DISH Reviews

1,753 Reviews

DISH Director, President and CEO Joseph Clayton
Joseph Clayton
1,121 Ratings

Pros
  • Pay is good for these parts, especially if you stick with it for a few years (in 72 reviews)

• Good work life balance: people in our office arrive around 10am and leave by 7pm (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • As far as the work life balance they change schedules dissolve schedules for all types of reasons (in 40 reviews)

• Unless your friends with upper management, you have no chance of advancement (in 100 reviews)

More Highlights

Worst company ever

Current Employee - FSS I  in  Maryland
    Current Employee - FSS I in Maryland

I have been working at DISH full-time for less than a year

Pros

It's better than unemployment. Maybe

Cons

Well when first read all the reviews here I thought maybe there just disgruntled workers. Well I am still an active employee 3 months strong and trying to get the hell away from dish. Everything you read is true. The pay is low , the work is dangerous but the company always cover themselves so you can't sue. Want example you say? Ok here it goes! As a field tech we are not allowed to go on roofs to place a dish. Hmmm geese seem to me all the dishes are where? You co-workers are essentially useless there under so much pressure from there metric that they can't help if you need it. Ok my supervisor say you can't go beyond fss4 unless you have a degree well most people don't get to fss2. Here's why. You have to get a 10 on your customer satisfaction surveys there are so many variables,with that it not even funny.mif the customer has a bad experience with customer service before you get there guess what your rating is gonna be. Next one, Internet connectivity. You must connect all there mpeg 4 equipment to the Internet so customers can get there on demand. Lets think about that, I am always in low income neighborhoods they barely can afford the cable most don't have phones or computers so no connectivity for me, or there the person who just uses a hotspot and refuses to run up there data plan for a cable box, moving on , trouble calls. If a customer call for any reason this is my favorite the tv is on the wrong input, you are charged with the trouble but the reasons vary. Some are the techs fault but usually the customer just wants more for less. Then points per hour well since the customer service department is so crappy to not only the customers but the techs. They usually get a customer off the phone as quickly as possible to meet there call quota. What this mean is very inaccurate orders. The is given point based on what the customer orders. So when you show up thinking your going to a 2 room install and it's more like 6 you get the same points. Lastly this no raises if you are failing any part of this. So we have guys there which is all except 5 people . Who are still tech 1. That's right no raise or cost of living increase. The benefits are a joke 1,250 copayment for single. Then most of the procedures are only covered at 20percent up to 10,000. With wife or husband that copayment jumps to 2,500 and pretty the same coverage. So healthcare is a joke here. Well that's it for now but I will continue to update 3/26/2013

They won't listen. They are winning. Divide and conquer

Has been a great company to work for.

I have been working at DISH

Pros

Great pay....easy job and great bonus monthly. Also..our site manager has been tremendous to our success. I can honestly say if it wasnt for him and his great work ethics..I would not be where I'm at today.

Cons

No conns for me...You can't expect to work for a place with no obstcales... Make you own path to success and be the solution..stop complaining to stand up and say something if you dont like it.

Understand your role and understand how you got there. One thing I would say for them is...would you be a coach and want to work for yourself? If so then keep doing what your doing...if not begin to work on yourself before your work on others.

Dish Network As a Whole

Current Employee - Dish Tech l  in  Tulsa, OK (US)
    Current Employee - Dish Tech l in Tulsa, OK (US)

I have been working at DISH full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good people and good benefits. I have no complaint about anybody that keeps you busy and helps me keep my family fed and housed. Dish treats me fairly and compensates based on what I give back in performance. I couldn't ask for any better. Every company has rules put in place to protect you and them, Dish is no different. Work is for those who want to work.

Cons

I cannot at this time think of anything that would require a negative comment about Dish. They are in line with any corporation or company in business today that is customer driven and based on home installs in regards to policies and rules for safety and quality.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

My experience as a summer intern with DISH.

Former Employee - Program Manager  in  Englewood, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Englewood, CO (US)

I worked at DISH as an intern for less than a year

Pros

DISH has a great company culture in a very exciting industry. I enjoyed the people that I worked with a lot and thought that upper management did a lot to make working at DISH fun and exciting.

Cons

Work-life balance can be a little lopsided at times but most of the time that is dictated by how efficient you are at managing your time and getting your work done during the day.

