DISH Reviews

1,765 Reviews

DISH Director, President and CEO Joseph Clayton
Joseph Clayton
1,133 Ratings

Pros
  • Pay is good for these parts, especially if you stick with it for a few years (in 77 reviews)

• Good work life balance: people in our office arrive around 10am and leave by 7pm (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Management uses strong arm tactics while telling you about work/life balance (in 44 reviews)

• Upper management don't keep to their word, will Lie thru their teeth in your face (in 107 reviews)

More Highlights

Worst company ever

Current Employee - FSS I  in  Maryland
    Current Employee - FSS I in Maryland

I have been working at DISH full-time for less than a year

Pros

It's better than unemployment. Maybe

Cons

Well when first read all the reviews here I thought maybe there just disgruntled workers. Well I am still an active employee 3 months strong and trying to get the hell away from dish. Everything you read is true. The pay is low , the work is dangerous but the company always cover themselves so you can't sue. Want example you say? Ok here it goes! As a field tech we are not allowed to go on roofs to place a dish. Hmmm geese seem to me all the dishes are where? You co-workers are essentially useless there under so much pressure from there metric that they can't help if you need it. Ok my supervisor say you can't go beyond fss4 unless you have a degree well most people don't get to fss2. Here's why. You have to get a 10 on your customer satisfaction surveys there are so many variables,with that it not even funny.mif the customer has a bad experience with customer service before you get there guess what your rating is gonna be. Next one, Internet connectivity. You must connect all there mpeg 4 equipment to the Internet so customers can get there on demand. Lets think about that, I am always in low income neighborhoods they barely can afford the cable most don't have phones or computers so no connectivity for me, or there the person who just uses a hotspot and refuses to run up there data plan for a cable box, moving on , trouble calls. If a customer call for any reason this is my favorite the tv is on the wrong input, you are charged with the trouble but the reasons vary. Some are the techs fault but usually the customer just wants more for less. Then points per hour well since the customer service department is so crappy to not only the customers but the techs. They usually get a customer off the phone as quickly as possible to meet there call quota. What this mean is very inaccurate orders. The is given point based on what the customer orders. So when you show up thinking your going to a 2 room install and it's more like 6 you get the same points. Lastly this no raises if you are failing any part of this. So we have guys there which is all except 5 people . Who are still tech 1. That's right no raise or cost of living increase. The benefits are a joke 1,250 copayment for single. Then most of the procedures are only covered at 20percent up to 10,000. With wife or husband that copayment jumps to 2,500 and pretty the same coverage. So healthcare is a joke here. Well that's it for now but I will continue to update 3/26/2013

They won't listen. They are winning. Divide and conquer

It is a great place to work, for people willing to put in actual work

I have been working at DISH full-time for more than a year

Pros

Dish is a company that is fast paced and hard charging. It has an EXCELLENT track record of identifying hard working employees and rewards them. I have been with Dish for almost 3 years, and in the time I have been here we have undergone massive cultural shifts. Dish is identifying opportunities for improvement and working diligently to improve the employee experience. Dish is a company that is good for people looking for a career and not afraid to work their tail off, do that and you are rewarded. I have a family and so long as I focus on work, while at work I have plenty of free time to spend with my family because I don't have to worry about taking the job home with me. I receive timely and quality feedback, I am paid a fair wage and I get to be part of an organization that mirrors my values.

Cons

The company can be abrasive at times, but ultimately this is something I LOVE about the company. If you can't handle the honest truth about your performance at work then you don't need to work here. You are held accountable for results and if you don't deliver then yes the company takes action against you, this doesn't seem to sit well with a lot of people.

Continue to make improvements and effect change for employees as you have done over the last 2 years. This is a good company that embraces good values such as a strong work ethic. Don't ever lose sight of that.

Not bad for low requirements

Current Employee - Field Service Manager  in  Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Field Service Manager in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at DISH full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

3 day weekend, other than health insurance, the benefits are good, take advantage of the tuition reimbursement program, especially if you are young.

Cons

Pressure, lots of pressure, hope you are good at saving money, the $5000 deductible is steep if you need medical help. Insurance doesn't cover a penny until after you meet your deductible.

Change the insurance to something that we can afford to use, it is a joke currently. If you are worried about cost, I'd pay twice the amount for regular insurance where if I go to the doctor I pay $20 and for the hospital $100, I would provably go to the doctor more often and this would lead to healthier employees.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Test Engineer Intern

I have been working at DISH

Pros

Lots of hands on experience, the people are great, great moving forward mentality

Cons

Company gossip, nothing else to say for a con

Best job that I've ever had!

Current Employee - Customer Service Supervisor
    Current Employee - Customer Service Supervisor

I have been working at DISH full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Everyone is great to work with. The site is full of energy, laughter and over all fun. The Director and SOM/ management staff are super friendly.

Cons

I don't have any issues with the company. There might be some changes here and there but what company doesn't go through them.

Keep up the great work. Let's keep getting closer to our goals and succeed.

A patchwork of rules for evaluating cases

Former Employee - Operations Analyst I  in  Englewood, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Operations Analyst I in Englewood, CO (US)

I worked at DISH full-time for less than a year

Pros

Paid training on the job. Satisfying hours, occasional bursts of overtime. Good people to work with, at least those I shared a level with.

