Costco Wholesale Reviews

3.9
1,289 Reviews

Costco Wholesale President & CEO Craig Jelinek
Craig Jelinek

Pros
  • You are able to grow within the company the pay and benefits are wonderful (in 116 reviews)

• Great benefits, takes care of their employees when persona; issues arise (in 186 reviews)

Cons
  • Offered me full time then fired me right before I was to receive benefits (in 62 reviews)

• If you are part time, the amount of hours you get can vary a lot from week to week (in 51 reviews)

More Highlights

Lack of compassion from mgmt.

I have been working at Costco Wholesale (more than 8 years)

Pros

Reasonably good pay I guess

Cons

I was injured at work whilst trying to help a member. Hurt my back and was in so much pain I couldnt walk properly. I was sent home on public transport despite telling them that I was in pain. One of the supervisors even made an unreasonable comment about getting me re-train on how to lift things when really I was doing it the right way! Didnt hurt to ask me, did it. Pain didnt go away and my doctor asked me to rest up for 2 weeks and when I rang my manager, I was told I need to go back to work, that they will give me light duties even though my doctor said I should be on medical leave. They basically insisted I should go so as to aviod LTI. I spent 3 hours commuting to work and with my back injury its going to be tough.

Imagine if you were the one who was injured at work. How would you like to be treated

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in North Sydney
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in North Sydney

I have been working at Costco Wholesale

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

Very old fashioned company to work for

Take feedback from your employees about what's working well and what's not

This is an amazing company to work for and I would recommend it to anyone.

Current Employee - Membership Clerk in Orland Park, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Membership Clerk in Orland Park, IL (US)

I have been working at Costco Wholesale full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are definitely great hours and fantastic benefits even at the part time level. They are good at promoting from within so it is not difficult to move up the ladder. There are so many jobs at the warehouse and they are decently lenient at letting you try new things.

Cons

Because the pay is so good, people tend to stay in their positions so sometimes getting promoted can be difficult. Also, since having a degree is not required to move up in the company, some staff are not actually qualified to do their own positions and don't always perform it as well as they could be.

Don't forget where you came from. You didn't start off as a manager, so make sure you treat the hourlies well. They are the cogs in the machine.

The Pinnacle of Retail/Wholesaling

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Initial pay is well above minimum wage, the opportunity for advancement is almost inevitable with time and experience. Workers are great, pay is great, student program is very flexible.

Cons

Taxing enviroment, you'll find yourself quite tired at the end of a day. The member's can also be pushy because they feel entitled with their memberships. Feedback is rare.

Communication needs a lot of work. Every worker should have the chance to become a key part of the business. I have worked at Costco for four years and rarely hear feedback outside of my reviews. I am a hard working business administration student and my degree has not yet been discussed with management. A student with a pending degree and a lot of seniority should have a very good idea where he is going with the company. Fantastic business nonetheless, but this and the above "cons" do need attention.

The last job you'll ever have

Former Employee - Floor Assistant in Burnaby, BC (Canada)
    Former Employee - Floor Assistant in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

I worked at Costco Wholesale part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Competitive wages, equal opportunity, training, Career oriented, they ensure you'll be there for the long haul with raises based in hours worked and opportunities to work in any sector of any warehouse.

Cons

Since no established employees leave, only the lower tier positions are available for those starting out and for their fist several years.

It seemed as if people, even weak staff were rewarded for hanging around wit he company based on hours worked, rather than ability to perform.

Excellent place to work for students as well as mature adults.

Former Employee - Front End Assistant
    Former Employee - Front End Assistant

I worked at Costco Wholesale part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Lots of opportunities for cross-training and advancement. Above-average pay and excellent benefits. Your hard work is noticed.

Cons

Not a place for lazy or unmotivated people. If you don't pull your weight, you won't last.

Upper management should spend a little more time on the floor.

Stressful work environment at times, but superior pay and benefits.

Current Employee - Licensed Optician
    Current Employee - Licensed Optician

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The pay is better than any other service job out there, and the benefits are hard to match. This company takes care of their employees.

Cons

Stressful dealing when the stores get busy, and when customers have memberships they tend to be more demanding. Costco doesn't operate like most stores so people get upset when things don't go their way. Normal of any customer service job I suppose, but exaggerated by strict buying policies and procedures. The lenient return policy also means people try to get away with returning very old or broken items.

Changing the upper management at individual locations so frequently prevents any employee from ever being comfortable. I've been through 3 warehouse managers in my time at my store and every new manager feels the need to change policies or make unnecessary changes just for the sake of making changes. Some changes are frustrating and inconsiderate to the longtime employees. You don't need to change the manager every 2 years!

Bakery Clerk Job

Current Employee - Bakery Clerk in Tucson, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Bakery Clerk in Tucson, AZ (US)

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great management and great place to work

Cons

Hours may not be what you need when have more responsibilities as an adult, however, as a student it works perfectly

What an incredible experience!

Current Employee - Costco Night Stocker in Tacoma, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Costco Night Stocker in Tacoma, WA (US)

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The pay was great, managers were helpful and constructive, and there was a great teamwork ethic throughout. There was a great atmosphere and it seemed like the company really appreciated its employees, through potlucks and free food often.

Cons

Part-time 5 days a week in the middle of the night, with non-consecutive off days was a bit rough on one's sanity. Seemed like sometimes there wasn't enough staff to get work done.

Keep doin' what you're doin'!

Excellent company to work for.

Current Employee - Baker in Nanuet, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Baker in Nanuet, NY (US)

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Costco is a great company to work for. their time off policy is absolutely wonderful and has a college student; it is extremely generous because you can decide not to work during school and still have a job to come back too in the summer. The health benefits is wonderful and they promote within first before they go look for outside help, which means you have a great chance of getting a promotion.

Cons

The Supervisors sometimes can act like a jerk like they run the place, which is funny because a good amount of the mangers doesn't act like that especially the warehouse manager. Depending on the department you work in, everything sometimes can seem like a monopoly; like if somebody didn't complete their job from the day before its going to be a rough start for you the next day because you have to pick up from where they left off from.

Be more hands on and listen to the little guys sometimes and watch the supervisors because they try to get away with everything and blame it on the associates, which is horrible. And when the department is backed up, you have to roll up your sleeves and get in there to help out which in turn would make the associates work hard so everything could get on track.