Columbia University

Columbia University Reviews in New York City, NY US

Updated Jul 16, 2014

Columbia University President and Trustee Lee C. Bollinger

Lee C. Bollinger

Pros
  • Dynamic work environment, access to campus libraries, great work-life balance(in 27 reviews)

• access to the best academic professionals in New York City(in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • salaries are generally really low for New York City standards(in 12 reviews)

• The salary could be considerably better, especially considering the cost of living in New York City(in 10 reviews)

344 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Working at Columbia University Medical Center, I had a positive experience enjoyed working with doctors and patients.

Administrative Coordinator (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsI was able to grow. I was able to move up and enjoyed a living wage.

ConsThere's always a new assignment. Everyday brought on new and never knew what was next.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink about the effects of changing things around before actually doing them.

Great experience

Data Analyst (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsIt was a great experience. Friendly people and willing to help. Learned a lot during my time there and am a fan of the w

ConsIt was a great experience. Friendly people and willing to help. Learned a lot during my time there and am a fan of the w

Advice to Senior ManagementIt was a great experience. Friendly people and willing to help. Learned a lot during my time there and am a fan of the w

Nice place to work, collaborative

Biological Sciences Graduate Student Fellow (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsHealth care included, no set hours. Tuition is also payed for so the value of this job is actually greater than $100 per year.

ConsNo dental coverage, no payment schedule provided. Salary payments are irregular and unpredictable although they still add up to the correct yearly salary.

Advice to Senior ManagementNotify students of payment schedule for the full term of their given fellowship.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Teaching Assistant

Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsIt is just a regular part-time job for students, , but is really good experience for you to meet with faculty, which is quite useful for future connection building. If you want to continue in academia in the future, it is also great, or even required, experience.

ConsBasically I don't have any cons on this position.

Work is good, salary is not.

Postdoctoral Research Scientist (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsInfrastructure is awesome, really good science.

ConsPostdoc salary is ridiculous. Very frustrating.

lab technician

Laboratory Technician (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

Prosflexible working environment and lab culture

Consa lot of bureaucracy in administration

Great library system. Loved working there.

Intern (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsColumbia is at the forefront of library science, and is a great place to work.

ConsIt's very large, and can be overwhelming at times.

I had a decent experience working at Columbia

Dodge Front Desk Assistant (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsColumbia is a very prestigious institution. I got to meet a lot of interesting people. The manager is very good with giving employees very flexible hours.

ConsThe pay is low compared to other jobs that you can do at Columbia. There is little personal growth with the job. Most people who do this job do it for the money. Students can be difficult to work with at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to personally invest in employees more.

Competitive research

Associate Research Scientist (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsHigh level of research, scientific community open for collaborations.

ConsLow compensation and low chance for promotion.

A dream job in many ways - but not perfect.

Professor (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsColumbia is a top ranked university. It is highly regarded throughout the world and an employment here carries great prestige. There is a great intellectual environment here with many smart people and opportunities.

ConsManu administrative structures seem to be outdated, making daily operations somewhat more burdensome than they should be for an institution of this caliber. Salaries both for administrative staff and faculty are relatively low, compared to other top tier institutions.

Worked for Columbia University? Contribute to the Community!