DFS Group

Add Photos

DFS Group Chairman & CEO Philippe Schaus

Philippe Schaus

Managing Director of NAM has absolutely no clue

Manager (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA (US)

ProsThe overall company itself is great. Great employees worldwide. Great benefits.

ConsThe MD just doesn't get it, but luckily for her, she can fake it til she makes it or until she retires. Easily persuaded by those who can talk the talk but many of the employees who have been there for years is aware the MD has no idea what they do. It's really quite sad.

Inappropriate comments about people's style of dress is always made. Unless it is cleavage-baring tops or short shorts, etc. there is no right to comment on a person's style when you are no Coco Chanel. Yes, we all noticed at last year's Christmas party when we were asked to dress up, and someone came in jeans. Yep, that's the peron that gives us the known elevator look on our daily wear. Multiple comments are made about people's dress when in reality, it is just not her style. Perhaps paying your employees more if you are going to make unreasonable comments about style of dress. Telling an employee they cannot carry a fake purse is not constructive. Like I said, pay them more to get the real Gucci.

A lot of people would agree that the MD is on her own power trip. A rollover of 4 assistants in less than two years, and multiple talents (MBA & BA Graduates at Stanford, Harvard, UCSD, Columbia, Loyola Marymount, UCLA, CAL) in other departments who were smart & ambitious enough to leave or got pushed out by making their lives miserable. Yep, this is one class act.

Until I find something else, I'll just nod & kiss ass in our management meetings like the rest of us do until we find something else. When you ask aloud in Management meetings if the meeting was helpful, of course everyone is going to nod and say yes to your face. We have bills to pay. It's true what they say - people don't leave companies, they leave bosses.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a new MD that reflects the values of DFS - not one that fakes it. It would be great for the employees to rate the MD's performance anonymously because I can guarantee it would not be pretty.

open-minded management

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Singapore (Singapore)

ProsEnjoyable working environment and nice people

ConsNot much room for promotion as positions up there are stable

People company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosbig company with good exposure in international brands

Conspeople come and go in the company so fast

Advice to Senior Managementtalk to the staff, i mean SA

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good brand name in retail sector. Generally ok with some issues.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Singapore (Singapore)

Pros- Good brand name in retail sector. if you are furthering your career in retail, hospitality, sales, customer service etc, this name is instantly recognised and widely preferred.

- Wide range of luxury brands and you can get staff discount up to 40%. Frequent employee sales and back door promotions.

- Great colleagues in general but like other companies, there will be "challenging and difficult" colleagues that you have to take note of. There are cases like management's favourites or 'bootlickers' around.

- Good support for staffs in general. If you are a management trainee, you will receive alot of support but role is challenging.

Cons- Management is getting younger, inexperienced and not so competent. Many try to implement strategies and ideas just for show which might not be useful.

- Senior and experienced supervisory staffs are caught between general staffs and young management. Sometimes they have to appease young management at the expense of relationships with older non-management staffs.

- Used to promote staffs based on experience and abilities but seem to turn more to qualifications now.

Advice to Senior Management- Hire management and promote based on experience and abilities more, rather than focus on qualifications.

- Get young management to understand the grounds more.

- Take care of the team of senior and experienced supervisory staffs. They are an asset and know what they are doing. Sometimes, they do not dare to voice out because the young management is there and they know company focus more on the young management now.

Professional

Stock Handller (Current Employee) Barrigada, GU (US)

ProsPersonal visits from corporate, gifts/lunch from management, benefits, and incentives.

ConsPay is okay for any department you work in but the incentives make it work.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the morale!

great

ProsCompany is very great to work for

ConsI really cant say anything bad about this place

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Great people to work with

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsInternational experience, luxury brands, positive work environment, compensation

ConsSystems are antiquated, merchandising team is under resourced.

Excellent employer that delivers what it promises

Management Trainee (Former Employee) Honolulu, HI (US)

ProsStrong focus on development of staff in terms of skill sets and career progression. Great family environment to work in, where there is a strong emphasis on teamwork. Management walk the talk with their actions when it comes to practicing the 7 values of the company.

ConsIrregular hours unlike your usual 9-5, Monday to Friday work week. This means some personal sacrifices in terms your own social engagements will have to be made.

DFS Guam

Hard Worker (Former Employee) Tumon (Guam)

ProsIn the 90's in was a great place to work, senior management actually took the time to know the sales and support staff, the back bone of the company.
    Company match 401k
    Insurance was not bad price

ConsSince the 90'and to the present, yes, I have worked for DFS nearly 15 years, it has changed so much. Starting with the senior management/ executives (3rd floor) and down to the sales managers and TL's. More about " them" and less about then actual employees who do the job.
    Executives holiday parties to other islands, but set up as a "conference" all paid for by DFS.
    Bonus system is broken. 6 figures for some.. But most, meaning the hard workers, was only in the hundreds.
    Even heard they treat our troops unfairly after returning from deployments.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of some of the senior management who cost more to pay than what they actually produce for then company. Even with some of then mid level mangers, support and operations.
    Take care of the employees. Some of them have been there longer then all of you put together and have seen many, many "bosses " come through the doors of DFS. With big ideas, in reality they are just looking for their 6 figure end of the year bonus. Yes, most of the staff know about
    those outrageous bonuses. Why, Because they have worked for DFS for 10, 15, 20 years on island. Island Pride is Strong!

Former Employee

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Honolulu, HI (US)

Prosprofitable company! great benefits! great location!

ConsLow morale among staff due to management not working as a team.
    Management does not motivate staff. VeryTop Heavy.

Advice to Senior ManagementIF YOU CAN'T TREAT PEOPLE WELL, HOW DO EXPECT TO HAVE EXCEPTIONAL RESULTS.

Worked for DFS Group? Contribute to the Community!