Demand Media Reviews

Updated 16 August 2014

3.5

Demand Media Co-founder and Interim CEO Shawn Colo
Shawn Colo

Pros
  • Can work from home, library, coffeeshop, anywhere my laptop can get the internet (in 6 reviews)

• Demand Media has great perks like Free Lunch Friday, Beer Friday, team culture events and outings like movie night and baseball games (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • The upper management couldn't care less about the morale of the employees (in 4 reviews)

• After trying and failing to acquire authorization in a special topic, I stopped looking for articles (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

Entry level online editing - all electronic

Former Employee - Online Titling  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Online Titling in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Demand Media as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Best place to be for an electronic 1099 position for word gurus. Flexible work from home; Innovative - all electronic communication from hiring--to work assignments--to team interaction--paid via Paypal. Great team members. Opportunity to grow. Excellent colleagues who work hard and appreciate the importance of punctuation, grammar and writing integrity.

Cons

Demand's HR process does not fit with corporate HR verification process. Since compensation was based on production - if work volume was low, weekly income was affected.

Freelance Writing Experience Simultaneously Rewarding and Frustrating

Current Employee - Freelance Writer  in  Baltimore, MD (US)
    Current Employee - Freelance Writer in Baltimore, MD (US)

I have been working at Demand Media as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

I have been a freelance contract writer for Demand Media for several years.

Demand's system allows me to sign into an online virtual "work desk" from my computer, choose article topics that interest me, write the articles, and -- if the editors approve the articles -- get paid for them. The online virtual "work desk" is really well-designed, and enables me to produce articles, see copies of past articles, review article payments, sign in to forums for writers and editors, and many other good features.

I am paid regularly (twice a week) via Paypal. I receive approximately $25 to $30 per article. Articles are published very promptly.

Writing these articles sharpened my research and writing skills. When I first went to work for Demand, I was a bit long-winded as a writer. Conforming to their requirements forced me to write in a punchier, clearer, more informative and colloquial style.

Demand also insisted on thorough research for articles in my specialties (law, business, finance, careers, health care), forcing me to be more careful in my choice of references.

Demand enabled me to get back into freelance writing after years away from freelance writing spent in other careers.

Cons

Demand funnels each submitted article to an anonymous pool of copy editors (CEs) assigned to each special topic section.

For writers used to working with one or two editors on a regular first name basis and becoming familiar with their preferences, constantly having your articles reviewed by strangers -- usually anonymous -- can be stressful.

Demand's editorial guidelines are ridiculously complex, and management has recently added "The Associated Press Stylebook" requirements to Demand's own internal guidelines, making it very difficult to write articles that conform 'perfectly' to the two sets of guidelines.

CEs have difficulty applying two sets of guidelines, leading to situations in which one CE will approve an article using certain types of references or grammatical uses and the next CE will reject a very similar article, objecting to those same references or grammatical uses. This can affect a writer's overall "scores" from CEs, causing writer ratings to fluctuate dramatically, even if a writer's style has not changed.

In addition, the CEs are of uneven quality. Some are very experienced, conscientious and polite; others are inexperienced and/or rude. Demand allows writers to rate CEs anonymously, and CEs rate writers anonymously on writer "scorecards." CE ratings of writers seem to count for more than writer ratings of CEs.

I would suggest that Demand assign writers to one or two CEs in each section and give them a chance to communicate with them regularly on a first name basis, as opposed to the current system of nearly anonymous editing.

If a writer and CE don't get along, give the writer (or the CE) the option of transferring the writer to a different CE. If a writer "flunks out" with three or four CEs, then the writer probably has a problem. If a CE consistently 'loses' writers, then that CE has a problem. You'll quickly weed out the poor quality writers and CEs using that method.

I would also suggest that Demand use just one set of editorial guidelines, instead of two.

Flexible hours.

I have been working at Demand Media

Pros

You are given seven days to complete articles you choose to write.

