Children's Home + Aid

Be The First To
Add Photos

Nancy Ronquillo

Reputable company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Children's Home + Aid

ProsReputable company who treats their clients like family. I was proud to work for them. Great boss, team/coworkers. Flex time so you didn't burn out. Yearly pay increases.

ConsMeager pay, as with most social services jobs, at least entry level. Little room for advancement within my particular sector (foster care services). Pay increase yearly was little to nothing and other opportunities for increased pay all part of "Career ladder" with close to impossible standards. Little room for balance btw Paperwork and field work, one seemed to always suffer in order to meet standards from agency handed down by DCFS which changed pretty often.

Different and Unique

Dedicated employees
Great wellness program
Strong client teacher relationship
Community based programs

ConsNot enough opportunity for growth and development for employees seeking higher education and career change.
Improve communication channels within the different sites

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize and support employees need for improvement and career change.

The hardest job you w/ ever do

Statewide Administration (Current Employee)

I have been working at Children's Home + Aid full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat Social Workers helping their community despite obstacles

ConsNo work/life balance, no chance for upward mobility, disparity in pay, zero perks and low salary

Advice to Senior ManagementFix the "me" attitude of your Upper Admin Leaders.

Good at my level, not so much above me

I have been working at Children's Home + Aid full-time for more than 8 years

ProsI have a good supervisor who allows me the flexibility I need to do my job well. The atmosphere in my office is very family oriented. The majority of the employees do quality work and do care about the children and families served.

ConsToo much weight at the executive level, not enough IT support (there should be at least one IT person in each area, stop making them travel all over), not enough communication between upper management and lower levels.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop using all sorts of consultants to come up with half-baked ideas that don't work with the day-to-day staff. Communicate upcoming projects across regions better. Take time to recognize that a lot of "average Joes" can contribute lots of small amounts instead of always looking for the biggest donors to make major donations. Stop being cheerleaders and shadow staff to see what we really do.

Loved The Experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Children's Home + Aid for more than a year

Prossurrounded by great managers who share the same passion as you do of working with youth, women, and families. Loved how much they go out of their way to make sure they have a impact on those they interact with

Consthere aren't any down sides to this company

Poor management, no advancement potential and extreme favoritism

Teacher (Current Employee)

I have been working at Children's Home + Aid full-time for more than a year

ProsI have met some great co-workers and have bonded with many families, I have learned a few things along the way

ConsAdministrators look the other way while people play the system. Breaks are inadequate. There are some teachers who have no concept of child development yet seem to run the place. Parents run the show, policies are not followed and "at-risk" or low income people should not drive luxury cars and have iphones.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your staff and don't let a few bully the rest. People may seem qualified on paper, but in reality have no business working with defenseless babies. Your next employee might be the one to finally call DCFS.

Corporate would be/should be appalled

Residential Counselor (Former Employee)
Evanston, IL (US)

I worked at Children's Home + Aid full-time for more than 3 years

ProsVery few, if any. Some great coworkers and rewarding relationships with the kids.

ConsManagement plays favorites from the top to the bottom, lack of discipline and accountability, a couple of verbally and emotionally abusive employees who are never held accountable that bully clients and fellow staff, unethical management, lack of organization, lack of training in company protocol, employees not allowed to voice concerns without repercussions, employees' safety frequently neglected by immediate and administrative supervisors, no room for professional growth, dangerous clients were transitioned back into the general population so as not to reflect negatively on institution's statistics and funding, etc, etc, etc, etc

Advice to Senior ManagementCorporate needs to clean house of all facility management and conduct extensive employee reviews on coworkers, management, and upper management.

Office Staff Beware

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee)
Evanston, IL (US)

I worked at Children's Home + Aid full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThere were many pleasant, dedicated people who looked out for children and families.

ConsManagement played favorites among individuals and programs. Communication and cooperation between programs did not happen easily. There were a lot of internal "us vs. them" conflicts between programs. Consideration of employees' safety, especially regarding dealing with clients, was not always done.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate an environment where employees feel safe and comfortable to express their views. When employees express concerns, do not play them down, thus creating a constant reactionary atmosphere by dealing with those concerns only after they have long become out of hand. Respect the office staff people, the IT techs, the accounting staff, maintenance/custodial staff, and food service staff -- they are no less important than the social workers, and are needed just as much to keep the office running.

Varied company depending on where you work

Teacher (Former Employee)

I worked at Children's Home + Aid full-time for more than a year

Pros-The mission of children's home + aid is to support disadvantaged children and their families so being able to be a part of that is rewarding
-They provide a lot of different kinds of services to at need families

Cons-Working in a preschool that is understaffed is one of the most stressful things you can do ever

Advice to Senior Management-Ensure classrooms are properly staffed considering how difficult the students are and be more involved in the classrooms even if that means hiring someone to cover whatever is taking up time in the office. Not saying they should micro manage but employees appreciate helpful direction.

Better than most, but still not the best place to teach...

I have been working at Children's Home + Aid

ProsThe location is good, the facility is better than most, decent benefits, small class sizes.

ConsManagement lacks flexibility and communication skills. Not much support, inadequate breaks and very understaffed. Management does not listen to teaching staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate your staff and listen to them.

Worked for Children's Home + Aid? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Children's Home + Aid reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Children's Home + Aid CEO Nancy Ronquillo. All 13 reviews are posted anonymously by Children's Home + Aid employees.