Claire's Stores

Be The First To
Add Photos

Claire's Stores CEO James D. Fielding

James D. Fielding

Pros
  • Awesome employee discount- although it made spending money within the store easy(in 35 reviews)

• Will hire you as a keyholder as long as you have previous retail experience, 50% discount on everything(in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • district manager doesn't care about individuals, just how we make her look(in 30 reviews)

• Too much tasking without the help of a staff because you are usually working alone(in 28 reviews)

Overall, a cush job that shouldn't be taken too seriously.

Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsFun environment; even if you don't like little girls, you end up LOVING them every time they come to your store!

Business casual dress code means you feel comfortable at work! Claire's is one of the few retailers who is accepting (and almost encouraging!) of tasteful tattoos and body jewelry. However, gauges are slightly more difficult to get away with; I bought a ton of plain plugs and super glue earrings onto them to keep up with the trends.

Excellent discount on merchandise inspires you to stay up to date on trends. You begin to fall in love with trends you never thought you would before!

Great way to dive into management! I was hired as a third key and within months was promoted up! If you're serious about your job, always bring your a-game, and tell your DSM that you're open to moving, it is potentially extremely easy to move up in management quickly, learning a lot about the management world!

Perfect environment for children and young women! We are allowed to uphold a fun and safe environment, and that includes asking people to leave when they are being vulgar or inappropriate! It's all about being family friendly. =)

ConsUnrealistic expectations with tasks: you're given bare minimum hours to do a task that requires at least double those hours! Moving an entire store's worth of merchandise can't be done by two people in three hours.

Unrealistic expectations with sales:
    DSM will rag on you even if you exceed company expectations and standards.
    Company insists on an easy return policy yet returns DESTROY store statistics.
    You're told to be pushy about ear piercing with every customer and it causes a lot of customers to leave.

Everything is monitored and micromanaged: DSM now manipulates EVERY schedule to please her, despite not knowing availability or schedules of management team. Visual has to be set EXACTLY as corporate wants it, despite local theft patterns or local sales patterns.

DSM has obvious favorites and doesn't even try to hide them!

DSM essentially only ruins morale with employees. Every day, reading her emails or hearing her voicemails just makes you feel hopeless, as though you won't ever be able to do well unless your her favorite.

Very difficult to communicate outside of your district for any reason! Calling the benefits hotline results in a month long wait for a return call, by which time you could no longer be eligible to enroll! Calling HR requires you to leave a detailed message, which makes you feel as though they are going to inquire after the SM or DSM prior to returning your call and hearing your side. No way to notify if a customer left upset, yet a customer complaint can cause you your job.

Benefits are decent but be wary of how they will remove the amount from your paycheck! My first month of benefits, they took the full amount out of BOTH paychecks! Thanks for the warning about me not being able to pay bills.

Claire's is high theft but expects you to prevent it with no additional coverage. Customers learn to steal when you're helping a different person (ie, stuck at the register).

Advice to Senior ManagementEvery customer base reacts differently to visuals! Stores should be able to have more power over making slight alterations to their planograms!

Communication is embarrassing. At a corporation this level, there is no excuse for how pathetic it is to communicate outside of the district.

Customers should not have as much power as you allow them. A customer today will complain just in the hopes of getting an employee into trouble and you are playing into that game. Serial returners know that employees can get into trouble for the returners behavior yet will do so anyway!

Step away from the desk and remember what it's like to be on the sales floor. Demoralizing your employees is a good way to have the company go under.

Ups and downs

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Hoffman Estates, IL (US)

Prospleasant working environment
    technological infrastructure has been improved since I started
    goodie boxes with merchandise for friends and family
    on site cafeteria with healthy choices
    on site exercise facility

Conspay is less that average
    middle management often overlooks females as potential experts
    first level support needs to increase troubleshooting skills, time management

Advice to Senior Managementall upper management needs to be certain that middle management is treating all departmental employees with respect
    middle management needs to make sure that all departments work on skill development

Fun and energetic!

