DISH

1,795 Reviews

DISH Director, President and CEO Joseph Clayton
Joseph Clayton
1,154 Ratings

Pros
  • Pay is good for these parts, especially if you stick with it for a few years (in 72 reviews)

• Good work life balance: people in our office arrive around 10am and leave by 7pm (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • As far as the work life balance they change schedules dissolve schedules for all types of reasons (in 40 reviews)

• Unless your friends with upper management, you have no chance of advancement (in 100 reviews)

More Highlights

Worst company ever

Current Employee - FSS I  in  Maryland
    Current Employee - FSS I in Maryland

Pros

It's better than unemployment. Maybe

Cons

Well when first read all the reviews here I thought maybe there just disgruntled workers. Well I am still an active employee 3 months strong and trying to get the hell away from dish. Everything you read is true. The pay is low , the work is dangerous but the company always cover themselves so you can't sue. Want example you say? Ok here it goes! As a field tech we are not allowed to go on roofs to place a dish. Hmmm geese seem to me all the dishes are where? You co-workers are essentially useless there under so much pressure from there metric that they can't help if you need it. Ok my supervisor say you can't go beyond fss4 unless you have a degree well most people don't get to fss2. Here's why. You have to get a 10 on your customer satisfaction surveys there are so many variables,with that it not even funny.mif the customer has a bad experience with customer service before you get there guess what your rating is gonna be. Next one, Internet connectivity. You must connect all there mpeg 4 equipment to the Internet so customers can get there on demand. Lets think about that, I am always in low income neighborhoods they barely can afford the cable most don't have phones or computers so no connectivity for me, or there the person who just uses a hotspot and refuses to run up there data plan for a cable box, moving on , trouble calls. If a customer call for any reason this is my favorite the tv is on the wrong input, you are charged with the trouble but the reasons vary. Some are the techs fault but usually the customer just wants more for less. Then points per hour well since the customer service department is so crappy to not only the customers but the techs. They usually get a customer off the phone as quickly as possible to meet there call quota. What this mean is very inaccurate orders. The is given point based on what the customer orders. So when you show up thinking your going to a 2 room install and it's more like 6 you get the same points. Lastly this no raises if you are failing any part of this. So we have guys there which is all except 5 people . Who are still tech 1. That's right no raise or cost of living increase. The benefits are a joke 1,250 copayment for single. Then most of the procedures are only covered at 20percent up to 10,000. With wife or husband that copayment jumps to 2,500 and pretty the same coverage. So healthcare is a joke here. Well that's it for now but I will continue to update 3/26/2013

They won't listen. They are winning. Divide and conquer

Sales grind

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative  in  Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Phoenix, AZ (US)

Pros

Good Pay, Steady flow of calls

Cons

Obnoxious customers, call center tracks every idle moment

Do not muzzle an ox while it is treading out the grain

stuck on sales stats versus doing your job

Current Employee - Field Service Technician IV
    Current Employee - Field Service Technician IV

Pros

always work to be done

Cons

not everyone has the same strengths and weaknesses. senior management needs to understand this.

not all technicians are great sales people. some of us enjoy our jobs because we are helping people. also we are the face of the company. Sales does not always mean higher CSAT scores.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

WORK PRESSURE

Pros

Good Environment, nice collegues only these two are meritis.

Cons

too much of work pressure from higher level. full of politics

please improve your pay scale its not at all fair

Has improved greatly since I first started

Current Employee - Analyst/Developer II  in  Denver, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Analyst/Developer II in Denver, CO (US)

Pros

The team I work for is awesome! We are like a family and all get along really well. Our manager rocks and I couldn't ask for a better situation.

Cons

Medical benefits are not the greatest and within my specific expertise/role, there isn't much room to move up.

N/A

Great company, dull job

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Christiansburg, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Christiansburg, VA (US)

Pros

benefits are great
    401k with matching contributions
    stock purchase program
    upward mobility
    generous bonus system

Cons

boring job
    customers are rude, but thats life

Senior Analyst/Developer

Current Employee - Senior Analyst/Developer
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst/Developer

Pros

Large company, lots of friendly people. The Satellite TV industry is amazing and DISH now has it's finger in other business types such as Satellite Internet, B2B/Commercial cable systems, Blockbuster Online, Sling Box, and also owns a lot of potential Cell phone bandwidth. The future possibilities are very interesting with this corporation. We also have the best and coolest technology out there with the Hopper/Sling/Dish Anywhere and the new commercial Smart box!

Having been with DISH for almost 15 years, I can say, the last 3 or so have been the best, we have seen a ton of improvement internally, some benefits were made to better suit the employee, some policies became a lot friendlier and more logical. I give Joe Clayton, our new CEO credit for this.

Cons

Only two real complaints here, yearly salary increases are a bit on the low side overall, sure the company wants to stretch it's dollar, but come on, a very good /great yearly review should gross a raise greater than the rate of inflation. Secondly, and this is my largest complaint, health insurance, a family of (4) four, expect a deducible/co-pay that is well into the (5) five figure range. Come on, I could almost pay cash in full for a new Harley-Davidson for this amount! Here is an example, I went to pickup an allergy medicine, the pharmacist asked do you want to pay with insurance or cash? Naturally, I was thinking insurance, but I asked, what is the price difference? $72 with insurance, $12 with-out insurance the pharmacist told me. The good news, both yearly performance raises and the insurance issue should be easy fixes and I believe Joe Clayton and his team of uppers will get them worked out.

Health insurance, make it affordable to see a Doctor please.

Decent pay good bit of overtime but terrible health insurance

Pros

Decent pay for my area. All the overtime you can handle

Cons

Health insurance is absolutely terrible

Keep up the good work

Decent company and getting better.... just please Joe C - keep your politics to yourself!

Current Employee - IT Engineer  in  Englewood, CO (US)
    Current Employee - IT Engineer in Englewood, CO (US)

Pros

Always on the go! I really never get bored, which is a great thing. I love being challenged and challenged I am! DISH is truly trying to improve! The new technology never leaves me bored, always something new! The Work life balance is ok... they do get pretty picking on being at work for 8.5 hours.. then they let up... for me, I work through lunch... try to enforce it, labor laws say other wise :) The compensation is pretty good, can't complain there! My direct management is pretty good, can't say that for everyone else's though.

Cons

The political blame game from the CEO... come on Joe, stop blaming the President for the poor health insurance DISH has... it's not his fault, it's yours and Charlie's! The benefits are pretty poor, 50% 401K matching? Really, from a multi-billion dollar company?

Great place to work but "kool-aid" spreading supervisors & managers are starting to infest the highly potential El Paso.

Current Employee - Manufacturing Group Lead  in  El Paso, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Group Lead in El Paso, TX (US)

Pros

Very challenging but rewarding work. Working in a production cell gives me the chance to earn bonuses for hitting highly achievable quality and efficiency targets.

Cons

Recently there has been a few supervisors and even some managers that won't stop spreading their "kool-aid" about other leaders of the plant. They are jealous and being selfish and will be the downfall of this plant if they don't stop blasting the team. They're only making themselves look bad. I will continue to do my best as a cell lead and hope they don't burn me too like they did our Director. Since I can't mention them by name, if HR were to do a survey, the same names would come up for sure...

Fire these 5 "salaried" employees or watch the ship sink in El Paso.

Worked for DISH? Contribute to the Community!