Costco Wholesale

Updated Jul 23, 2014

3.8 1,154 reviews

Costco Wholesale President & CEO Craig Jelinek

Craig Jelinek

Pros
  • You are able to grow within the company the pay and benefits are wonderful(in 106 reviews)

• There are great benefits available for part-time and full-time employees(in 164 reviews)

Cons
  • Offered me full time then fired me right before I was to receive benefits(in 57 reviews)

• Takes a few seasonal periods to get hired permanently and then it is only part time(in 46 reviews)

1,154 Employee Reviews

Lack of compassion from mgmt.

ProsReasonably good pay I guess

ConsI was injured at work whilst trying to help a member. Hurt my back and was in so much pain I couldnt walk properly. I was sent home on public transport despite telling them that I was in pain. One of the supervisors even made an unreasonable comment about getting me re-train on how to lift things when really I was doing it the right way! Didnt hurt to ask me, did it. Pain didnt go away and my doctor asked me to rest up for 2 weeks and when I rang my manager, I was told I need to go back to work, that they will give me light duties even though my doctor said I should be on medical leave. They basically insisted I should go so as to aviod LTI. I spent 3 hours commuting to work and with my back injury its going to be tough.

Advice to Senior ManagementImagine if you were the one who was injured at work. How would you like to be treated

Assistant Manager (Current Employee) North Sydney

ProsGreat people to work with

ConsVery old fashioned company to work for

Advice to Senior ManagementTake feedback from your employees about what's working well and what's not

Great place to work with a flexible schedule while going to school

Cashier (Former Employee) Santa Clara, CA (US)

ProsDecent pay for part time, benefits, and time and a half on sundays make it a nice job for working at a "grocery" store.

ConsEverything revolves around the check in clock, have to be exactly clocked in when you start and exactly clocked out when your shift ends.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Seasonal employment turned into full-time with fabulous benefits & great company@

Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant) (Former Employee) Plano, TX (US)

ProsTreated employees with respect! Lots poo f room for advancement

ConsBeing retail some times the schedule wasn't the greatest.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone!

Good Company

Supervisor (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ (US)

ProsThe company has great benefits, high pay, and works around school. The company has an open door policy if you want to talk to corporate.

ConsManagement seems to be concerned only with issues when you go to corporate. Open availability is always needed to move up in the company.

A great company to work for

Major Sales Associate (Current Employee) Houston, TX (US)

ProsGood pay, great benefits, growth for the future.

ConsDepending on what warehouse you work in if hourly, can become a boys or girls club. Hard to move up if this happens.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter screening process for assistant managers and senior managers. Not everyone who has that position deserves it.

Great place to work, Train managers better or have them clock in.

ProsAwesome environment, cool people, some laid back days, Good pay.

ConsNeed more managing of the managers because they are on salary and don't have to clock in and out.

Advice to Senior ManagementSome need to man up and work their whole shift or more.

Cart Pusher/Front End

Front End Assistant (Current Employee) Stockton, CA (US)

ProsPays well
    Tons of hours for part time job
    Flexible hours
    Free membership

ConsAttitude from older staff (lack of respect)
    Lack of decent instructions

Pretty decent overall

Marketing Representative (Former Employee) Ottawa, ON (Canada)

ProsThey promote from with in, value hard work, and have good ethics - much better than they ever publicize. I learned a lot about their products (even after I left) which made me really have a lot of respect for what they do. Lots of great opportunities within the company as well.

ConsCan value seniority over performance sometimes, which is frustrating. I was in a sales position which was tough, but they did a lot to try to alleviate the stress it was causing me until I finally left.

Advice to Senior ManagementCoach your team leads and managers better, and show them how to properly coach their staff. The feedback was often useless or horrendous. Oh, and design a proper training for the cash people (membership) - ad-hoc training was not as useful as a proper introduction could be.

baker

Bakery Wrapper (Current Employee) Tallahassee, FL (US)

ProsIt is a good Company and have a good salary rates and benefits

ConsThe people who is in charge of the stores doesn't match with the company, it means that is better company than people that manages the stores.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove your management personal, they are no fair with the people.

Worked for Costco Wholesale? Contribute to the Community!