Claire's Stores Reviews

Updated 28 August 2014

2.6

Claire's Stores CEO James D. Fielding
James D. Fielding

Pros
  • Awesome employee discount- although it made spending money within the store easy (in 35 reviews)

• Will hire you as a keyholder as long as you have previous retail experience, 50% discount on everything (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • district manager doesn't care about individuals, just how we make her look (in 30 reviews)

• Too much tasking without the help of a staff because you are usually working alone (in 28 reviews)

More Highlights

I have been working at Claire's Stores

Pros

Great benefits ... can move up quick

Cons

Operation structure needs work, lots of tyrn over , training is an overload

Be prepared lots of turn over

Ok place to work

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time

Pros

They paid well, pd for over time hour.

Cons

push push push, there are only so many things you can add at the cash wrap

I loved to hate this job.

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Algonquin, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Algonquin, IL (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

benefits, healthcare was ppo BCBS which is great insurance and the price wasn't bad. I worked independently a lot which was both a pro and a con. Pay higher than average for our part time management (third keys) and theres often room for growth up to an assistant or store manager position.

Cons

Upper management (district, regional etc) was not very hands on, perhaps in the higher volume stores but I would go weeks without having a proper conversation with my dm, which changed several times during my employment.

District managers should train store managers directly. COmmunication needs improvement.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Crappy Company

Former Employee - Third Key Holder
    Former Employee - Third Key Holder

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It's a good place to start in retail, you meet great people, and its a fun environment.

Cons

Poor management. Too much pressure to push for sales when there's not enough business (depending on location) Crappy pay. Everything they train you on is rushed. You are often left alone to run the store so you have to act as a manager and take on all the responsibilities. Too many shoplifting incidents. Very disorganized management.

Take some time to train your employees without rushing. Increase the pay for everything the employees have to deal with.

A love hate relationship

I worked at Claire's Stores

Pros

Pay great benefits and holidays

Cons

Where do I start, too much tasking no matter how much you get done it's never enough. Horrible management treat you like crap and no matter how many Times you ask an upper level person to help they never do

Treat people to treat how you want to be treated

Great for Part-Time, Terrible for Full-Time

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Awesome Store Discount (50% off) and you're always first to know when great sales are about to come up. It's a great starting point for someone who just needs a part-time position to get through High School or College. A very tight knit environment, I was friends with majority of the girls on staff. You get to learn how to pierce ears and I personally had a lot of return customers. The merchandise was cute, and working around kids is extremely fun. The benefits for Full-time positions are decent, they use to be amazing but they've dropped down to a different Insurance program. However, that's about all that's good about it.

Cons

Where to start?
    After being promoted to an Assistant Manager, you WILL get a "Manager Carrot" dangled in front of your nose to keep leading you around until you're so tired of "Oh, you'll get a store" that you stop caring about it at all. You'll be subjected to constant ridicule by Corporate and your DM no matter how much you try to please them. Signs will change nearly daily and if you happen to miss one little sign (out of the 30 they decided to have you change 30 minutes before you open), and your DM comes by, you'll get an ear-full. There's never enough hours to go around, and God forbid you get sick because you will very likely be by yourself for your entire eight hour shift without a break. 3rd keys (Part-time) are often put into situations that require Manager decisions, and they're expected to make those decisions with little to no help. Don't expect to ever make much money unless you're a store Manager, I personally have had LESS than a dollar raise in 3 years. Your raises will be based off of the store as a whole, so even if your numbers are phenomenal you will get barely anything (My "biggest" raise was .32 even though my number surpassed Company's)
    Too much is expected from our part-time girls, they barely make over minimum wage and they're expected to base their lives around this company, having many on-call shifts that are mostly not real shifts but are required by Company to be there. There's practically no hours that are given to the store to execute Planograms and floor-sets. We're expected to do about two days worth of work in twelve hours or less after the store is closed, oh and don't go over 40 hours as a Manager or an Assistant or Corporate will have your butt for it! You will be treated like the enemy, so don't try to go out of your way to do the "right" thing or else it might just backfire.

Start listening to your Store Managers and allow them to run their stores based on what's best. Realize that these people that work in your stores are just that; people. We do need time to execute these plans that you send and you need to give stores more hours so that your employees can meet your expectations. Pre-plan your sign changes and give them to the stores when they are complete so that we're not running around changing signs every day because you've changed your mind again. Promote the employees that want to be promoted, don't dangle empty promises in front of them because it gets old very fast.

Poor place to work.

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great discount, which helps, considering the jewelry will start to turn brown/green after a few times wearing it.

Cons

There is no real training and the district manager wants to micro-manage and play favorites. There is no expectation of uniformity throughout the district. The goals and expectations are usually highly unobtainable and the amount of work expected from one individual is impossible.

Having district managers that are very self-involved and critical does not help grow sales and strong leaders.

This is my second job, but first retail job and it's fun and fast pace.

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Tysons Corner, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tysons Corner, VA (US)

I have been working at Claire's Stores part-time for less than a year

Pros

The employees are friendly and helpful to new workers. My manager is also pretty simple and easy to understand and get along with. Some customers are okay (only give you time to say hi), but a couple like your opinion and help finding items. Decent pay and easy closing routine for a minor at least. Fun work environment. If your a girl you can easily relate to some item in the store and enhance it to get it sold.

Cons

Long shifts are given to you regardless if you are a minor. My first shift was seven hours with no break. My second shift, my break was close to closing time. I become tired, weak and hungry after standing for 6 hours! Customers throw things everywhere, and it's your responsibility during "recovery". Aka clean every small thing in great detail or your leaving late or risking your employment. Also, long term wormers stay on you for "guesting", greeting every customer and informing them about promotions. But it's OK (manageable)

It's unfair to throw new workers in during a busy week. We won't get proper thorough, training, and this upsets customers and employees.

Store Manager

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

NONE this job sucks run for the hills

Cons

No lunch break no 15 minute break worst job RUN for the hills over worked and pay sucks

Come work in a store for one day

Not a flexible Company to Work with

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Houston, TX (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Easy work/task, little supervision, don't have to work off of comission

Cons

Working every single weekend fri & sat, no exceptions, little pay, little room for growth

Worked for Claire's Stores? Contribute to the Community!