Claire's Stores

Updated 11 September 2014
2.6

Claire's Stores CEO James D. Fielding
James D. Fielding

Pros
  • Awesome employee discount- although it made spending money within the store easy (in 35 reviews)

• Will hire you as a keyholder as long as you have previous retail experience, 50% discount on everything (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • district manager doesn't care about individuals, just how we make her look (in 30 reviews)

• Too much tasking without the help of a staff because you are usually working alone (in 28 reviews)

More Highlights

Fast-paced and Fun Retail Atmosphere

Former Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Tupelo, MS (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Tupelo, MS (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time for more than a year

Pros

All of my co-workers were like one big family, for inexperienced associates the pay was better than minimum wage, as long as we requested off enough in advance the time was granted, nice employee discount, good communication built between store associates and district manager

Cons

The store gets very busy at time while being the only one working, the inventory scheduling as well as some planograms went over-night for the asm and sm, a lot of shoplifting, piercing ears of kids who do not want their ears pierced is awful, the pos system frequently was frozen and we were ordering new hardware (printer, credit card machine, etc..) every other week, and as asm I would would some 8 hour shifts alone with no relief for a break

The scheduling could be approved all around. There were not enough hours given to schedule efficiently. I would find myself staying over-night working on plan-on-gram, mark-downs, and inventory. Sometimes to keep from going over on the clock, but in order to get things done the manager and I would stay on our own time off the clock so that we could get things done that we couldn't during the day due to customer traffic. We were also not given enough hours to schedule breaks for those working 8+ hour shifts. I would sometimes work a 12 hour shift without a break due to the few employees we had there since we were limited on hires.

Decent Company

Former Employee - Third Key  in  Conroe, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Third Key in Conroe, TX (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time for less than a year

Pros

Good first job
    Meeting different types of people
    Having co-workers around your age
    Decent hours

Cons

Not enough pay
    Closing by yourself
    No benefits

Listen to our helpful advice we may not know everything but we have a better idea of what the customer wants that you may have

Love & Hate Relationship

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time for more than a year

Pros

40 hour week, as a store manager you get paid overtime if you work over 40 hours, Fun environment, upper management paid well, company values, vacation time, sick time & personal time, most holidays off.

Cons

High volume=low payroll, 40 hr wk, because you get paid overtime if you work more than 40 hr, if you are busy with customers then you can't stay to work more to finish tasks, unless you are off the clock which is a no no.......

give your store more payroll, I know if had more time to schedule more overlapping coverage besides the weekends, then we wouldn't fall behind so easily.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fine for starting off in retail..

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Schaumburg, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Schaumburg, IL (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time for less than a year

Pros

50% Discount
    Management was easy to get a long with

Cons

Late Mall hours
    Part-time employees have their hours cut drastically during the slow season

Those who do their job well should be secured hours

I have been working at Claire's Stores

Pros

Great benefits ... can move up quick

Cons

Operation structure needs work, lots of tyrn over , training is an overload

Be prepared lots of turn over

Too much pressure, too little pay.

I worked at Claire's Stores

Pros

The job duties are relatively simple, flexible hours, and there is a great store discount. A decent job if you're putting yourself through college, but not for an actual career.

Cons

Though the tasks are easy to do, there are so many that it becomes hard to keep up, especially if the team is slacking, the pay isn't enough for how much pressure is put on you, you're almost always working alone, and upper management is horrible.

Claire's breaks down individual and store sales by time increments. Because of this, one can see how often an employee has or has not been working on a register. The tool allows for district and regional managers to see who is truly working. They really need to look closely at these numbers. I worked at two locations where the store managers stayed on the clock, but were out shopping for any where up to three hours. The paperwork showed that they had no sales for these time spans, and nothing ever came of it. Simply put, they need to pay close attention.

Crappy Company

Former Employee - Third Key Holder
    Former Employee - Third Key Holder

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It's a good place to start in retail, you meet great people, and its a fun environment.

Cons

Poor management. Too much pressure to push for sales when there's not enough business (depending on location) Crappy pay. Everything they train you on is rushed. You are often left alone to run the store so you have to act as a manager and take on all the responsibilities. Too many shoplifting incidents. Very disorganized management.

Take some time to train your employees without rushing. Increase the pay for everything the employees have to deal with.

A love hate relationship

I worked at Claire's Stores

Pros

Pay great benefits and holidays

Cons

Where do I start, too much tasking no matter how much you get done it's never enough. Horrible management treat you like crap and no matter how many Times you ask an upper level person to help they never do

Treat people to treat how you want to be treated

Ok place to work

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time

Pros

They paid well, pd for over time hour.

Cons

push push push, there are only so many things you can add at the cash wrap

I loved to hate this job.

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Algonquin, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Algonquin, IL (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

benefits, healthcare was ppo BCBS which is great insurance and the price wasn't bad. I worked independently a lot which was both a pro and a con. Pay higher than average for our part time management (third keys) and theres often room for growth up to an assistant or store manager position.

Cons

Upper management (district, regional etc) was not very hands on, perhaps in the higher volume stores but I would go weeks without having a proper conversation with my dm, which changed several times during my employment.

District managers should train store managers directly. COmmunication needs improvement.

Worked for Claire's Stores? Contribute to the Community!