen to attend TCSPP before spending so much money on an out of state private college during my first year of teaching going back and forth.

I would suggest adding more programs in more obscure areas of psychology. This could be of interest to those creative types who are looking to enter the field.

Chicago School of Professional Psychology Photos