Compass Group
www.compass-group.com Chertsey, United Kingdom 5000+ Employees

Compass Group Reviews

Updated Apr 07, 2014
Compass Group – UK – “EY Top Chefs”

Compass Group Chairman Sir Roy A. Gardner

Sir Roy A. Gardner

Pros:
  • "Large company with good benefits"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Best work environment and professionally qualified staff in my team makes me very comfortable to work with"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "very low pay for lower scale jobs"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Working long hours, always lack of staff, no decent salaries, no loyalty events for staff, no moral or career motivations"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Marred by a few bad apples

Human Resources & Migration Advisor (Current Employee)
Sydney

I have been working at Compass Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- Some good people
- Great focus on development opportunities

Cons- Very antiquated towards social networks
- No personal music allowed in an open office environment? (How did I keep my sanity?!)
- Too many objectives
- Unwillingness to change some processes due to ties to UK
- Corporate staff hardly get acknowledged (as opposed to front-line staff)

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease relax some rules, or better yet, get rid of rules that make no sense. Blocking Facebook? Advising against using personal MP3 players

St Kilda, a dire place where people go to kill their career.

Worker (Current Employee)
Saint Kilda, South Australia

I have been working at Compass Group full-time for more than 5 years

ProsTo be honest, the only plus side of working for the Compass Group on St Kilda, is that it is based in a World Heritage Site.

Cons- Took me 3 years to receive PPE.
- Managers steal from the client, customers and own staff. When reported, you are told to wind your neck in. I hope the managers continue to steal from the company, as I sure as hell won't report it.
- Work an illegal shift pattern of 29 days in a row.
- Poverty line wages.
- No respect either from the company or from the client.
- Ridiculous expectations. Cleaners are expected to clean a very large building in part time hours and get nothing but a hard time for doing so, despite often going out of their way and doing more than their contracted hours for no additional pay.
- Management is useless. Kilda managers have absolutely no clue. One can't use a computer (and his work is computer based) and the other is constantly asleep.
- Daily allowances have been complained about for many years and we still have not received any response from the contract manager.
- Fruit and veg received is of very poor quality. There is no quality control on Benbecula before this stock is shipped out.
- Client is a bully, and ESS will not stand up for staff against constant bully-boy tactics, instead using their own against staff in order to stay favourable with the client.
- Contract manager hired own wife in an important role and hires his children to work all the overtime hours. None of these hours or jobs have ever been advertised.
- Think they have full control over your life, even outside of work. One staff member threatened with suspension if they did not attend a disciplinary hearing outside of my working hours (on something they were cleared of).
- There is zero health and safety training. Staff work with helicopters and maritime radios with zero training.
- There are no opportunities for career advancement unless you're a yes man. Unfortunately, these yes men are the clueless people with no ideas for how to strategically enhance the business and opportunities.
- Staff are poorly utilised. People who can't use a computer and have no personal skills are in management, those with some level of intellect are instantly bored by the non-challenging pathetic work they are asked to do without any respect.

Everyone is looking for another job. We like to refer to ourselves as third world employees who have done no wrong in life but can't get a break.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your staff with respect. Try and actually find out what is actually going on at some of your contracts.

I would give them not even a single star if I could....

I have been working at Compass Group part-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe site I worked at was a fantastic location!

ConsCompass is nothing but bullys training bullys! I complained after enduring months of bullying from my manager and upper managment did nothing about it! Instead they took me into an office and used intimidation tactics to try and make me back down....unlucky for them I refuse to back down

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to hold on to your good staff then stop treating them so badly. Respect goes both ways! Right now I don't know how you people sleep at night. I would never sell my morals or humanity for a company car and a pay raise.

Excellent Company, Excellent People...

Chef (Current Employee)
Perth, Western Australia

I have been working at Compass Group full-time for more than a year

ProsA company that takes care of their employees and sees their rights to the rank and file.

ConsNone that comes to Mind...

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work...

intimidation at agco site compass abbey park stoneleigh

Catering Assistant (Former Employee)
Kenilworth, England (UK)

I worked at Compass Group full-time for more than a year

Proswhat is there a policy of intimidating been allow to go on at compass agco site abbey park warwickshire cv8 2tq and no higher management is prepared to deal with it ,can you verify that it is ok to intimidate fellow staff member

Consgreat company to work for if you are not subject to intimidation or hounding by other members of staff

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior management are not interested in bully tactics by other members of staff,as it seems to be a pecking order of friends and is quickly swept under the carpet

you gotta be in the "group"

Executive Chef (Current Employee)

I have been working at Compass Group full-time for more than 10 years

Pros401k is company assisted a bit

Consupper mgmt. stress really quick, unit mgmt. have to use vacation for any sick time

Advice to Senior Managementchill

OK, but short work year due to school schedule, and student enrollment

Lead Cook (Former Employee)
Rutherford, NJ (US)

I worked at Compass Group full-time for more than a year

ProsCooking the meals for the students, and staff was very rewarding, change from the company before to this one was understandable for business. Tried to please the students, and staff with what they felt they wanted to eat.

ConsAfter the change we lost a couple of key employees, but due to enrollment issues some of the educational staff was let go.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the faith it will work out.

had an excellent manager in treasury

Treasury Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Compass Group full-time for less than a year

Prosonly worked here as a temp so I do not know how it is as a full time employee

Conshard to get in as a full time employee

Advice to Senior Managementpay higher wages to temp associates

Overall good

Clinical Nutrition Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Compass Group full-time

Pros- ability to transfer within the company after working in position for 18 months
- multiple sectors within the company which allows for a wide range of job choices

Cons- average pay
- items on evaluations not released till mid year

marketing intern

Marketing Intern (Current Employee)

I have been working at Compass Group as an intern for less than a year

Prosgood work environment and always trying to help team member

Consthere were no bad things in the Compass Group

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Worked for Compass Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Compass Group reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Compass Group CEO Sir Roy A. Gardner. All 81 reviews are posted anonymously by Compass Group employees.