DISH

2.5 1,654 reviews

DISH Director, President and CEO Joseph Clayton

Joseph Clayton

(1,058 ratings)

Pros
  • Pay is good for these parts, especially if you stick with it for a few years(in 71 reviews)

• Good work life balance: people in our office arrive around 10am and leave by 7pm(in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • As far as the work life balance they change schedules dissolve schedules for all types of reasons(in 40 reviews)

• Unless your friends with upper management, you have no chance of advancement(in 100 reviews)

1,654 Employee Reviews

Worst company ever

FSS I (Current Employee) Maryland

ProsIt's better than unemployment. Maybe

ConsWell when first read all the reviews here I thought maybe there just disgruntled workers. Well I am still an active employee 3 months strong and trying to get the hell away from dish. Everything you read is true. The pay is low , the work is dangerous but the company always cover themselves so you can't sue. Want example you say? Ok here it goes! As a field tech we are not allowed to go on roofs to place a dish. Hmmm geese seem to me all the dishes are where? You co-workers are essentially useless there under so much pressure from there metric that they can't help if you need it. Ok my supervisor say you can't go beyond fss4 unless you have a degree well most people don't get to fss2. Here's why. You have to get a 10 on your customer satisfaction surveys there are so many variables,with that it not even funny.mif the customer has a bad experience with customer service before you get there guess what your rating is gonna be. Next one, Internet connectivity. You must connect all there mpeg 4 equipment to the Internet so customers can get there on demand. Lets think about that, I am always in low income neighborhoods they barely can afford the cable most don't have phones or computers so no connectivity for me, or there the person who just uses a hotspot and refuses to run up there data plan for a cable box, moving on , trouble calls. If a customer call for any reason this is my favorite the tv is on the wrong input, you are charged with the trouble but the reasons vary. Some are the techs fault but usually the customer just wants more for less. Then points per hour well since the customer service department is so crappy to not only the customers but the techs. They usually get a customer off the phone as quickly as possible to meet there call quota. What this mean is very inaccurate orders. The is given point based on what the customer orders. So when you show up thinking your going to a 2 room install and it's more like 6 you get the same points. Lastly this no raises if you are failing any part of this. So we have guys there which is all except 5 people . Who are still tech 1. That's right no raise or cost of living increase. The benefits are a joke 1,250 copayment for single. Then most of the procedures are only covered at 20percent up to 10,000. With wife or husband that copayment jumps to 2,500 and pretty the same coverage. So healthcare is a joke here. Well that's it for now but I will continue to update 3/26/2013

Advice to Senior ManagementThey won't listen. They are winning. Divide and conquer

My overall work experience at Dish has been great.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Englewood, CO (US)

ProsThe work environment and my team are great. Everyone works together and supports each other.

ConsThe benefits could definitely be better, along with the time off policy.

Things are getting better all the time

Manager (Current Employee)

ProsThere are a ton of opportunities for advancement and growth. The culture is slowly beginning to evolve. Profit sharing is pretty cool and the stock price isn’t bad either!

ConsThe Insurance programs are not great for families. I also don’t have as many holidays as friends with other companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementI believe the culture here was pretty poor years ago but can see improvement every year. Keep going. We're not there yet.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

DISH -- Very special company on the cutting edge of telecom

ProsI have worked at DISH for close to nine years and can say it is a fantastic place to work. Yes, you will work hard; yes, they set very high expectations for you; yes, you will be challenged every day; and yes, there are no massages, ping-pong tables, or free cafeteria food. It is a pure meritocracy and rewards passion, intelligence and results. And, it is one of the most exciting companies in the telecom space today. We are known as a disruptive competitor. That makes every day fun. I am proud to be an employee at DISH and love working at DISH.

ConsSee above describing the type of work environment. This is not for every one.

I love working here

Customer Service Representative III/Tech Support (Current Employee) Christiansburg, VA (US)

Prospromotions from within, great support system, lenient time-off policies (paid time off and unpaid time off), practically free tv service, sales incentives

Consnot super great benefits, but they help cover some health care cost if you choose to go that route

Hard Work and Patience Are Rewarded

Operations Manager (Current Employee) Englewood, CO (US)

ProsI've been at DISH for 5 years and I've seen quite a bit of improvement in moral and employee engagement on a corporate level. If you aren't willing to work hard DISH isn't the place for you - if you are someone who thinks they are entitled to be promoted every six months just because you are there and not based on merit - go work else where.

I've moved quickly into a management position during my time at DISH and I've been given opportunities to learn and expand my skill sets. Although I've had one or two bad mangers - overall I've always worked with managers who care about me and my goals.

ConsOne of the things our CEO and Chariman has asked employees is to "know their business." Select departments know their business and understand other's roles. Many departments though don't know their business and how decisions impact other departments -this often means they end up creating more work for everyone else.

Vacation time is not ideal - and I believe we lose employees because of this. Employees only receive two weeks of vacation time until they hit 5 years and then they get 3. Not very competitive in today's job market. To attract the best employees DISH should be at least offering 3 or 4 weeks initially.

Although corporate has made retention a focus some department heads have not. We've lost a lot of great people as a result.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on retention - recognize that we have talented people and focus on keeping them here.

Department heads need to do a better job of communicating - a lack of communication has caused countless issues.

Good place to work for the inactive

Certified Tech Agent (Current Employee) Christiansburg, VA (US)

ProsWork isn't hard, easy to learn if you're technologically sound, decent starting pay compared to similar employers in the industry

Consconstant change in incentive programs (not always in employee's favor, most often not), long hours of sitting, highly irate customers

Advice to Senior Managementbetter incentive programs that are more accessible to more people

I have no idea why this company doesn't get a higher rating.

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Bluefield, WV (US)

ProsExtremely good pay for my area and there is always overtime available as well as approved time off if you're tired and need to cut a day short). If your attendance is good they will bend over backwards to work out a shift swap if something comes up. Excellent support staff always willing to help. In-house contests with great prizes to keep you motivated. It's made very clear what is expected of you and even if you're not getting great results if you're doing the right thing they recognize that. Beautiful, clean facility. Ridiculously cheap TV service because they want you to know the product.

ConsIt's a tough job but it's customer service. That has nothing to do with the company itself. I guess I wish there was a little more flexibility when it comes to dealing with a gray area.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing. I've worked in different corporate situations over the years and you're as close to getting it right as I believe is possible.

Stressful job

Dish Network Installer (Current Employee)

ProsBy yourself most of day lots of driving if you enjoy that lots of overtime if you enjoy that too

ConsHeavy pressure from management to meet goals where you will be fired of not met. If you do not exceed in every area at all times you are potentially next to be let go. Forced schedule changes. Forced ot for months at a time then forced loss of days for months. Bonus based on performance but if you do not get your bonus you are an expendable employee. Management inconsiderate of personal needs and or circumstances. Very black and white about performance quality and everything else no room for flexibility. Good job if your looking for a 6 month job don't plan on making a career.

CSR

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Tulsa, OK (US)

ProsGreat Company and pay. Good Benifits

ConsIndexing of Performance means 1/2 of the employee's will fail in the 1 yr.

Worked for DISH? Contribute to the Community!