Danaher

www.danaher.com
Profile Unclaimed

Worst job I ever had!

I worked at Danaher full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I don't have any pros

Cons

The culture is non-existent. Everyone is in it for themselves and will throw you under the bus the first chance they get. They are mean, back-stabbing horrible people and wouldn't recommend this company to anyone.

Change management

Senior Buyer

Former Employee - Senior Buyer in Elizabethtown, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Buyer in Elizabethtown, NC (US)

I worked at Danaher full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I enjoyed the procurement team. We the buyers looked out for one another and covered down when workloads become unbearable which they did most of the time.

Cons

Lack of personnel and training. We were told they would hire more employees but they never did. The company also took away our ability to work remote which was a reason I took the job. Leadership slow at responding to time sensitive decisions. Employees are not held accountable for their actions and do not pull their weight.

Provide training (any!). Stop closed doors decision making, allow all employees to have buy in on projects.

Constant change

Former Employee - Quality Engineer
    Former Employee - Quality Engineer

I worked at Danaher full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Most employees not in top management were a pleasure to work with.

Cons

Attrition is horrible due to the constant changes.

Training is lacking for anyone not in top management. Limit change in policy and procedure it happens so often you do not know which end you are working from.

Danaher reflects the acumen of its former CEO.

Former Contractor - Chief Financial Officer
    Former Contractor - Chief Financial Officer

I worked at Danaher as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

The emphasis on using systems to manage all aspects of the company gives you immense learning opportunities that can be applied in any organization. Most people leave Danaher after 18-24 months and become superstars in other organizations.

Cons

The Type A personalities have been replaced by bureaucrats who are more interested in filling out forms than growing the business or improving margins. Lawyers and tax accountants are required to approve business deals as aggressive business builders are kept on the sidelines.

Restructure management and eliminate all non-productive positions.

QA Eng

Former Employee - Quality Engineer in Telford, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Quality Engineer in Telford, PA (US)

I worked at Danaher full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Lean environment at all levels

Cons

No resources for basic needs

Can be a good place, but much of the DBS Tools are just a distraction

Current Employee - Senior Management At the OpCo Level
    Current Employee - Senior Management At the OpCo Level

I have been working at Danaher full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

- Honest and ethical company. No worries about impropriety, bribes, illegal activity at Danaher.
    - Tries to communicate downstream well
    - Salaries are fairly decent for mid/senior mgmt.

Cons

- Tries to push a "one size fits all" model onto all OpCos, when in reality, many OpCos might actually perform better if DHR just left them alone or allowed customization of the DBS toolset to fit each OpCo blended needs.
    - DBS is really just Common Sense, but the "one size fits all" formula is pounded into the OpCos so much it just becomes a tiresome distraction from running your OpCo how you and your team know best.
    - Well over half the people drink the Kool-Aid because they must to survive, but don't really believe in all the DBS hype.
    - Can be quite competitive; not always a bad thing.
    - For tech companies (like Fluke, TekComms, Arbor, VSS, Teletrac or even radically consider all OpCos) DHR really should consider granting equity as part of the overall comp and retention package to all fulltime exempt employees.
    - In general, DHR is a fairly unfun and dull place to work, but sometimes the work just isn't that sexy, either.

Customize DBS to each OpCo (or, at least, customize to segments), listen to OpCo leadership more, grant equity to more team members (not just exec team or senior performers) and keep your good ethics and honesty moving forward (that part is refreshing)

Work here at your own risk.

Former Employee - Meetings/ConventionManager in Milwaukee, WI (US)
    Former Employee - Meetings/ConventionManager in Milwaukee, WI (US)

I worked at Danaher full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you're young, and are able to make all of the sacrifices, you can move up very fast in this organization. A modicum of competence and a nod to the DBS quality system is all you need if you know how to play the game and are willing to burn your bridges as you go.

Cons

I worked for many years for a foreign owned company that was purchased by Dananher. They let us operate as per past practices for a while, and we continued to be highly successful, but eventually their management insisted on imposing their will. After 18 months of their serious meddling, it’s a wonder the company is still in business.

Paranoid management, disrespect, constant tension, and long hours sum up most of Danaher’s real culture. Generally speaking, it is a pressure cooker and all communication is one directional – top down. Any attempt to streamline, impact change, or even discuss a better way to do anything is strictly frowned upon when it comes from the bottom. Work longer/harder, don't complain or try to fix any of the myriad broken systems or processes, and don't forget that there are 10 people lined up outside to take your spot (your manager certainly won't forget).

The DBS quality system is a joke. Don’t get me wrong, theoretically it has many outstanding qualities. Unfortunately, the company is operated by ruthless, ladder climbing, management-by-spreadsheet types who have neither the time nor the inclination to learn let alone properly apply the myriad processes. “Whatever worked once will work again” is the prevailing attitude, and a one-size-fits-all solution is forced on everything.

All of the talk about growth, best practices, and competition is just that… idle talk. Ultimately, the Danaher business model is not one of retain and reinvest. It is the same old downsize and distribute, cut your way to profitability, do anything to meet/beat analysts’ expectations on your stock price management style that pervades the entire venture capital culture.

What can I say? Danaher has destroyed almost as many companies as it claims to have "saved". The business plan has made senior managers very wealthy, so there's really no motivation to change anything simply to guarantee the long term future of its constituent companies, their customers and employees.

Only for the young and those who only like to execute.

Former Employee - Vice President EMEA in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Vice President EMEA in London, England (UK)

I worked at Danaher full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great BtoG/B industries to work in because of their potential and scope. Danaher could be an amazing company to work for, but will need change of culture.
    For very young people great way to learn basic processees and get tech know how.

Cons

Culture is a based on fear, mindless processees and hyrarchical thinking and very elitist.
    It is an investment fund disguised as a operational company run by investment bankers & politicians with a very US centric and mormon mind set..

Try to be leaders and stop behaving like greedy politicians. Activate your teams, think global and built a culture based on people as an asset.

Executive

Current Employee - Executive
    Current Employee - Executive

I have been working at Danaher full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Large company, many people know the stock

Cons

in every meeting you have to give 15 minutes for whom you are speaking with to indulge you on what a great find THEY are. They hire less then competent people in Executive titles that waste more money and time the one has to give

sell off the companies that lose money ad concentrate on the those that generate revenue

Without a doubt worst place I ever worked

Former Employee - Staffing Manager in West Chester, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Staffing Manager in West Chester, PA (US)

I worked at Danaher full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I worked remotely so I didn't have to deal with a lot of the office politics face to face. Nor did I have to see my so called boss every day which was also a plus.

Cons

Where do I start - horrible management and I was so fortunate to have the worst boss ever. Upper management does not care about anything other than their own bonuses. I had to pay for my own development and was provided with no tools to help me do my job - finally went and paid for myself. Had HR colleagues stab me in the back because they were only looking out for their own survival.
    I would constantly bring up the subject of turnover in HR meetings only to be told to shut up - literally.

Quit - do other employees a favor. Stop calling people idiots and morons to their face and then wonder why turnover is awful!!