Con Edison

www.conedison.com

Con Edison Reviews

Updated Apr 23, 2014
Con Edison – US – “office”

Con Edison Chairman and CEO; Chairman and CEO, Consolidated Edison of New York Kevin Burke

Kevin Burke

Nepotism and Cronyism Rampant

Programmer (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsDecent place to learn about new technology.

ConsVery few new employees stay with the company for any extended period of time. Managers and supervisors have made rank by who they know not what they know. Basically, most management/supervisory staff have been with the company for many years and are very territorial and concerned only with nurturing the careers of staff members within their inner circle. If you are within their inner circle expect GREAT performance reviews and pay raises year in and year out regardless of their true on the job performance. And expect mediocre (at best) performance reviews and pay raises if you are not within their inner circle. This culture/mindset was cited internally by the company which to it's credit recognizes the rampant nepotism and cronyism that abounds...Unfortunately, despite the company's best efforts to promote fairness and opportunity to advance for all in the workplace, managers and supervisors find ways to portray staff not within their inner circle as being under performing slackers, which leads to mistrust and staff concerned only with self preservation. Inhibiting new ideas and thinking outside the box. It's unhealthy for staff subjected to this and it's unhealthy for a company desperately seeking to extracate itself from the grasp of rampant nepotism and cronyism.

Advice to Senior ManagementOnly through retirement of long term employees will the company begin to realize a work force that genuinely cares about the company, promotes free thinking and provides fairness and opportunity for all staff members.

Customer operations supervisor

Operations Supervisor (Former Employee)

ProsGood salary if you negotiate well coming into the company along with overtime pay.

ConsMany of the management employees were promoted from the union. Intimidated by outside hires coming into management. Not a corporate structure, they have young inexperienced newly promoted management employees running the call center. They want you you to dummy down your experience to fit in. Not open to fresh new ideas from the outside. Horrible place to work !!! Not the old con Edison !!! No real pension for new management/ cash balance. Mean employees that are unsupportive unless you were union. Your on lock down with mandatory overtime for major outages. Other parts of the company may be good. - stay away from the call center environment!

Advice to Senior ManagementUtilize the experience and talent of outside management employees. Don't be afraid to let them shine!

Very Long-lived NYC Firm

ProsIt's an extremely stable company

ConsYou have to deal with the Hierarchy

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overall, Great.

Summer Intern (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsCon Edison is a great company in my eyes. They have both union workers, and management employees who all work together towards a common goal- providing the customer with steady/reliable service.

ConsFor the intern program, I feel that the interns could have been given more responsibilty. A lot was busy data / organizing work.

Secure job with ample opportunity for growth

Project Manager (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsEmployment at Con Edison is very stable.

ConsThere are minimal raises and bonuses annually compared to other private sector jobs.

Great place to work! Good salary, solid hours, and nice people.

Full-time Engineer Trainee (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsI really felt I was using my technical skills as an engineer for the public good, for good pay, good pay and good job security. You get a wide exposure to many tasks. Great training program, which allows you to move your career where you want to go. Depending on your supervisor, they really work with you in terms of hours (early bird hours, one day off a week), and depending on your position, you can make a LOT of overtime at 1.5 pay, which is nice in an expensive city like NYC. Many people make a life-time commitment to the company.

ConsI felt the work was not challenging enough sometimes, and was often repetitive. It's a very vertical company, where your position on the totem matters a lot (too much sometimes). It's very old school and things are often "done that way, because they have always been done that way," so you encounter a lot of resistance to change, which as a young professional was frustrating. If you're an international student working there on a student visa, they do not sponsor you.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's unfortunate that after more than a year working for ConEd, loving the company and doing great work (as stated in one of the most amazing reference letters I have ever received from a former supervisor), there was no mechanism to sponsor an international student who had lived in the United States since I was seven, and it was sad that I felt strung along to the end, when I should have been encouraged to start looking for another company who would have sponsored me. I mention this not because I am currently in a bad situation, I'm doing great, found a great job, but I would not wish this situation on someone else. I suggest you be clear about this from the onset.

Probably the best place to work in New York

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsStable industry, decent compensation and benefits, nice people to work with...

ConsBureaucratic and inefficient system in general...

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company needs more young and talented engineers

Good place to learn about the utility industry

Intern (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsCon Edison was a place where an intern has many opportunities to learn about the different aspects of an utility company. The managers are often relaxed and are eager to teach you and give you opportunities to experience things about ConEd that are perhaps not in your immediate job description.

ConsIt is a very large company so the management structure is very corporate. It is easy to feel disconnected with the overall goals of the company simply because there are so many people between any employee and the senior management.

learning about legal aspects of safety and reliability of the company

Office Assistant (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

Prosmake a lot of great connections with other employees and learn from senior employees about the company and how things work

Consno room for advancement seems to be a lot of favoritism and bullying going on daily by coworkers and they ignore complaints by employees regarding bullying by coworkers on daily basis.

Advice to Senior ManagementLeadership is only working for certain favorite employees regardless too much political games.

Good, stable job, but bureaucracy runs rampant.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsGood salary, decent benefits. There is room for growth, so long as you put in the required amount of effort.

ConsBureaucratic nightmare. Sometimes your efforts to effect positive change in the organization are undermined by sheer volume of rules, regulations and processes that have been put into place.

Advice to Senior ManagementThis Company would be much better served if upper management allowed employees latitude to make decisions, act upon them, and then evaluate the results.

Worked for Con Edison? Contribute to the Community!