Claire's Stores

Updated 26 September 2014
2.5

Claire's Stores CEO James D. Fielding
James D. Fielding

Pros
  • Awesome employee discount- although it made spending money within the store easy (in 38 reviews)

• Will hire you as a keyholder as long as you have previous retail experience, 50% discount on everything (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • district manager doesn't care about individuals, just how we make her look (in 34 reviews)

• Too much tasking without the help of a staff because you are usually working alone (in 30 reviews)

More Highlights

Third key

Former Employee - Third Key Holder
    Former Employee - Third Key Holder

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Meeting new people
    Enjoyed the team members
    Helping others
    Opportunity for promotions

Cons

In the store alone for long periods of time
    Low pay

Kicking you when your Down

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Discounts only, that is about it

Cons

Vacation and personal days are rarely able to use due to always expecting to be in the buisness. Having way to many jobs to complete, paperwork to do, keeping up with frieght, hopeing that todays workers will actually show up for there jobs, recruit on a DAILY basis not just weekly, Throwing new things at employees on a weekly basis's as well, update mall websites, host one ear piercing princess event a month, must host one celebrate party a month with not contributions from company. Set up secret shops on store everyweek, use your off time to wait and do night checks. Expect unreliable employees to actually fallow through with what there tought when they dont and your not there you have to do it, Have conversation with said employee when you actually see them next week since there is not enough payroll to have two people on at once. Why turnover takes so long to fill positions because others get sick of having to work days that they work at other jobs because there isn't enough hours to train so they just walk out and leave. When you hold people accountable the way the company wants they turn and walk out no two week notice. Leaving Managers to not have a personal life.

Allow management a set monday through sunday set schedual improving the management moral, allow third keys set scheduals to allow for much easier and quick fillment of positions that become vacant to part time management to equire other employement or schooling objectives to help compinsate the lack of hours recieved due to payroll cuts. Stop the negativity don't say one thing then turn and say another in a form of a paper. Cut out the extra junk, Some things just don't matter and are a waste of time that cause more of a headache and Anxiety. If the customer is top priority then don't make additional reaports mandatory, we understand there usage but when you add too many its overwhealming. Stop trying to change things to Stream line, When i first started with this company things were more predictable on changes which allowed for a quicker promo changes and stocking. Sometimes oldschool is the way to go, RM coming in and harping on managers for DORs not completely rolled out usually is due to things they can't handle all the other paperwork why add more to them untill they reach that level. A jobs should not cause mental and exhaustion to ones health. When employees start to have panik attacks at work because the transactions arent meeting goals and your can see a decline in mall traffic and are doing everything in you posistion possible with all the responsibilites given is a joke. Emails coming daily saying you pretty much suck daily doesn't help a stores moral specially at the start of the buisness day. NOT ENOUGH HOURS IN THE DAY TO REACH EVERY EMPLOYEE. Store managers consistantly giving up holidays un aware if stores will open. Lack of qualified applications coming through the door, Other stores recruitting your employees offering more money and more hours. Can't get other to come work for you as they would always be taking a pay cut. Take a walk through malls LOOK AT THE NOW HIRING SIGHNS THERE IS A REASON EVERYONE IS LEAVING RETAIL, YOUR BLAMING THE WRONG PEOPLE AND PUTTING MONEY INTO THINGS THAT WONT MAKE YOU MONEY. IF YOUR RM ARE SITTING THERE SAYING THAT WE ARE REPLACEABLE AFTER BRINGING THE MORAL DOWN TO BEGIN WITH MAKING OUR HOPES ONE DAY BECOMING A DM NO LONGER POSSIBLE AND EXPECTING RESULTS WE QUESTION WHY ARE WE GIVING UP OUR TIME FOR LESS PAY THEN OTHER STORES MANAGERS, MISSING IMPORTANT LIFE CHANGING FAMILY EVENTS, NOT BEING ABLE TO FURTHER OUR EDUCATION HAVING TO BE AT THE STORE AT ANY GIVEN SAID MOMENT. HOPE YOUR HOLIDAYS ARE NICE OURS ARE ALWAYS PUT ON HOLD. IF WE CANT FURTHER OUR CAREER WHY DO WE WANT TO CONTINUED TO BE TREATED LIKE CRAP IN A JOB WE CAN'T EVEN AFFORD TO BUY HOMES OR FEEL WE ARE ACTUALLY LIVING OUR LIFE. GIVE MANAGERS OFFICE HOURS TOO WITH ALL THE REPORTS AND BOOKS HAVING TO BE LOOKED OVER WE NEED A PLACE THAT IS UNDISTRACTING TO COMPLETELY ACKNOWLEGE THESE TO BE ABLE TO ANSWER ALL QUESTIONS AND FIX EMPLOYEE ERRORS..

