Claire's Stores

Updated 18 September 2014
2.6

Claire's Stores CEO James D. Fielding
James D. Fielding

Pros
  • Awesome employee discount- although it made spending money within the store easy (in 35 reviews)

• Will hire you as a keyholder as long as you have previous retail experience, 50% discount on everything (in 27 reviews)

Cons
  • district manager doesn't care about individuals, just how we make her look (in 30 reviews)

• Too much tasking without the help of a staff because you are usually working alone (in 28 reviews)

More Highlights

Don't work here!!

Current Employee - Third Key Holder  in  Calgary, AB (Canada)
    Current Employee - Third Key Holder in Calgary, AB (Canada)

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time for less than a year

Pros

you get a pretty good discount of 50 percent off everything including clearance except when 10 for 10 is on and most of the time if you need a day off for an appointment or something theyll give it off

Cons

management is a joke. i worked there for 6 months and we went through 3 store managers, 2 assistant managers and several sales people/ third keys left too. i ended up having to work50-60 hours a week and then they finally hired a couple people and my hours were put down to like 15. the DM for calgary is really rude and demanding and she will change her mind about floor plans like 10 times and then get mad at you when you havent finished it because she keeps making you restart halfway through. she also tends to only hire store managers that she knows outside of work and she gossips with them and will go for smoke breaks constantly but then yell at you when you go to get a drink quickly. breaks are quite often a joke as well. you get a half hour if you work 5 hours or more which is fine except that the way they schedule you often have to go like an hour before the end of your shift if youre opening or like as soon as you get there basically if youre closing and half the time you dont even get it and no one seems to care. schedules are also supposed to be posted 2 weeks in advance but often arent even made until the day before. you are expected to get through at least like 3 to 5 huge boxes of earrings and things in just a few hours which is impossible with customers and ear piercings constantly walking into the store. birthday parties are a joke the one that i did the girl was like 12 and was way too old for it and was just miserable the whole time. and they barely give you any training on doing ear piercings. you just watch a dvd do a couple on a foam ear and then they let go right ahead on customers. dont ever get pierced at or work for claires.

the whole upper management needs to be replaced. you need people that care about thier employees and understand that we arent capable of doing 15 peoples work between like 3 people.

Pretty good

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores part-time for less than a year

Pros

The people there are usually pretty chill and friendly

Cons

The long hours, rude customers, crying children.

Change the way ear piercings are set up. There should not be a minimum ADS to do ear piercings because that is what boosts up one's ADS

Claire's Wants You. . . To Work For Nothing! !

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The closeness of the staff is amazing. Your store and district become like a second family. At least mine is. We all look out for each other, give advice, and share ideas to better ourselves and our stores.

Cons

Claire's seriously pays their employees the bare minimum..all the other companies I have looked at pay their ASMs more than what I'm making, its ridiculous. Your job responsibilities outweigh your pay grade. They expect you to do miracles with no payroll and then flip when it's not done. Recently we changed health insurance companies and it's more expensive however our pays are not going to compensate the increase...so now I'm actually losing money to bust my butt. Corporate's realty on what goes on and what it's like to work in a store is seriously skewed.

This is mainly for RSMs and up: Before you decide how we should run our stores, actually work in one. You people have no idea what we actually have to deal with. If you want us to deliver the great wall of China, you better be willing to compensate us..for crying out loud your a multi-billion dollar company..pay us like you care about us like you say you do.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

You're a replaceable cog in the machine.

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

- Most customers are pleasant, but it is a retail environment where respect is still a foreign term. Promotion happens from within whenever possible.
    - Ear piercing can be very rewarding because customers are happy 99.9% of the time with the results.
    - Employee discount is good, but keep in mind, that is part of your pay you are giving back to your employer.
    - Bonuses can be good, but it is all based on increasing profit.