I hope management continues to improve upon what they are doing with their attempts to increase their employees experience working at DISH (i.e. World Cup celebrations, summer concerts, 14er hikes, etc.).

Best job that I've ever had!

Current Employee - Customer Service Supervisor
    Current Employee - Customer Service Supervisor

I have been working at DISH full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Everyone is great to work with. The site is full of energy, laughter and over all fun. The Director and SOM/ management staff are super friendly.

Cons

I don't have any issues with the company. There might be some changes here and there but what company doesn't go through them.

Keep up the great work. Let's keep getting closer to our goals and succeed.

I have really enjoyed the large impact of the decisions I make and I work with some great people.

Current Employee - Financial Analyst  in  Denver, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Denver, CO (US)

I have been working at DISH full-time for more than a year

Pros

Get to be one of the main decision makers on initiatives that have multi-million dollar impacts. The hours are very standard and are usually flexible.

Cons

The compensation is not the best. I could go somewhere else and immediately be making more. I also do not feel that the management realizes the value of their employees sometime, but this is starting to improve.

There needs to be a more realistic view on compensation for top employees if you expect to retain them.

Great place to work

I have been working at DISH full-time for more than a year

Pros

There's always something to do.
    Room for advancement.
    Every one works together.
    Even upper management tends to help out from time to time.

Cons

I really don't have any cons. I enjoy what I do. The only thing I can think of if there full time hours for the warehouse team and perks like the techs tend to get

Opportunity

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative Ll  in  Thornton, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative Ll in Thornton, CO (US)

I have been working at DISH full-time for more than a year

Pros

Dish hires several times throughout the year. They have a good starting wage. If you are not an attendance issue and have a good attitude you can advance to various depts. They also have tuition reimbursement for most courses. I've been at dish more that a year and can honestly say that for a call center environment it one of the better ones.

Cons

You dont always have a say as to what training you get picked for. The goal is to be upwardly mobile and not everyone has this objective. There are round tables to get info on procedure but rarely do we see changes implemented from the round table suggestions. However, this may be Web because I have not been there long enough.

Sometimes training op's are used as interview tools and perhaps a probationary period might be a more effective way of evaluating.

Overall good experience

I have been working at DISH full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

-Great place to start your career
    -Career growth
    -Dish receiver beta test: If you enroll in the beta test program so will enjoy free TV with the latest receiver on the market
    -Challenging job and never boring

Cons

-Travel policy: Dish doesn't provide you with a credit card for travel expenses, you need to pay for the whole trip (except air fare) and then you will get reimbursed. Also, if more than 4 people travel to the same place you will need to share a room, sometimes you will need to share it with people who you have never meet, this is very uncomfortable. If you wish to stay on your own room then you will need to pay 50% of the total cost (this is not reimbursable).

-Annual performance review: It’s pretty much a competition with your peers and based on the size of your team only 1-2 people will receive a merit pay increase (3% max). So you could have done a great job and met expectations but it doesn't mean you will get a merit increase, I have had many reviews where my manager has told me that I did a great job but my pay increase was 0%. When you do get a merit increase most likely you will not have another one for the next 2 years simple because it’s someone else's turn, at least there’s a rotation so that everybody gets one.

-Salary: There’s always a discrepancy between HQ and other sites, in HQ the salary is always high compared to other cities, you could expect it if the cost of living in HQ is higher but unfortunately it is not the case. Also, in many cases in the same location a level 2, senior level and manager could have the same salary, this had lead to employee turnover, Dish experiences this lot, a lot. I've seen many great employees leave the company because they get another that pays 25% more (in the same city) doing the same job.

-Job promotion: It's very typical that when you get promoted that you don't get a salary increase, rather you do the job for one year and then you get a salary increase.

HR is looking at these reviews almost at a daily basis and sometimes based on the context of your comments it’s very easy to find out who wrote them and some retaliation could exist. This idea is always present on the employees specially when filling out surveys.

Fast Paced and have to learn on the fly.

I have been working at DISH for more than a year

Pros

A Company that you can make a name for yourself. It is always changing and never gets boring.

Cons

It is always changing and sometimes sends mixed messages.

I think time should be spent to train the managers to be more effective. Leadership and mentoring of mangers would make this a much stronger company.

Worked for DISH? Contribute to the Community!