ConAgra Foods Reviews

Updated 31 October 2014
Updated 31 October 2014

ConAgra Foods President, CEO, and Director Gary M. Rodkin
Gary M. Rodkin

Pros
  • Work life balance can be good depending on your manager (in 31 reviews)

• Excellent pay and benefits, and the company values are outstanding (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • No work life balance because of cutting positions to the bone (in 8 reviews)

• Upper Management need to create co-authorship with employee (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Good at first the downhill fast

I have been working at ConAgra Foods

Pros

Pay, benifits, people, lack of supervision, and insurance

Cons

Beurocrasy, crappy managment,lack of accountability

Listen to your employees

ConAgra Foods is a great place to grow intellectually and professionally. Manage your career and you will have many opportunities at this company.

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Omaha, NE (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Omaha, NE (US)

I have been working at ConAgra Foods full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Compensation, benefits, work-life balance, opportunities for growth.

Cons

Many layers of management and complex business structure makes decisions feel prolonged and inefficient.

Be more forthcoming with the inevitable changes in senior leadership.

Practice in Patience

Current Employee - Supply Chain in Omaha, NE (US)
    Current Employee - Supply Chain in Omaha, NE (US)

I have been working at ConAgra Foods full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good work-life balance depending on management/position. Many talented people walking the halls of corporate headquarters. Many chances to integrate with higher levels of the organization. Company is pushing hard with their "Teach and Trust" motto which is great for learning in most cases. Good employee resources available.

Cons

Tough to climb the ladder at times - Top heavy organization. "Sugar-coating" occurs at various levels over and over again. Unbalanced resource allotment across functions - very heavily staffed in some places while over-working employees in others. Dealing with an "Art" vs. "Science" crossroads where too much authority rests within marketing personnel hands.

Let bad news go to the top where decisions can be made to remedy. Don't overlook local talent - top business schools does not equal top talent. Even out the allocation of resources, (eliminate multiple managers for same individuals) and the whole organization will benefit from improved outlooks.

ConAgra's evolution......

Current Employee - Director Finance in Omaha, NE (US)
    Current Employee - Director Finance in Omaha, NE (US)

I have been working at ConAgra Foods full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Never a dull moment as the Company changes and evolves. Plenty of opportunities to have an impact and show your worth. The culture today is hghly collaborative and imaginitive and continues to evolve as it integrates new acquisitions. Benefits are well rounded and the Company continues to fight to keep costs low for employees. My team is fantastic with highly engaged, trusting, collaborative and imaginative team that empowers all levels to maximize results and impact on the Company.

Cons

Talent management philosophies and execution are maturing, but range across the company - so are dynamic and progressive and some functions are antiquated. Recent restructuring has shrunk the corporate workforce which has resulted in negative press which is understandable but not an accurate picture.

Accelerate growth in talent management and accelerate efforts in simplification and execution.

Good internship program

Current Employee - IT Intern in Omaha, NE (US)
    Current Employee - IT Intern in Omaha, NE (US)

I have been working at ConAgra Foods as an intern (more than an year)

Pros

Great pay
    rotational style program allows for learning in many different areas of IT
    exposure to IT management

Cons

lack of work for interns at times, even when continuously seeking work.

Meh

Current Employee - Team Leader Productiom in Boardman, OR (US)
    Current Employee - Team Leader Productiom in Boardman, OR (US)

I have been working at ConAgra Foods full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pay is okay. Work can be rewarding.

Cons

Shift work/ schedule is horrible.

Quality job, co-workers and management in general but stress can be high and job security somewhat low.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI (US)

I worked at ConAgra Foods full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunities for learning new skills and personal growth. Pay is fair for the industry and benefits are good. I have had good relations with all levels of employees with almost no issues. Promotions are offered or given to those who have earned them. There is rarely an issue with how or when one takes vacation time. I get the impression that management at all levels cares about me.

Cons

Many employees are at a disadvantage for advancement or raises if they are not working out of the Omaha headquarters. I think this is because the corporate movers and shakers in Omaha will not know you and your contributions very well. Constant major changes in business procedures, computer software, and turnover in upper management can be very stressful. Depending upon your job, meetings and trainings can often take up to 50% of your work day making it necessary to put in longer hours to finish important actual bottom line work contributions.

Consider reducing the almost constant juggling of positions/responsibilities of your middle and upper management. I think this creates many "jack of all trades" with few masters. I also feel this is unfair to their quality of life. IDP and PMP expectations are very stressful and can take up much valuable work time. Consider eliminating them. After all, you will know if fiscal goals are being reached on time and people who want to "improve" themselves are free to do so. For the rest of us, what is wrong with simply doing a great job?

Excellent Team Dynamic

Current Employee - Financial Specialist III in Mississauga, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Financial Specialist III in Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I have been working at ConAgra Foods as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Very engaging work environment with opportunities to explore other aspects of the business. Constantly interacting with the different locations through WebEx.

Cons

Can be difficult working with other international components of the business.

My experience at ConAgra Foods was excellent at my plant.

Former Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Grand Rapids, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Human Resources Generalist in Grand Rapids, MI (US)

I worked at ConAgra Foods full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Continuous Improvement and engagement of manufacturing personnel were a strong emphasis that I believed in. Quarterly review of my goals and career in 1 on 1's was essential and a program I stood by wholeheartedly. Continued investment in leaders, leaders in training, and development of employees got better during my 3+ years. Value of supporting Ending Child Hunger was evident, real, and a focus.

Cons

The company is focused on what it should be: earnings and growth. However, much is left on the table about investing in the plants, and then acquiring other companies to achieve hyper growth expectations laid out by the board and execs. When the overlap of capacity occurs, the investment in the plants can result in high performing plants closing, instead of closing lower performing plants, and move that production into a more effective plant further on it its engagement and cont' improvement.

All in all a good place to work

Former Employee - Machine Operator in Quincy, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Machine Operator in Quincy, MI (US)

I worked at ConAgra Foods full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The pay was very good

Cons

Its pretty cold in some areas, but not too bad if you bundle up

Listen to your employees a little more