Cons

- Working alone for 8 hours (or more) a day without breaks. It is against company policy to sit down, even when customers are not present in the store. This is the main reason for the 1 Star Culture & Values.
    - Ear piercing usually takes at least 5-10 minutes (can be much longer with scared/fussy children,) and it was at times very difficult to keep all customers happy while alone and trying to juggle ringing waiting customers and finishing an ear piercing.
    - Based on the current economy, competition rising in clothing stores, and your location, you may be looking at some quite impossible goals.
    - There is no longer a window cleaning service for either indoor and outdoor stores, and employees are now expected to do this during sales hours.

Take a long, hard look at your treatment of your employees. If they are happy and healthy, they can better sell your products, and they will respect you much more. No one should ever have to go without a regular break on a full shift. No one should ever be considered expendable, even the teens and college students who aren't in it for the long term. By exposing your treatment of your retail staff to them, they could end up being the future corporate employees you never knew you turned away.

Your competitors have expanded to clothing and big box stores. My superior never took my words to heart when I said this, but when your Q4 Fiscal 2013 report becomes public, officials are spouting exactly what I was saying. Get better market researchers and buyers, expand your horizons. It is not the 1990s anymore.

Underappreciated

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time

Pros

Paid time and a half for working over 40 hours a week, 5 personal days a year, 50% discount, currently improving training tools, etc.

Cons

They want to hire whoever will work for the least amount of money, poor communication, alone most shifts, sometimes no break, too high of expectations of employees, stopped contributing to 401ks, no work and personal life balance, poor training, would rather hire from outside than promote from within.

Show appreciation of employees, more hours for tasks to balance customer service, higher pay for key holders for better retention, focus on the growth of your employees.

it was fun in the beginning until you start to see how the business is run

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  King of Prussia, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in King of Prussia, PA (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time for more than a year

Pros

people are friendly, employee discount is awesome, benefits/401k are good. being in the store alone its kind of like running your own store

Cons

wages, black out periods, piercing kids/babies ears. training was a 50/50 they teach you and of course you learn on your own

Overall it's ok, just corporate can be a pain.

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Westbrook, CT (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Westbrook, CT (US)

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time for more than a year

Pros

Dress code is nice, the product is fun, co-workers are generally pleasant.

Cons

Corporate sets goals, which is understandable, but some of them are out of my control and you'll get reprimanded for it.

Good company to grow with

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Tallahassee, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Tallahassee, FL (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I loved working for the company. It has great products and is all over the world, so not impossible to move to another location and continue working. It is slowly catching up technology wise with the rest of big businesses, which is great. Bonus opportunities, lots of company contests and perks for excellent performance. I've learned a lot with this company that has made me successful at other jobs as well.

Cons

Depending on who your manager is, it may be hard to continue growing with the company beyond store level. Limited hours in the store means you work alone often. Work load can be heavy too, especially when working alone. Ear piercing like crazy too, some customers are just not fun having to do this with all the time.

Help those who want to advance move into positions to do so, or else they just get bored and want to leave after being used and ignored in a store level position.

RUN AWAY- RETAIL NIGHTMARE HERE

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Newark, DE (US)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Newark, DE (US)

I worked at Claire's Stores full-time for less than a year

Pros

It is a job, I guess....That is really about all anyone can say for it. Benefits are offered but good look affording them.

Cons

Too many silly time consuming tasks, no breaks- even to pee, staff is provided and all just children, company ceo quit so headquarters is a joke, company is in bad shape financially

Get out while you still can

Amazing

Current Employee - Store Sales Manager  in  Great Falls, MT (US)
    Current Employee - Store Sales Manager in Great Falls, MT (US)

I have been working at Claire's Stores full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Love to work with people, make great friends, it's hard work and challenging, something new everyday!

Cons

The black out(non vacation times) periods are many, pay is not the best, hard to understand the business due to micro-managing.

understand the business as much as possible and accept the fact that you will have no control over much of the business.

Worked for Claire's Stores? Contribute to the Community!