Cons

Training was somewhat reluctant, from a coworker and with next to no documentation. Apply a patchwork of rules, get judged while still encountering new cases.

Consider implementing a stronger training regimen

Full of highs and lows, a good place to start out but probably not worth it long term

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Littleton, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Littleton, CO (US)

I have been working at DISH full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Dish is genuine with their commitment to diversity hiring. My coworkers have ranged from 18-70 years old, every ethnicity is represented, they hire people with disabilities, people who speak English as a second language, and lots of people in the LGBT community.

While the starting pay at the call center is only $11/hr, you can make a lot more if you make the monthly pay-for-performance bonus. It's not as hard to earn as some of the other reviews make it seem if you're an honest and hard worker, though are definitely months when you'll get unlucky with a key metric and lose it all.

Free TV and discounts on internet service if you're in their service area.

There is a lot of opportunity to move up or move laterally to other departments.

While the dress code is business casual, it's pretty lax - you can get away with street clothes, tattoos, piercing.

Managers are approachable. The attitude of the management at Dish is generally upbeat and positive.

There's a lot of job security if you're a lower-level employee - you pretty much have to stop showing up or be terrible at your job to get fired.

The GM William Conner genuinely cares about his employees, works with people having personal difficulties, does everything he can to avoid letting people go, and takes a personal interest in people. If you've worked there for more than a year he probably knows your name. He encourages his employees to participate in charitable activities.

There are always fun sales contests going on, lots of goodies and giveaways and fun activities designed to keep morale up.

Cons

Taking calls all day long is hard work already, made much harder by the tight rules regarding how much time you are allowed to spend not taking calls. Basically you're on the phone all day long unless you're on a break. If there is downtime, agents are given the option to take extended breaks or clock out early, but this is unpaid. There is often pressure from management to work overtime when a high amount of calls are expected.

The culture in the call center can feel a lot like high school. It's very clique-y, lots of rumors and drama. There's a serious lack of professionalism, maturity and personal accountability. The facility is run down despite a recent renovation because of lack of respect the employees have for their workplace - broken chairs everywhere, desks with graffiti on them, scratched up computer screens. You can expect to have items taken from your desk and have your lunch stolen unless you take precautions.

While there are lots of opportunity for growth, going into a supervisory role means taking on a high-stress, high-pressure salaried position where you'll be overworked (and until recently, underpaid). The threat of being fired or demoted in a higher level position is always there.

Benefits are terrible. There is one option for health insurance and it has a massive deductible.

Frequent policy changes mean you're constantly relearning your job and held accountable for being on top of all those changes. The company goes through major restructuring about once a year that involves mass firing of managers. Positions or sometimes entire departments get moved around or eliminated.

Communication is a major problem. Agents are left in the dark with regard to what agents in other departments can or cannot do which is a constant source of conflict and blame-gaming. Products and services get launched and announced to the public before employees are trained on them or sometimes before they are even aware that it's happening. While the information resources are pretty good and improving, there is still way to much reliance on "unwritten rules" and vague ideas on what policy is. It's not uncommon for a customer to ask a question that nobody can answer.

Fix the communication problems - have more transparency between departments, cross-train employees, and make sure all employees who need to know are informed and properly trained before making public announcements or launching new products.

Give more options for medical benefits. Your lower level employees can't afford a $2500 deductible.

While I generally agree with the direction he's taken the company in, the CEO Joe Clayton sometimes makes inappropriate political and religious commentary in announcements that go out to every employee. Not everyone who works at Dish is Christian or Republican.

I have really enjoyed the large impact of the decisions I make and I work with some great people.

Current Employee - Financial Analyst  in  Denver, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Denver, CO (US)

I have been working at DISH full-time for more than a year

Pros

Get to be one of the main decision makers on initiatives that have multi-million dollar impacts. The hours are very standard and are usually flexible.

Cons

The compensation is not the best. I could go somewhere else and immediately be making more. I also do not feel that the management realizes the value of their employees sometime, but this is starting to improve.

There needs to be a more realistic view on compensation for top employees if you expect to retain them.

Opportunity

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative Ll  in  Thornton, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative Ll in Thornton, CO (US)

I have been working at DISH full-time for more than a year

Pros

Dish hires several times throughout the year. They have a good starting wage. If you are not an attendance issue and have a good attitude you can advance to various depts. They also have tuition reimbursement for most courses. I've been at dish more that a year and can honestly say that for a call center environment it one of the better ones.

Cons

You dont always have a say as to what training you get picked for. The goal is to be upwardly mobile and not everyone has this objective. There are round tables to get info on procedure but rarely do we see changes implemented from the round table suggestions. However, this may be Web because I have not been there long enough.

Sometimes training op's are used as interview tools and perhaps a probationary period might be a more effective way of evaluating.

Great place to work

I have been working at DISH full-time for more than a year

Pros

There's always something to do.
    Room for advancement.
    Every one works together.
    Even upper management tends to help out from time to time.

Cons

I really don't have any cons. I enjoy what I do. The only thing I can think of if there full time hours for the warehouse team and perks like the techs tend to get

Worked for DISH? Contribute to the Community!