Deb Shops Reviews

Updated 7 September 2014
Updated 7 September 2014
2.1

Dawn Robertson

Pros
  • employees get 40% discount on clothes (in 12 reviews)

• The employee discount is decent, but that's literally the only good thing I can think of (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management not only is on different pages but in different books (in 17 reviews)

• The new district manager is driving my old store into the ground (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

very nice place

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Sydney
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Sydney

I have been working at Deb Shops part-time for less than a year

Pros

excellent service, good infrastructure..and well behaved employer

Cons

nothing..no cons as it is a very good place to visit

very good management ..welldone

An amazing place to make lasting relationships and develop yourself into your role !

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Pittsburgh, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I worked at Deb Shops full-time for more than a year

Pros

The resources this company gives you to build onto your career is fantastic! My district had given me opportunities to travel and help out other stores in need. This may sound like a con, however if you look at it in the positive light those opportunities gave me the chance to see problems I may not come across in my home store and been able to develop solutions therefor adding to my skill set. Constant training and developing workshops such as Visual Merchandising and Loss Prevention. There was 100% communication between myself and my district manger as well as strong connections with other leaders in other stores. My district manager was an amazing leader and teacher. This company recognizes internal talent and promotes within. The new fashions are fabulous and the discount we receive is generous. Benefits offered for full time as well as a nice PTO package. Paid holidays for Store Managers as well as Full Time Assistants.

Cons

Payroll would be my biggest concern only because the square footage of most of the stores are enormous and flex hours given for workloads (promotional changes, markdowns, visual sets) just we're not enough to maintain a fully covered store. Recovery standard also lacked because of this as well as an increase in theft and concern of safety. Receiving or completing training of new and/or current employees is much easier in a lower volume store and I have personally seen the nite and day difference between training in a low volume store versus a higher volume store. The turn over rate in my initial lower volume store was extremely low compared to the higher volume store I transferred to and I attribute this to lack of payroll given to coach and develop. There is a "get it, understand it or get out" mentality. Work-life balance can be managed especially with a schedule of rotating night and weekends and weekends off. Store managers are required to work 44 hours a week however a majority work between 45-52 just to fill in and complete tasks where additional payroll would be nice. Promotional changes are a struggle especially when one comes down during the middle of the day and easily take an hour to complete and that's when the doors are closed with no customers. External theft is high and hard to manage. I look forward to the company's action plan.

Recognize internal potential talent and ensure everyone is treated the same and fairly based off policies and procedures. Have realistic goals and expectations of your staff. Be understanding, a coach, and a leader. Always be positive and allow your staff to be themselves and have a lil fun. Believe in your people and they will believe in you :)

Horrible to work for.

I worked at Deb Shops part-time for less than a year

Pros

You get a 40% discount on their clothes, which is good because they are very cheaply made.

Cons

I was promised 25 hours when I was hired, and got that for one week. All other weeks I had about 5-10, with lots of on-calls which didn't allow me to do anything during the day. Management was very rude to me, and talked about customers behind their backs all the time.

They need to learn how to manage, and how to talk to people.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good starting place - not for permanent career

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at Deb Shops

Pros

Awesome discount on merchandise and ability to learn all aspects of retail management. Time off policies were very flexible.

Cons

Poor upper management. HORRIBLE pay. Basically anywhere else you work as an assistant manager you will be paid more.

If you don't have thick skin, this isn't the place for you.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Philadelphia, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Philadelphia, PA (US)

I worked at Deb Shops full-time for more than a year

Pros

The only good thing was getting enough experience to get the next job.

Cons

You will be worked to tears, I literally cried at least once a week. Even if you bust your butt, your compensation will be zero. People are unfriendly, bitter, and will throw you under for their own gain. The only way to get ahead is to brown nose the top people, go behind everyone elses back, take credit for work that isn't your own.

Recognize those that truly work hard and for the pure benefit of he company and compensate them accordingly. A max of a sad 5% increase in pay when everyone knows the VP's are making triple digits severely hurts the morale of the workers.

It was an Okay place to work.

I worked at Deb Shops part-time for less than a year

Pros

The discounts and laid back work clothing were the only pros that I liked.

Cons

The people are drama, and I was always trying to find something to do once it was done I stood around for the rest of my shift. This is not what I wanted.

