Costco Wholesale

3.9
1,474 Reviews

Costco Wholesale President & CEO Craig Jelinek
Craig Jelinek

Pros
  • You are able to grow within the company the pay and benefits are wonderful (in 135 reviews)

• Great benefits, takes care of their employees when persona; issues arise (in 195 reviews)

Cons
  • Offered me full time then fired me right before I was to receive benefits (in 68 reviews)

• If you are part time, the amount of hours you get can vary a lot from week to week (in 56 reviews)

More Highlights

Poor performance of reviewing employes

Former Employee - Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant) in Kilburn
    Former Employee - Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant) in Kilburn

I worked at Costco Wholesale full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good place to work great pay and most of the people are great to work with

Cons

When doing there 30,60,90 day reviews they didn't get till the 30 day one til well after 60 days leaving no time for improvement and because of the late review and not improved getting dismissed 2 weeks after the 30 day review when it has now been 90 days since starting and giving a very poor excuse to fire someone leads to a very dissatisfied former employee who will never set foot in there store again and strongly discourage anyone from shopping or working there in future

Get your 30,60,90 day reviews on time so that your employee have the proper amount of time to improve this for the
    Kilburn Costco in Adelaide

Lack of compassion from mgmt.

I have been working at Costco Wholesale (more than 8 years)

Pros

Reasonably good pay I guess

Cons

I was injured at work whilst trying to help a member. Hurt my back and was in so much pain I couldnt walk properly. I was sent home on public transport despite telling them that I was in pain. One of the supervisors even made an unreasonable comment about getting me re-train on how to lift things when really I was doing it the right way! Didnt hurt to ask me, did it. Pain didnt go away and my doctor asked me to rest up for 2 weeks and when I rang my manager, I was told I need to go back to work, that they will give me light duties even though my doctor said I should be on medical leave. They basically insisted I should go so as to aviod LTI. I spent 3 hours commuting to work and with my back injury its going to be tough.

Imagine if you were the one who was injured at work. How would you like to be treated

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in North Sydney
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in North Sydney

I have been working at Costco Wholesale

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

Very old fashioned company to work for

Take feedback from your employees about what's working well and what's not

Real Pros and Cons

Current Employee - Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant) in San Luis Obispo, CA (US)

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Very affordable high quality health insurance benefits even for PT employees. Great for working parents who split up child care and need coverage. The key to succeeding at Costco is to work hard, have a good attitude and be nice to people. It's hard work and fasted paced, you have to be down for that to succeed.

Cons

At this warehouse you are required to work 5 days per week, even if you are PT at 24 or so hours. This means lots of 4-5 hour shifts rather than fewer 8 hour shifts which is tough for those who commute a long distance to work or have to cover day care.

Allow the PT staff at 24/hours per week or so to work 4/6 hour shifts or 3/8 hour shifts rather than 4 and 5 hour shifts. it gets expensive for those who commute a long distance to work or have to cover day care.

Response from Long Term Employee

Current Employee - Membership in Seattle, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Membership in Seattle, WA (US)

I have been working at Costco Wholesale full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

It's funny to read "Con" company critiques & reviews from employees who have only been employed for a limited period of time.....the key to success with Costco is to "work with purpose", keep the chatter down, don't complain and be thankful for the benefits and pay structure. As the company continues to expand and "crush" the competition (with stock soaring along with profits and revenue), there is significant need for employees with a very positive outlook, gratefulness, compassion for fellow employees and members and an incredibly strong work ethic. Many of these traits have waned over the years with younger employees and those who are new to Costco simply have not experienced "expectations" in the workplace which is why so many "seasonals" find themselves not being called back after January layoffs or re-assigned to the Member Service as a last resort to prove their worth to the organization. With over 20,000 applicants per new warehouse for less than 200 positions, there a many folks who would value a full suite of benefits, reasonable pay, not a real mentally challenging work environment and a pretty good crew to work with. Just start working after you clock-in, and continue at a good pace throughout your shift and keep your idle chatter to yourself.....breaks are mandatory and no one should go without the two 15 minute rest periods, period....call corporate if policies are not being followed.

