Citizens Bank Reviews

Updated 17 April 2015
67 reviews filtered by
  • Boston, MA, US Area (US)
2.7
Citizens Bank CEO Bruce Van Saun
Bruce Van Saun

1. Great Atmosphere, Great location, Great People

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Citizens Bank

Pros

Pay is above comparable companies for same title, 22 days PTO, location (in Boston), work/life balance, colleagues are so helpful and friendly.

Cons

The 401Kis the worst of any company I have worked for (4% after one year employment, 2%end of year, 3 year vesting period). Their onboarding is horrible, no process at all...it was very frustrating, but the people and the job itself made it manageable, the employee "discounts" are terrible, you can get better discounts searching online.

Advice to Management

I know you changed the 401K policy, but it really is below average from the industry, especially for the size of the company. Also, better employee discounts, and create an onboarding experience including a couple of swag giveaways that show you are truly welcoming a new employee.

2. Regimented environment,but was unsettled due to restructuring.--perhaps better for those with strong project management

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Dedham, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Dedham, MA (US)

I worked at Citizens Bank full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Hardworking colleagues
    -Largely supportive group throughout company
    -Community service-oriented
    -Modern open-space work environment to promote interaction and idea exchange with colleagues
    -Department tried to promote transparency, especially as the reorganization was intensifying

Cons

-Not exactly a con (and this is only an individual viewpoint), but due to regulated nature of business, seems to require certain temperament to enjoy the work.
    -Co. somewhat unsettled; was in process of restructuring while I was there; however, I understood from others that there would be periodic reorganizations/layoffs before I arrived (not sure whether due to the economy and/or nature of this bank.)
    -Modern open-space work environment could also be a detraction, if one is not used to the surrounding noise

Advice to Management

-I have no comments to management, since my supervisor was outstanding, enthusiastic, attentive, and fair! Very supportive of his team, wanting to help them not just in their jobs but for their careers.

3. Great company to not just work for, but to build a career.

Current Employee - Branch Manager II in Methuen, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Branch Manager II in Methuen, MA (US)

I have been working at Citizens Bank

Pros

Great benefits, stock purchase option and ability to grow. They care about the opinion of us colleagues and actually make changes based upon our feedback.

Cons

Turnover is tough, but not different from any other retail sales job. The turnover makes it difficult to have fully staffed regions. Even if your branch is fully staffed there's almost zero chance the region is, in turn makes you cover other branches and shorten your own staff.

Advice to Management

I think that the management is doing a good job. Possibly limit many changes at the same time. We are all for new and improved products and processes but at times can be overbearing.

5. Look at another firm

Current Employee - Financial Consultant in Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Consultant in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Citizens Bank (More than a year)

Pros

401k, after that there is not much elex to talk about pros for working here. Worst choice I made somming here.

Cons

Branch refferals are hard to come buy. No screening or vetting done with refferal before sending it to FA. Systems are out datted. Limited investment choicesbfor cleints.

6. I worked as a banker, that was my title. But my job functions were that of a teller. i was misled about the position

Former Employee - Banker I in Boston, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Banker I in Boston, MA (US)

I worked at Citizens Bank

Pros

The company itself has a good work culture, good benefits, and shows appreciation towards employees.

Cons

It depends on the location where you work.. My location was terrible, horrible manager, stressful sales environment,

7. Old company

Current Employee - Quantitative Analyst in Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Quantitative Analyst in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Citizens Bank

Pros

Quite laid-back working environment. Flexible to wfh and take PTOs. Great work-life balance

Cons

Not a good choice if you want learn new things and improve yourself

DO NOT WORK THERE

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Medford, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Medford, MA (US)

I have been working at Citizens Bank

Pros

NONE pros about this company!

Cons

Working environment sucks!!! Treat people unfair

9. Personal Banker

Current Employee - Personal Banker in Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Personal Banker in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Citizens Bank

Pros

Great work environment, friendly people, plenty of opportunities to grow and succeed

Cons

long hours, on feet, customer service

Advice to Management

help develop employees and not keep them in the same position

Retail & Business Banking employees have unrealistic and unfair sales goals

Former Employee - Bankers & Business Banking Officers in Boston, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Bankers & Business Banking Officers in Boston, MA (US)

I worked at Citizens Bank

Pros

Good benefits and very good internal training.

Cons

Don't be fooled...all retail and business banking employees are just sales employees. The sales goals are ridiculous AND they tend to change the goals every 6 months to make it harder and harder to reach your goals and thus...NOT GET PAID the commission that they promised. The management micro-manage your (sales) progress and if you have a bad month or two, you get a warning. A warning means you lose any ability to earn your sales commission for that quarter. It is such a scam. Plus they use some metrics to determine sales goals that seem way out of whack. For example, some of the goals in southern NH are the SAME goals as downtown Boston. If you love sales and competition with (against) your co-workers, this is a job for you. Everyone is in competition with each other and if management only knew, most of the sales people (AND middle management!) find a way to BS the system. What a joke.

Advice to Management

If you have even 10% job satisfaction for the retail and business banking team, I would be shocked. The only employees that like their job work in areas where it is easy to make your goals. Treating people like numbers is a losing proposition.

Too many managers to answer to

Current Employee - Assistant Branch Manager in Boston, MA (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Branch Manager in Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Citizens Bank

Pros

Lot's of room to grow

Cons

incentive program is constantly changing, high turnover, short staffed, staff who is present is operationally poor, poor leadership

Citizens Bank Photos