Don't get your ears pierced here...

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Destin, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Destin, FL (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time for less than a year

Pros

none whatsoever. It's a horrible work environment.

Cons

Your insurance sucks. You pay by salary. Employees working alone with no assistance. I'm trying tofigure out how Claire's stays in business.

Don't give everyone 18+ a set of keys to the store. Raise your level of shrink. 30% loss of yearly profits shows that you know every tween/teen steals from you. ACTUALLY TRAIN YOUR PIERCERS!!! 2 videos and adult sized practice ears sure HELL doesn't properly train you for a 6 month old BABY. Figure out some other way to organize your backrooms. Tupperware bins ain't working people

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Claire's Wants You. . . To Work For Nothing! !

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The closeness of the staff is amazing. Your store and district become like a second family. At least mine is. We all look out for each other, give advice, and share ideas to better ourselves and our stores.

Cons

Claire's seriously pays their employees the bare minimum..all the other companies I have looked at pay their ASMs more than what I'm making, its ridiculous. Your job responsibilities outweigh your pay grade. They expect you to do miracles with no payroll and then flip when it's not done. Recently we changed health insurance companies and it's more expensive however our pays are not going to compensate the increase...so now I'm actually losing money to bust my butt. Corporate's realty on what goes on and what it's like to work in a store is seriously skewed.

This is mainly for RSMs and up: Before you decide how we should run our stores, actually work in one. You people have no idea what we actually have to deal with. If you want us to deliver the great wall of China, you better be willing to compensate us..for crying out loud your a multi-billion dollar company..pay us like you care about us like you say you do.

Underappreciated

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time

Pros

Paid time and a half for working over 40 hours a week, 5 personal days a year, 50% discount, currently improving training tools, etc.

Cons

They want to hire whoever will work for the least amount of money, poor communication, alone most shifts, sometimes no break, too high of expectations of employees, stopped contributing to 401ks, no work and personal life balance, poor training, would rather hire from outside than promote from within.

Show appreciation of employees, more hours for tasks to balance customer service, higher pay for key holders for better retention, focus on the growth of your employees.

It was a fun job with a great discount and fun environment, but management wasn't always the best.

Former Employee - Third Key  in  Knoxville, TN (US)
    Former Employee - Third Key in Knoxville, TN (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time for more than a year

Pros

50% Employee Discount, Fun Dress Up Days, Accountability, Dress Up Days, Specialty, Fashion Forward

Cons

Working Alone, Some Management was not educated, Too much drama, not promoting from within, store management not having a great work-life balance

Keep the drama at home! Learn how to hire the correct people for the positions. Also, learn to promote from WITHIN! AND DON'T PROMOTE JUST FRIENDS FOR DM POSITIONS! A lot of the store managers that deserve promotions, you just keep them hanging around, telling them they're fit for DM positions/training positions and then filling it with other people......not ok!

It was great at some points and terrible at others

Former Employee - Third Key Holder  in  Saint Louis, MO (US)
    Former Employee - Third Key Holder in Saint Louis, MO (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time for more than a year

Pros

-50% discount
    -Manager (my 3rd one, anyway)
    -Piercing ears
    -Parties

Cons

-Horrible upper management
    -Bad sales practice
    -Very inconsistent hours
    -Poor employee treatment from staff
    -Drama

-Take time to empathize with each store. Give your DM (district manager) less stores so that they can focus better on them.

it was fun in the beginning until you start to see how the business is run

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  King of Prussia, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in King of Prussia, PA (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time for more than a year

Pros

people are friendly, employee discount is awesome, benefits/401k are good. being in the store alone its kind of like running your own store

Cons

wages, black out periods, piercing kids/babies ears. training was a 50/50 they teach you and of course you learn on your own

Pretty good

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time for less than a year

Pros

The people there are usually pretty chill and friendly

Cons

The long hours, rude customers, crying children.

Change the way ear piercings are set up. There should not be a minimum ADS to do ear piercings because that is what boosts up one's ADS

Overall it's ok, just corporate can be a pain.

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Westbrook, CT (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Westbrook, CT (US)

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time for more than a year

Pros

Dress code is nice, the product is fun, co-workers are generally pleasant.

Cons

Corporate sets goals, which is understandable, but some of them are out of my control and you'll get reprimanded for it.

Worked for Claire's Stores? Contribute to the Community!