Children's Hospital of Philadelphia

Children's Hospital of Philadelphia Reviews

Updated Jul 28, 2014

Children's Hospital of Philadelphia President and CEO Steven M. Altschuler

Steven M. Altschuler

Pros
  • making a difference in child's life, help many children get better with research and treatments (in 5 reviews)

• Nice location in Upenn campus not far away from downtown; very good work environment; people are very friendly (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • You have to go through many safety training in different level (in 2 reviews)

• They have little to no concern for their employees (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

It was there for me when I needed it?

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAlthough I didn't have a job lined up for me after college graduation, my mentor there did remember me and invite me back to work for her. I enjoyed the tuition remission benefit.

ConsI really didn't care to waste my time working, and so once I convinced my manager to let me work only (and to be paid for only) 25hrs/week, it was smoother, but it did take some convincing.

Great place for medical research

Clinical Research Assistant I (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA (US)

ProsI worked as a research assistant in a large (40+ personnel) NIH R01 funded lab. This was one of the most enjoyable and satisfying jobs I have ever had, although many of my experiences will not necessarily generalize to other research groups or departments at CHOP.

CHOP itself is an exciting place to work, and it tends to attract very competent and motivated employees (with a few exceptions; see below). Collaborating with other researchers at CHOP was always a pleasure for this reason. If you work in a field that CHOP executives consider high priority, internal funding is generously given for research equipment, staff, and other resources.

ConsCHOP bureaucracy is frustratingly slow, and can result in long delays of simple tasks; e.g. purchasing approved items such as office supplies can take months; making small changes to your group's website can take weeks to be approved; certain departments never return phone calls.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork to remove bureaucratic obstacles for important routine tasks. Substantial time that should be spent on research and patient care is being wasted navigating CHOP bureaucracy.

OK place to work

Bioinformatics Specialist (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA (US)

ProsIn research, hours are very flexible. Leadership is not flexible...either you do what you are told or get out.

ConsEveryone speaks Chinese. Very little collaboration. Lots of politics. No one seems to work together....after 3 yrs here I still here like an outsider in my own group.

Advice to Senior ManagementUse your employees strengths

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Stable Job with much prospect of growth.

ProsNoble Cause to get motivated.

ConsSalary is pretty low.But Recruiters are very misguiding about the compensation structure of the organization.

CHOP is the place to be

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA (US)

ProsGreat people
    Good benefits
    Vacation time is better than anywhere else

ConsCHOP culture is very complex and it takes a while to get up to speed
    Hiring process is rather long

excellent and inspiring place to work

Prosteam players making a difference. Lots of opportunities to grow your career within the organization. Strong interpersonal skills are a plus

Consexclusive and rigorous hiring process

Company is cheap and not what everyone thinks from the outside looking in

Office (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA (US)

ProsVery good technology, clinical staff really cares about their patients, great and outstanding doctors, flexible hours, hospital very good at building its reputation

ConsCompany doesnt pay well, no good benefits, not enough parking, favortism, people in higher positions look down to people in lower positions

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer better pay and better benefits. Maybe make learning to be more courteous to your co-worker classes just as mandatory as learning links.

Wonderful Place but RNs are underpaid.

Registered Nurse (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA (US)

ProsGreat orientation for new RNs.
    You work here because you love children!
    Ability to move around in the company.

ConsCompensation is POOR. CNAs and Environmental Services make almost the same amount as Clinical I RNs.
    Punitive safety net filing.
    Have to worry about doing wrong more than getting recognized for doing good.
    Parking in horrible.

Unrealistic Expectations

Office Coordinator (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA (US)

ProsThe pros of working at CHOP is that the salary is very competitive for an hourly-waged worker and the benefits are pretty good. The environment is also positive and aesthetically pleasing in the main areas. Depending on the unit, you have flexibility with your schedule and are not micro-managed.

ConsThe challenge of working here is that job responsibilities in administration, particularly nursing administration, are unrealistic. It appears that supervision does not have a genuine understanding of all it it takes to support a unit of 150 or more staff . The job entails the bi-weekly processing of payroll, completing a 4-8 week schedule for nursing staff which in some cases include more than 300+ nurses on a unit, expense reports, random or regular supply ordering, responding to staff inquiries, special projects, the upkeep of employee files --- the list goes on-and-on. Depending on the unit that you work, overtime is not an option and working from home to stay on top of things is ousted. The expectation is that you have a 40 hour work week, and that's all you have to get it done. Period. If you fall behind or if you are unable to absorb all of the duties (or should I say, the ones supervision deems important), expect a PIP to be your next reality and more than likely a shrugged shoulder and good bye! The position can become extremely stressful particularly if you are a person who strives hard to stay on top of things only to see it's virtually impossible. If you take off a few days, expect to fall behind because there is no back up for you when you're gone. If you are a non-union employee, your raises are performance based, and of course if your role is underestimated or devalued then you won't be adequately compensated for your efforts.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would advise management to think before implementing changes and/or adding job responsibilities onto those in office administration. Evaluate the current workload and provide proper training (hands-on / classroom tutelage) if additional work must be added. Do not assume what works for one unit will always work for another unless you've evaluated the tasks of the admins across the board. In closing, develop a relationship with your admin. Create an open line of communication to ascertain whether or not pertinent details are being overlooked. If you see that a worker is diligent, a non-slacker, and works well across the board, value them and their strengths before you lose them. Having to rehire over-and-over is costly, time-consuming and non-productive. Consider evaluating your expectations coupled with reality going forward.

Excellent clinically but senior management out of touch.

Director (Current Employee) Philadelphia, PA (US)

ProsGreat mission
    Decent work-life balance
    Good compensation

ConsSenior management out of touch With workers
    Too many work to cover their tails rather than to be truly collaborative
    Mediocre gets rewarded

Worked for Children's Hospital of Philadelphia? Contribute to the Community!