Children's Hospital of Philadelphia

Updated 10 September 2014
3.7

Children's Hospital of Philadelphia President and CEO Steven M. Altschuler
Steven M. Altschuler

Pros
  • making a difference in child's life, help many children get better with research and treatments (in 5 reviews)

• Nice location in Upenn campus not far away from downtown; very good work environment; people are very friendly (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • You have to go through many safety training in different level (in 2 reviews)

• They have little to no concern for their employees (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

A great and stable place to work at

I have been working at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

A good place to work at.

Cons

Things can move a little slow sometimes.

best time of my life as a intern

Former Employee - Human Resources  in  Philadelphia, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Philadelphia, PA (US)

I worked at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia as an intern for less than a year

Pros

good work to do people are friendly and a highly successful hospital

Cons

not enough food and long periods of work

none

The place has heart...

I have been working at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Wonderful opportunity to work in one of the BEST children's hospital in the world, kids and family are top priority. CHOP is very thoughtful in dealings with families and communities, it has the best of intentions. Decent benefits-PPL. CEO is great and a forward thinker. Not a bad place to work great learning experience.

Cons

22th century medical advancements, 19th century administrative practices and dealings. This is a very passive-aggressive environment, take this into consideration, agressive behavior no matter how good the intention or passion might leave you frustrated. Not a lot of room for advancement, a LOT of chiefs, often great intentions are mis handled. There is a slightly arrogant culture-not so much from the surgeons (which to a point is understandable and expected-these are some of the world's best performing miracles daily) but from leadership minus the CEO he is great, there is a underlining culture that you must adhere too if you want to maintain your sanity, if you are not a kool-aid drinker you have about 3 years before you must drink or be consistently frustrated at the many obstacles and hoops you must jump thru for little to no reward. Lots of praise given out (especially if you manager read a book or too) that many times does not mean much in the end. Lots of meetings to have meetings to have a meeting.

CHOP has its heart in the right place, just too many chiefs...do more for work-balance it will build loyalty for those newer employees entering

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

If your in research run!!!!!!

Former Employee - Clinical Research Coordinator II  in  Philadelphia, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Clinical Research Coordinator II in Philadelphia, PA (US)

I worked at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia full-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent Benefits
    Looks great on resume especially if interested in med school
    Great resting point for those needing time do post bacc course work before applying for medical or school

Cons

Low salary
    PI abuse power to controll staff
    Limited growth opportunities for those looking for long term career stability

Current organizational structure which has program managers as supervisors of research staff. This structure protects PIs from facing any consequences for the mistreatment of staff and reduces moral.

Great for patients, horrible for employees

Former Employee - Pharmacist  in  Philadelphia, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Pharmacist in Philadelphia, PA (US)

I worked at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Extensive training given, very reassuring given the high risk pediatric environment. Clean and organized work environment. Very good benefits. Some opportunity for promotion.

Cons

Almost no work-life consideration from managers. Made to feel guilty just for taking a sick day. Extreme micro-managing with almost no connection between mangers and front line staff. Suggestions are unwelcome and rarely heeded if you can even get management to listen. Employees treated like workers not contributors which means employees rarely feel invested in what they are doing. You do not feel like an valued member of the team, just another worker to fill a shift. This leads to a lot of staff turnover which management doesn't seem to care about cause nothing changes. Salary is lower than regional average.

Employee's should be treated with the same amount of reverence and respect for which you treat your patients. Listen to your employees and they will feel invested in what they are doing. Consider the quality of the work environment, happy employees mean happy patients.

Losing Its Way

Current Employee - Quality Improvement  in  Philadelphia, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Quality Improvement in Philadelphia, PA (US)

I have been working at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia full-time for more than a year

Pros

Incredibly dedicated front line staff
    Good benefits package
    Opportunities for growth
    Reputation
    Pockets of culture that supports teamwork and values optimizing care for patients

Cons

Complete disconnect t between leadership and front line staff. Focus is so much on profits and finances that the leadership seems to forget it's the clinical staff that are the reason patients come here. They have bought their own hype about being number one.

Spend some time with the staff who do the real work here, but don't make hundreds of thousands -- or millions -- of dollars in the process

Postdoctoral Fellow

Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow  in  Phila, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Postdoctoral Fellow in Phila, PA (US)

I have been working at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia full-time for less than a year

Pros

Collaborative environment, learning opportunitites, great benefits

Cons

few teaching opportunities, at times heavy work load

It was there for me when I needed it?

I worked at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia

Pros

Although I didn't have a job lined up for me after college graduation, my mentor there did remember me and invite me back to work for her. I enjoyed the tuition remission benefit.

Cons

I really didn't care to waste my time working, and so once I convinced my manager to let me work only (and to be paid for only) 25hrs/week, it was smoother, but it did take some convincing.

Politics in the NICU

Former Employee - Registered RN  in  Philadelphia, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Registered RN in Philadelphia, PA (US)

I worked at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Brand name and not much else

Cons

Strange attitude by on floor management, 'holier and smarter than though' comes through. Tired of seeing their nose hairs because they tilt their noses up so high.

Tell the NICU Management that they put their clothes on just like everyone else that works their

OK place to work

Current Employee - Bioinformatics Specialist  in  Philadelphia, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Bioinformatics Specialist in Philadelphia, PA (US)

Pros

In research, hours are very flexible. Leadership is not flexible...either you do what you are told or get out.

Cons

Everyone speaks Chinese. Very little collaboration. Lots of politics. No one seems to work together....after 3 yrs here I still here like an outsider in my own group.

Use your employees strengths

Worked for Children's Hospital of Philadelphia? Contribute to the Community!