Compass Group

www.compass-group.com

Compass Group Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014
Compass Group – UK – “EY Top Chefs”

Compass Group – UK – “EY Top Chefs”

Compass Group CEO Richard Cousins

Richard Cousins

Pros
  • Large company with good benefits (in 5 reviews)

• Best work environment and professionally qualified staff in my team makes me very comfortable to work with (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Also, low pay because of being in food service industry (in 5 reviews)

• Not enough full-time jobs in NYC or Long Island (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Marred by a few bad apples

Human Resources & Migration Advisor (Current Employee) Sydney

Pros- Some good people
    - Great focus on development opportunities

Cons- Very antiquated towards social networks
    - No personal music allowed in an open office environment? (How did I keep my sanity?!)
    - Too many objectives
    - Unwillingness to change some processes due to ties to UK
    - Corporate staff hardly get acknowledged (as opposed to front-line staff)

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease relax some rules, or better yet, get rid of rules that make no sense. Blocking Facebook? Advising against using personal MP3 players

Sweatshop work

Utility (Current Employee) Geraldton

ProsImpossible to get fired.
    Slackers get rewarded
    The bigger bully you are the more you'll succeed and move up in the chain of command.
    One way to get into FIFO work

ConsNot paid properly
    All lower to senior managers treat you like cannon fodder
    All managers prefer to backstab you instead of acting professional and treating your claim or problem
    Intentions are to please client only at the cost of staff
    Extreme high turn over which says alot.

Managers will always pick your clients side no matter what the argument or the story is the client will win hands down.

Managers will always get special treatment (free beer, food, frequent flyer points etc)

Managers get all the credit, managers work less hours than workers.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeeds a change in the entire system

St Kilda, a dire place where people go to kill their career.

Worker (Current Employee) Saint Kilda, South Australia

ProsTo be honest, the only plus side of working for the Compass Group on St Kilda, is that it is based in a World Heritage Site.

Cons- Took me 3 years to receive PPE.
    - Managers steal from the client, customers and own staff. When reported, you are told to wind your neck in. I hope the managers continue to steal from the company, as I sure as hell won't report it.
    - Work an illegal shift pattern of 29 days in a row.
    - Poverty line wages.
    - No respect either from the company or from the client.
    - Ridiculous expectations. Cleaners are expected to clean a very large building in part time hours and get nothing but a hard time for doing so, despite often going out of their way and doing more than their contracted hours for no additional pay.
    - Management is useless. Kilda managers have absolutely no clue. One can't use a computer (and his work is computer based) and the other is constantly asleep.
    - Daily allowances have been complained about for many years and we still have not received any response from the contract manager.
    - Fruit and veg received is of very poor quality. There is no quality control on Benbecula before this stock is shipped out.
    - Client is a bully, and ESS will not stand up for staff against constant bully-boy tactics, instead using their own against staff in order to stay favourable with the client.
    - Contract manager hired own wife in an important role and hires his children to work all the overtime hours. None of these hours or jobs have ever been advertised.
    - Think they have full control over your life, even outside of work. One staff member threatened with suspension if they did not attend a disciplinary hearing outside of my working hours (on something they were cleared of).
    - There is zero health and safety training. Staff work with helicopters and maritime radios with zero training.
    - There are no opportunities for career advancement unless you're a yes man. Unfortunately, these yes men are the clueless people with no ideas for how to strategically enhance the business and opportunities.
    - Staff are poorly utilised. People who can't use a computer and have no personal skills are in management, those with some level of intellect are instantly bored by the non-challenging pathetic work they are asked to do without any respect.

Everyone is looking for another job. We like to refer to ourselves as third world employees who have done no wrong in life but can't get a break.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat your staff with respect. Try and actually find out what is actually going on at some of your contracts.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

I would give them not even a single star if I could....

ProsThe site I worked at was a fantastic location!

ConsCompass is nothing but bullys training bullys! I complained after enduring months of bullying from my manager and upper managment did nothing about it! Instead they took me into an office and used intimidation tactics to try and make me back down....unlucky for them I refuse to back down

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to hold on to your good staff then stop treating them so badly. Respect goes both ways! Right now I don't know how you people sleep at night. I would never sell my morals or humanity for a company car and a pay raise.

Excellent Company, Excellent People...

Chef (Current Employee) Perth, Western Australia

ProsA company that takes care of their employees and sees their rights to the rank and file.

ConsNone that comes to Mind...

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work...

Challenging but rewarding

Pros25 days PTO and higher than avaerage salaries

ConsHours of operation intrude on quality of my life

Advice to Senior ManagementCompany growth has slowed down since the beginning creating less opportunity for growth in my area

Food prep

Food Service Assistant (Former Employee) Little Rock, AR (US)

ProsIt's a good place to work, a Monday-Friday job, never late nights. Not much room to grow.

ConsA lot of turn overs in this company.

Poor managment

Cleaner (Current Employee) Haverfordwest, Wales (UK)

ProsGood supervisor. Fun crew to work with all 3 of them

ConsLow pay, no pay rise now since 2010, wanting too much to be done in the time limit given normal clean is two hours but yet if done right would take 2 hours 30 mins. Not enough hours so run on skeleton crew so if some one is sick or on holiday no one to cover them since been there they have cut 100 hours a month just for pure profit for who could I guess

Advice to Senior ManagementUp the hours, if you say your coming down come down, put uniform on different budget instead of cleaning budget ( part of icm compass group) produce ids for the staff.

Fast-paced, great advancement!

Regional Training Specialist (Current Employee) Charlotte, NC (US)

ProsAbility to move up in ranks if you are a go-getter. Company benefits are great.

ConsWork-life balance when in stressful project management crunches.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet on the show called Undercover Boss. The middle-management staff are the ones who work the hardest.

Stabile, engaging, and fun.

Food Server (Former Employee)

ProsOpportunity to learn new skills for employee development.

ConsNot enough full-time jobs in NYC or Long Island.

Worked for Compass Group? Contribute to the Community!