Deloitte

6,680 Reviews

Deloitte Global CEO Barry Salzberg
Barry Salzberg
1,450 Ratings

Pros
  • There are options for partial telecommuting which contributes to work/life balance (in 459 reviews)

• Great place to start your career as a recent graduate who is looking for experience (in 163 reviews)

Cons
  • As per me not a long term career option for people who give imp to work life balance (in 1207 reviews)

• Literally no work life balance(Or No life only work) as a Center associate (in 244 reviews)

More Highlights

479 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great company - but big and slow

Current Employee - Senior Consultant  in  Arlington, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Arlington, VA (US)

I have been working at Deloitte full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Deloitte is the world's largest professional services firm - so it literally does a bit of everything, with a base of clients that spans every industry and geography. Promotion is straightforward and transparent; those willing to work hard (and smart) can move ahead.

Cons

Compensation is a serious issue for staff here; despite being highly profitable the firm underpays its employees relative to competitors. Churn is fairly commonplace and most junior staff don't see a reason to stay for more than 2-4 years.

There's a focus on Deloitte's "Big Firm, Small Feel" efforts. Make it real and not just a catchy headline.

Deloitte has been an intense working environment, but has provided me with tools and training that set me up for success

Current Employee - Senior Consultant  in  Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at Deloitte full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Some of the best reasons to work at Deloitte are:

1) Name recognition - The firm is recognized across the industry as producing top talent
    2) Training - Amazing training opportunities that are free and part of your required work throughout the year (PMP, LSS, ITIL, SCRUM, etc.)
    3) People - The people I work with constantly challenge me and create a unique competitive working environment that forces you to adapt and grow.

Cons

1) The hours can be long and if you are looking for a 9-5 job, Deloitte is not for you
    2) You are constantly competing against your colleagues at year end for ratings and bonuses. As you get higher in the firm, colleagues may stab you in the back to get new business and ensure their own success at your cost

I believe that the firm needs to examine the way they compensate people with clearances. They have finally recognized that compensation is necessary to retain top talent within the National Security Sector, however it still lags behind other firms in the amount awarded.

The Best of the Big Four

Current Employee - Senior Consultant  in  Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at Deloitte full-time for more than a year

Pros

Of the big four consulting firms, Deloitte probably has the best culture, investment in your training, and support your professional growth, and even your work-life balance Benefits and perks are very competitive. I've met a number of people now who are exiting Booz Allen Hamilton for Deloitte. That says something. From a CEO perspective, the company is aggressive in its focus on competing in the marketplace, too.

Cons

The only con is that if yo u want to be a big-time manager or even just manage 5+ people, you may have to wait awhile. Deloitte is an awesome place to start a career, though.

Keep up the great work of treating your employees well!!!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Your ability to network effectively truly defines what your experience will be

Current Employee - Consultant  in  Arlington, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Consultant in Arlington, VA (US)

I have been working at Deloitte full-time for more than a year

Pros

For the most part, the people at this firm are amazing. It's a great feeling to work with people that are on par with you intellectually. Everyone who works here is motivating and stimulating and outgoing and most of the time more than willing to help. This is a huge firm with endless opportunities so while it's easy to get stuck or trapped on one project or in one area, the opportunities do exist for changing your entire career without ever leaving the firm if you're willing to work hard enough for it. AWESOME PTO benefits - starting at 5 weeks straight from campus.

Cons

Difficult to balance your time with such high expectations - sometimes feels like having two jobs when you need to deliver for your client as well as contribute back to Deloitte through business development and people and eminence contributions. Sometimes the "own your own career" motto can be feel untrue when the direction you want to go doesn't align with the direction the firm needs you to head in.

Consider spending more time properly aligning incoming hires to areas aligned with their existing skill sets and interests/passions to prevent apathetic feelings towards project work and to increase employee retention.

Good to gain a lot of experience

Current Employee - Associate 6  in  Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - Associate 6 in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at Deloitte full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A lot of business development opportunities. They give bonuses and promotions every year. A lot of opportunity for growth. Plenty of volunteer opportunities. Looks great on resume. Great health benefits. Great parental leave (100% paid maternity and paternity leave). They pay up to $500/year for health and fitness memberships. Opportunity for travel.

Cons

401K matching is practically non-existent. Depending on your level, the work/life balance isn't all that balanced. Although Deloitte gives promotions, it isn't all of that great. They will overwork you if you let them.

Collaborative and rewarding work environment

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at Deloitte full-time

Pros

Great opportunities to work in a variety of industries and for a variety of very smart and driven professionals. Great culture of supporting junior staff growth. Structured teams provided a small company feel.

Cons

Working in consulting means your work can come in waves and sometimes late nights or weekend work is necessary, so flexibility is very important.

awesome

Current Employee - Consulting Senior Manager  in  Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - Consulting Senior Manager in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at Deloitte full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

personal growth . . .

