Countrywide Financial

Countrywide Financial Reviews

2.7

Countrywide Financial CEO Angelo R Mozilo
Angelo R Mozilo

Pros
  • The best reason to work for Countrywide is that it is now a part of Bank of America (in 5 reviews)

• A lot of the people who work for the company are nice and intelligent (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Also, work life balance is a non-idea at Countrywide (in 5 reviews)

• You have to be willing to work very hard with no one seeming to notice (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Good pay, poor culture

Former Employee - First Vice President in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - First Vice President in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at Countrywide Financial

Pros

Good pay compared to peers and responsibilities in other mortgage banks. Varied opportunities to try different careers in the organization.

Cons

Basically, a cowboy culture combined with nepotism. Long hours, no work/life balance once you moved pass VP title.

Review the corporate culture and start living the values it is supposed to represent.

OK place to work

I worked at Countrywide Financial

Pros

Aggressive growth slowed as the business grew; same happend with the culture. Some areas were rough, but most areas were just a normal company.

Cons

Bad reputation will hurt my resume going forward.

Should have kept your interest rate hedges.

Politics is high. Hard work not consistently recognized or even recommended.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at Countrywide Financial

Pros

Large company with many different perspectives and varying degrees of talent and skill to learn from.

Cons

Those in cushy positions are sometimes impossible to deal with.

Politics is inevitable in any environment. However some of this should be monitored and the skill-experience-compensation relationship should be baselined to make sure those with valuable skills are compensated accordingly.

Intellectually challenging but intense and often competitive work environment

Former Employee - Managing Director in Calabasas, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Managing Director in Calabasas, CA (US)

I worked at Countrywide Financial

Pros

If you're smart and willing to seek new challenges/responsibilities, you'll often get them. Networking is key - who you know (and who likes you) matters.

Cons

Long hours, tight deadlines, unrealistic expectations from executive management - all of these things are a factor in the day-to-day environment (not just once in a while.)

Listen to your in-house experts, especially the ones who don't agree with everything you say. They likely know more than you do and are probably right.

Junior review of Countrywide

I worked at Countrywide Financial

Pros

The particular Countrywide group I worked in was great, senior management was extremely knowledgeable and had a great track record of success. Additionally, we were compensated well and given room to grow.

Cons

There wasn't a path to management within the company. Additionally, the crisis proved that things were not as well as they seemed.

Too late now..... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Working at the Plano office of Countrywide

Former Employee - Quality Assurance Analyst in Plano, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance Analyst in Plano, TX (US)

I worked at Countrywide Financial

Pros

The only reason I would ever want to work at Countrywide again would be the fact that they got bought out by Bank of America. The company name "Bank of America" would be a good stepping stone for people to move into smaller companies with better pay.

Cons

I could go on forever about how terrible this place was. The managers never had any work to do, yet they tried to act like they were really busy. The same went for most of the employees here. We were given lots of "drive around the parking lot" work. I felt like I was becoming dumber every day I went in. The work that we were given was hardly ever challenging. The salary and bonuses were also terrible. I would avoid this place at all costs. Bank of America made a dumb move in acquiring this run down company.

Cut down the number of VPs and SVPs you have in the company. A 3 to 1 employee to manager ratio is just ridiculous.

Fast paced but room to advance

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX (US)

I worked at Countrywide Financial

Pros

great advancement opportunites and compensation, very collegial workforce, a number of long term employees, pride in the company, growing fast

Cons

very fast paced, never enough staff to do the work needed, seems as if all communications, programs etc were focused on the LCD (i.e. lowest common denominator) employees, short cubicle walls

to many levels of VPS

Inflated Titles and Lack of Consistency Across Groups

Former Employee - AVP, Internal Audit
    Former Employee - AVP, Internal Audit

I worked at Countrywide Financial

Pros

Most people were good people which made the environment nicer. The salary and benefits were in line with similar jobs both in the banking industry and outside.

Cons

Lack of direction by upper internal audit management. Huge disparity between groups within internal audit from everything to quality of deliverables to time off. The department was very top heavy with lots of elevated titles for people who were doing administrative tasks.

Maybe if all internal audit groups were held to the same standard, some of the things that caused the collapse may have been uncovered sooner.

The Worst Job I Ever Had!

Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Broomall, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Financial Advisor in Broomall, PA (US)

I worked at Countrywide Financial

Pros

Met some nice co-workers that I've remained friends with.

Cons

Worked Holidays and never received doubletime. We were paid hourly. Management would tell you you could take a day off another time to make up for the extra day. It was a payroll nightmare.

The only people that made money here were people in top management; otherwise, you are used for the most part.

Bloated middle management layer

Former Employee - Assistant Vice President
    Former Employee - Assistant Vice President

I worked at Countrywide Financial

Pros

laid back environment in some offices,

Cons

Some offices are like cattle farms, there are too many VPs, SVPs and other middle managers, many of whom don't even have anyone reporting to them

improve quality of work environment for lower level workers (below SVP level).