Compass Group

Updated 17 December 2014
3.1

Compass Group CEO Richard Cousins
Richard Cousins

Pros
  • Large company with good benefits (in 5 reviews)

• Great people that are passionate (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Also, low pay because of being in food service industry (in 5 reviews)

• Not enough full-time jobs in NYC or Long Island (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent Company, Excellent People...

Current Employee - Chef in Perth, Western Australia
    Current Employee - Chef in Perth, Western Australia

I have been working at Compass Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A company that takes care of their employees and sees their rights to the rank and file.

Cons

None that comes to Mind...

Keep up the good work...

Under Payed & 2 faced boss

Current Employee - Cook/Catering Assistant in Ballarat
    Current Employee - Cook/Catering Assistant in Ballarat

I have been working at Compass Group part-time (less than an year)

Pros

As a chef it is great to not work 70-75 a week & have a life.Very easy work

Cons

Manager that lied about my pay rate.Never pays me for the hours I do when i'm the only 1 that does the major cleaning

a very 1 sided manager that payes the woman for hours they arn't there yet wont pay a cent for hours I stay back to clean the filth from others that never clean properly..Filled in for a canteen manager for 6 weeks were I did all ordering,cooking,cleaning & menu ideas & was not payed for that rol,witch I will be chacing up back pay for..As a global company I think I think being scamed out of a few hundred dollars is discusting,aspecialy when u am beinh paid $4 an hour less than I signed a contranct for

Sweatshop work

Current Employee - Utility in Geraldton
    Current Employee - Utility in Geraldton

I have been working at Compass Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Impossible to get fired.
    Slackers get rewarded
    The bigger bully you are the more you'll succeed and move up in the chain of command.
    One way to get into FIFO work

Cons

Not paid properly
    All lower to senior managers treat you like cannon fodder
    All managers prefer to backstab you instead of acting professional and treating your claim or problem
    Intentions are to please client only at the cost of staff
    Extreme high turn over which says alot.

Managers will always pick your clients side no matter what the argument or the story is the client will win hands down.

Managers will always get special treatment (free beer, food, frequent flyer points etc)

Managers get all the credit, managers work less hours than workers.

Needs a change in the entire system

St Kilda, a dire place where people go to kill their career.

Current Employee - Worker in Saint Kilda, South Australia
    Current Employee - Worker in Saint Kilda, South Australia

I have been working at Compass Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

To be honest, the only plus side of working for the Compass Group on St Kilda, is that it is based in a World Heritage Site.

Cons

- Took me 3 years to receive PPE.
    - Managers steal from the client, customers and own staff. When reported, you are told to wind your neck in. I hope the managers continue to steal from the company, as I sure as hell won't report it.
    - Work an illegal shift pattern of 29 days in a row.
    - Poverty line wages.
    - No respect either from the company or from the client.
    - Ridiculous expectations. Cleaners are expected to clean a very large building in part time hours and get nothing but a hard time for doing so, despite often going out of their way and doing more than their contracted hours for no additional pay.
    - Management is useless. Kilda managers have absolutely no clue. One can't use a computer (and his work is computer based) and the other is constantly asleep.
    - Daily allowances have been complained about for many years and we still have not received any response from the contract manager.
    - Fruit and veg received is of very poor quality. There is no quality control on Benbecula before this stock is shipped out.
    - Client is a bully, and ESS will not stand up for staff against constant bully-boy tactics, instead using their own against staff in order to stay favourable with the client.
    - Contract manager hired own wife in an important role and hires his children to work all the overtime hours. None of these hours or jobs have ever been advertised.
    - Think they have full control over your life, even outside of work. One staff member threatened with suspension if they did not attend a disciplinary hearing outside of my working hours (on something they were cleared of).
    - There is zero health and safety training. Staff work with helicopters and maritime radios with zero training.
    - There are no opportunities for career advancement unless you're a yes man. Unfortunately, these yes men are the clueless people with no ideas for how to strategically enhance the business and opportunities.
    - Staff are poorly utilised. People who can't use a computer and have no personal skills are in management, those with some level of intellect are instantly bored by the non-challenging pathetic work they are asked to do without any respect.

Everyone is looking for another job. We like to refer to ourselves as third world employees who have done no wrong in life but can't get a break.

Treat your staff with respect. Try and actually find out what is actually going on at some of your contracts.

I would give them not even a single star if I could....

I have been working at Compass Group part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The site I worked at was a fantastic location!

Cons

Compass is nothing but bullys training bullys! I complained after enduring months of bullying from my manager and upper managment did nothing about it! Instead they took me into an office and used intimidation tactics to try and make me back down....unlucky for them I refuse to back down

If you want to hold on to your good staff then stop treating them so badly. Respect goes both ways! Right now I don't know how you people sleep at night. I would never sell my morals or humanity for a company car and a pay raise.

Marred by a few bad apples

Current Employee - Human Resources & Migration Advisor in Sydney
    Current Employee - Human Resources & Migration Advisor in Sydney

I have been working at Compass Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Some good people
    - Great focus on development opportunities

Cons

- Very antiquated towards social networks
    - No personal music allowed in an open office environment? (How did I keep my sanity?!)
    - Too many objectives
    - Unwillingness to change some processes due to ties to UK
    - Corporate staff hardly get acknowledged (as opposed to front-line staff)

Please relax some rules, or better yet, get rid of rules that make no sense. Blocking Facebook? Advising against using personal MP3 players

Everyone working together as one team to ensure client satisfaction at it's best.

I have been working at Compass Group as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Great Teamwork everyone works together to accomplish goals. Large global community willing to share their knowledge base to support best practices and build better working relationships. All levels of corporate structure are there to help every employee succeed, from CEO to hourly employees.

Cons

Very fast paced working enviorment. Being a global community there are alot of requirements which tends to extend regular business hours.

High Pressure

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Compass Group

Pros

Pay structure, employee benefits and perks.

Cons

Lack of work-life-balance. Unrealistic expectations for sales quotas.

Operations management

Former Employee - Management in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Management in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Compass Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good company to work for due to its great environment, reasonable benefits, and their team was very well diversified.

Cons

Their training programs and incentives could be improved.

Do not get stock in the same position too long

Straightforward

Former Employee - Retail Cashier in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Former Employee - Retail Cashier in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I worked at Compass Group part-time

Pros

Easy work, greater than minimum wage pay. Friendly atmosphere to be a part of. Can say yes or no to hours that are available to work.

Cons

Limited chance of progressing upwards in the company if you are only on a casual contract. Some locations for working can be awkward to get to if you do not have youre own transport.

Compass Group Photos