Danone Reviews

Updated 29 October 2014
3.7

Danone Chairman and CEO Franck Riboud
Franck Riboud

Pros
  • Good Culture, Employee Friendly, Work Life Balance (in 3 reviews)

• Senior Management in Danone global are very open minded and helpful (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • beaucoup de travail et de longues heures (in 3 reviews)

• Too much internal politics and struggle between departments (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Great experience to learn to multitask and work in a stressful environment

Former Employee - Assistant Brand Manager in Almaty (Kazakhstan)
    Former Employee - Assistant Brand Manager in Almaty (Kazakhstan)

I worked at Danone full-time

Pros

Great working conditions, professionalism, good payment.

Cons

However, due to specification of the product line of the company working mode is always in an extreme rush, incredibly short deadlines, high stress level.

Promote more cooperation between offices internationally. Provide more support to departments with big projects, budget planning needs improvements as well.

Good but can be better

I have been working at Danone full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, work life balance. Friendly colleagues in general, at least in front of you but becareful there are backstabbings/politics. Good for those who put family as 1st priority above career and want a stable job without much stress

Cons

Politics, boring, lack of support & direction from mgmt. Not good for those who are ambitious, who wants to climb the career ladder and seeking a challenging and exciting career.

Set clear strategy and work with the team. Recognize the effort of those who perform and not just base on skin color or nationality

Danone gaves me a lot of useful things that I need in my career. I learned a lot about Business Development, Sales etc.

Current Employee - Junior Business Development Manager in Almaty (Kazakhstan)
    Current Employee - Junior Business Development Manager in Almaty (Kazakhstan)

I have been working at Danone full-time (less than an year)

Pros

You work with dairy products. Mission of danone is: "BRINGING HEALTH THROUGH FOOD TO AS MANY PEOPLE AS POSSIBLE". And You are part of this strategy.

Cons

Many people leave their jobs. Danone do not try detain them.

Great company for interning, a lot of responsibilities and support from the company to learn.

I have been working at Danone as an intern

Pros

- High responsibilities
    - Good working environment

Cons

- You have to be able to be very flexible and adapt to change (fast-pace working)

Very good school

Former Employee - Brand Manager in Prague (Czech Republic)
    Former Employee - Brand Manager in Prague (Czech Republic)

I worked at Danone full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Local marketing, therefore variety of very interesting projects. Mostly nice colleagues.

Cons

Micro management. Meeting & presentations culture. A lot of overtime. Not transparent yearly salary increases and promotions.

More transparency towards performance review/career planning needed. FOCUS, employees do not have unlimited time at their disposals.

focussed on financial growth at any cost

Current Employee - Director in Jakarta (Indonesia)
    Current Employee - Director in Jakarta (Indonesia)

I have been working at Danone full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

young staff, growing, aggressive planning, strong financial focus, no regional layers

Cons

no career planning, false promises for career, capacity not mkt led planning, investments

besides french other people hv talent too. dont be so euro centric

Good learning experience

I worked at Danone full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great work and learning environment.

Cons

Micro management from seniors staff.

You recruited staff.
    Have courage and faith in thrm to deliver. Dont micro manage them.

To call the experience dreadful would be an understatement.

Former Employee - Danone Baby Nutrition in Bath, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Danone Baby Nutrition in Bath, England (UK)

I worked at Danone full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- good image based on marketing material they give away;
    - apparently employee-friendly policies (although I never witnessed them)
    - Joined to get experience in the sector

Cons

Pretty much everything but will structure more below:
    - People. I've had the worst experience of my life working for this company. I joined with the expectation of becoming a part of the Danone community that they so much advertise internally; in return I was treated like an outsider from the outset as the majority of people there had the same upbringing, values, culture, eating habits, discussion topics; I was the odd man out. It soon became clear to me I could not integrate in this company;

- Management. Very bad and utterly destructive. In the department I worked, all communication was taken place on an horizontal dimension, basically all bosses would stick together for better and worse and turn against their own individual employees when required.Another point: work expertise; every so often, managers would have absolutely no clue of the work their subordinates were doing every day. In moments of crisis, they would be totally stuck and helpless and then would blame the subordinates for making a mistake and incurring costs on the company. If things went well, they would take the credit; if things went badly, they would be the first to explode and put all evil on the back of their subordinates.

- Defficient communication - this company is the best example of how double-standards are best practised in a corporate environment. On the facade, Danone advocates open, honest communication;in reality, there was none of it in the department I was working. If for example, you did something wrong, nobody would come to tell you directly and help you improve; by contrast they would approach their own bosses, HR, or any other parties, apart from yourself. By the time you get to hear anything at all, everyone else knows very well what all is wrong with you. Dreadful approach.

- Extremely hierarchical in reality - Danone promotes itself of a great company with a wide range of benefits where everyone gets on with everyone and everyone works together for the common good of the company. Sounds a bit socialist, doesnt it? Well, the reality is quite different. If you join new, bosses in the entire department will expect you to behave in a certain way just because they are sitting at the ruling desk (and yes, watch out, there is actually a management row of desks in this department where all bosses sit by themselves, far from their teams, I think this needs no further explanation)...

And sadly, there is so much more, I could write a book about the emotional misery incurred on me by this company, but it's high time I moved on.

If I were you, I would conduct the background check carefully before joining the Danone world. Good luck!

Yes, please see above the references to management.

Good start and looks good on CV

I have been working at Danone full-time

Pros

Good learning experience and overall good company with relevant vision

Cons

This is something that is difficult to understand unless you worked there. It is simply put french business. They are very francocentric - exactly why struggling to expand and grow...

Make it multinational in real sense. It would help you a lot.

Danone is a Company where you can have freedom to take decisions. Very nice environment

Former Employee - Human Resources Director in São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)
    Former Employee - Human Resources Director in São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)

I worked at Danone full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

freedom to act, matrix structure, nice products (health related), people oriented. Social responsibility projects, relationship between all divisions , shared services department,

Cons

Compensation - gap between Directors vs other levels, very focused on the Dairy division, office location (Avenida Paulista), lack of common procedures for all divisions, different benefits

Danone Photos

Danone head office (Photo thanks to Wikipedia user Tangopaso, Some Rights Reserved)

+ Add Photo