Cons

Guidelines are strict. Your communication with the copy editor is limited. You have one opportunity to make corrections after submitting an article for review and receiving copy editor revision requests.

Allow more communication between writers and copy editors.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Heavy cowboy mentality

Former Employee - NOC Analyst  in  Kirkland, WA (US)
    Former Employee - NOC Analyst in Kirkland, WA (US)

I worked at Demand Media full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Smart people
    Good atmosphere
    Culture is pretty good
    Flexible

Cons

Everything is run in a chaotic manner
    Most outages and SLA issues caused internally due to lack of oversight
    Very high turnover in IT support
    Mid to upper management is a good ol boy system

Listen to people with operations experience. Take a real survey of wasted man hours and equate that to dollars lost, then correlate to how much of that is caused by internal idiocy.

Good learning experience, great perks, management lacks vision & organization

Former Employee - Sales Operations  in  Santa Monica, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Operations in Santa Monica, CA (US)

I worked at Demand Media full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good working environment: coworkers are friendly, smart and good to work with. Demand Media has great perks like Free Lunch Friday, Beer Friday, team culture events and outings like movie night and baseball games @ Dodger Stadium. Good health benefits and vacation (you start with 3 weeks).

Cons

Upper management is constantly changing its position and lacks vision. Every quarter, they change directions and focus on a new department instead of investing on the previous quarter's "great new idea".

Was once a great place to build experience, but no more

Former Employee - Contributing Writer
    Former Employee - Contributing Writer

I worked at Demand Media part-time for less than a year

Pros

These are things I liked about Demand when I started writing for them, under the old system:

-Served as an entry point for new writers looking to build a portfolio (way back when)
    -Flexible hours
    -Remote work
    -Choice of topics (way back when)
    -Message boards for writers
    -Quick responses from editors
    -Range of assignments offered (way back when)

Cons

-Low payment per article
    -Competition amongst writers for topics
    -The company changed its entire approach to content creation and management. To be honest, this has resulted in better quality product for them. However, when the change was made, information was misleading and it felt like management was trying to conceal what they were doing. Concerned writers on the message boards did not have their questions answered directly. While I don't believe anyone was "fired," the new model made it impossible for many new and less experienced writers to find any assignments they were deemed qualified to write. After trying and failing to acquire authorization in a special topic, I stopped looking for articles.

I wish the transition would have been handled more directly. Many writers would have still been upset by the changes, but I think they would have been more receptive and accepting if the plan and its implications had been made clear from the start.

Great Working Experience

Current Employee - Software QA Engineer  in  Kirkland, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Software QA Engineer in Kirkland, WA (US)

I have been working at Demand Media full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fun loving people, work culture allows you to contribute and grow in career. Great benefits as well. Innovation is fostered.

Cons

I thoroughly enjoyed my tenure at Demand Media. No Cons for me.

It was a great learning experience.

Former Employee - Sales Coordinator
    Former Employee - Sales Coordinator

I worked at Demand Media full-time for more than a year

Pros

Room for growth and creative environment

Cons

I don't have any cons about the company

Small Company Great work culture

I have been working at Demand Media

Pros

Small Company Great work culture. Respect people as human being..Enjoying working here.

Cons

Lot of -ve news is in the media recently...But this is nothing do with employee environment.Good and competitive pay and benefits.

They didn't have a real program set up for an intern. I was just there for show.

Former Employee - Intern  in  New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Demand Media as an intern for less than a year

Pros

All the people who worked there were very nice to me. The work was easy because there was little to no work. I got to meet some people who were big players in the company but that didn't matter because i'm sure they forgot my name instantly.

Cons

Unpaid internship where there was nothing to do. I basically wasted an entire summer sitting at a desk for no money browsing the internet. I attempted to reach out and get projects but they only had me do tedious tasks.

You very honestly should not hire an intern unless you set up a more formal program. There was very little for me to do and very little supervising involved in my time. I think there were a lot of things I could have done that would have benefitted both me and the company.

Worked for Demand Media? Contribute to the Community!