DFS Group

DFS Group Reviews

Updated Apr 10, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

DFS Group Chairman, President, and CEO Ed Brennan Jr.

Ed Brennan Jr.

sales associate

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

Pros5 day work, 17 day public holiday, 10-15 day Annual Leave

ConsGet many opportunity to learn (the Product knowledge.....)

Smart People, Bad Culture

Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

I worked at DFS Group full-time for more than a year

ProsVery good pay and you get to work in an international capacity learning a lot about different markets and people from all over world.

ConsNo real culture. Poor communication from senior management. Atmosphere of "what have you done for me lately" and "cover your a$$" so there is little collaboration between parties and frequent in decision / lack of clarity. Overall its very negative atmosphere as people are overworked.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake a decision, communicate it, and then stick to it.

Big and established organisation

Business Analyst (Current Employee)
Singapore (Singapore)

I have been working at DFS Group full-time for more than a year

ProsEstablished with strong retail network and merchandising expertise

ConsIt is difficult to execute any changes without going through a big cycle and often, opportunities are missed.

DFS is a very good travel retail company

Senior Business Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at DFS Group full-time for more than 5 years

ProsDFS is a multi national company having exposure to Global Level and working with different group of global users

ConsPoor recognition for work & career growth due to top-down culture

Advice to Senior ManagementIt will be good to consider employee performance instead of relationship oriented culture

Unrealistic

Finance (Current Employee)

I have been working at DFS Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- good benefits for K-staff (Management)
- good bonus when company does well
- good and fun colleagues
- had a good company culture but that has changed in the last few years

Cons- No OT remuneration for Mgmt-staff, although OT is highly required
- Lots of unnecessary spending and cutting of budget/change of policies
- unrealistic goals and senior management

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring from outside. The changes to Snr Mgmt is causing a lot of discontent and unhappiness. During interview process, always highlighted that the company always "promotes from within".

Managing Director of NAM has absolutely no clue

Manager (Current Employee)
Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at DFS Group full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe overall company itself is great. Great employees worldwide. Great benefits.

ConsThe MD just doesn't get it, but luckily for her, she can fake it til she makes it or until she retires. Easily persuaded by those who can talk the talk but many of the employees who have been there for years is aware the MD has no idea what they do. It's really quite sad.

Inappropriate comments about people's style of dress is always made. Unless it is cleavage-baring tops or short shorts, etc. there is no right to comment on a person's style when you are no Coco Chanel. Yes, we all noticed at last year's Christmas party when we were asked to dress up, and someone came in jeans. Yep, that's the peron that gives us the known elevator look on our daily wear. Multiple comments are made about people's dress when in reality, it is just not her style. Perhaps paying your employees more if you are going to make unreasonable comments about style of dress. Telling an employee they cannot carry a fake purse is not constructive. Like I said, pay them more to get the real Gucci.

A lot of people would agree that the MD is on her own power trip. A rollover of 4 assistants in less than two years, and multiple talents (MBA & BA Graduates at Stanford, Harvard, UCSD, Columbia, Loyola Marymount, UCLA, CAL) in other departments who were smart & ambitious enough to leave or got pushed out by making their lives miserable. Yep, this is one class act.

Until I find something else, I'll just nod & kiss ass in our management meetings like the rest of us do until we find something else. When you ask aloud in Management meetings if the meeting was helpful, of course everyone is going to nod and say yes to your face. We have bills to pay. It's true what they say - people don't leave companies, they leave bosses.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a new MD that reflects the values of DFS - not one that fakes it. It would be great for the employees to rate the MD's performance anonymously because I can guarantee it would not be pretty.

People company

I worked at DFS Group full-time

Prosbig company with good exposure in international brands

Conspeople come and go in the company so fast

Advice to Senior Managementtalk to the staff, i mean SA

open-minded management

Singapore (Singapore)

I worked at DFS Group as an intern for less than a year

ProsEnjoyable working environment and nice people

ConsNot much room for promotion as positions up there are stable

Professional

Stock Handller (Current Employee)
Barrigada, GU (US)

I have been working at DFS Group full-time for less than a year

ProsPersonal visits from corporate, gifts/lunch from management, benefits, and incentives.

ConsPay is okay for any department you work in but the incentives make it work.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the morale!

Good brand name in retail sector. Generally ok with some issues.

I worked at DFS Group full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- Good brand name in retail sector. if you are furthering your career in retail, hospitality, sales, customer service etc, this name is instantly recognised and widely preferred.

- Wide range of luxury brands and you can get staff discount up to 40%. Frequent employee sales and back door promotions.

- Great colleagues in general but like other companies, there will be "challenging and difficult" colleagues that you have to take note of. There are cases like management's favourites or 'bootlickers' around.

- Good support for staffs in general. If you are a management trainee, you will receive alot of support but role is challenging.

Cons- Management is getting younger, inexperienced and not so competent. Many try to implement strategies and ideas just for show which might not be useful.

- Senior and experienced supervisory staffs are caught between general staffs and young management. Sometimes they have to appease young management at the expense of relationships with older non-management staffs.

- Used to promote staffs based on experience and abilities but seem to turn more to qualifications now.

Advice to Senior Management- Hire management and promote based on experience and abilities more, rather than focus on qualifications.

- Get young management to understand the grounds more.

- Take care of the team of senior and experienced supervisory staffs. They are an asset and know what they are doing. Sometimes, they do not dare to voice out because the young management is there and they know company focus more on the young management now.

Worked for DFS Group? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at DFS Group reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for DFS Group CEO Ed Brennan Jr.. All 29 reviews are posted anonymously by DFS Group employees.