Costco Wholesale Reviews

3.9
1,253 Reviews

Costco Wholesale President & CEO Craig Jelinek
Craig Jelinek

Pros
  • You are able to grow within the company the pay and benefits are wonderful (in 114 reviews)

• Great benefits, takes care of their employees when persona; issues arise (in 185 reviews)

Cons
  • Offered me full time then fired me right before I was to receive benefits (in 62 reviews)

• If you are part time, the amount of hours you get can vary a lot from week to week (in 51 reviews)

More Highlights

Lack of compassion from mgmt.

I have been working at Costco Wholesale for more than 8 years

Pros

Reasonably good pay I guess

Cons

I was injured at work whilst trying to help a member. Hurt my back and was in so much pain I couldnt walk properly. I was sent home on public transport despite telling them that I was in pain. One of the supervisors even made an unreasonable comment about getting me re-train on how to lift things when really I was doing it the right way! Didnt hurt to ask me, did it. Pain didnt go away and my doctor asked me to rest up for 2 weeks and when I rang my manager, I was told I need to go back to work, that they will give me light duties even though my doctor said I should be on medical leave. They basically insisted I should go so as to aviod LTI. I spent 3 hours commuting to work and with my back injury its going to be tough.

Imagine if you were the one who was injured at work. How would you like to be treated

Current Employee - Assistant Manager  in  North Sydney
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in North Sydney

I have been working at Costco Wholesale

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

Very old fashioned company to work for

Take feedback from your employees about what's working well and what's not

Probably the best in retail

Current Employee - Front End (Cashier Assistant)  in  Henderson, NV (US)
    Current Employee - Front End (Cashier Assistant) in Henderson, NV (US)

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great benefits, pay. If you want to have a career and work for it, Costco can provide it for you. If you do not want to go to College, you can start and be well on your way/making 50k plus a year by the time most graduate college. Good environment, takes great care of employees. Lots of opportunities to transfer and a continuously growing and successful company.

Cons

-Lots of managers, not enough leaders
    -Some managers are out of touch with members and employees
    -Seniority glass ceiling: people are promoted based mostly, but not all, on seniority and not by skill or merit. Not very efficient.
    -(My particular warehouse) constantly concerned with cutting hours yet almost always understaffed
    -Not a great place for someone with higher education. You're pretty much placed with everyone else no matter your prior experience or education, because you're expected to gain seniority.
    -Terrible training program. The best company I've worked for but by far the worst training program, practically non existent. Managers and supervisors have conflicting priorities and it just hurts the employee/member.

There has got to be a better training programs for each position. Corporate needs to establish a consistent, prioritized program that is ORGANIZED to make sure all employees (including sups/managers) are on the same page. There needs to be more synergy, It will make everyone's lives better and make individual warehouses far more effecient.

Provide your supervisors and managers with formal, annual leadership training.

Promote on experience/merit and potential first and then seniority.

Create a program for new hires with college educations (and/or previous experience in management positions) to help them fast track: learn more about how the warehouse works, gain experience in multiple area areas quickly and them move up more quickly (if the shoe fits I'm not implying that just because someone has a bachelor's they automatically deserve to start out as a supervisor or manager). Roughly 3-5 years to barely break into salary because of the seniority glass ceiling is ridiculous. Especially when these people could work for competitors in these positions off the bat. There are people, like myself, who are educated and with prior experience who want to work for this company because we truly love it and believe it's the best. People who can utilize their education and experience to help better this company to grow and be more successful and efficient. These people are the future of your company help them help you. Invest in them and seek them out. If we feel like we are just going to fall to the wayside with every one else we'll take our talents elsewhere because we can achieve more elsewhere in the time it would take to barely move up in Costco.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

This is an amazing company to work for and I would recommend it to anyone.

Current Employee - Membership Clerk  in  Orland Park, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Membership Clerk in Orland Park, IL (US)

I have been working at Costco Wholesale full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There are definitely great hours and fantastic benefits even at the part time level. They are good at promoting from within so it is not difficult to move up the ladder. There are so many jobs at the warehouse and they are decently lenient at letting you try new things.

Cons

Because the pay is so good, people tend to stay in their positions so sometimes getting promoted can be difficult. Also, since having a degree is not required to move up in the company, some staff are not actually qualified to do their own positions and don't always perform it as well as they could be.

Don't forget where you came from. You didn't start off as a manager, so make sure you treat the hourlies well. They are the cogs in the machine.

awesome company to work for

I have been working at Costco Wholesale

Pros

everything is great at costco

Cons

you work long hours every day

Good company to work for

Current Employee - Department Manager
    Current Employee - Department Manager

I have been working at Costco Wholesale full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Compensation and benefits are well above industry averages. Very stable company with stable sustainable growth. Strong leadership at the top.

Cons

Workers are given raises and bonuses based on tenure and not accomplishments or work performance. Some employees work very hard while others just skate by.

The Rothman program needs to be reevaluated, When it comes to advancement many qualified individuals are often overlooked and qualifications because another candidate is a longer tenured employee,

Business data analyst

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Issaquah, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Issaquah, WA (US)

I have been working at Costco Wholesale full-time for more than a year

Pros

GREAT people, ethics and culture.
    A great example for a company that cares about work life balance.
    Very casual environment.
    Brand name: when I tell ANYONE I work for Costco, I get to hear about how much everyone loves Costco and it's a very proud feeling.
    They pay pretty decent too.

Cons

Old school but they are trying to modernize.
    Undergoing a lot of transformation.

great company

I have been working at Costco Wholesale full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

great pay and benefits for the retail industry. There really is a mentality of by expecting the best you get the best.

Cons

At times management more focused on sales and the approval of upper management and less on the customer and hourly employees.

Best place to work

I worked at Costco Wholesale

Pros

Co-workers and management were awesome! Pay was great!!

Cons

Nothing bad to say about company

Excellent

Former Employee - Front End Supervisor
    Former Employee - Front End Supervisor

I worked at Costco Wholesale full-time for more than a year

Pros

Plenty of opportunity for personal growth. The company treats its employees very well.

Cons

I worked at a Union store that inhibited the ability for transparency and sound judgement calls.

Remember to validate all employees.

Worked for Costco Wholesale? Contribute to the Community!