Dell

3.3 3,494 reviews

Dell Chairman and CEO Michael S. Dell

Michael S. Dell

(2,161 ratings)

Pros
  • work life balance; flexible work hours; empowered individual contributors(in 468 reviews)

• They give you a very nice laptop and dock so you can work from home when needed(in 158 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance can become a challenge; frequent reorganizations affect work quality(in 146 reviews)

• The senior management reporting to Michael is very uneven with a couple of real bozos(in 75 reviews)

3,494 Employee Reviews

Sales

Sales Representative (Former Employee) Sydney

ProsStrong sales culture, good incentives, motivated team "on the floor" and growing portfolio of capabilities including easy conversation starters with WYSE, Quest software and hosting services.

Good work life balance and decent rewards when over-achievement happens.

ConsGrowing layers of approvers before things can happen , lukewarm ability to execute on Services and disconnect between Sales and Support.

Lack of communication from the most senior levels in the organisation over the last 12 months.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire for cultural fit, choose battles (and deals) Dell can win then go for it.

Sales-driven organization, numbers on your back everyday. Multiple sales call in a week.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Sydney

ProsLearnt a lot in this role, good products, always about price, great culture, great staff, northern beaches location.

ConsHappy to undercut channel, a constant challenge between direct and channel.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement always positive about outlook in tough times.

Great people, strong products, awesome client range!

Sales Engineer (Current Employee) Melbourne

ProsThe company has a very positive and supportive culture. Everyone will work to support and teach one another, regardless of if you work in their patch. Our enterprise products are second to none, and this is important as our customers trust us.

ConsYour first week is like drinking straight from the firehose! Prepare to think, and move quickly.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be afraid to take risks, and don't say the things other managers want to hear... This will kill the company in the long-term.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great job

Senior Manager (Former Employee) Sydney

ProsThe connected home program was a great initiative for some on the staff that qualified. Good management teams and great colleagues and good social events.

ConsToo many re-orgs and Changes, I had 5 managers in 3 years at one stage but my last manager I had for 3 years and was great.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to get rid of the non contributors and get a fresh senior mangement team which vendor experience other than Dell.

Very good company to work for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros- Excellent induction training
    - Good managers
    - Supprotive team membranes
    - Good work/life balance
    - Good career prospective with condition of acquiring the required training
    - Training and certification payment for approved certifications

Cons- Higher levels engineers lack management skills
    - Organisation structure very flat for some departments
    - Internal IT support is poor
    - Slow career progression and advancement to next steps
    - Management Inflexibility

Advice to Senior Management- Need to add another management layer; that's team leaders

Not enjoyable

Sales Representative (Former Employee)

ProsSome good peers. Established networks within industry.

ConsUncertain direction. Trying to play catchup to rest of industry, but there does not appear to be any real strategy (or competitive advantage being created). I found myself very confused on what type of mind share we are working towards when doing business with my clients.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou either need to communicate the direction better with employees or put some effort in getting an actual strategy in place.

Good company - too many people not doing much..

Condultant (Former Employee) Sydney

ProsGreat company to work for - they spend a lot of money on you - parties etc are very good. Management could be good or bad but mostly, a good company with great atmosphere.

ConsThere are too many people (or were when I was there) that dont anything - hard to tell what exactly they do. Even when you ask these guys that question - they seem to be lost, can't explain what exactly they do...

Advice to Senior ManagementYou need to get rid of these people who are not required and promote people who are doing a good job.

exciting, fast paced and ever changing environment

Financial Advisor (Former Employee) Sydney

Prosnever a bored moment, good team work and management

Consif you don't like change then beware the only constant is permanent change

Good for people who know how to do their job

Consultant (Former Employee) Sydney

ProsGood salary
    Overall good to work for

ConsToo many people doing not much
    Politics is rampant

Advice to Senior Managementweed out the useless!

Transformation

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsCommitted to it but not at the expense of qtr goals

Constoo quick to downgrade long term opps

Advice to Senior Managementit takes time, PCs sell now; solutions may take qtrs to close, look at the big picture

Worked for Dell? Contribute to the Community!