Dairy Queen

Be The First To
Add Photos

Dairy Queen President and CEO John Gainor

John Gainor

Pros
  • Making ice cream is fun and I get to ask off for whatever days I need off from work(in 46 reviews)

• great team work experience, flexible hours, good for high school/college students(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Customers and management don't realize you work for minimum wage and expect too much(in 21 reviews)

• customers are rough when it comes to ice cream(in 19 reviews)

Im a former employee who loved working there, I stayed for almost 5 years.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Proscompany values, American owned, co workers with great attitudes,

Conslunch rush with only 2 people working trying to make food and ice cream to order

Advice to Senior ManagementTraining

Love it!

Dairy Queen Blizzard Wizzard (Former Employee) Minneapolis, MN (US)

ProsGreat product!
    Great people!
    Great first job, manager was awesome and taught valuable lessons.

ConsLower pay but good raises. Smelly clothes after working

Shift leader

ProsI liked most of the people I worked with it was nice to laugh and have fun and the job was very repetitive and easy to understand. I worked at 2 different DQ's for 7 years. Locally owned the second Dq paid amazing way above what I would be making if I had stayed at my first DQ

ConsThe customers at the second location where terrible very rude and it was very annoying to deal with. Also management was very lax and let everyone get away with everything calling in all the time showing up hours late very annoying to someone who has to constantly be called in to work

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overall, working at Dairy Queen was a pretty good first job experience.

Crew Member (Former Employee) Green Bay, WI (US)

ProsThe staff made this place. Of course there were a few head "nuts", but overall the workplace coworkers connected. They were flexible with hours and school commitments. This was a great first or second time job.

ConsGranted this is a starting job, but there is no pay increases depending on time being at the company. When hired they mentioned you would get pay raise review every 6 to 8 months. This couldn't be farther from the truth.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at the quality of work the crew members and managers do. A few managers were very rude and seemed to just be there because they've always been there. Overall, great people, great experience, awesome starting job. I learned quite a bit.

Good company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFlexible work schedules nice people

Conshaving to clean dishes was horrible

Not for everyone

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCoworkers ranged from incredibly sweet to incredibly mean and catty, but were nice for the most part. Interview was really easy and simple.

ConsAngry and rude customers made this job a lot worse than it could have been. It wasn't all of the customers, but enough to overshadow the nice customers. Part timers have to close all the time, and some employees definitely do all of the work while others watch and eat. Training was minimal and myself along with other new employees felt very under-prepared and overwhelmed.

its "okay"

General Employee (Current Employee) Tamarac, FL (US)

Prosa good starting point, a nice place to work in general. its a pretty laid back atmosphere.

Consminimum wage, reguardless.
    its hard to move up unless you plan on being around for a while.
    you have to really stick to it to get full time, and they really HATE overtime. and at min wage, its almost not worth the effort.

Advice to Senior Managementraise the wages, hire more people who need the job than the little kids that go in looking for spending money.

Good first job

Crew Member (Former Employee) Bluffton, IN (US)

ProsGreat entry level position, especially for teens and young adults. Flexible scheduling.

ConsSome stores are older and equipment does not function properly. There are many mealtime rushes followed by slow periods.

Good job for the summer

Day-time Responsible Manager (Former Employee) Montreal, QC (Canada)

Prosgood employees, learn to work under pressure when it's busy

Consbad management, manager is uneducated and therefore cannot manage properly her staff

Positive in the ability to work with customers and staff.

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)

ProsChanging schedules, high quality standards and name brand.

ConsThe administration and the consistent change and overturn of staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed better management skills in working with staff and providing direction.

Worked for Dairy Queen? Contribute to the Community!