DISH

2,000 Reviews

DISH Director, President and CEO Joseph Clayton
Joseph Clayton
1,274 Ratings

Pros
  • Pay is good for these parts, especially if you stick with it for a few years (in 86 reviews)

• Good work life balance: people in our office arrive around 10am and leave by 7pm (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Management uses strong arm tactics while telling you about work/life balance (in 49 reviews)

• Upper management don't keep to their word, will Lie thru their teeth in your face (in 110 reviews)

More Highlights

Worst company ever

Current Employee - FSS I in Maryland
    Current Employee - FSS I in Maryland

I have been working at DISH full-time (less than a year)

Pros

It's better than unemployment. Maybe

Cons

Well when first read all the reviews here I thought maybe there just disgruntled workers. Well I am still an active employee 3 months strong and trying to get the hell away from dish. Everything you read is true. The pay is low , the work is dangerous but the company always cover themselves so you can't sue. Want example you say? Ok here it goes! As a field tech we are not allowed to go on roofs to place a dish. Hmmm geese seem to me all the dishes are where? You co-workers are essentially useless there under so much pressure from there metric that they can't help if you need it. Ok my supervisor say you can't go beyond fss4 unless you have a degree well most people don't get to fss2. Here's why. You have to get a 10 on your customer satisfaction surveys there are so many variables,with that it not even funny.mif the customer has a bad experience with customer service before you get there guess what your rating is gonna be. Next one, Internet connectivity. You must connect all there mpeg 4 equipment to the Internet so customers can get there on demand. Lets think about that, I am always in low income neighborhoods they barely can afford the cable most don't have phones or computers so no connectivity for me, or there the person who just uses a hotspot and refuses to run up there data plan for a cable box, moving on , trouble calls. If a customer call for any reason this is my favorite the tv is on the wrong input, you are charged with the trouble but the reasons vary. Some are the techs fault but usually the customer just wants more for less. Then points per hour well since the customer service department is so crappy to not only the customers but the techs. They usually get a customer off the phone as quickly as possible to meet there call quota. What this mean is very inaccurate orders. The is given point based on what the customer orders. So when you show up thinking your going to a 2 room install and it's more like 6 you get the same points. Lastly this no raises if you are failing any part of this. So we have guys there which is all except 5 people . Who are still tech 1. That's right no raise or cost of living increase. The benefits are a joke 1,250 copayment for single. Then most of the procedures are only covered at 20percent up to 10,000. With wife or husband that copayment jumps to 2,500 and pretty the same coverage. So healthcare is a joke here. Well that's it for now but I will continue to update 3/26/2013

They won't listen. They are winning. Divide and conquer

Use you up and throw you away

Former Employee - Director in Denver, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Director in Denver, CO (US)

I worked at DISH full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great co-workers. Truly high talent at all levels below VP. Fun department but under appreciated by the corporation because we do the unglamorous work of shipping and recovering receivers.

Cons

Tenure counts for nothing. Automaton, micromanager boss decides you're no longer an agent for change and over a decade of above and beyond service is down the drain.

Value your employees as something more than pieces in a game.

Dissatisfied

Current Employee - Tester in Spartanburg, SC (US)
    Current Employee - Tester in Spartanburg, SC (US)

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They finally raised the pay scale. Job well done on that. They have taken steps to attempt to make changes for the better.

Cons

Management is very poor. Separate rules for each shift. No one seems to have any answers to any questions on night shift. Right hand doesn't seem to know what the left hand is doing. Very hard for some to move with in the company. I have had much better benefits with other companies. I, as well as others would like to see medical benefits with a small copay for doctor visits an prescriptions. I personally can not afford to use the insurance with the huge deductible we have.

All shifts need to get on the same page. They need to listen to their employees concerns more instead of just blowing us off. There have been numerous safety concerns brought up but they blow it off and don't take the employees concerns to heart.

Started off good

I have been working at DISH

Pros

Employee appreciation Nice attendance policy!

Cons

You have to kiss management butt to be someone. I even see my supervisor still kissing butt.

I love this place!

I have been working at DISH

Pros

The environment is great, the pay is pretty good.

Cons

Hard to move up passed a supervisor...

Get a degree.

" Loved My Job At Dish "Laid Me Off, After Almost 9 Years" Field Service Manager

Former Employee - Field Service Manager in Phila, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Field Service Manager in Phila, PA (US)

I worked at DISH full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good Company to work, I would guess depending on what your position. Great co-workers. Like most jobs, you get out of the job, what you put in, decent salary..bonuses for top performance.

