Claire's Stores

Updated 24 January 2015
2.5

Claire's Stores CEO James D. Fielding
James D. Fielding

Pros
  • Awesome employee discount- although it made spending money within the store easy (in 46 reviews)

• Some people might like it here because of the 50% discount for employees in claires and in icing stores (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • district manager doesn't care about individuals, just how we make her look (in 36 reviews)

• Too much tasking without the help of a staff because you are usually working alone (in 33 reviews)

More Highlights

Was fantastic until managment changed.

Current Employee - Third Key Holder in Elyria, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Third Key Holder in Elyria, OH (US)

I have been working at Claire's Stores part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The discount is fantastic 50% off Claire's and Icing. Theme Weekends you get an additional 10% off. Any precious metals, CDs, magazines, and ear piercings with 14kt gold you only get 25% off. No store discount on top of sale prices but awesome clearance events ($2 clearance / $5 handbags) and some great normal promotions.

Cons

The company itself drags its feet on situations. Very small staff 5 people in a store at the least and that is 4 managers (Store Manager, Assistant Manager, and 2 Third Keys) and one sales associate. Asking for days off is kind of tricky, store manager gives days off to the person she is closest to even though you requested the day off two weeks in advance. Management does not work with other work schedules. District as a whole needs to be staffed better. Get calls from stores ALL the time for coverage at another store. When you work at another store you should get paid mileage but you aren't even offered. Unrealistic goals sometimes for sales and personal goals. Having a perfect ADS is all everyone is worried about.

Store Manager

Former Employee - Store Manager in Dearborn, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Dearborn, MI (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible scheduling while I was in college.

Cons

Compensation was on par with others, but promotions were tough to come by.

Awful company

I worked at Claire's Stores

Pros

50% discount...not much else to get out of working there.

Cons

Tiny space and too much shipment means the store or stockroom is always a mess. Extremely low pay...as a key holder I made 50 cents more than sales associates that made minimum wage & I did the same amount of work as the assistant managers. Your schedule will change at the last minute, the customers are often rude and high volume stores get wrecked on a nightly basis. All the stores in my area lived in fear of the district manager who expected more than was even possible from part time poorly paid workers. High turnover rate. I lasted 5 months

Treat employees better

This was the worst working experience I have ever had.

Former Employee - Third Key
    Former Employee - Third Key

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time (less than a year)

Pros

? The only one I can think of is that some of the girls who work there were nice.

Cons

-we went through at least 15 employees in the 6 months I worked there. More than one quit on their first day.
    -you take the blame for everything, even when it is beyond your control, it's your fault
    - incredibly poor training
    - management not listening to customer complaints
    - just an unpleasant atmosphere
    - dropping the deposit off at an unsafe location
    - not enough keys for key holders

Pay attention to who you hire for managers, assistant managers and third keys. Make sure training is done properly and find out why employees quit, because in this store it was all for the same reason.

Worst company & DM EVER overworked underpaid!

Former Employee - Store Manager in Geneva, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Geneva, IL (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Ear piercing, running own shift, making schedules, hiring, adding on, new merchandise, customers, making friends

Cons

No breaks, low pay, horrible district manager, horrible human resources, teenagers steal too much, racist company

Dont try and fire the manager to a number 1 store in the company because youre jealous that you couldnt bonus and I did! Do onto others as you wish to be done onto.

Opens up doors

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Claire's Stores

Pros

Creating your own schedules if you are a store manager and it has opened many doors for me especially because I am young. You can gain a lot of experience.

Cons

The strategic planning and business model of this company is terrible. I could go on and on about this. Working eight hours with no break, working by yourself with little payroll allocation. I understand that payroll is costly to the company but it would not only deter shoplifters but it would create accountability, specifically when closing. The amount of shrink lost if the payroll allocation was increased would be significantly lessened. I think the company is bringing in a lot of newness with some fresh faces but I don't think enough is being done to re-vamp the image of Claire's. Employees are growing tired. Very very unrealistic expectations for store managers, we aren't super heros but we try really hard to be for the company. Put out shipment, do scheduling, do POG, do markdowns, check all weekly paperwork, reach sales goals, respond to 20 emails, assist customers, do ear piercings all on the sales floor while you are the only one there. Plus, it's your responsibility to keep all employees in line which is difficult if everyone works mostly alone.

Please consult with store managers and employees who are the face of your business to get feedback. 5 training hours to train third key managers, that's it? That is certainly not enough time to train them properly to be key-turned. You cannot expect managers to recruit third keys when we are offering them less than what they can get paid at some fast food restaurants. And the LP department.......please call me back. I've been calling you for three months. Has your 24 hour hotline been out of commission for several years now? If LP is such a big issue, when LP calls are placed especially for potential employee theft, we need an immediate response.

ok

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Florence, KY (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Florence, KY (US)

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time (more than a year)

Pros

50% discount
    if you like piercings then piercings others is fun

Cons

work long hours alone
    company breaks state law and dosent give breaks to people who work 8 hours every day

Love the customers and the discount

Former Employee - Store Manager in Sierra Vista, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Sierra Vista, AZ (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Working with the customers is the greatest part of this job. Watching the little ones smile after they get their ears pierced or an adult so excited that they found the perfect item to go with their outfit. The discount is amazing.

Cons

Work-life balance is very lacking here. Upper management yells at the employees on the floor in front of customers and never praised you for what you did right just criticized you for what you didn't do. Never taking into consideration that there are not enough hours to bring in additional people with the work load you have. The POG was ridiculous! 4 hours and 3 people to complete an entire wall shift is not enough.

Get in the stores and work them do not assume that our employees are not doing anything. If the DM's wold be more involved then just coming to the store once every 6 months they might see the economic shifts that are causing decreases. And if you build your team up instead of tearing them down, dropping morale into the toilet, you might see better results as well. Lastly you should make sure that all policies and procedures are followed uniformly instead of just when you feel like it.

I was a third key.

I worked at Claire's Stores

Pros

Helping young girls with accessories for prom and homecoming is very satisfying.

Cons

Black Friday sucks!!!! And can get quite boring at times

Awful company, awful coworkers.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Claire's Stores

Pros

Employee Discount, trained to pierce ears.

Cons

The store I worked at is run by 24 year old girl who acted 10 and stamped her feet when things didn't go her way. I was an assistant manager and was treated like a sales associate most days. In the 4 months I worked there our store only made it in the positives ONCE. If we didn't make plan or beat LY it was because we didn't push hard enough. They wanted me to to place merchandise into people's baskets and force them to buy items they didn't want. The SM and DM cared more about your ADS and UPT than if you actually made the company money or not. My SM always had $25+ ADS and ALWAYS rubbed it in and made you feel incompetent. The rules for wearing jeans and always having at least 5 accessories on while working is retarded. I wasn't allowed to wear my Sketchers because they were "too much like an athletic shoe" so I was forced to wear the most uncomfortable shoes that were within the "dress to impress" guidlines. The last straw for me was when I called in and told them I wouldn't be in due to icy roads and bad weather, SM basically said "show up to work or lose your job." I was also the oldest one there and the only one with kids so I felt really out of place when I worked, this job is not for anyone over the age of 23. Was so happy when I walked out. I felt like 100 lbs had been lifted off my shoulders. Only job I ever worked where if you worked 8 hours you only got 1 break. The girls I worked with were very clique-ish.

Stop focusing so much on ADS and UPT.

Claire's Stores Photos