Con Edison
www.conedison.com New York, NY 5000+ Employees

Con Edison Reviews

Updated Mar 30, 2014
Con Edison – US – “office”

Con Edison Chairman and CEO; Chairman and CEO, Consolidated Edison of New York Kevin Burke

Kevin Burke

Very Long-lived NYC Firm

I have been working at Con Edison

ProsIt's an extremely stable company

ConsYou have to deal with the Hierarchy

Overall, Great.

Summer Intern (Current Employee)
New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Con Edison part-time for less than a year

ProsCon Edison is a great company in my eyes. They have both union workers, and management employees who all work together towards a common goal- providing the customer with steady/reliable service.

ConsFor the intern program, I feel that the interns could have been given more responsibilty. A lot was busy data / organizing work.

Great place to work! Good salary, solid hours, and nice people.

Full-time Engineer Trainee (Former Employee)
New York, NY (US)

I worked at Con Edison as an intern for more than a year

ProsI really felt I was using my technical skills as an engineer for the public good, for good pay, good pay and good job security. You get a wide exposure to many tasks. Great training program, which allows you to move your career where you want to go. Depending on your supervisor, they really work with you in terms of hours (early bird hours, one day off a week), and depending on your position, you can make a LOT of overtime at 1.5 pay, which is nice in an expensive city like NYC. Many people make a life-time commitment to the company.

ConsI felt the work was not challenging enough sometimes, and was often repetitive. It's a very vertical company, where your position on the totem matters a lot (too much sometimes). It's very old school and things are often "done that way, because they have always been done that way," so you encounter a lot of resistance to change, which as a young professional was frustrating. If you're an international student working there on a student visa, they do not sponsor you.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's unfortunate that after more than a year working for ConEd, loving the company and doing great work (as stated in one of the most amazing reference letters I have ever received from a former supervisor), there was no mechanism to sponsor an international student who had lived in the United States since I was seven, and it was sad that I felt strung along to the end, when I should have been encouraged to start looking for another company who would have sponsored me. I mention this not because I am currently in a bad situation, I'm doing great, found a great job, but I would not wish this situation on someone else. I suggest you be clear about this from the onset.

Secure job with ample opportunity for growth

Project Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Con Edison full-time for more than 8 years

ProsEmployment at Con Edison is very stable.

ConsThere are minimal raises and bonuses annually compared to other private sector jobs.

Probably the best place to work in New York

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
New York, NY (US)

I worked at Con Edison full-time for more than a year

ProsStable industry, decent compensation and benefits, nice people to work with...

ConsBureaucratic and inefficient system in general...

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company needs more young and talented engineers

Good place to learn about the utility industry

Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at Con Edison

ProsCon Edison was a place where an intern has many opportunities to learn about the different aspects of an utility company. The managers are often relaxed and are eager to teach you and give you opportunities to experience things about ConEd that are perhaps not in your immediate job description.

ConsIt is a very large company so the management structure is very corporate. It is easy to feel disconnected with the overall goals of the company simply because there are so many people between any employee and the senior management.

learning about legal aspects of safety and reliability of the company

Office Assistant (Former Employee)

I worked at Con Edison

Prosmake a lot of great connections with other employees and learn from senior employees about the company and how things work

Consno room for advancement seems to be a lot of favoritism and bullying going on daily by coworkers and they ignore complaints by employees regarding bullying by coworkers on daily basis.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeadership is only working for certain favorite employees regardless too much political games.

Good, stable job, but bureaucracy runs rampant.

I have been working at Con Edison

ProsGood salary, decent benefits. There is room for growth, so long as you put in the required amount of effort.

ConsBureaucratic nightmare. Sometimes your efforts to effect positive change in the organization are undermined by sheer volume of rules, regulations and processes that have been put into place.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis Company would be much better served if upper management allowed employees latitude to make decisions, act upon them, and then evaluate the results.

OK

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Con Edison

ProsLocation in new york city

ConsCommute in new york city

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more money

Great place to work at.

Engineering Supervisor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Con Edison

ProsThis is a steady, secure job with a great salary and great benefits. If you want to advance and do a good job, you can. If you want to spend the rest of your job in the same position, you can do that too.

ConsWe have too few vacation days, many poor/underperforming employees cannot be easily removed from their posts. Lot of favoritism and nepotism impacting hiring and promotion decisions.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more feedback and lay off unproductive and underqualified employees. It is too dificult to fire someone, even a poor performer.

Worked for Con Edison? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Con Edison reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Con Edison CEO Kevin Burke. All 28 reviews are posted anonymously by Con Edison employees.