Cons

For me, there were no cons, I put my heart into Dish for over 8 years and was Laid Off, said they were restructuring. Lead my team in Sales and most metrics for almost 2 years and they told me, it was my past performance before that. Really 3 years ago..I just didn't understand where that came from...Since Dish recently restructured upper management" they got rid of the GM positions across the board, so in my particular office the GM was offered the Operations Manager position and the Operations Manager was offered the Field Service position, which they both accepted...so manager ended up being bump down to a Field Service Manager almost 2 months before I was laid off , so I should have seen the writing on the wall.. I wasn't even going to post this review but glasdoor wouldn't let me continue to look at other job posting reviews, till I did.

I think Dish is really headed in the right direction, I just wish upper management would have offered me a position, even if it were a notch below, what I was doing...instead of just throwing me out, after 8 plus years of service...God Bless

Overqualified, but no one cares.

Current Employee - Field Service Specialist III in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Field Service Specialist III in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

All fellow Dish employees will agree that the Free TOP 250 package is our biggest perk working here. Our second is the employee stock purchase plan (ESPP); which allows you to purchase DISH stock at an immediate 15% discount. Lastly, working a four day work week is envied by many of my 8-5 m-f friends.

Unfortunately, as a technician we only get a $2000 / year educational reimbursement. Managers get a $4000 / year reimbursement. Someone in benefits needs to address this misalignment with today's educational costs and the need to groom smart talent from within.

Speaking from a stockholder's perspective, Dish is doing many things right. We held
    over $20 million is cash reserves, purchased spectrums that will allow us to further grow our business in both wireless and data, and continue to win CES awards for product innovation.

In addition, since I was employed throughout the 2008 financial crisis because so many others were home watching TV and unemployed, I consider this a personalized "pro" for working here.

Cons

There are two types of people who work for DISH. There are those that feel they are lucky to be employed, and those that are looking for a better job elsewhere.

The unspoken truth is that an installation technician is now a revenue source for Dish and will continue to have additional roles without an increase in pay.Think part salesmen, part satellite tech, part in-home-service. (That would be counter productive to their new source of increased profit.)

Try and groom from within. Properly compensate employees(technicians) that caused the majority of 2014's profit growth. Although from a business perspective it makes sense to fire your highest paid front line employees just to rehire lower paid ones, it created a culture of distrust and lack of motivation to reach higher. There continues to be a feeling of job uncertainty, especially since technicians are now your sales people have have quotas.

Great

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Tucson, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Tucson, AZ (US)

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Everything is great. I really like everything. Everything is fun and couldn't be better. Everyone should work here because it's great

Cons

Nothing is bad here because everything is great. Like I said before, everyone should work here because it's so much fun. You work hard and make money

Great place to work, so long as you are willing to work

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I LOVE coming to work every day because every day is new and challenging. I used to work for a company where I would sit around and watch youtube all day because of how dead and slow it was. When things were busy it was great, but once you got into your groove it was very boring without any challenge. Dish is not like that. I have not had a single day where I did not have at least 8 hours worth of work to be done. Yes it is stressful. Yes it is difficult. Yes it is challenging. If you want an easy job where you don't have anything to do, Dish is not the company for you. Dish will provide a great pay but in return they ask you to not only do the job you were hired to do, but to be the best at it. People like to say they "give their all" or they "like a challenge", working for Dish will prove if you are all talk or if you really do believe that. DIsh is certainly not a company for everyone as well. I really appreciate just how honest this environment can be, and yes that means you do have to wear a thick skin. However, that honesty, at times can be hard to hear, drives me to be better every single day. When I do exceptional work, I receive praise. When I don't live up to the expectation I receive honest and direct feedback. If you are the type that can not handle honest and open feedback and use it as a tool to be better, this likely is not a great company for you. Again, many people say they like honest and open feedback, but this company will hold you accountable to see if you really do want that or if you are just using a catch phrase.

Cons

I am not in love with the benefits. Yes I am covered if something does happen to me, but it is expensive. I was spoiled with my wife's benefits as they would have been considered "phenominal" by anyone's standards. Dish has a medical plan that is pretty middle of the road. For where I live, it's cheaper and better than the marketplace, but I do expect more out of a company this size. I also am not a fan of how time away from work is treated. I would prefer to have just a set number of paid days that I can take for any reason, personal or otherwise. Instead there is paid time off and sick time. Paid time does not carry over year to year (frustrating) and 40 hours of sick time does. With this structure, I feel obligated to take all of my paid time off each year, whether I want to or not (not going to throw it away) and I will make sure I only have 40 hours of sick time to carry over...so again whether I need to or not, I will take sick days. In previous employment enviornments I have found that providing a more flexible time away from work plan, the employee's tend to be happier, more productive and less deceptive about why they need time off. Many studies do show that work forces do benefit from a flexible time away from work plan.

I would love to see a complete overhaul of our benefits program. I addressed most of the concerns in the "cons" section. Also, in the last 3 years I have heard "we need to trust our management team to manage". We have spent a substantial amount of money investing in the development of our management force, yet I have not seen much in the way of cutting down the beauracracy and red tape of approvals to get anything done.