Assistant Manager (Former Employee) Harrisburg, PA (US)

ProsGreat people to work with and a lot of great training is available for students that are working for the first time in retail

ConsVery overworked management
    very small staff, very hard to take time off

Advice to Senior ManagementHaving a bigger staff would not be very hurtful to employees, especially around the holidays.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Intensive

Sales Associate (Current Employee) The Woodlands, TX (US)

ProsGet 50% off everything in stores. Friendly people. Nice working environment (sometimes)

ConsTraining, ear piercing, organization of the store. Can be stressful at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave little competitions between sales associates during the week. This will help motivate everyone while working.

LOVED THIS JOB

Third Key (Former Employee) Bend, OR (US)

Prossmall team of co-workers so we were like a family, it was easy to sell the stuff cause is was inexpensive and fun stuff. Plenty of opportunity for advancement. the employee discount was the BEST.

Consthere was a bit of a disconnect between our store and the higher ups in the company, our district manager would sweep in and give us her "solutions" to our problems and just expect the numbers to magically change.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe make it easier to transfer? I would still be working for Claire's, but i moved to another state and the store here wouldn't even consider me cause they had a full staff, I wouldve liked the change to meet the team and be put on an on call staus maybe, to help out when needed, I loved the company.

Too much work not enough payroll

Store Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsDiscount
    You make your schedules
    Holiday pay
    Vacation and personal pay

ConsThe ridiculous amount of tasking
    No payroll
    Low pay
    No bonuses
    People quitting all the time
    Planograms
    Markdowns
    6 day work weeks during holidays

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement expects a lot but them theirselves can't task and customer service like they want us to also their not in touch with reality they don't care if you don't take lunches or work by yourself all day this company is one of the worst of worst

One you should avoid

Store Sales Manager (Former Employee) Hazleton, PA (US)

Prosyou get 50% off all the products

Consavoid it at all costs!

Advice to Senior Managementyou talk about personal growth well than you have to be able to be more than 20 years old to work there!!!!!

I have worked for this company for 3 years, have left one time but currently work here again.

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)

ProsFun environment, great people, customers are rarely rude, with hard work you move up pretty quickly, great benefits

ConsSales goals, PM visits, ADS is a big deal, hard to call out sick, work alone at times, a lot of tasks to complete at once.

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate the hard work your employees do and reward them. Some higher people (DM, RSM) tend to forget what it's like to work on the sales floor and expect much more than possible out of you. We're only human.

Not great, in fact, bad

Store Manager (Former Employee)

ProsGood discount, if you really want to buy cheap, easily broken,and within a month discolored and worthless costume jewelry

ConsIncredibly high turnover, low pay, minimal bonus potential, snobby upper management, often on single coverage, very young clientielle (i.e. women will leave their children in the store for babysitting) overall unreasonably high expectations from store management without support from upper management... and... piercing. My whole experience with this job was extraordinarily horrible. Unless you know in your heart that you don't deserve this job and that you could probably never do much, much better... never work for this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement shouldn't expect that a store should do a floor planogram move, a promotion change, and clearance markdowns all in the same week. (along with shipment arriving every single day and interviews and hiring and training all the time due to the extremely high turnover due to the very low pay"

Its an okay temporary job.

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Overland Park, KS (US)

ProsYou have nice coworkers and its easy to trade shifts. Its a very fast-paced environment, so the hours go by quickly

ConsA 30 minute lunch break after you have been there for 5 hours. High Turnover. Sales associates rarely stay longer than 4 hours. The teach you really sneaky tactics of "upselling". If someone is looking at something simple like nail polish, they teach you to walk up to them, grab three more, tell them how lovely the extra ones are and just dump them in the customer's bag. You upsell at the door, upsell on the floor, and always upsell at the register. If you don't do this and the store has a "Secret Shopper", you will get in trouble with the corporate office. Also, a sale's associate should not be piercing your daughter's ears. We are have very minimal training. Take them to a reputable piercing shop. A piecing gun is used to pierce ears (Which is not reccomended) and its just wiped down with a Clorox Wipe after each person. I was just an 18 year old piercing hundreds of people's ears.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow the stores to have more full-time associates. Their hour cutting tactics are very sneaky.

Worked for Claire's Stores? Contribute to the Community!