Con Edison Reviews

Updated 2 September 2014
Updated 2 September 2014
3.5

Con Edison Chairman and CEO; Chairman and CEO, Consolidated Edison of New York Kevin Burke
Kevin Burke

Working as a contractor, maintaining database, testing and debugging reliability evaluation/optimization software.

Current Employee - Contractor in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Contractor in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Con Edison as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Establish good relationships with many professional and senior engineers. The work environment is nice and comfortable.

Cons

The innovation is not so much required. Young people seeking exiting work experience maybe feel somehow unsatisfied.

Operator Mechanic A

Current Employee - Operator Mechanic A in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Operator Mechanic A in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Con Edison full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Location. Parking. Compensation. Benefits. A lot of opportunity to learn other positions.

Cons

None that I know of.

Too new to offer advice.

Nepotism and Cronyism Rampant

Former Employee - Programmer in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Programmer in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Con Edison full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Decent place to learn about new technology.

Cons

Very few new employees stay with the company for any extended period of time. Managers and supervisors have made rank by who they know not what they know. Basically, most management/supervisory staff have been with the company for many years and are very territorial and concerned only with nurturing the careers of staff members within their inner circle. If you are within their inner circle expect GREAT performance reviews and pay raises year in and year out regardless of their true on the job performance. And expect mediocre (at best) performance reviews and pay raises if you are not within their inner circle. This culture/mindset was cited internally by the company which to it's credit recognizes the rampant nepotism and cronyism that abounds...Unfortunately, despite the company's best efforts to promote fairness and opportunity to advance for all in the workplace, managers and supervisors find ways to portray staff not within their inner circle as being under performing slackers, which leads to mistrust and staff concerned only with self preservation. Inhibiting new ideas and thinking outside the box. It's unhealthy for staff subjected to this and it's unhealthy for a company desperately seeking to extracate itself from the grasp of rampant nepotism and cronyism.

Only through retirement of long term employees will the company begin to realize a work force that genuinely cares about the company, promotes free thinking and provides fairness and opportunity for all staff members.

Customer operations supervisor

Former Employee - Operations Supervisor
    Former Employee - Operations Supervisor

I worked at Con Edison full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good salary if you negotiate well coming into the company along with overtime pay.

Cons

Many of the management employees were promoted from the union. Intimidated by outside hires coming into management. Not a corporate structure, they have young inexperienced newly promoted management employees running the call center. They want you you to dummy down your experience to fit in. Not open to fresh new ideas from the outside. Horrible place to work !!! Not the old con Edison !!! No real pension for new management/ cash balance. Mean employees that are unsupportive unless you were union. Your on lock down with mandatory overtime for major outages. Other parts of the company may be good. - stay away from the call center environment!

Utilize the experience and talent of outside management employees. Don't be afraid to let them shine!

Very Long-lived NYC Firm

I have been working at Con Edison

Pros

It's an extremely stable company

Cons

You have to deal with the Hierarchy

Overall, Great.

Current Employee - Summer Intern in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Summer Intern in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Con Edison part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Con Edison is a great company in my eyes. They have both union workers, and management employees who all work together towards a common goal- providing the customer with steady/reliable service.

Cons

For the intern program, I feel that the interns could have been given more responsibilty. A lot was busy data / organizing work.

Great place to work! Good salary, solid hours, and nice people.

Former Employee - Full-time Engineer Trainee in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Full-time Engineer Trainee in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Con Edison as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

I really felt I was using my technical skills as an engineer for the public good, for good pay, good pay and good job security. You get a wide exposure to many tasks. Great training program, which allows you to move your career where you want to go. Depending on your supervisor, they really work with you in terms of hours (early bird hours, one day off a week), and depending on your position, you can make a LOT of overtime at 1.5 pay, which is nice in an expensive city like NYC. Many people make a life-time commitment to the company.

Cons

I felt the work was not challenging enough sometimes, and was often repetitive. It's a very vertical company, where your position on the totem matters a lot (too much sometimes). It's very old school and things are often "done that way, because they have always been done that way," so you encounter a lot of resistance to change, which as a young professional was frustrating. If you're an international student working there on a student visa, they do not sponsor you.

It's unfortunate that after more than a year working for ConEd, loving the company and doing great work (as stated in one of the most amazing reference letters I have ever received from a former supervisor), there was no mechanism to sponsor an international student who had lived in the United States since I was seven, and it was sad that I felt strung along to the end, when I should have been encouraged to start looking for another company who would have sponsored me. I mention this not because I am currently in a bad situation, I'm doing great, found a great job, but I would not wish this situation on someone else. I suggest you be clear about this from the onset.

Secure job with ample opportunity for growth

Current Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Project Manager in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Con Edison full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Employment at Con Edison is very stable.

Cons

There are minimal raises and bonuses annually compared to other private sector jobs.

Probably the best place to work in New York

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Con Edison full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Stable industry, decent compensation and benefits, nice people to work with...

Cons

Bureaucratic and inefficient system in general...

The company needs more young and talented engineers

Good place to learn about the utility industry

Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Con Edison

Pros

Con Edison was a place where an intern has many opportunities to learn about the different aspects of an utility company. The managers are often relaxed and are eager to teach you and give you opportunities to experience things about ConEd that are perhaps not in your immediate job description.

Cons

It is a very large company so the management structure is very corporate. It is easy to feel disconnected with the overall goals of the company simply because there are so many people between any employee and the senior management.

Con Edison Photos