Deb Shops

Updated Mar 27, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Dawn Robertson

Pros:
  • "40% discount on reular price items"
    in 11 reviews
  • "Good discount, fun atmosphere once you get the right staff"
    in 5 reviews
Cons:
  • "Upper management does not care about store line employees at all"
    in 10 reviews
  • "There is not even a hint of work/life balance"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

very nice place

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Sydney

I have been working at Deb Shops part-time for less than a year

Prosexcellent service, good infrastructure..and well behaved employer

Consnothing..no cons as it is a very good place to visit

Advice to Senior Managementvery good management ..welldone

Great Experience!

I worked at Deb Shops

ProsFriendly office management, great dresses and coats, trendy clothing at affordable price.

ConsI had no cons during the time I worked at Deb. Loved senior management!

Advice to Senior ManagementIt has been 16 years since I worked for the company. At the time the Senior officers were outstanding and treated me with the most respect. It is sad to hear all of this bad pr from employees on this site. Deb at the time I worked for them was a family oriented atmosphere. They cared about their people. Maybe they need to look back at what the previous management was doing right.

Hectic stressful chaotic!

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Deb Shops full-time for more than a year

ProsPeople whom you work with. Everyone strives to do their best and wants to reach goals or standards set.

ConsConstantc change in standards, day to day. What is ok on one dm visit will not ok by another. No consistency. No rhyme or reason for rules or visual standards or changes to them. Upper management not only is on different pages but in different books. Benifits are costly. Constant schedule changes because of last minute floor changes or markdowns or other random non-customer service oriented activities.

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure it out before the ship sinks, we all know its flooded on the lower level. You have many passionate ememployees, show appreciation for long term ones. Most of what your trying to change or introduce has been done before.

Not great, very toxic environment...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Deb Shops full-time for more than a year

ProsThe majority of the individuals working for the company are decent, hardworking and honest people. They genuinely care about the company and work very hard to help it succeed.

ConsThere is a complete and utter lack of communication between the corporate office and the field. The company seems to be struggling financially and therefore does not invest to heavily into the stores themselves. Many locations are outdated and look very tired. Payroll is tight and the goals are almost unattainable; i.e. it can take up to four hours to place the proper signage for promotions, yet it is not uncommon for the corporate office to make changes to those promotions multiple times throughout the week. It's a shame, because the majority of the store associates are very passionate about their jobs and fight this uphill battle week in and week out!

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest with yourselves and those who work for you! Stop hiring warm bodies and "yes" men and start investing in those who can get you out of the downward spiral that you are in. If you don't think you can right the ship, have the courage to inform those who have invested so much time trying to make the company successful and let them decide if they should start looking while they still have a job...

Terrible.where is the leadership ?

Sales Lead (Former Employee)
Philadelphia, PA (US)

I worked at Deb Shops full-time for more than 3 years

ProsOnly Some attempt to make it a successful company

ConsOthers are exhausting the assets and are clueless in how to run a store

Advice to Senior ManagementBe realistic in your expectations.do not set up your associates to fail.

Stay Away

I worked at Deb Shops

ProsGood discounts. Cute clothes and pretty free range with the dress code.

ConsTerrible to work for, they don't care about their employees, the clothes are poorly made, the higher level management (DM) sucks and was rude and mean to all her employees. It was awful everyone hated it there.

Advice to Senior Managementget a new district manager!

A confused company

Assistant Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Deb Shops full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe discount is really good

ConsThe high expectations they put on the management team to drive sales but also pile on the task and dont give you the hours to get it done!

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company need to show more support to the stores. They need to be more consistant in the company look between stores. Some stores are working with minimal supplies to execute the floorsets they come up with. Then they dont get any kind of training...

Deb has been going through some major operational changes since october of 2013 since the new CEO has taken over.

Store Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Deb Shops full-time for more than 3 years

ProsIt can be fun and challenging at times, it sells a great product to a great customer base

ConsThe current operational (promos, visuals, markdowns, payroll budget) changes are sometimes poorly planned so you end up working almost 50 hours while you are salaried which takes away from your personal life. There is a lack of DM longevity. I have worked for the company for almost 3 years and only had a DM for 1 year of that.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe prepared to work at least a min of 44 hours up to 70 in order to get all the operational tasks done in a week.

Horrible Horrible experience

Store Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Deb Shops full-time for less than a year

ProsHonestly the only thing good was the pay but it's not worth giving your life up for it.

ConsThe hours are horrible, I was required to work 44 min a week but I ended up working anywhere from 50-70 hrs a week! Upper management is horrible, I had extreme customer issues and had no backing from my DM, RM or corporate office. Also crazy human resource issues, like no breaks and working multiple opening to closing shifts in a week or my personal favorite, only getting one day off a week....

Scheduling with this store is a joke. They really don't follow a payroll matrix and you are mostly on a two person coverage even though I was over a T60 store (aka part of their highest shrink program) and I was in a high volume store. (And they wonder why they have a high shrink....)

Overall being pulled in a million different directions...There is no cohesive trend to the clothing styles and they push trends that are not current. Multiple customers would love to inform me that they should really stick to just dresses (Not gonna lie I have to agree with them!)

Advice to Senior ManagementThey need to hire quality people who know what they are doing. I had more retail experience than my DM did and it really showed. The DM belittled my staff and treated everyone like they were not valued and always replaceable. (Doesn't make for the most welcoming and motivating atmosphere)

Also, need to really think about what direction they are going and really work on their policy and procedures....I have never ever worked for a company that was so vague on policies and had no reference binder set for employees. I had an ASM who had been with the company over 2 years and had no idea what some policies were... like you are required to take a 30 min break if working over 6 hours at a time.... Completely inexcusable and no one is there to enforce it....

Been in the business for a long time hoping for change, but not much changes yet.

Assistant Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Deb Shops full-time

Prosemployees get 40% discount on clothes

ConsVery stressful, because they expect you to be able to do everything
High turnover! Lots of changes in upper managers constantly and associates.
Raises sucks. Sales and priorities always are changing, they can never make up mind on what sale to do, or figuring out priorities.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease give more higher raises! Don't be afraid to get rid of incompetent people including management.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Worked for Deb Shops? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Deb Shops reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Deb Shops CEO Dawn Robertson. All 69 reviews are posted anonymously by Deb Shops employees.