Data Recognition Corporation

Be The First To
Add Photos

Susan Engeleiter

Review Title

Test Scorer (Former Employee)
Austin, TX (US)

I worked at Data Recognition Corporation as a contractor for less than a year

ProsDirect, clear communication.
Simple work.
Relaxed environment (There's popcorn in the breakroom on wednesdays (thursdays?). See guys, work can be fun!).

ConsInfrequent work schedule.
As an unskilled diploma you're basically cattle.
Amount of self-respect you can scrape by with depends totally on who your team leader is.

The bonus pay for scorers doesn't make very much sense. The flexibility in hours it provides is minimally beneficial. They must have found it inexplicably increases worker satisfaction. That, or they want you to attempt to reach the target and fall short. Either way I feel gamed.

Advice to Senior ManagementI scored some projects at near double the room average. No performance bonus, though I think I was treated more generously otherwise.

Add a keyboard interface to the scoring program. Mousing for 8 hours is unacceptable. Jesus Christ.

It was okay

Reader (Former Employee)
Woodbury, MN (US)

I worked at Data Recognition Corporation full-time for less than a year

Prosgood hours

bonuses available for attendance

Consit can become very monotonous

Great people, uneven work load

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Plymouth, MN (US)

I worked at Data Recognition Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

ProsPeople are easy to work with. Projects impact companies vision. Opportunities to move around within company if desired.

ConsWorkload from business not always realistic. Communication between groups could be improved especially since, when I left, the groups were not all sitting together.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to work to bring the groups together and help the business to plan workload further out.

a good tea good seasonal jobgood sesonal

Reader (Current Employee)
Cincinnati, OH (US)

I have been working at Data Recognition Corporation as a contractor for more than 5 years

ProsNice people. Work is interesting. The work environment is relaxed. The work is seasonal, so its suitable for those who do not want to work full time.

ConsSome of the scoring directors are not very friendly or helpful. Some people find the work boring. You sit in a large room at tables in front of your computer, so there can be distractions.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpper management is somewhat inscrutable. You never know how they decide who works when or on what project. Be more open.

Great company to work for with great people to work with

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Data Recognition Corporation full-time

Pros*Very friendly and talkative team.

*Management listens to what you may have concerns about or what could be improved.

*Some variety in the daily tasks you will be doing for most of the year to break up the monotony.

*Nice facilities that are very well kept.

*Fitness facilities in the buildings. Although you won't have much time to use them generally.

Cons*Monotony of the work drags on sometimes.

*Sometimes there aren't agreed upon ways of doing things that can negatively affect job performance and create confusion.

Advice to Senior Management*Only thing I can think of is making a standard protocol to be followed at each location for each job so transitions are smoother and there is less confusion.

It is what it is.

Test Scorer (Former Employee)
Austin, TX (US)

I worked at Data Recognition Corporation as a contractor for less than a year

Pros- Very predictable work environment, no surprises at all, what you hear during the recruitment orientation is exactly what you get.
- There is a requirement to have at least a bachelors degree for the position, so your coworkers are generally intelligent and reasonable people.
- Team leaders and project coordinators were generally very friendly and accommodating
- Some working hour flexibility: Required hours of M-F 8:30 - 4:00, but can start as early as 8:00 and stay as late as 5:00. $50 bonus if you work 40 hours per week.
- Free popcorn during the afternoon break on Wednesday!

Cons- The work gets mindnumbingly boring after a few days, and usually you will be grading the same question for the whole duration of the project.
- Lunch break is only 30 minutes, and there is not a very good selection of places to get food within a short driving distance, hence most people just bring their lunch
- You don't get much personal space at all in the grading rooms, but at least management informs you of this ahead of time.
- Even with the "flexible" hours, you can not normally work over 40 hours a week unless management approves overtime for everyone.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore break time to break up the monotony.

Project Manager

Project Manager (Former Employee)
Brooklyn Park, MN (US)

I worked at Data Recognition Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood health benefits, 3% of salary as a yearly bonus

ConsInept managers, poor processes, antiquated systems, toxic atmosphere, very unhappy workers

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs training on how to manage people/projects, perfect example of the Peter Principle.

It Is What It Is

Reader (Former Employee)
Woodbury, MN (US)

I worked at Data Recognition Corporation full-time for less than a year

ProsCasual atmosphere, a clean quiet environment, and very good team leaders, this is about as good as possible given the kind of mind numbing work that it is. At least in my case the work lasted the expected full month, with some variety as they kept switching us in and out of similar projects to even out workloads with other groups. Interesting dynamics as educated people got into meeting the goal, and would have serious discussions about what 11-year olds really meant in their essays so that they could be properly graded.

ConsPathetic pay, but then no one looks at this as a career. It's not a con, but interesting to note that by and large the workforce seems to be split between those just out of college and those largely past full-time careers; the two groups seem to get along very well--it's an educated workforce and everyone knows this is a temporary situation, so no one gets possessive about their position.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay readers just a little more; a similar company in the Twin Cities is at $13/hour. I don't know what team and project leaders make, but mine were good and probably deserve more. Having end of project surveys on them is a good idea, but at we were in a vacuum so far as management was concerned. At least some sort of minimal communication with the readers explaining the value of their work might be a slight morale booster. The requirement that people get up and move around every 2 hours is an excellent idea. Healthier snacks in the vending machine would be another asset. Finally, an idea on how one can move up if they come back enough times and do well might increase long-term retention.

Good PT work for Retirees.

Reader (Current Employee)
Sharonville, OH (US)

I have been working at Data Recognition Corporation part-time for more than 3 years

ProsLow Stress, decent pt pay, casual atmosphere. Seasonal from Spring through Summer.

ConsLack of communication between upper management and readers. Secret system for hiring TLs and Scoring Directors, appears to be more of a popularity contest than results-oriented. Scoring rooms are either too hot or cold. Some reader supervisors are unhelpful and standoffish. Bathrooms are filthy!

Advice to Senior ManagementAddress readers prior to beginning of project to welcome them to DRC. Post job opportunities. Better training for reader TLs and Scoring Directors. Work on better climate controlled scoring rooms and ensure bathrooms and lunchroom are clean.

If you plan on staying here long, think again...

Test Reader (Former Employee)
Sharonville, OH (US)

I worked at Data Recognition Corporation part-time for less than a year

ProsVery laid-back atmosphere, very relaxed dress code (blue jeans, t-shirts), and no corporate culture. Everyone basically gets along, and there is very little in the way of politics. Team leaders are good at conveying how to score items, and demonstrate incredible patience.

ConsLow pay for the amount of work (a number of people have experience as educators, either in grade or high school, even in college) - DRC is an enormous pay cut. Somewhat thankless - you might get free ice cream once in a while - but management is really bad at communicating how long a project might last. If you're hired for three weeks, plan on two weeks, and maybe another day or so beyond that. You're generally committing for a project that won't last nearly as long as you are being told. They offer plenty of disclaimers about this on the paperwork you'll sign, but generally you are made to believe a project will last for its duration, only to be told one day that it is ending sooner than expected.

As another reviewer said, take another job if you can get it. This place is great for retirees, people just out of college, or people who have just lost their job and need income. Just don't plan on making this into a long-term job.

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize that your test scorers don't want to be told how important they are by scoring directors and HR personnel who don't know the names of their own employees - they want to be treated with respect and honesty. If you know a project won't last as long as the advertised period of time, just say so. You would go a long way in saving a lot of people a bunch of stress.

Worked for Data Recognition Corporation? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Data Recognition Corporation reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Data Recognition Corporation CEO Susan Engeleiter. All 38 reviews are posted anonymously by Data Recognition Corporation employees.