Cisco Systems

Cisco Systems Chairman & CEO John T. Chambers

John T. Chambers

(3,049 ratings)

4,226 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "The work life balance is better compare to many of the start-ups"
    in 467 reviews
  • "It is very flexible environment where most people can work from home if they desire"
    in 266 reviews
Cons:
  • "No work life balance if you are an individual contributor"
    in 147 reviews
  • "The result is a dilution of culture and a race towards big company mediocrity"
    in 139 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good company to work for but must work for it

I have been working at Cisco Systems as a contractor for less than a year

ProsWork with teams of professionals across the globe in their respective fields and utilise a range of cutting edge technologies and solutions in day to day activities. If you enjoy working in an environment that changes every day then Cisco is somewhere you will enjoy working.

ConsCompany adapting since GFC pressures hit, thus staff and equipment have been scaled back to accommodate changes to the landscape. Also like many other tech companies following the trend of "hot desking" only exemption to this are the engineers who still have their own workstations.

Great company and people, challenging times ahead - the "can do" attitude must prevail for continued success.

Senior Account Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Cisco Systems full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat company, people with broad reach and opportunity across market. Very respected company within marketplace.

ConsTend to get overwhelmed with internal process' that takes you away from the customer far to often. Challenging for continued double digit growth especially within mature markets, given enterprise market attitude and improving acceptance of cloud based solutions and offerings.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't just manage up! Act as leaders and assist the sales and engineering teams to be successful so that management can also be successful.

Once great tech giant reduced to knee-jerk pandering to stock price perceptions...oh look a puppy.

Systems Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Cisco Systems full-time for more than 3 years

ProsSome great people and really cool tech. Fun work trips interstate and international. Some opportunity to expand professional experiences. Looks great on the CV. Very strong customer awareness and penetration. Can make okay money as long as you are selling well. Pretty good corporate perks - hotels, medical, etc...

ConsHighly politicized. Constant backstabbing and bickering. Significant gap between exec leadership messaging and regional/localized management implementation. Tribalism and nepotism are rife at the coal face. Spineless managers who would rather bury their heads in the sand than advocate for their staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry cutting the fat from middle management on this years annual "right sizing". Leave the Sales and Pre-Sales resources in their places...especially when they are smashing targets!

Over 12 years with Cisco with 4 in the Security Business

Account Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Cisco Systems full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat People with passion for the job and excellent to have on your CV. Most people willing to help you and give advice.

ConsJust like most big companies, became too corporate, where the "yes" men got promoted and the organisation lost it's soul. Have some fantastic products but they are just loosing the edge with more nimble competitors, especially in the security game. Cisco were the masters of integrating organisations, but recent integrations may have not been so successful such as Ironport and Scansafe, so many of those people left it weakened the product positioning in the integration space.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand you can't win it all and having competition is healthy. Stop creating a them and us chasm between management and the work force, and maybe it's healthy for people to challenge the top and maybe it is of value to listen to them.

Great place to work

Account Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time for more than 3 years

ProsCustomer centric, results driven individuals, teams and management

ConsRisks becoming overwhelmed with internal business process like other large IT vendors, simply due to it's size.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe IT industry is certainly in a rapid state of change, but don't forget the winning formula that has lead to Cisco's success

Very satisfying career

Program Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time for more than 10 years

ProsIncredibly flexible work/life integration, cutting edge technologies, brilliant people, and interesting work. My team has a great manager and we all really enjoy what we're doing.

ConsDeath of 1,000 budget cuts - constant pressure to drive down costs year after year. Projects get stopped or features & functionality get reduced to meet cost cutting requirements, however the work still remains to be done.

Advice to Senior ManagementAll these cost cutting measures are now impacting providing our customers, employees, partners and shareholders the best our company can produce. Transformation & evolution of the existing services has to be done....while still running the business.

Amazing Culture and Company

Director (Former Employee)

I worked at Cisco Systems full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGreat culture, amazing technolgy, very caring leadership, excellent pay and compensation, flexible work, you eat your own dog food. I had telepresence at home could work when I needed to and had total autonomy to make decisions

ConsSometimes the CEO made a few mistakes and he did not realise until to late.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to lead from the front and continue to look after your people

friendly people and amazing learning environment, can be stressful at times

Customer Service Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time

Prospeople,
learning, training,
forgiving, supportive,
good health fund cover

Consstressful, can be hard to get ahead because of so many talents

Advice to Senior Managementtake care of the employees and promote from within more

great all-around job

Network Consulting Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Cisco Systems full-time for more than 5 years

Prosmost people are pretty cool. internal CEO birthday chats (although i was never allowed to go somehow when i worked in SJ). global footprint - lots of places to work remotely. awesome remote access policy and flexible work highly encouraged. very cool labs and engineering resources. some really great people developing and doing really great things. global opportunities and good emphasis on career growth.

Conslots of middle layers to the company. oodles of inane processes. bad mix of folks who care versus folks who don't. sharply waning amount of time or budget for training (especially in customer support). some places where awful line managers can hide and fester. not everyone buys into "one cisco". many misplaced intentions and forced initiatives.

Advice to Senior Managementbe more open about pending changes. invest more everything in your employees. price control of products.

Contract life with Cisco

Road Warrior (Former Employee)
Melbourne

I worked at Cisco Systems as a contractor for less than a year

ProsGreat innovative products and great online training

ConsPoor support services to back up sales efforts (in Australia)

Advice to Senior ManagementRamp up ratio of technical support people to sales people

Worked for Cisco Systems? Contribute to the Community!

Cisco Systems Videos

Cisco Systems – Why Work for Us?

We’re the people who made the Internet what it is today. From its early days of simple connectivity to the future of the Internet of Everything, we’ve pioneered it every step of the way. Now we’re building the best team… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Cisco Systems reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Cisco Systems CEO John T. Chambers . All 4,226 reviews are posted anonymously by Cisco Systems employees.