City of Houston

City of Houston Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014

City of Houston Mayor Annise D. Parker

Annise D. Parker

Pros
  • Typically good work life balance depending on the particular manager or group that you work for(in 6 reviews)

• Great benefits, very close to the tunnels(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Extremely low pay, very political, no unity across the city(in 6 reviews)

• Office politics drive most decision making regarding personnel(in 5 reviews)

My experience at the City of Houston has been a rollercoaster ride since day one.

Financial Analyst IV (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsGood benefits, promotions if you work hard and accept challenges, great people.

ConsCommunication is terrible, no one takes accountability, everyone is always comparing salaries and job duties.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider giving incentives like education reimbursement, stop wasteful spending and increase training.

Adventurist experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsOne of the best things about working here is the work experience. Learning to work in a busy environment,fast past office a variety of different languages.

ConsBeing able to adapt to different cultures and having to maintain a balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would learn to appreciate the people that work under me.

Park maintance

Welder/Simi Skilled Laborer (Former Employee)

ProsGood benifits and 401k along with working with all kinds of people..

ConsLow pay grade. Very hard to move up in the company.

Advice to Senior Managementnone

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The Money matters NOT the Employee

Senior Sideloader (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsThe people and benefits are great worth coming to work ea day.

ConsThe hours stress, and lack of concern and respect for employees make you just want to resign and find work elsewhere ! They forget that you are a citizen of the City of Houston as well as an employee.

hmmm not much to say

Wic (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

Prosbenefits is a pro only benefits

Conspeople that they hire and have in charge

Advice to Senior Managementget new management

Operations

ProsBenefits are great especially the sick time and tuition reimbursment

Conspay, very little chance to advance, supervision needs work

Its an okay place to work

Accountant (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsPeople are great to work with, paid holidays, good work-life balance, no weekends (depending on the department), can bringing children to work.

ConsExtremely low pay, very political, no unity across the city.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay employees a salary that is comparable with education and experience.

Administrative Clerk

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAll the holidays off
    balance work/life
    Employees are hard-workers.

ConsI worked for the City of Houston as an Intern for a month, then I was asked to come onboard as a contract worker promising a guarantee employment after I graduated from college.
    The City of Houston is known for a steady job and benefits. Well, the benefits are no longer what they used to be. " Steady employment, " means there is no room for growth unless you are one of the "favorite upper-management employees." Try applying for a job with the City and see if you'll receive a call, or email back, even if you have applied 15 times ! City of Houston works on the " good 'ole boy system. " Even if you are qualified your application will never get to the hire manager before COH employees relatives. If you are one of the lucky ones to land a job with City, please learn as much as you can and RUN !

Advice to Senior ManagementStop with the office politics
    If you see an individual that is a hard-worker, and eager to learn promote that person
    Stop hiring relatives
    Look at everyone application without bias intent.

My tenure was productive, educational and rewarding.

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsThe City of Houston provides excellent training, company values, benefits, parking incentives and competitive pay.

ConsAdministrative and/or office personnel are not recognized in a timely manner when it comes to promotions within the company. As a result, they are relocated or passed over to fill vacancies and not rewarded.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffice staff members are the right hand to upper management. They work selfishly to accommodate management and are expected to maintain daily operations of the office. Without us, the office would not run as smoothly.

A learning and growth experience

Anonymous (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsThe benefits; the work schedule; the community involvement; colleagues; good work life balance; some managers allow you some flexibility to implement projects that will support the community

ConsSalary; little opportunity for growth; some areas afraid of growth or change; no bonuses; departments seem to work independently

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport your staff and consider bonuses outside of merit raises for extra effort

Worked for City of Houston? Contribute to the Community!