Dairy Queen

Be The First To
Add Photos

Dairy Queen President and CEO John Gainor

John Gainor

Pros:
  • "Making ice cream is fun and I get to ask off for whatever days I need off from work"
    in 45 reviews
  • "Flexible hours, discount for personal food purchases"
    in 12 reviews
Cons:
  • "Barely cleaned the ice cream machines"
    in 16 reviews
  • "Not recognized for hard work, minimum wage"
    in 13 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Legendairy

Executive Technician (Former Employee)
Saint Paul, MN (US)

I worked at Dairy Queen full-time for less than a year

ProsFree food, lots of opportunity to move up in company, great experience! The tips are nice too depending on how hard you work for them!

ConsThe pay isn't the greatest.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be nice if there would have been an HR person I could confide in at difficult moments.

As an employer, DQ offers many worth-while opportunities to people with a variety of skillsets.

Management Trainee (Current Employee)

I have been working at Dairy Queen full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe DQ franchise offers a ton of support and the resources necessary for someone seeking opportunity to succeed. When you join the DQ "Team", it's truly a collective between franchisees and their Management and crew, Business Consultants, Territory Operators (where applicable) and the various divisions of American Dairy Queen support (Marketing, Concept Evolution, training, etc...) I am a small fish in a very large school, and yet if support is needed regarding a matter over which I have specific interest, I can reach out to specific people and know that I'll receive attention. And in instances where an answer is not readily available, I know whomever I directed my questions to will get me the answer I need in a timely manner.

ConsIt is difficult to create a culture of "creating smiles and stories" if the entire organization isn't on the same page, with the same passion. It takes a village, they say, and in order for any individual DQ store to succeed, the culture within it must be - in every way - about creating smiles and stories. Given that minimum wage is the norm for Crew, incentives programs are important, but may not be effective if not consistently followed. Competent and passionate management is key; no one wants to work with someone who doesn't support positive culture.

Retail is a tough gig. The benefits are not always there, and salaries should be based on competence, merit, drive and team-building skills - not necessarily longevity.

Advice to Senior ManagementManage the people, not the task. Make sure the expression of genuine appreciation of crew, shift leaders, the management team and ownership is commonplace. Treat customers as if they were your favorite person on earth, and mean it. Get dirty sometimes - work the line, mop a floor now and then. Train well and retrain often, but make sure you recognize those looking to just get through training and those looking to learn more. Have relevant policies in place for every eventuality.

Family

Crew Member (Former Employee)
La Porte, TX (US)

I worked at Dairy Queen part-time for more than a year

ProsGood employee relations
Ok discount

ConsLow pay
Bad hygiene
Worst working conditions

Advice to Senior ManagementHigher pay

One small leap..

Shift Supervisor (Former Employee)

I worked at Dairy Queen full-time for more than a year

ProsThis is where I started my first job during my first year at college. Training was standard, you learn measurements of certain things and how to cook burgers, chicken, french fries, basic american food and also how to form balls of ice cream on a cone - the "DQ" way. I got out after two weeks. A bit more prestigious than Mcdonalds (I definitely choose an Oreo Blizzard over an Oreo Mcflurry) but the same fast food culture. I met alot of wonderful people and made friends along the way, and after a year I got promoted to Shift Supervisor with a dollar raise and more responsibility. It was a great way to start my career: I learned how to organize, take charge of inventory, communicate with coworkers as well as customers, handle complaints, lead my team and increase my skill set and confidence to move on after a year. I now work in hospitality and I know I wouldn't have been able to make that huge leap if it wasn't for my DQ boss or this company, and the things I have learned here.

ConsHungry customers are usually rude, long time on your feet, back aches after laborious tasks such as sweeping, mopping and other cleanings that need to be done, will be extremely busy in summer or extremely slow in winter, its never fun to restock items you just restocked, you run out of things to do in the winter, you never run out of things to do in the summer, people leave trash everywhere when the trash can is only two feet away, and always be careful with the register money.

nice place to work but low pay

Grill Cook (Current Employee)
Morehead, KY (US)

I have been working at Dairy Queen for more than 3 years

Prosgreat managers to work for

Consdealing with rude customer, minimum wage, large groups of customers

Advice to Senior Managementpay people more

Good starting job although would not recommend it.

Shift Leader (Current Employee)

I have been working at Dairy Queen part-time for less than a year

ProsPromotions are available, depending how hard you work and how well you do your job but are not worth it, the raise is not great. My coworkers were great. Understanding about days off.

ConsVarious tasks have to be achieved throughout the day. A lot of miscommunication between Managers and Assistant Managers. On your feet all dealing with uncourteous customers, but that comes along with majority of the jobs.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate with each other properly. Don't over work your workers for your own benefit.

back end

Cashier/Cook (Current Employee)
Houston, TX (US)

I have been working at Dairy Queen full-time for more than a year

Prosworks with my college schedule

Consbad co workers, play too much

Advice to Senior Managementgrow up

Very easy and simple work

Dairy Queen Blizzard Wizzard (Former Employee)
Beaumont, TX (US)

I worked at Dairy Queen part-time for less than a year

ProsFamily Owned.
Lots of advancement oppurtunies

ConsLess Work Hours
Facility was unsanitary

Advice to Senior ManagementMore Work Hours
Better cleaning utilities

Solid Starter job

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)
Longview, TX (US)

I worked at Dairy Queen full-time for more than 3 years

ProsFlexible with school schedule. Friendly staff to work with. Good management

ConsRelly no room for advancement, if that were to be your career path. High turnover

Ehhh

Old Hickory, TN (US)

I have been working at Dairy Queen full-time

ProsSlow, laidback, plenty of break time, Christmas Bonus (small), Free food on the clock, Clean store.

ConsOwners don't seem to know what they are doing half the time, short shifts so you have to work 6-7 days a week to get hours. Low pay. Constant arguing among employees.

Worked for Dairy Queen? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Dairy Queen reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Dairy Queen CEO John Gainor. All 229 reviews are posted anonymously by Dairy Queen employees.