DISH

2.5 1,672 reviews

DISH Director, President and CEO Joseph Clayton

Joseph Clayton

(1,068 ratings)

Pros
  • Pay is good for these parts, especially if you stick with it for a few years (in 72 reviews)

• Good work life balance: people in our office arrive around 10am and leave by 7pm (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • As far as the work life balance they change schedules dissolve schedules for all types of reasons (in 40 reviews)

• Unless your friends with upper management, you have no chance of advancement (in 100 reviews)

More Highlights
1,672 Employee Reviews

Worst company ever

FSS I (Current Employee) Maryland

ProsIt's better than unemployment. Maybe

ConsWell when first read all the reviews here I thought maybe there just disgruntled workers. Well I am still an active employee 3 months strong and trying to get the hell away from dish. Everything you read is true. The pay is low , the work is dangerous but the company always cover themselves so you can't sue. Want example you say? Ok here it goes! As a field tech we are not allowed to go on roofs to place a dish. Hmmm geese seem to me all the dishes are where? You co-workers are essentially useless there under so much pressure from there metric that they can't help if you need it. Ok my supervisor say you can't go beyond fss4 unless you have a degree well most people don't get to fss2. Here's why. You have to get a 10 on your customer satisfaction surveys there are so many variables,with that it not even funny.mif the customer has a bad experience with customer service before you get there guess what your rating is gonna be. Next one, Internet connectivity. You must connect all there mpeg 4 equipment to the Internet so customers can get there on demand. Lets think about that, I am always in low income neighborhoods they barely can afford the cable most don't have phones or computers so no connectivity for me, or there the person who just uses a hotspot and refuses to run up there data plan for a cable box, moving on , trouble calls. If a customer call for any reason this is my favorite the tv is on the wrong input, you are charged with the trouble but the reasons vary. Some are the techs fault but usually the customer just wants more for less. Then points per hour well since the customer service department is so crappy to not only the customers but the techs. They usually get a customer off the phone as quickly as possible to meet there call quota. What this mean is very inaccurate orders. The is given point based on what the customer orders. So when you show up thinking your going to a 2 room install and it's more like 6 you get the same points. Lastly this no raises if you are failing any part of this. So we have guys there which is all except 5 people . Who are still tech 1. That's right no raise or cost of living increase. The benefits are a joke 1,250 copayment for single. Then most of the procedures are only covered at 20percent up to 10,000. With wife or husband that copayment jumps to 2,500 and pretty the same coverage. So healthcare is a joke here. Well that's it for now but I will continue to update 3/26/2013

Advice to Senior ManagementThey won't listen. They are winning. Divide and conquer

Not a professional environment

Anonymous (Former Employee)

ProsThe pay is decent and the 401k company match.

ConsWords of caution... supervisors and senior management are rarely on the same page. Constant disconnect in communication. Very immature coworkers who do not take their job seriously. High school environment. Better be in cahoots with the right people if you wish to be promoted. Performance and track record are not your key to success here. I was told when I was hired that there are "plenty of opportunities for overtime if you need extra money" which translates to you must work mandatory overtime at a moment's notice. For those in school and those with life commitments, steer clear. This is a mediocre job and mediocre company at best, so if you consider yourself a professional and have even an ounce of respect for yourself, you may want to consider looking elsewhere.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhere do I begin...

Great place to work

Dish Network Installer (Current Employee)

ProsMost of the day I am my own boss but have management available if I need help. Great pay. Every day is different. Great bonus program. Positive feed back from management. Overtime available weekly. Three days off a week.

ConsCan have difficult jobs. When you can't figure out how to do somthing it becomes very difficult to describe the problem although people are willing to help. Insurance can be better.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have had great management. Continue to help and support.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

What you put in is what you get out.

Inside Sales Lead (Current Employee) Englewood, CO (US)

ProsThe money is great. The benefits are just like anywhere else. Discount on the service is cool. 401K is awesome and the Employee Stock Purchase Plan is good!

