Ciena

Ciena Reviews

Updated Jul 31, 2014

Ciena President, CEO, and Director Gary B. Smith

Gary B. Smith

Pros
  • This allows employees to have a great work-life balance (in 19 reviews)

• Flexible work schedule and good work environment (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • No career growth plan for employees (in 6 reviews)

• The upper management does not know what they are doing (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

I learnt a lot more than I expected to and in spite of being an intern, I had freedom to try out my own ideas.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsIndependence, I got to pace my work. Co-workers were very helpful. There was always an encouragement to implement my ideas. I got to work on current projects and contributed while learning

ConsI wasn't there long enough to be able to point out glaring cons. I would probably be able to comment better on it if I got to work more.

Great potential

ProsGreat, sales focused company. Great technical prowess.

ConsCan sometimes be challenging to overcome division silos.

It was decent, but I wish I could have worked on more relevant projects.

Research Intern (Former Employee) Baltimore, MD (US)

ProsCurrently working on next generation technologies. Working hours are flexible. Friendly and amicable colleagues. Medium sized company with a few sites.

ConsThe environment is somewhat lackluster. Seems very fragmented. I was working when the company was in a transition period (physically). Has not been doing well as of late.

Advice to Senior ManagementI think more involvement is necessary.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Energetic company. Good ideas. Good Technology. Living quarter by quarter.

ProsGood Work. Good ideas. Good Technology

ConsTelecom. Living quarter by quarter.

An industry leader with global footprint

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Ottawa, ON (Canada)

ProsMedium-sized company, focused on optical and packet networking. It strives to challenge the status quo and redefine the network layers. It is poised for growth.

ConsPerformance awards are not generous perhaps due to the fact that it is not profitable especially after the Nortel acquisition. Little attention is paid on helping employees manage and grow their careers within the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease the priority of career development for employees even if that change means leaving to a different organization or role.

QA Engineer

QA Engineer (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA (US)

Prosgreat people to work with

Consnot enough work in Atlanta

Advice to Senior Managementrebuild Atlanta

Great teamwork environment, forward thinking, innovative

Web Developer (Current Employee) Hanover, MD (US)

ProsInnovative, collaborative, salaries and bonuses competitive. Corp policy 2 days remote work, if job permits. I never work over 40 hours a week

ConsBonuses lacking, raises subpar, management top heavy

Advice to Senior ManagementYou're a manager if you have people under you. There are too many upper managers with no subordonates.

Demotivating work environment

ProsWork Life balance is very good.
    Good HR policies
    Good pay
    Good place if you are just looking to take life easy.

ConsThe bonus pool is a joke.
    No positive cross-team communication.
    In-fighting among team members fostered by the upper management.
    Poorly managed release schedule.

Interview process is a joke. People are hired willy-nilly based on who they knoe rather than how much they know. And the process itself is not regulated - sometimes they have group interviews and sometimes individualized.
    No respect for employees and future employees. I have seen interview candidates made to wait for hours in the lobby, while they bring in other candidates for interviews.

Not enough senior members in the engineering teams. The less experienced Engineers are not able to handle the major design changes. Not enough work for all the Engineers. Right now the all the Engineering teams are in hiring mode but this is just so that the management can get promoted. Loads of people are just sitting around doing their own personal work/training etc. People have been working on the same technologies for years - this is good as they have great knowledge of that one technology but the bad thing is they have no idea about the others and refuse to work on other technologies.

One BU rides on the shoulders of the other. This will not work long term and will lead to lay-offs if no new revenue stream is generated.

No long term planning. Work is done on a day to day basis leading to mismanagement of time.

NO RSUs/Stocks till you are at a much higher grade.

Research more about the company culture before accepting a job and take the recruiters words with a pinch of salt.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind out why people are so demotivated.

Not a bad place to work

ProsEasy going atmosphere, nice colleagues, good attitude

ConsEmployees are tired, little recognition of achievement

Advice to Senior ManagementPay raises to engineering employees when their section is profitable

Software developer(Engineer)

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCool culture, Great people, Gym, Table Tennis and Snooker. Good work depends on which team you are in and what are your preferences. You can get work in Java or C++ or networking.

ConsThe appraisal structure, I guess, is the biggest con. I guess, because the two years I was there, only a few elite got any appraisal. Rest of us had to be satisfied with so meager a bonus that it was all spent on a single treat.

Advice to Senior ManagementEvident from the cons.

Worked for Ciena? Contribute to the Community!