A good company if you would like to advance.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Marion, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Marion, IL (US)

I have been working at Deb Shops full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good training for the most part.
    40% off discount start out with 15 days pto

Cons

low pay for the work at times requires the sm to work 44 hours

keep with it things are getting better I have been with deb for over 4 years and this is the best year it has been yet

enjoyable, focusing on customer service, the opprotunity to enter act with customers

Former Employee - Full Time Assistant Manager  in  Garden City, KS (US)
    Former Employee - Full Time Assistant Manager in Garden City, KS (US)

I worked at Deb Shops full-time for less than a year

Pros

full time employees get benefits , pay is excellent ,hours are good

Cons

paid holidays, raises are given, work in a jr fashions

clean store, have room for advancement, good training ,

Definitely a sinking ship

Current Employee - Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager

I have been working at Deb Shops full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I liked most of my team and the pay was decent.

Cons

Where to start There was zero communication between stores, upper management and the Home Office. You could email the DM asking a very important question that needed to be answered asap and she would either wait a week to get back to you or you would just never hear anything about it. I would repeatedly email asking about the same thing and never get a response. Home Office just sends out unrealistic orders expecting you to get them done right away. No notice of promotion changes right in the middle of the day which also comes with window changes. Or they come up with a great new idea on how to display shorts and they want a pic of it asap. Did I mention I'm watching my store alone How did you expect me to get all of this done while customer servicing and making sure people weren't robbing me blind!! Lack of payroll meant we were watching our stores alone for up to 5 hours. Obviously, our shrink numbers were going to be bad. And God forbid you went over hours or you were gonna hear it from the DM. I'm sorry, our store had a million customers and we used an on call to work on markdowns, promo changes, window changes, shipment, new displays...... The turn over here is CRAZY!! I've been with the company for 5 years and have dealt with about 8 different DMs. None of which really seemed to care about much. I've seen probably 50 different people walk out of our store from sales associates to management. We were constantly changing our policies and doing new things, none of which ever worked. They are constantly on us about our numbers. Get up the sales, the upts, your email numbers, the Reign perfumes and now the magazines. We annoy the customers at the register with the thousand questions we have to ask them. And although I could go on and on, I will end here. Personally, my store is disgusting. The carpet is ruined, the tiles are dirty, fixtures are falling apart. We are constantly being told we're getting upgraded. Too little, too late. If I didn't work here, I definitely wouldn't shop here.

To the dm and home office- listen to the field employees. We know what we're talking about because we are ACTUALLY the ones doing the work. Don't send me display changes, promotions and markdowns all in one morning. It's impossible to get that done alone, but you wouldn't know that because you create these ideas at a cozy office desk.
    Pay your employees better or at least give opportunities for a SIGNIFICANT raise. 11 cents isn't getting anyone anywhere.
    Get new buyers. The clothes are cheap and juvenile. I've had lots of customers tell me they don't like our clothes and that they don't shop here anymore because they expect better.
    Lastly, don't make a promise you can't keep. I've been told they would renovate/rebrand my store for 4 years now and we haven't seen anything. We don't make the money because our store looks cheap and people don't want to shop. You don't want to renovate because we aren't making our money. We aren't making our money because our store looks cheap. It's a vicious cycle and at this rate, this ship is sinking.

STAY AWAY!!!

Former Employee - Full Time Assistant Manager  in  Strongsville, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Full Time Assistant Manager in Strongsville, OH (US)

I worked at Deb Shops full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great sales associates.. The girls that worked for me were amazing and I feel bad that they have such a negative experience at a retail store. Most of the girls are very young and this is their first job.

Cons

Everything.

Dms are constantly changing. Supposedly they were trying to get enough documentation to try and fire my store manager but NOTHING WAS DONE. My store manager was AWFUL. She didn't have her own phone, so I was forced to call her boyfriend and leave a message every single time whenever I needed to get in contact with her. 75% of the time she never got back to me. There was no structure in the store as far as management. The turn over was so high with management nothing was consistent. Lazy management, lack of communication, the store is dirty. I would never want to shop at the location I worked at and was embarrassed for my friends to come visits me.

the company itself is in a bad place. There is lack of communication from home office and everything is all over the place. Promo changes in the middle of the day with no notice a day after a promo change was just set, lack of email communication. The company just got a new CEO and they are in a transition period but the company was by far the most disorganized and unprofessional place I has ever worked.

DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT.

Worked for Deb Shops? Contribute to the Community!