Cox Communications

Cox Communications Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Cox Communications President Pat Esser

Pat Esser

Pros
  • Decent work life balance depending upon your manager(in 34 reviews)

• Benefits- subsidized cable and internet are good(in 33 reviews)

Cons
  • High Sales Driven or a non-sales position, company closed call center(in 19 reviews)

• Lots of pressure to sale and the actual quality of customer service didn't matter anymore(in 14 reviews)

Best company I've worked for

Inbound Sales Representative (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ (US)

ProsGreat company with leadership that really cares about your growth and profitability. Everyone is invested in your success great culture and fellow employees. Even though my department is moving out of state and I won't be here much longer they have done everything well to help the transition go smoothly.

ConsIt is difficult to get hired without good experience or references from current employees. Hiring process takes longer than I thought but that seems to always be the case with large companies. Moving my department out of state.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work. Very impressed with the job you are doing.

Great company to work for. Wonderful working environment.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat place to work, laid back atmosphere and wonderfully, caring coworkers.

ConsCan't think of any as I was very satisfied working there but there was a layoff that caused many to lose our positions because we didn't want to relocated to where our current job was repositioned. Me, I didn't want to move to the desert and didn't want to move further north, where my position was sent. If it was positioned further south, I would have stayed with the company as I truly liked my job.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have no advice. I think that management is great and they do the best for both the company and the employees.

Great Company and Great Career

ProsCox is a great company to work for and a good career for anyone willing to work hard.
    -Good pay.
    -Good Benefits.
    -Extremely discounted services for cable, internet and phone.
    -Management and Directors in my group are approachable and fair.

ConsConsolodations in the regions have pushed jobs out of many regions, and limited opportunities anywhere but Atlanta.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great work environment - easy to advance if you work hard

Account Manager (Current Employee) Wichita, KS (US)

ProsGreat benefits, pay was generous, true open door policy, fantastic environment to work in, internal advancement opportunities

ConsPeople hate cable companies, current position requires spontaneous travel.

Very difficult convince management to implement new ideas and technologies.

Senior Design Engineer (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA (US)

ProsVery friendly people and good retirement plan

ConsYou have to follow shepherd.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate advanced technology research and evaluation group.

Great company to work for...

Inbound Sales Representative (Current Employee) Oklahoma City, OK (US)

ProsPay is great, benefits are awesome!

ConsNot much room for advancement, no pay raises. They say if you want to make more, then sell more which doesn't reward people for staying with the company.

Great company, great pay

Universal Home Technician (Former Employee) Chantilly, VA (US)

ProsManagement makes genuine efforts to keep their people happy. Great training/onboarding for new hires. Wages increase nicely with time - 50% increase in about 3.5 years.

ConsCan sometimes feel like you are in high school the way policies are implemented and enforced. Customers generally are a drag too.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed more opportunities for senior employees to transition into new roles / departments. Far to common for people to stagnate and get perma-stuck as field techs because they've got nowhere else to go internally and the pay is easily better than anything else they can find externally with their unique skillset.

Started out great

Technical Support Representative (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ (US)

Pros* Free cable and internet
    * Decent pay
    * Great people

ConsWhen I started sales was not the main focus of technical support. There was a sales quota, but it wasn't too bad and the managers were happy if you were doing well at the job you were actually hired for: technical support. Once they switched to the service-to-sales model, everything changed. Lots of pressure to sale and the actual quality of customer service didn't matter anymore. When I left, everyone had the same quota, even people who worked nights and had limited opportunity because most of the customers were from different markets or drunk.

The company does not back its employees. Customers are abusive and the company does nothing. Customer sexually harass women technicians and the company does nothing. You can get in trouble for hanging up on a customer, even when the customer is being abusive and using sexually aggressive language. There is suppose to be a system in place to deal with this, but management does not respond at all and the support team that is supposed to take the customer and is allowed to disconnect the calls often refuses to take the call and tells you just to deal with it.

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport employees better. Don't let customers sexually harass and insult employees. Quit getting rid of good technical support reps because they don't do well in sales; these are two different skill sets.

Friends before qualification.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Baton Rouge, LA (US)

ProsCox is big on customer services which is a plus since without the customers there will be no Cox

ConsLeadership will hire and promote their friends who clearly has no understand of what their job is and how to do it well.

Advice to Senior ManagementInstead of promoting someone who has not been with the company a year and the people who jobs got cut lost their jobs you need to promote those who been with us 10+ years. That is what shows poor leadership

Great in the beginning, but its all downhill from there.

Universal Home Technician (Current Employee) Tulsa, OK (US)

ProsThey move you through training fast, and the benefits/discounts are great... but there is very little room for advancement later on.

ConsLong hours, the company is going through a 'standardization' process which is basically making the company feel like you may as well be working for Wal-Mart. They have no problem mandating overtime with little to no notice and the 'scorecard' grading system is completely unfair.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet the systems be independent from one another, you're taking away everything that was great about cox when i first started! It used to have a 'small business' feel, and now its just corporate rhetoric and nobody really gives a sh*t about whats going on locally anymore. We were even told in a recent meeting by a member of upper management 'It's going to get much worse, before it gets better..." yet we're supposed to be "the most trusted provider.." to our customers? How can customers trust Cox if your own employees dont even trust you?

Worked for Cox Communications? Contribute to the Community!