DISH

1,850 Reviews

DISH Director, President and CEO Joseph Clayton
Joseph Clayton
1,192 Ratings

Pros
  • Pay is good for these parts, especially if you stick with it for a few years (in 81 reviews)

• Good work life balance: people in our office arrive around 10am and leave by 7pm (in 36 reviews)

Cons
  • Management uses strong arm tactics while telling you about work/life balance (in 46 reviews)

• Upper management don't keep to their word, will Lie thru their teeth in your face (in 110 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent

I have been working at DISH

Pros

Great support and culture. Dish is not for the faint of heart. It is s fast paced and changing company. If you are up to the challenge then dish is for you.

Cons

None, unless you see change and challenges as cons.

Never lose sight of your most valuable asset, your team.

Great opportunity for hard workers.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Englewood, CO (US)

I worked at DISH full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I worked at DISH Corporate for nearly 3 years, and held 4 positions. The career opportunities offered at DISH are nearly unrivaled. I was fortunate enough to have managers who listened, helped me grow, and ultimately I earned not only promotions within my team, but was awarded the opportunity to step into a role in a different field of work when I spoke up and expressed interest. DISH expects a lot from their employees, but hard work and results are rewarded. While starting salaries may not be the highest in the industry, DISH rewards hard-working employees with performance-based increases; additionally, non-salary financial benefits are pretty great for today's marketplace - 401k with match, profit sharing, ESPP, HSA, etc.

Cons

Some policies and aspects of corporate culture are becoming antiquated, though not outside the realm of reasonable expectations (i.e., "core hours", where more and more companies are providing increased flexibility to their workforce).

Constant Struggle

Current Employee - Field Service Specialist in Baltimore, MD (US)
    Current Employee - Field Service Specialist in Baltimore, MD (US)

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

great co-workers, discounted tv, bonues for meeting metrics, bonuses when you sell items. depending on position take home vehicle, pay is good.

Cons

benefits are horrible high deductibles, get scored off of metrics that you have absolutely no control over, management plays favorites, horrible hours, no set schedule constantly changing.and are never informed when it is changed.

treat everyone equal, stop with all the micro mananging

Not bad if you can deal with a crazy work schedule

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Littleton, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Littleton, CO (US)

I worked at DISH full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The money money and money

Cons

Benefits, work - life balance

Figure out benefits

False Promises Made by Terrible Management

Former Employee - Anonymous in Englewood, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Englewood, CO (US)

I worked at DISH full-time

Pros

The people working security are generally nice and helpful. Unfortunately that is where the positives stop. Once you pass through the gates, prepare for your soul to die.

Cons

The management in the accounting department put up an appearance that they care about each employee and the improvement of the department as a whole. In reality, this could not be further from the truth. From the controller down to the lowest level supervisors, leadership is full of liars, cowards, and managers full of false promises just to make themselves look good. They will promise to work with you on your growth and development, false. They will promise to listen to what each employee has to say and aim to make changes, false. If an employee goes to HR or voices an opinion about issues in the department, they won't even say a word or look you in the eye as they make "head count issues." Only a coward will walk you to HR and then leave without saying a word. I have no respect for management in the accounting department as people, and would not wish working for them on my worst enemy.

As far as benefits go, they are awful. Should you get injured, expect to have a spare $12k just hanging around. Trying to get FMLA approved is like pulling teeth and they are not afraid to escort you out of the building, no ride, in the snow, can't walk, increasing medical bills, on your first day back without the decency to even thank you for the work that you did.

The CEO is a mindless pawn for the chairman. He is guaranteed to say at least one offensive statement at every All Team Meeting. When asked a question, he never knows the answer, only will be until he hands the microphone over to somebody who knows what is going on.

Grow a pair

Dish

I have been working at DISH full-time (less than an year)

Pros

It's very exciting company and industry to work in. I am proud to be a part of the new program.

Cons

Work life balance is very hard to maintain. The hours can be very long and stressful. The pay does not align with the work-load.

Satellite TV Technician/Installer

Current Employee - Satellite TV Technician/Installer in Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Satellite TV Technician/Installer in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at DISH full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Dish offers competitive benefits and an opportunity for growth. Excellent training , classroom and on the job, before your first assignment.

Cons

Position consists of 10hour to 12 hour working days and requires that you have a extremely flexible schedule. Must be available weekdays, weekend, and holidays

Position could

Not the worst company by any means.

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Salt Lake City, UT (US)
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Salt Lake City, UT (US)

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Love all of the people I work with. Very friendly, very inviting. Immediate supervisor cares about my opinions, and is always willing to sit down and discuss.

Cons

Depending on the project there seems to be a lot of red-tape to get things done.

Try to get into the field once a quarter in an "Undercover Boss" fashion to see how things really work.

No opportunities for women managers/leaders

Current Employee - IT Professional in Englewood, CO (US)
    Current Employee - IT Professional in Englewood, CO (US)

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The IT shop is fast moving and modern -no ancient mainframes or move-at-snail's-pace project cycles like telecom, finance, health, or gov't contractors.

Cons

As a long term employee (over 10 years), I am sad to say it is not what used to be for women. in the last 5 years, upper management, the CEO, and Senior VPs, only promote men to Directors or above. Before, they used to put substance over style and schmoozing. The new CEO and the newer VPs prefer MEN who are good at telling them what they want to hear, even though they could not lead a team out of a room with a single door. The double standards for women to advance are ridiculous. The bar is set much higher. "A guy tells it like it is", if a women says the EXACT same thing they think "she's too aggressive". If she defends her team, she is argumentative, or ..."she's not ready" for a women, but for the guys it is "he has potential". The IT department has not hired or promoted a woman to Director level in over 5 years - in fact they lost the ones that were Directors (the last remaining woman Director in IT was hired over 8 years ago, hired under different management). The men who are chauvinists that no self respecting woman would work for (only contractors will) they recommend for leadership programs - but the woman who just got her MBA or the one that has been leading a team for years, gets shut out. The old southern white guy CEO is more impressed with birdbrained men who can schmooze and went to the "right" school, than finding and promoting any woman of substance. If you are a woman and want to move into senior management or a Director level job, you need to go elsewhere. I was enlisted in the Army for years, and I got more respect and had more opportunities for leadership roles and advancement than I do as a professional with a college degree currently at DISH.

There is a DESPERATE need for all Directors, VP and C-level executives to get educated about giving women equal opportunity, and judging men and women on EQUAL grounds. Get over your boys club, boy's locker room, attitudes. I used to recommend people work at DISH, I now can not do that, especially for women.

Not bad for low requirements

Current Employee - Field Service Manager in Houston, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Field Service Manager in Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at DISH full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

3 day weekend, other than health insurance, the benefits are good, take advantage of the tuition reimbursement program, especially if you are young.

Cons

Pressure, lots of pressure, hope you are good at saving money, the $5000 deductible is steep if you need medical help. Insurance doesn't cover a penny until after you meet your deductible.

Change the insurance to something that we can afford to use, it is a joke currently. If you are worried about cost, I'd pay twice the amount for regular insurance where if I go to the doctor I pay $20 and for the hospital $100, I would provably go to the doctor more often and this would lead to healthier employees.