Cons

Significant growth is a challenge in any organization and many at Costco are on a fast track to the "Peter Principle" however, the alternative of bringing in supervisory/management talent from the "outside" would derail the entire culture plus, there's always a "reason" why someone is out looking for work and most of the time, they were no longer wanted by their previous employer.....very few "outside" hires directly into supervisory or management roles at Costco every work out for a variety of reasons.

Supervisory and management professional development. Eliminate perceived and real "favoritism" at all costs, tie employee development to management bonuses, practices will improve "overnight". Be more like many Fortune 500 companies (Amazon, Pepsi, etc.) and bring management rotation down through the ranks by moving promising candidates around the country, this will will serve to remove the "silos" which have been allowed to develop at the regional level. Seasoned Members who have shopped at multiple locations around the country consistently comment on how different Costco's and employee moral is depending on geographic location.

Great company but be prepared to deal with horrible members

Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in San Diego, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in San Diego, CA (US)

I have been working at Costco Wholesale full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits, hours, 401k and bonuses..can't really complain when you're making $50,000 a year without a college degree..

Cons

The members can be awful and even if they are cussing at you or treating like garbage management will always take their side and even reward their bad behavior with cash cards..

try to understand we don't want unhappy members sometimes they're are upset because we can't fill a control substance early..please look at the big picture instead of having the attitude that a complaint is a complaint..

Front End Assistant Seasonal

Former Employee - Front End Assistant Seasonal in Seattle, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Front End Assistant Seasonal in Seattle, WA (US)

I worked at Costco Wholesale part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I guess my glass is over half-full: I really enjoyed learning the ropes and having an opportunity to prove my own worth. Yes it's competitive but welcome to the real world! Smile; pick up the garbage on the floor; say hello to customers - man, they chose what line they want and every customer counts! Get paid going to the gym. Excellent corporate policy, training and documentation/orientation. What is the correct answer to your supervisor asking you if you know how to do a given task? "Not YET!" I was thrilled to make pies during Thanksgiving after wrangling carts all afternoon, go team!

Cons

Since schedules DO change and only posted a week prior it would be mint to see this function automated to employees. Having made a special trip to not have the schedule posted (rare I understand but frustrating gas, time, begging...) this is a small, but important tool, the company could further provide to support their employees - those poor schedulers! My husband was busting my chops to know when I would have 2 days off in a row I learned later when he surprised me with a night at the Fairmont in Maui.

It would support new employees to provide a tri-fold cheat sheet (like the great stretching reference) on how to look up an item and print * signs, how to fold clothes per company policy (amazing how an entire table of pants were folded with the size taped inside the leg), what keys change dispensers, how to preserve produce and revenue on box runs and cart etiquette. Review process was grand!

Wonderful! Great pay, benefits, and a sense of purpose.

Current Employee - Tire Installer in Eugene, OR (US)
    Current Employee - Tire Installer in Eugene, OR (US)

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (more than a year)

Pros

The starting pay is far above minimum in many states. All employees have access to benefits as well as a 401k plan that matches employee contributions. The management is flexible and focuses on pleasing employees regarding their schedule. I am a full time student and my supervisors have gone above and beyond to give me opportunities with this company, even while I am overwhelmed with school.

Cons

It is stressful and demanding. Though member service is a cornerstone to this company, Costco will often let members walk all over their employees. It pays well because it is a hard days work. If you're not motivated and you have a weak work ethic, you will not make it past the probationary period.

Though Costco treats their employees better than anyone in the industry, I would suggest focusing more on employee recognition. I am personally motivated by appeasing my supervisors, and by knowing that I have done something that the company appreciates. It often seems that management shoves suggestions from employees to the curb. Though the company has a program in place to give employees a voice, it does not seem to be effective on the local level.

It,s a great place to Work. they friendly

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Northlakes, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Northlakes, NC (US)

I have been working at Costco Wholesale full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Im Current employee @ Pga National/ Spa for more than 11years, Iam Working as Server , Banquet Set up.Iam in process to continue my education. I Complete my High School Diploma in American Academy of pines crest, in Miami, fl.

Cons

Well my suggestion if Imay bring up, as employees, you should always Comes With a good idea.
    Be sure to come on your time. and you have to have respect for your Co workers.

The Management should have a good Communication With their employees.
    so everyone should fallow Whatever the Compagny say.