Costco Wholesale

3.8 1,011 reviews

Costco Wholesale President & CEO Craig Jelinek

Craig Jelinek

1,011 Employee Reviews

Pros:
  • "You are able to grow within the company the pay and benefits are wonderful"
    in 92 reviews
  • "There are great benefits available for part-time and full-time employees"
    in 145 reviews
Cons:
  • "Offered me full time then fired me right before I was to receive benefits"
    in 52 reviews
  • "Takes a few seasonal periods to get hired permanently and then it is only part time"
    in 41 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)
North Sydney

I have been working at Costco Wholesale

ProsGreat people to work with

ConsVery old fashioned company to work for

Advice to Senior ManagementTake feedback from your employees about what's working well and what's not

Good Job but schedules can be hard

Service Deli Assistant (Current Employee)
Baxter, MN (US)

I have been working at Costco Wholesale full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat benefits
Good Pay
Lots of variety
guaranteed hours

ConsNot always willing to work with schedules
retail hours
growing too fast for its own good

Advice to Senior ManagementI think you need to keep promoting from within and not hire so many new managers off the street who don't know the company. Seniority seems to be getting pushed aside at new warehouses

Great Company, Great College Job

Membership Clerk (Current Employee)
Salt Lake City, UT (US)

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat health and dental insurance plan, 401k, paid vacation, and paid holidays and paid sick time for both part time and full time employees. Guaranteed at least 24 hours as part time, and 40 for full time. It's a really great company, Costco really takes care of its employees. It's an especially great job to have in college. I go to school full time and working evenings and weekends works perfectly for my schedule, now that I am only scheduled 4 nights a week. The pay is also the best in the retail industry. I work at the membership desk and as a refund cashier, it is a really easy and laid-back job, probably the best department to work in at Costco. Also, it's a pretty laid-back environment, even when it's busy, just depending on the management.

ConsOn the job training only. This is bad because everyone who trains you will tell you something different, and it's hard to know the correct way to do things if you are never officially trained by management. This was especially hard at the membership desk, where there are so many rules you could be breaking, and so many processes that you have to know and could screw up really badly if you aren't trained right. Most departments schedule part-time employees 5 days a week, even if they are only working 24 hours. The food court is the worst job you will ever have at Costco. Seniority is everything at Costco. Don't expect to move up unless you've been there at least 5 years. Also, every job at Costco is really repetitive and mundane, but that just comes with the territory of the industry. They compensate you well, which makes it hard to leave, even if upward mobility is slow and even if the job is simple and unfulfilling.

Advice to Senior ManagementImplement a training program, stop training people on the job! Also, invest in better technology for your computer and register systems. Business would run a lot smoother if Costco wasn't still using the AS400 system. Also, don't schedule part-time employees 5 nights a week! We only work 24 hours, there is no reason for us to be in the store nearly every day. It would make the work-life balance much better.

Not the best management

I have been working at Costco Wholesale

ProsGreat pay, best benefits in the industry. Most of the employees are easy to get along with. Flexible with school schedules.

ConsWork weekends and deal with people in the retail environment. Hard to move up, unless you are hand picked. Hard work doesn't always get noticed, depending on which department you work in. Management isn't the best.

Best Place to Work

Major Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Norwalk, CT (US)

I have been working at Costco Wholesale full-time for more than 8 years

ProsNobody hates their job and it makes working their more enjoyable since the vibe there is so great.

ConsIf you work here you might as well work in every department in the warehouse because thats how it'll seem.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing you guys are doing great

I Just began and it's a really good environment

Carts (Current Employee)
Torrance, CA (US)

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time for less than a year

ProsFriendly coworkers.pay is really good.

ConsVery fast paced, Can be overwhelming at first

Pharmacy Tech Assistant

Pharmacy Technician Assistant (Former Employee)
Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at Costco Wholesale part-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat members, and staff. Management is willing to work with you. Training is alway there if you are willing to ask.

ConsCan't say I had any.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is great, They are willing to help at anytime.

fair company, dirt cheap benefits, they respect my family & me. closed major holidays.

Front End Assistant (Current Employee)
Omaha, NE (US)

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time for more than 3 years

ProsI am retired, This is a great part time job for me. I work 24 hours a week and get great benefits. After Christmas they have lay-off, but I can volunteer to take up to 4 weeks off, w/o goofing up my benefits.
My wife and I take the time to travel somewhere cool. I still get a regular vacation during the year.
They treat me well, respect my family and me in case of illness.

ConsWhen we get really busy, we just work harder. Some customers are very demanding and down right rude.
You just have to say: "i understand" and basically ignore them. (Good thing they can't read my thoughts)
I don't like giving up most weekends, but that is the price of working retail. Great job for students.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would like to give anonymous feedback on some of the management staff. Please offer this to employees.
Also, don't announce when you are going to walk thru a store. They spruce it up so much when senior mgt.
comes thru. They need to tell people that they are going to Dallas, and show up to a location in San Diego.

Merchandising

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time

ProsGreat management.
Good benefits.
Safe workplace.
Easy work.

Conspay increase takes a long time.
Advancement based on seniority.

Overall Costco is a great place to work.

Service Deli Assistant (Current Employee)
Burlington, WA (US)

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time for more than 3 years

ProsCostco seems to hire quality people. I really enjoy my job, mostly because of the people I work with. The pay is higher than most other retail jobs, and the insurance is great.

ConsYou end up working almost every weekend.

Worked for Costco Wholesale? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Costco Wholesale reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Costco Wholesale CEO Craig Jelinek. All 1,011 reviews are posted anonymously by Costco Wholesale employees.