ConsYou have to be able to adapt. Change happens all of the time. This is a fast paced environment and everything impacts the company so everything is being watched. However if you are doing what you are supposed to and you can adapt to change then there will be no issues.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo not forget the environment. In sales the environment is key, if you want to change or implement something, that is great but do not forget the environment. An environment that is not clean or stable is a recipe for un-happy employees also they will not want to adapt to changes you are making.

Great to a point

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsGreat pay & benefits. Great service to offer people.

ConsConstantly changing business policies & keeping up with sales & performance metrics

The work is alright, the people are good, the pay is really lousy

Analyst/Developer II (Current Employee) Englewood, CO (US)

Prosif you work hard & do good, you'll be noticed.

Consthere aren't too many cons. it'd be great if one can wok at home on snow days.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe sudden shift to company outings is a laugh. keep it & give fair pay!

Hopefully Will Get Better

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Englewood, CO (US)

Pros-Opportunities to move up
    -LEAD employee training program
    -Smart people
    -Free TV service for employees
    -Access to high level executives

I've worked at DISH for about 4 years now, and have gotten multiple promotions. Hard work doesn't go unnoticed (at least on my team). A lot of your happiness (like at any job) will depend on your manager and the people you work with on a day to day basis. I've seen some teams that are somewhat dysfunctional, but luckily my team is great.

Cons-Low pay compared to industry averages
    -Terrible benefits (health plan is really bad)
    -You only get 2 weeks of PDO (3 weeks after 5 years)
    -401k takes 5 years to vest
    -A lot of bureaucracy with little focus on ROI (the projects that turn into realities are just whatever the COO is interested in that particular day)
    -Outdated HQ with not enough bathrooms

Advice to Senior Management-Do a better job of investing in and retaining employees. They've been saying that they want to improve benefits and salaries for a long time now, but nothing has changed.
    -Try to trim the bureaucracy and get more teams to work across departments rather than just keeping a silo approach

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

There's been challenges, but it continues to improve

Training Manager (Current Employee) Englewood, CO (US)

ProsAmazing technology, terrific opportunity, and the chance to work with some of the smartest people I've ever met. People here are driven, dedicated, and incredibly savvy. DISH also re-committed to providing even more leadership training to every manager in the company.

ConsHigh expectations cause some leaders to forget best practices and that can drive employees out. The company is working to give managers better tools to work with their people, but some leaders aren't willing to change. Those leaders make it tough on their people.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep working on leadership! Be willing to change!

Not as bad as some say

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Englewood, CO (US)

ProsDish has gotten some bad press in the past about working conditions. I was hired into corporate off the street and I was given a copy of the "rules" to sign off on prior to my acceptance of the job. I knew what I was getting into before I even started. My managers always worked with schedule outside of work and gave me the flexibility needed. Are there time where you need to bust your butt and work hard, you bet! Dish is not a place to be complacent, it is a full steam ahead organization, where you need to be on board or you will be left behind.

ConsThere are bad days and good days, just like any job or company.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Going the right direction

Inside Sales Associate (Current Employee) Phoenix, AZ (US)

ProsGreat income potential, extremely supportive leads and in general a management team that truly cares about your success and well being as a individual above that of an asset. This is an organization that will make some waves in the near future and they are adapting to current circumstances quite well. Lots of growth opportunity and the benefits are commensurate with the industry standards.

ConsHours will be daunting for some, but nothing extreme is expected for a sales environment. The phones can be a bit tough but that is just my personality type not sitting still well. The expectations are rigorous but clear, for some this proves to be a true challenge on a day to day basis.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to educate and train the leads and associates on sales and becoming a complete sales person with proper closing skills. Reduce the turn and burn in all areas of the business and explore the further development. (all works in progress and being addressed as far as I can tell)

Worked for DISH? Contribute to the Community!