Demand Media

Updated 25 September 2014
Updated 25 September 2014
3.3

Sean Moriarty

Pros
  • Can work from home, library, coffeeshop, anywhere my laptop can get the internet (in 7 reviews)

• Free lunch every Friday was icing on the cake (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management is constantly changing its position and lacks vision (in 4 reviews)

• Some of the topics were very obscure so there were times I wouldn't be able to write any articles (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Place to work at

I have been working at Demand Media

Pros

Great people to work with and more potential for growth than other companies. We have beer fridays and free lunch on Fridays and a fully stocked kitchen. Management is great and willing to help teach and encourage growth. I think that Demand Media has a great culture and that the people makes the environment a great place to work at.

Cons

The outlook of the company is pretty stagnant.

It's fine. It's plenty of work, but the freelance setup can be frustrating

Former Employee - Freelance Contributor
    Former Employee - Freelance Contributor

I worked at Demand Media as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

work your own hours

plenty of work to do and projects to work on

Once you're accepted you can begin writing right away

Content is on major websites all over the world

Cons

Websites all have different styles, standards, and even at times different systems for selecting content (Cracked a great example) and therefore you have to be aware of these differences, I wasn't always made aware of the differences too much.

Pay is mediocre

Focus on quality of freelance staff, not quantity.

Account Manager

Current Employee - Account Manager  in  New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Account Manager in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Demand Media part-time

Pros

Great Team, Work Culture - everyone was very smart and had great ideas. You work with world class people.

Cons

Too much to do - very Demanding. There was a lack of support. The team I was on was small so there was a lot of gossip which was unfortunate. Professionalism was needed.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sinking ship. Avoid if you value job security

Former Employee - Director  in  Santa Monica, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Director in Santa Monica, CA (US)

I worked at Demand Media full-time

Pros

Some great people work here. The coffee machines are nice. Plenty of space to spread out since the brand new office has so few people in it now.

Cons

This place is a sinking ship. All the quality leadership has left in the last year. The site teams haven't made much progress in reversing the enormous drop in site traffic and the current focus on content marketing is over ambitious and lacks real growth opportunities. The stock is in perpetual decline. Santa Monica is loaded with better tech companies to work for.

Sell and cut your losses.

Treats editorial people well, at times undervalues editorial content

Former Employee - Director of Editorial  in  Santa Monica, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Director of Editorial in Santa Monica, CA (US)

I worked at Demand Media full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great work environment, super intelligent people, competitive salary with equity bonuses, awesome office location

Cons

Commoditizes creative content, sometimes pushes shareholder value at the expense of the product, invests in short term gains over long term stability

Spend more time shoring up smaller properties to become good businesses, get some creative/content/technical people in leadership roles to balance the finance people, sometimes it's ok to just develop stable small businesses instead of trying to hit home runs with massive profit margins

Entry level online editing - all electronic

Former Employee - Online Titling  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Online Titling in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Demand Media as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Best place to be for an electronic 1099 position for word gurus. Flexible work from home; Innovative - all electronic communication from hiring--to work assignments--to team interaction--paid via Paypal. Great team members. Opportunity to grow. Excellent colleagues who work hard and appreciate the importance of punctuation, grammar and writing integrity.

Cons

Demand's HR process does not fit with corporate HR verification process. Since compensation was based on production - if work volume was low, weekly income was affected.

Freelance Writing Experience Simultaneously Rewarding and Frustrating

Current Employee - Freelance Writer  in  Baltimore, MD (US)
    Current Employee - Freelance Writer in Baltimore, MD (US)

I have been working at Demand Media as a contractor for more than 3 years

Pros

I have been a freelance contract writer for Demand Media for several years.

Demand's system allows me to sign into an online virtual "work desk" from my computer, choose article topics that interest me, write the articles, and -- if the editors approve the articles -- get paid for them. The online virtual "work desk" is really well-designed, and enables me to produce articles, see copies of past articles, review article payments, sign in to forums for writers and editors, and many other good features.

I am paid regularly (twice a week) via Paypal. I receive approximately $25 to $30 per article. Articles are published very promptly.

Writing these articles sharpened my research and writing skills. When I first went to work for Demand, I was a bit long-winded as a writer. Conforming to their requirements forced me to write in a punchier, clearer, more informative and colloquial style.

Demand also insisted on thorough research for articles in my specialties (law, business, finance, careers, health care), forcing me to be more careful in my choice of references.

Demand enabled me to get back into freelance writing after years away from freelance writing spent in other careers.

Cons

Demand funnels each submitted article to an anonymous pool of copy editors (CEs) assigned to each special topic section.

For writers used to working with one or two editors on a regular first name basis and becoming familiar with their preferences, constantly having your articles reviewed by strangers -- usually anonymous -- can be stressful.

Demand's editorial guidelines are ridiculously complex, and management has recently added "The Associated Press Stylebook" requirements to Demand's own internal guidelines, making it very difficult to write articles that conform 'perfectly' to the two sets of guidelines.

CEs have difficulty applying two sets of guidelines, leading to situations in which one CE will approve an article using certain types of references or grammatical uses and the next CE will reject a very similar article, objecting to those same references or grammatical uses. This can affect a writer's overall "scores" from CEs, causing writer ratings to fluctuate dramatically, even if a writer's style has not changed.

In addition, the CEs are of uneven quality. Some are very experienced, conscientious and polite; others are inexperienced and/or rude. Demand allows writers to rate CEs anonymously, and CEs rate writers anonymously on writer "scorecards." CE ratings of writers seem to count for more than writer ratings of CEs.

I would suggest that Demand assign writers to one or two CEs in each section and give them a chance to communicate with them regularly on a first name basis, as opposed to the current system of nearly anonymous editing.

If a writer and CE don't get along, give the writer (or the CE) the option of transferring the writer to a different CE. If a writer "flunks out" with three or four CEs, then the writer probably has a problem. If a CE consistently 'loses' writers, then that CE has a problem. You'll quickly weed out the poor quality writers and CEs using that method.

I would also suggest that Demand use just one set of editorial guidelines, instead of two.

Flexible hours.

I have been working at Demand Media

Pros

You are given seven days to complete articles you choose to write.

Cons

Guidelines are strict. Your communication with the copy editor is limited. You have one opportunity to make corrections after submitting an article for review and receiving copy editor revision requests.

Allow more communication between writers and copy editors.

Heavy cowboy mentality

Former Employee - NOC Analyst  in  Kirkland, WA (US)
    Former Employee - NOC Analyst in Kirkland, WA (US)

I worked at Demand Media full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Smart people
    Good atmosphere
    Culture is pretty good
    Flexible

Cons

Everything is run in a chaotic manner
    Most outages and SLA issues caused internally due to lack of oversight
    Very high turnover in IT support
    Mid to upper management is a good ol boy system

Listen to people with operations experience. Take a real survey of wasted man hours and equate that to dollars lost, then correlate to how much of that is caused by internal idiocy.

Good learning experience, great perks, management lacks vision & organization

Former Employee - Sales Operations  in  Santa Monica, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Operations in Santa Monica, CA (US)

I worked at Demand Media full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good working environment: coworkers are friendly, smart and good to work with. Demand Media has great perks like Free Lunch Friday, Beer Friday, team culture events and outings like movie night and baseball games @ Dodger Stadium. Good health benefits and vacation (you start with 3 weeks).

Cons

Upper management is constantly changing its position and lacks vision. Every quarter, they change directions and focus on a new department instead of investing on the previous quarter's "great new idea".

Worked for Demand Media? Contribute to the Community!