Costco Wholesale Reviews

3.9
1,300 Reviews

Costco Wholesale President & CEO Craig Jelinek
Craig Jelinek

Pros
  • You are able to grow within the company the pay and benefits are wonderful (in 116 reviews)

• Great benefits, takes care of their employees when persona; issues arise (in 186 reviews)

Cons
  • Offered me full time then fired me right before I was to receive benefits (in 62 reviews)

• If you are part time, the amount of hours you get can vary a lot from week to week (in 52 reviews)

More Highlights

Bakery Clerk Job

Current Employee - Bakery Clerk in Tucson, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Bakery Clerk in Tucson, AZ (US)

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great management and great place to work

Cons

Hours may not be what you need when have more responsibilities as an adult, however, as a student it works perfectly

Excellent for long term careers

Former Employee - Membership Clerk in Riverside, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Membership Clerk in Riverside, CA (US)

I worked at Costco Wholesale full-time (more than an year)

Pros

job security, unlimited growth potential, family-like work environment

Cons

Sometimes you get bosses that have a big head and they seem very pretentious, but overall not a whole lot of cons

You always have other bosses above you, so unless you're the CEO, know your place

Probably the best in retail

Current Employee - Front End (Cashier Assistant) in Henderson, NV (US)
    Current Employee - Front End (Cashier Assistant) in Henderson, NV (US)

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great benefits, pay. If you want to have a career and work for it, Costco can provide it for you. If you do not want to go to College, you can start and be well on your way/making 50k plus a year by the time most graduate college. Good environment, takes great care of employees. Lots of opportunities to transfer and a continuously growing and successful company.

Cons

-Lots of managers, not enough leaders
    -Some managers are out of touch with members and employees
    -Seniority glass ceiling: people are promoted based mostly, but not all, on seniority and not by skill or merit. Not very efficient.
    -(My particular warehouse) constantly concerned with cutting hours yet almost always understaffed
    -Not a great place for someone with higher education. You're pretty much placed with everyone else no matter your prior experience or education, because you're expected to gain seniority.
    -Terrible training program. The best company I've worked for but by far the worst training program, practically non existent. Managers and supervisors have conflicting priorities and it just hurts the employee/member.

There has got to be a better training programs for each position. Corporate needs to establish a consistent, prioritized program that is ORGANIZED to make sure all employees (including sups/managers) are on the same page. There needs to be more synergy, It will make everyone's lives better and make individual warehouses far more effecient.

Provide your supervisors and managers with formal, annual leadership training.

Promote on experience/merit and potential first and then seniority.

Create a program for new hires with college educations (and/or previous experience in management positions) to help them fast track: learn more about how the warehouse works, gain experience in multiple area areas quickly and them move up more quickly (if the shoe fits I'm not implying that just because someone has a bachelor's they automatically deserve to start out as a supervisor or manager). Roughly 3-5 years to barely break into salary because of the seniority glass ceiling is ridiculous. Especially when these people could work for competitors in these positions off the bat. There are people, like myself, who are educated and with prior experience who want to work for this company because we truly love it and believe it's the best. People who can utilize their education and experience to help better this company to grow and be more successful and efficient. These people are the future of your company help them help you. Invest in them and seek them out. If we feel like we are just going to fall to the wayside with every one else we'll take our talents elsewhere because we can achieve more elsewhere in the time it would take to barely move up in Costco.

Great company to work for! It was a great job for a college student

Former Employee - Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant) in Tustin, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Cashier Assistant (Front End Assistant) in Tustin, CA (US)

I worked at Costco Wholesale part-time (more than an year)

Pros

I truly love this company and their culture. I was a costco fan for a while prior to working here, and afterwards I have even more respect for the company. Costco truly knows how to take care of their employees and therefore it trickles down to the way their employees treat their members. They understand the idea that if the people who work for the company are happy, then the members are well taken care of. I also think this was the best choice I could have made for a part time college job. I had medical benefits and a 401k that they matched. At 19, I really didn't understand the importance of that, but looking back I really appreciate that. They also worked with my school schedule to make sure that it didn't conflict too much. Lastly, Costco hires really great people, and I have some of my closest friends that I met when I worked there during college.

Cons

The only con would be the crazy hours that I worked, however that was mainly due to the fact that I had class. For me it was hard to find a work-life balance because when I wasn't working I was in class and I always worked on the weekends. It was tough to get a weekend off.

customer service assistant

Current Employee - Customer Assistant in Burnaby, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Customer Assistant in Burnaby, BC (Canada)

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (less than an year)

Pros

seasonal jobs, just go through first interview, waiting for second round

Cons

fast-pace, labour, most shifts at night.

two times interview, reference check after first interview

Good for a job, not a career

Former Employee - Multiple Positions in Fort Worth, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Multiple Positions in Fort Worth, TX (US)

I worked at Costco Wholesale part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Broad range of knowledge attained through experience
    Good benefits, decent pay
    (for the most part) understanding management

Cons

Personal politics among employees
    Unpredictable schedules/schedule changes
    Seniority plays MAJOR role in decisions about moves to new/higher roles, (somewhat) regardless of the individuals themselves.
    Unrealistic goals for individuals.

Follow company guidelines regarding posting of schedules.
    Give more complete training on memberships and benefits, so that all employees can be on somewhat the same page.

costco

I worked at Costco Wholesale part-time

Pros

good starting pay, advance from within, flexible hours

Cons

in my opinion there are not many cons if any at all. biggest con to me was having to deal with members who are rude

none

Great

Current Employee - Membership Clerk in Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Membership Clerk in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at Costco Wholesale part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Benefits and pay. And raises

Cons

Lots of drama and rumors

Control the trouble makers who pass on rumoirs

Great job while in school

Former Employee - Front End (Cashier Assistant) in Culver City, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Front End (Cashier Assistant) in Culver City, CA (US)

I worked at Costco Wholesale part-time (more than an year)

Pros

- good pay
    - relatively easy work

Cons

- hours are long
    - the customers that come in on this side of town can be spoild and entitled at times (read: not fun to interact or deal with)

Great place to build a career.

I have been working at Costco Wholesale

Pros

Very ethical company and they value their employees

Cons

Designed for someone that does not have a lot of work experience.