Claire's Stores

Updated 11 December 2014
2.4

Claire's Stores CEO James D. Fielding
James D. Fielding

Pros
  • Awesome employee discount- although it made spending money within the store easy (in 46 reviews)

• Some people might like it here because of the 50% discount for employees in claires and in icing stores (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • district manager doesn't care about individuals, just how we make her look (in 36 reviews)

• Too much tasking without the help of a staff because you are usually working alone (in 33 reviews)

More Highlights

Fun place to work but very low pay!

Former Employee - Third Key in Allentown, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Third Key in Allentown, PA (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time (more than an year)

Pros

50% employee discount, great co-workers, piercing ears was always fun

Cons

Typically work alone in the store, meaning it was hard to get in a bathroom break if store was busy.
    POG - horrible!!! I hated planograms, not enough time to complete especially in between ringing up customers & piercing ears
    Very low pay!

I loved my job

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Enfield, CT (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Enfield, CT (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun to pierce, easy to get promoted, easy to transfer within the system. You get a lot of hours because of the small staff, pays pretty poorly though - not meant to be a career, meant to be a job on the side.

Cons

Really pushy for up-selling, constantly getting the message that your store isn't doing well enough. There's a lot of work that though easy, becomes tedious because it takes so long since there's so much of it to do.

Take some of the blame sometimes - you always blame everything on the employees. You aren't perfect. Nobody is.

Great and knowledgeable team of people

I worked at Claire's Stores

Pros

People, leader in accessory business, giving at the local and global levels

Cons

Less open to new ideas and new processes

It was Sucky.

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Claire's Stores

Pros

50 % off employee discount was good. It's the most I have ever gotten before. And the dress code is fun.

Cons

I hated the management. The amount of sign changes are ridiculous. Way too many. Soo much tedious product. Just no.

Loved the job, but hated the pay

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Fairfax, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Fairfax, VA (US)

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice discounts
    nice room for promotion
    customers are fun

Cons

working with tons of tiny items
    unstable managers
    district managers were forceful at making leads travel to different stores, with no extra pay, or compensation on gas.
    managers dont work that much and leave it all to assistants
    managers can be gone for hours on end on breaks

depending on managers, they all were aways so different.
    Dont force employes to buy products and wear them if they do not like a specific product.
    I understand wearing something to inspire customers, but if its something i dont like wearing, like hats, its a waste of my money.

Managers need to be more like managers, train managers properly. Most of them are very lazy.

Upgrade the system ! Everything is pen and paper, and using calculator and a lot of hand written things. Never have I ever worked for a shop where everything is written down so much ! From daily goals, to schedules, ext ect.

A competitive pay rate would also be nice. I can not work in a high income state, and make min wage as a asst manager. you only seem to somewhat make money if you are a manager, if you are not then you are out of luck and need at least another job to survive. Bonuses are a joke at this company, and no benefits.

Good company to work for, a little behind the times, very money focused.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great discount. Generally co-workers are fun and easy going. Flexible schedule. If you have a good district manager and store manager, it's a ton of fun.

Cons

Company requires lots of tasking. Benefits are OK. Low starting rate, even for very experienced employees. They are very "customer" focused but in reality it's about making the money. With the large amount of tasking required it's difficult to balance the customer/ tasking ratio. Payroll allocation is not very good, even in the high volume stores. 1:1 coverage in most stores on weekdays and very few opportunities to get decent hours due to lack of payroll hours allowed. Very high turn-over rate. In high volume stores lots of stress and many people put in LOTS of time off of the clock. Strict visual merchandising with very little room to "make it work." Claire's has lots of very different store styles and sizes which don't always allow for the Planogram to look like it should. If you try and fix things to your stores particular style a lot of the time you are reprimanded, unless you have an awesome DM. Merchandise distribution is a bit off and there are often issues with stores over/under receiving merchandise. Not directly related to the company, the customers that generally shop at Claire's are rude and the teens/tweens totally destroy they store and show little to no respect to the employee. There are also no tipping for outstanding customer service with ear piercings.

Higher pay to make all the work worth it. Allow more store level flexibility in order to make the store look nice and run well. We aren't stupid and can figure out how to solve a visual problem.

I can't ever walk into a Claire's again

Former Employee - Store Manager in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great employee discount, opportunity for growth (in store only), fun merchandise, fast paced, never bored

Cons

Low payroll so mostly one on one coverage, no meal breaks and sometimes very hard to take a restroom break, conflicting direction from higher mgrs, staffing issues go overlooked for too long, high stress on Mgmnt team, high shrink, unprofessionalism on dm level including gossip and profanity

Dm's shouldn't be allowed to text you past 10pm. There is too much money being wasted on unused marketing which only clutters our marketing station and damages the signs we really need. Markdowns should be done every two months with more payroll allocation to ensure completeness, because being behind on a task every month only hurts the business and store morale. Give more pog hours or make a new pog with more reasonable moves.

A company that lacks professionalism as sever as this company is a company you DON'T want to be employed with.

Former Employee - Third Key in Boca Raton, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Third Key in Boca Raton, FL (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I've met wonderful people through this job, including other employees and customers. Being an ear piercer was fun (I was trained correctly, in a Claire's located in Orlando, FL). The employee discount of 50% is a nice perk, along with cute merchandise. The job doesn't require a lot of physical toll. That's literally all this company has to offer.

Cons

The DM, store managers, etc, DO NOT care about their employees. All these people are looking for is someone to be there and making sure the store is open and the cashiers are going. I've had to miss classes countless times to cover shifts that need to be covered. Oh, and that's another thing, they're always embarrassingly understaffed, this makes the employees who do work there become overworked and underpaid for the toll it takes. Schedules are always changing, managers promise promotions with no intention of giving it, the DM I had would get in your personal space that can be considered as sexual assault, DM insults employees on appearances, store manager leaves an hour and half before their shifts end store managers who don't clean, do shipment, or anything at all and, this store does NOT actually train their ear piercers!! They just throw the new employees into it! I was trained back in Orlando, FL and I came to find out that this store did no type of training remotely close to what I was trained. Basically, all this says is Claire's needs to recheck themselves as a company. They treat their employees unethically!

If your company had better managers and paid your employees better I'd guarantee you'd have happy employees and happy customers!! Even make better sales! How you treat your employees now shows when they work, maybe that's why your company is going down the hole this year!!!

Horrible

Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I like the kids. That's it.

Cons

You don't get paid for overtime. They have you work on the clock! For such a small store they require so much of you

Over-worked, under-paid, no work life balance

Former Employee - Store Manager in Birmingham, AL (US)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Birmingham, AL (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It's a job and you can gain retail experience if you don't already have any.

Cons

Compensation is about $10k less than what you'd make in another retail store. If you are looking for a work-life balance, this is not the place to look. I went to the hospital and was diagnosed with pneumonia and was still made to come to work with a 103 temp and a doctors excuse because the RSM was coming. The work environment is anything but pleasant. You are constantly reminded to avoid having shoplifters, but they don't give enough payroll to staff the locations.

Be realistic with your expectations and your pay. How is a top producing store manager only paid $35k? How are they supposed to run a store with low payroll numbers?

Claire's Stores Photos