Costco Wholesale

Updated Jul 23, 2014

3.8 1,154 reviews

Costco Wholesale President & CEO Craig Jelinek

Craig Jelinek

Pros
  • You are able to grow within the company the pay and benefits are wonderful(in 106 reviews)

• There are great benefits available for part-time and full-time employees(in 164 reviews)

Cons
  • Offered me full time then fired me right before I was to receive benefits(in 57 reviews)

• Takes a few seasonal periods to get hired permanently and then it is only part time(in 46 reviews)

1,154 Employee Reviews

Great Company but Bad Management

Night Stocker (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsThe pay is far above average for retail and my coworkers are great. The benefits, from part-time to full-time, are great as well.

ConsThe company has recently changed the hours worked required to achieve raises; this ensures it takes longer for new employees to reach the 'cap'. At my particular warehouse, it isn't uncommon for departments to be under-staffed, requiring them to take employees from different departments to fill in the gap, regardless if that department can get its own duties done afterwards.

excellent pay for the level of thinking required

Front End Cashier (Current Employee) Waterbury, CT (US)

Prosa strong sense of community, great coworkers, good pay, great benefits

Consinconsistent instruction, unclear advancement path outside of your own department

Advice to Senior Managementconsider more coaching of employees, not just that something the employee did was wrong or right, but WHY it was wrong or right.

Depends on the managers

Administration (Current Employee)

ProsGreat pay, benefits are pretty good. Co workers are wonderful. If you are one of the "chosen ones" you can really learn a lot.

ConsFavoritism and nepotism run rampant. If you are not one of the favorites, your chances of succeeding dwindle pretty quickly. Open positions are usually filled before the posting even goes up. The most qualified individual doesn't always get the job especially in management.

Advice to Senior ManagementSarcasm and humiliation are not ways to get workers to do a better job. Some managers are allowed to bully their way through the day and even though it is common knowledge, heads turn the other way. Retaliation is prevalent but difficult to prove. The two on one approach when an employee is in trouble is intimidating and demeaning. The employee should have their liaison present as well.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company to work for

Assistant Buyer (Current Employee) Issaquah, WA (US)

ProsJob Security
    Great Benefits
    Really understand the merchandising business and Costco mentality
    Low turn over rate

ConsImpossible to get fired -- which is great, but that also means a lot of people stop pulling their weight.
    Slow to move up, because no one leaves
    Strict schedules
    Only a 3% pay increase cap in merchandising for salaried employees

Advice to Senior ManagementMerchandising needs more staff. Executive management projects huge growth, but with the exact same number of staff.

You get what you put in!

Operations Supervisor (Current Employee)

ProsGreat people, lots of challenges, opportunity & second chances

ConsSlow to grow in some areas, corporate ladder can be difficult (but what company isn't?)

Advice to Senior ManagementThanks for everything you do!

les than a year

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Issaquah, WA (US)

Prosgood values, great people, loyalty to employees

Conslack of leadership, lack of direction lack of accountability

Advice to Senior Managementtraining, leadership, direction, career path

Good pay for hard work.

Tire Installer (Current Employee) Huntsville, AL (US)

Pros-Compensation
    -Perks/Benefits package
    -Equality and Opportunity offered
    -Respect from upper management
    -Instant overtime 1.5x pay on Sundays
    -Paid on holiday and not having to work

ConsLike any job, you will encounter some people that you may not get along with 100 %, but that goes without saying.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing. Make sure to stay focused on keeping your co-workers happy and we will stay as productive as we always are.

Overall, my experience at Costco has been fairly good.

Cashier (Current Employee) Salt Lake City, UT (US)

ProsThe pay and the benefits are absolutely amazing. They both make it difficult to ever want to find another job.

ConsCostco seems to have changed from focusing on the employees and the members, to just focusing on the numbers and whatever it takes get it done, even if people aren't being taken care of.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe employees and the members are the ones that make this business possible. Turn your focus back to them and your company will expand farther and continue to grow exponentially. Without them and their support and commitment to you, Costco will begin to fade.

Great benefits for employees

Service Clerk (Former Employee) Selma, TX (US)

ProsBenefits are great and bonuses help with families. Free membership

ConsLack of movement in the advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide more opportunities

Better than I thought, but needs improvment

Cashier (Current Employee) Orem, UT (US)

ProsGreat employees, heath insurance, 401k and other misc benefits are great! i paid $120 a month for health, vision, dental, 401k, for my entire family. This is a secure corporation. As long as your not wildly inappropriate you will never get fired. Members constantly brag about how they love your employer.

ConsTraining is really bad. It's such a busy place that you are thrown into any department with little or no training. Communication is very poor. They profess to have an open door policy, which they do, but communication with middle management is sparse and needed. Really hard to move up. Seniority is king. They say skills and performance reign supreme, but tenure is weighed heavily into that decision.

Advice to Senior Managementhave more than one performance review a year. Pay attention to those who are excelling, and use them as trainers/team leads/supervisors.

Worked for Costco Wholesale? Contribute to the Community!