www.costco.com

3.9
1,567 Reviews

Costco Wholesale President & CEO Craig Jelinek
Craig Jelinek

Pros
  • You are able to grow within the company the pay and benefits are wonderful (in 135 reviews)

• Great benefits, takes care of their employees when persona; issues arise (in 195 reviews)

Cons
  • Offered me full time then fired me right before I was to receive benefits (in 68 reviews)

• If you are part time, the amount of hours you get can vary a lot from week to week (in 56 reviews)

More Highlights

Sales Auditor

Current Employee - Sales Auditor in Sydney
    Current Employee - Sales Auditor in Sydney

I have been working at Costco Wholesale full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility for timings. Nice admin environment. Nice future Opportunities. Good co-worker and really hardworking people. Good quality maintain for all product at all time. it's worth to membership fees. Good Life Insurance cover.

Cons

as every coin has two side...... it's OK.

Poor performance of reviewing employes

Former Employee - Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant) in Kilburn
    Former Employee - Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant) in Kilburn

I worked at Costco Wholesale full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good place to work great pay and most of the people are great to work with

Cons

When doing there 30,60,90 day reviews they didn't get till the 30 day one til well after 60 days leaving no time for improvement and because of the late review and not improved getting dismissed 2 weeks after the 30 day review when it has now been 90 days since starting and giving a very poor excuse to fire someone leads to a very dissatisfied former employee who will never set foot in there store again and strongly discourage anyone from shopping or working there in future

Get your 30,60,90 day reviews on time so that your employee have the proper amount of time to improve this for the
    Kilburn Costco in Adelaide

Lack of compassion from mgmt.

I have been working at Costco Wholesale (more than 8 years)

Pros

Reasonably good pay I guess

Cons

I was injured at work whilst trying to help a member. Hurt my back and was in so much pain I couldnt walk properly. I was sent home on public transport despite telling them that I was in pain. One of the supervisors even made an unreasonable comment about getting me re-train on how to lift things when really I was doing it the right way! Didnt hurt to ask me, did it. Pain didnt go away and my doctor asked me to rest up for 2 weeks and when I rang my manager, I was told I need to go back to work, that they will give me light duties even though my doctor said I should be on medical leave. They basically insisted I should go so as to aviod LTI. I spent 3 hours commuting to work and with my back injury its going to be tough.

Imagine if you were the one who was injured at work. How would you like to be treated

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in North Sydney
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in North Sydney

I have been working at Costco Wholesale

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

Very old fashioned company to work for

Take feedback from your employees about what's working well and what's not

Real Pros and Cons

Current Employee - Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant) in San Luis Obispo, CA (US)

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very affordable high quality health insurance benefits even for PT employees. Great for working parents who split up child care and need coverage. The key to succeeding at Costco is to work hard, have a good attitude and be nice to people. It's hard work and fasted paced, you have to be down for that to succeed.

Cons

At this warehouse you are required to work 5 days per week, even if you are PT at 24 or so hours. This means lots of 4-5 hour shifts rather than fewer 8 hour shifts which is tough for those who commute a long distance to work or have to cover day care.

Allow the PT staff at 24/hours per week or so to work 4/6 hour shifts or 3/8 hour shifts rather than 4 and 5 hour shifts. it gets expensive for those who commute a long distance to work or have to cover day care.

Response from Long Term Employee

Current Employee - Membership in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Membership in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Costco Wholesale full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

It's funny to read "Con" company critiques & reviews from employees who have only been employed for a limited period of time.....the key to success with Costco is to "work with purpose", keep the chatter down, don't complain and be thankful for the benefits and pay structure. As the company continues to expand and "crush" the competition (with stock soaring along with profits and revenue), there is significant need for employees with a very positive outlook, gratefulness, compassion for fellow employees and members and an incredibly strong work ethic. Many of these traits have waned over the years with younger employees and those who are new to Costco simply have not experienced "expectations" in the workplace which is why so many "seasonals" find themselves not being called back after January layoffs or re-assigned to the Member Service as a last resort to prove their worth to the organization. With over 20,000 applicants per new warehouse for less than 200 positions, there a many folks who would value a full suite of benefits, reasonable pay, not a real mentally challenging work environment and a pretty good crew to work with. Just start working after you clock-in, and continue at a good pace throughout your shift and keep your idle chatter to yourself.....breaks are mandatory and no one should go without the two 15 minute rest periods, period....call corporate if policies are not being followed.

Cons

Significant growth is a challenge in any organization and many at Costco are on a fast track to the "Peter Principle" however, the alternative of bringing in supervisory/management talent from the "outside" would derail the entire culture plus, there's always a "reason" why someone is out looking for work and most of the time, they were no longer wanted by their previous employer.....very few "outside" hires directly into supervisory or management roles at Costco every work out for a variety of reasons.

Supervisory and management professional development. Eliminate perceived and real "favoritism" at all costs, tie employee development to management bonuses, practices will improve "overnight". Be more like many Fortune 500 companies (Amazon, Pepsi, etc.) and bring management rotation down through the ranks by moving promising candidates around the country, this will will serve to remove the "silos" which have been allowed to develop at the regional level. Seasoned Members who have shopped at multiple locations around the country consistently comment on how different Costco's and employee moral is depending on geographic location.

Working for Costco was a wonderful experience!

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Albany, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Albany, OR (US)

I worked at Costco Wholesale

Pros

The employees are intelligent and hardworking; the employees enjoy working at Costco; there is opportunity to to advance with respect to pay and job description; the supervisors treat the workers with respect; the products that Costco offers it's customers are high quality, and the pricing is enjoyed by the customers.

Cons

I'm not aware of any cons. However, this is a physically demanding job, and I was told that some emplyees left their positions due to the physical demands.

Give your employees some feedback, regarding their performance. My position was seasonal/temporary. Though I don't need a "pat on the back," I think it would be helpful to give all of your employees some feedback, whether it be positive and/or constructive criticism. Moral is already very high at Costco, but I think that providing feedback could be very useful. Thank you.

Costco Wholesale

Current Employee - Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant) in West Des Moines, IA (US)

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great Pay, Great atmosphere, fast paced, Flexibility is alright, Great Incentives

Cons

hours are ok which makes it harder to advance or at least get paid more.

Keep doing what they are doing but I would give more hours, flexibility could be a bit better but it works out alright.

Great

Current Employee - Licensed Optician
    Current Employee - Licensed Optician

I have been working at Costco Wholesale full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great company who really takes care of their employees, you are paid well and have great benefits, but I do miss Sinegal and his people philosophy... I think we lost that.

Cons

Management are not allowed to fraternize but then that causes a lack of communication and closeness. I think that a company needs that so that you can have true mentorships.

It would be great if you showed more interest in your employees.

Bang AND a good Buck!

Former Employee - Merchandise Manager in Austin, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Merchandise Manager in Austin, TX (US)

I worked at Costco Wholesale full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Employees feel valued, promotional opportunities are available because the org looks to existing staff first before they hire from outside the company , OTJ training, benefits, mgmt listens to their employees

Cons

Limited store locations, too few job openings..... Employees rarely leave once their hired, add greater variety to the types of benefit offerings

Add educational opportunities for employees