Countrywide Financial

Be The First To
Add Photos

Countrywide Financial CEO Angelo R Mozilo

Angelo R Mozilo

Pros:
  • "The best reason to work for Countrywide is that it is now a part of Bank of America"
    in 5 reviews
  • "cool place to stay but there is no much competence in mgmt good for work life balance"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "Also, work life balance is a non-idea at Countrywide"
    in 5 reviews
  • "You have to be willing to work very hard with no one seeming to notice"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Good pay, poor culture

First Vice President (Former Employee)
Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at Countrywide Financial

ProsGood pay compared to peers and responsibilities in other mortgage banks. Varied opportunities to try different careers in the organization.

ConsBasically, a cowboy culture combined with nepotism. Long hours, no work/life balance once you moved pass VP title.

Advice to Senior ManagementReview the corporate culture and start living the values it is supposed to represent.

Politics is high. Hard work not consistently recognized or even recommended.

Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at Countrywide Financial

ProsLarge company with many different perspectives and varying degrees of talent and skill to learn from.

ConsThose in cushy positions are sometimes impossible to deal with.

Advice to Senior ManagementPolitics is inevitable in any environment. However some of this should be monitored and the skill-experience-compensation relationship should be baselined to make sure those with valuable skills are compensated accordingly.

OK place to work

I worked at Countrywide Financial

ProsAggressive growth slowed as the business grew; same happend with the culture. Some areas were rough, but most areas were just a normal company.

ConsBad reputation will hurt my resume going forward.

Advice to Senior ManagementShould have kept your interest rate hedges.

Intellectually challenging but intense and often competitive work environment

Managing Director (Former Employee)
Calabasas, CA (US)

I worked at Countrywide Financial

ProsIf you're smart and willing to seek new challenges/responsibilities, you'll often get them. Networking is key - who you know (and who likes you) matters.

ConsLong hours, tight deadlines, unrealistic expectations from executive management - all of these things are a factor in the day-to-day environment (not just once in a while.)

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your in-house experts, especially the ones who don't agree with everything you say. They likely know more than you do and are probably right.

Junior review of Countrywide

I worked at Countrywide Financial

ProsThe particular Countrywide group I worked in was great, senior management was extremely knowledgeable and had a great track record of success. Additionally, we were compensated well and given room to grow.

ConsThere wasn't a path to management within the company. Additionally, the crisis proved that things were not as well as they seemed.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo late now..... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Working at the Plano office of Countrywide

Quality Assurance Analyst (Former Employee)
Plano, TX (US)

I worked at Countrywide Financial

ProsThe only reason I would ever want to work at Countrywide again would be the fact that they got bought out by Bank of America. The company name "Bank of America" would be a good stepping stone for people to move into smaller companies with better pay.

ConsI could go on forever about how terrible this place was. The managers never had any work to do, yet they tried to act like they were really busy. The same went for most of the employees here. We were given lots of "drive around the parking lot" work. I felt like I was becoming dumber every day I went in. The work that we were given was hardly ever challenging. The salary and bonuses were also terrible. I would avoid this place at all costs. Bank of America made a dumb move in acquiring this run down company.

Advice to Senior ManagementCut down the number of VPs and SVPs you have in the company. A 3 to 1 employee to manager ratio is just ridiculous.

Fast paced but room to advance

Plano, TX (US)

I worked at Countrywide Financial

Prosgreat advancement opportunites and compensation, very collegial workforce, a number of long term employees, pride in the company, growing fast

Consvery fast paced, never enough staff to do the work needed, seems as if all communications, programs etc were focused on the LCD (i.e. lowest common denominator) employees, short cubicle walls

Advice to Senior Managementto many levels of VPS

Inflated Titles and Lack of Consistency Across Groups

AVP, Internal Audit (Former Employee)

I worked at Countrywide Financial

ProsMost people were good people which made the environment nicer. The salary and benefits were in line with similar jobs both in the banking industry and outside.

ConsLack of direction by upper internal audit management. Huge disparity between groups within internal audit from everything to quality of deliverables to time off. The department was very top heavy with lots of elevated titles for people who were doing administrative tasks.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe if all internal audit groups were held to the same standard, some of the things that caused the collapse may have been uncovered sooner.

The Worst Job I Ever Had!

Financial Advisor (Former Employee)
Broomall, PA (US)

I worked at Countrywide Financial

ProsMet some nice co-workers that I've remained friends with.

ConsWorked Holidays and never received doubletime. We were paid hourly. Management would tell you you could take a day off another time to make up for the extra day. It was a payroll nightmare.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe only people that made money here were people in top management; otherwise, you are used for the most part.

Bloated middle management layer

Assistant Vice President (Former Employee)

I worked at Countrywide Financial

Proslaid back environment in some offices,

ConsSome offices are like cattle farms, there are too many VPs, SVPs and other middle managers, many of whom don't even have anyone reporting to them

Advice to Senior Managementimprove quality of work environment for lower level workers (below SVP level).

Worked for Countrywide Financial? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Countrywide Financial reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Countrywide Financial CEO Angelo R Mozilo. All 82 reviews are posted anonymously by Countrywide Financial employees.