DISH

1,879 Reviews

DISH Director, President and CEO Joseph Clayton
Joseph Clayton
1,207 Ratings

Pros
  • Pay is good for these parts, especially if you stick with it for a few years (in 86 reviews)

• Good work life balance: people in our office arrive around 10am and leave by 7pm (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Management uses strong arm tactics while telling you about work/life balance (in 49 reviews)

• Upper management don't keep to their word, will Lie thru their teeth in your face (in 110 reviews)

More Highlights

Worst company ever

Current Employee - FSS I in Maryland
    Current Employee - FSS I in Maryland

I have been working at DISH full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It's better than unemployment. Maybe

Cons

Well when first read all the reviews here I thought maybe there just disgruntled workers. Well I am still an active employee 3 months strong and trying to get the hell away from dish. Everything you read is true. The pay is low , the work is dangerous but the company always cover themselves so you can't sue. Want example you say? Ok here it goes! As a field tech we are not allowed to go on roofs to place a dish. Hmmm geese seem to me all the dishes are where? You co-workers are essentially useless there under so much pressure from there metric that they can't help if you need it. Ok my supervisor say you can't go beyond fss4 unless you have a degree well most people don't get to fss2. Here's why. You have to get a 10 on your customer satisfaction surveys there are so many variables,with that it not even funny.mif the customer has a bad experience with customer service before you get there guess what your rating is gonna be. Next one, Internet connectivity. You must connect all there mpeg 4 equipment to the Internet so customers can get there on demand. Lets think about that, I am always in low income neighborhoods they barely can afford the cable most don't have phones or computers so no connectivity for me, or there the person who just uses a hotspot and refuses to run up there data plan for a cable box, moving on , trouble calls. If a customer call for any reason this is my favorite the tv is on the wrong input, you are charged with the trouble but the reasons vary. Some are the techs fault but usually the customer just wants more for less. Then points per hour well since the customer service department is so crappy to not only the customers but the techs. They usually get a customer off the phone as quickly as possible to meet there call quota. What this mean is very inaccurate orders. The is given point based on what the customer orders. So when you show up thinking your going to a 2 room install and it's more like 6 you get the same points. Lastly this no raises if you are failing any part of this. So we have guys there which is all except 5 people . Who are still tech 1. That's right no raise or cost of living increase. The benefits are a joke 1,250 copayment for single. Then most of the procedures are only covered at 20percent up to 10,000. With wife or husband that copayment jumps to 2,500 and pretty the same coverage. So healthcare is a joke here. Well that's it for now but I will continue to update 3/26/2013

They won't listen. They are winning. Divide and conquer

Mixed Bag

Current Employee - Program Manager in Englewood, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Englewood, CO (US)

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Mid-level leadership has improved in the last couple years, and the employees are generally good people. There is opportunity to grow a career and work on really exciting projects with little past experience.

Cons

Badge report is back! No matter how many 60 hour work weeks you put in expect to be lambasted endlessly for coming in after 9 regardless of the reason why.

Emancipate yourselves from Charlie, make real decisions about the quality of life you're providing for employees and allow lower level managers to make decisions. Stop castrating your frontline management staff, as only the best of them will take the blame in front of their employees.

Good place to get your foot in the door for this type of work.

Current Employee - Field Service Specialist I in Milwaukee, WI (US)
    Current Employee - Field Service Specialist I in Milwaukee, WI (US)

I have been working at DISH full-time (less than an year)

Pros

4 days on 3 days off work schedule (except in the summer with mandatory overtime 5 on 2 off.) Plenty of money to make with this company. Incentive plan setup to give bonuses to you for performing well $50 to $350 extra per paycheck for exceptional performance. Selling products at appointments can earn you points to purchase anything from tv's to vacations.

Cons

At times the stress level is outrageous especially when you are new. Sometimes the workload will have you coming home very late. If there are problems that arise at a job it could mean that you will be there a lot longer than you wanted/were given time for. If customers cancel the appointment instead of rescheduling if will probably affect the amount of bonus you are going to get. (There is a completion rate that is expected for jobs and depending on the reason for not completing the job your numbers may be affected greatly sharply declining that bonus incentive.)

I think it would be a good idea to have technicians work in pairs sometimes, especially for big jobs. Many times I worked long hours because I was by myself but with a second person we could have finished the job in half the time.

Great company to gain valuable skills and knowledge of the industry.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Littleton, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Littleton, CO (US)

I have been working at DISH

Pros

Impressive training courses, great benefits, extra pay incentives for performance, and team oriented atmosphere focused on success. Fantastic company to work for, I thoroughly enjoyed my training with Matt R. at the Riverfront-Littleton, CO location. He gave me all the tools and knowledge I need for personal and professional success. I have never worked for a company with such friendly and knowledgeable employees, and I believe those that complain about this company do not invest in their own success and therefore are not rewarded by the company. Put in the effort and the company will take care of you, and reward you for your work.

Cons

There are many challenges to overcome on a daily basis, the interview and training process can become overwhelming, and there is not much available time to complete all necessary tasks. With good time management and organization these obstacles are easily overcome.

I would advise management to offer more one-on-one training opportunities to the employees that may struggle in certain areas as well as less restriction on the time taken between calls while working on issues of customer service (updating memos, etc.) but overall it's a good company to work for.

Was very interesting work experience. Traveled across the country and met new people .

I worked at DISH full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It was a great experience right after the college. Great atmosphere and work environment.

Cons

Hiring process was tooooo long. It took forever for HR people to move application forward.

Keep doing the great job and look for recent college grads.

Nice opportunities but no work-life balance

Current Employee - Senior Analyst Developer in Englewood, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst Developer in Englewood, CO (US)

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

you get good people, some new things happening, lot of opportunities to learn and grow, new & latest technologies to work at.

Cons

no work-life balance, pay doesn't compare to long hours you need to work, management want you to work like 10+ hours a day for the pay of 8 with you not asking for any time off and extra pay. Management are hard and force their policies on you. Management don't keep their promises. they expect you do work like a manager/senior while paying you a junior employee salary.

Start listening to your employees please. If you promise them promotions or something, provide that. don't lie through your teeth. if you are paying somebody for a junior developer, don't expect them to handle responsibilities of a senior employee.

Good Learning company

I worked at DISH

Pros

very structured, room for growth

Cons

always striving for employees to do more with less time, quality and customer service suffered

Enjoyed my peers

Former Employee - Inventory Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT (US)
    Former Employee - Inventory Specialist in Salt Lake City, UT (US)

I worked at DISH part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I enjoyed the people that I worked with and the wage given was really great.

Cons

Only would give warehouse part time hours. The upper management seemed to rule by fear and that just trickled down through all levels. Not very good communication.

Very demanding work and constant staff reductions

Current Employee - Inventory Specialist
    Current Employee - Inventory Specialist

I have been working at DISH

Pros

Challenging work, kept busy most of the time, ability to work alone

Cons

Constant reduction of support staff and even management. Upper management is clueless on the day to day requirements imposed on people. Medical benefits are average at best

Learn what you people do and how long it takes to do it... Show some loyalty to people.

Great company in the early 2000's, great opportunity to advance.

Former Employee - Regional Operations in Denver, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Regional Operations in Denver, CO (US)

I worked at DISH full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

I rose from install tech up through regional management and had many great leaders during my career.

Cons

The company has lost site of the value of its people, and instead of the focus being on making people successful so that in turn the company is, the focus has turned to all about numbers.

Find the balance, people matter, all the talk in the world about people doesn't make up for the lack of focus on them.