Cons

long hours . .

work-life balance

A career building company with great senior management and leadership.

Current Employee - Senior Consultant  in  Arlington, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Arlington, VA (US)

I have been working at Deloitte full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Deloitte invests in their people, providing ample opportunity to enhance one's career through trainings, certifications, graduate assistance programs, internal firm contributions and client opportunities.

Cons

Compensation is competitive, but who would want more money.

Overall very satisfied. Work/Life balance is coming along. In the professional client service space it is hard to achieve a great work/life balance, but Deloitte is working on flexible work schedules and it is improving.

Is the Juice worth the squeeze?

Current Employee - Consulting Manager  in  Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - Consulting Manager in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at Deloitte full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

(1) Know what you are getting into. This isn't a marriage...Deloitte wants you because they can sell you and make money off the top (like a traditional staffing firm). They aren't there to baby you or hold your hands (200,000+ employees can't be THAT personal). Since you can't sell yourself and cut out Deloitte, you have to know that you are there for one of the following: $, the "experience", the network, or the name (most likely the name and the $$).
    (2) Use them as much as they use you - take advantage of the travel, the fitness reimbursements, the pay, tuition, maternity/paternity leave, the clients, mediocre training, certifications, and most importantly the network. The next real step after deloitte is to start your own firm, go to industry, join another firm, or undergo a career change.
    (3) The best jobs at deloitte are the innovation team, the visualization studio team, and then staffing team (or internal project). The first two because they are cutting edge firm initiatives that secure tons of client work. The latter because its a high paying position that can be done virtually.
    (4) Managers do the heavy lifting, SCs, Consultants, and analysts have the highest ROI and do busy work, Sr. Managers are there to win work and split time on engagements, PPDs are there for their network and sheep herding. Take advantage of this breakdown!
    (5) This company is a money making machine. If you like tech adoption or system integration (90% of projects)., you can make a killing here and be very happy.

Cons

(1) 95% of the time the projects aren't the least bit interesting. Everyone shooting for partner wants to make a buck on their bread and butter tech implementation. The only way to land a "cool" project is to spearhead the effort of have someone in your network pursuing the engagement. Otherwise, you will be staffed to the first thing that resembles a fit. Again 200,000+ employees - all need to be staffed.
    (2) The rating system is bogus. You get a 1-5 rating for each project. Kiss enough butt you can get a 2. 1 is literally not an option to select on your assessment! If you are on a 1 yr project for a short phase and deserve a 2, and even give yourself a 2, you will get slammed with a 3 since there are other people who will be on the project longer and they will cry if they don't get one of the few (LIMITED) 3's. I've been told in confidence that this was the case on two assignments I was on. Will I try hard on my next project?....
    (3) Its all about who you know. A true networking paradigm/ frat house/ etc. If you want to get promoted or recognized at Year end, this is how you do it.
    (4) Upward feedback is a joke. Want to rate your team/ superiors after each project (like you are evaluated)? Nope! You have wait till the week before your Year End submission to evaluate these guys. Guess what, they will be called upon for your annual evaluation a few weeks later and can surely pick you out of a review (good/bad) if it was done a week prior!
    (5) Commercial travel is the pits! I've traveled 6 days a week for 5 months (cross country) only to work 15 hr days, eat poorly, forget about exercising, and be treated like a lemming by the project leads.

Create an environment where people can explore different service offerings. Have a 360 feedback system available after each engagement (PE). Have bonuses every 6 months to actually "pay for performance". The "bait and switch" routine is getting old: Intersted in Project A...come on aboard, by the way the scope just changed and the work is 2x as long, 1/2 the resources, and has nothing to do with Project A!

Solid first job out of school and got me into the MBA program I wanted to go to.

Former Employee - HRT Consultant  in  Washington, DC (US)
    Former Employee - HRT Consultant in Washington, DC (US)

I worked at Deloitte full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are a lot of great people working there, and for the most part there is a very collaborative culture.
    PTO/benefits package was pretty great (20 days PTO with up to 5 weeks carrying-over).
    Depends on experience, but I was not really forced onto any projects I did not want and I was able to pick what opportunities/engagements I wanted to work on.
    I was able to find several good mentors within the firm that helped me navigate my career and my away around the company.

Cons

They do not treat experienced hires well (especially junior staff). Unless you negotiate well, you will be routinely making anywhere from 10% - 25% less than people at your level (including people with less experience).

The amount of time they expect you to put into internal Practice Development work (not including 40 hours of training) is extremely frustrating, given how many of the efforts bring the firm no value and are literally just reduplicating ongoing efforts or something that has been done by firm practitioners in the past.

You are either all-in on Deloitte or you are not. They force the brand on you at all times.

Worked for Deloitte? Contribute to the Community!