Demand Media

Updated 23 January 2015
Updated 23 January 2015

Demand Media Chief Executive Officer Sean Moriarty
Sean Moriarty

Pros
  • Can work from home, library, coffeeshop, anywhere my laptop can get the internet (in 8 reviews)

• Free lunch every Friday was icing on the cake (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Demand funnels each submitted article to an anonymous pool of copy editors (CEs) assigned to each special topic section (in 5 reviews)

• Demand Media is also notorious for low pay per industry standard, which is typically justified by throwing in stock options (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

Entry level online editing - all electronic

Former Employee - Online Titling in Chicago, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Online Titling in Chicago, IL (US)

I worked at Demand Media as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Best place to be for an electronic 1099 position for word gurus. Flexible work from home; Innovative - all electronic communication from hiring--to work assignments--to team interaction--paid via Paypal. Great team members. Opportunity to grow. Excellent colleagues who work hard and appreciate the importance of punctuation, grammar and writing integrity.

Cons

Demand's HR process does not fit with corporate HR verification process. Since compensation was based on production - if work volume was low, weekly income was affected.

Was once a great place to build experience, but no more

Former Employee - Contributing Writer
    Former Employee - Contributing Writer

I worked at Demand Media part-time (less than an year)

Pros

These are things I liked about Demand when I started writing for them, under the old system:

-Served as an entry point for new writers looking to build a portfolio (way back when)
    -Flexible hours
    -Remote work
    -Choice of topics (way back when)
    -Message boards for writers
    -Quick responses from editors
    -Range of assignments offered (way back when)

Cons

-Low payment per article
    -Competition amongst writers for topics
    -The company changed its entire approach to content creation and management. To be honest, this has resulted in better quality product for them. However, when the change was made, information was misleading and it felt like management was trying to conceal what they were doing. Concerned writers on the message boards did not have their questions answered directly. While I don't believe anyone was "fired," the new model made it impossible for many new and less experienced writers to find any assignments they were deemed qualified to write. After trying and failing to acquire authorization in a special topic, I stopped looking for articles.

I wish the transition would have been handled more directly. Many writers would have still been upset by the changes, but I think they would have been more receptive and accepting if the plan and its implications had been made clear from the start.

Good learning experience, great perks, management lacks vision & organization

Former Employee - Sales Operations in Santa Monica, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Operations in Santa Monica, CA (US)

I worked at Demand Media full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Good working environment: coworkers are friendly, smart and good to work with. Demand Media has great perks like Free Lunch Friday, Beer Friday, team culture events and outings like movie night and baseball games @ Dodger Stadium. Good health benefits and vacation (you start with 3 weeks).

Cons

Upper management is constantly changing its position and lacks vision. Every quarter, they change directions and focus on a new department instead of investing on the previous quarter's "great new idea".

Great Working Experience

Current Employee - Software QA Engineer in Kirkland, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Software QA Engineer in Kirkland, WA (US)

I have been working at Demand Media full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun loving people, work culture allows you to contribute and grow in career. Great benefits as well. Innovation is fostered.

Cons

I thoroughly enjoyed my tenure at Demand Media. No Cons for me.

It was a great learning experience.

Former Employee - Sales Coordinator
    Former Employee - Sales Coordinator

I worked at Demand Media full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Room for growth and creative environment

Cons

I don't have any cons about the company

Great

I have been working at Demand Media

Pros

interactive work environment, great people

Cons

not stable, can change structure dramatically

Small Company Great work culture

I have been working at Demand Media

Pros

Small Company Great work culture. Respect people as human being..Enjoying working here.

Cons

Lot of -ve news is in the media recently...But this is nothing do with employee environment.Good and competitive pay and benefits.

Web article content writing ups and downs.

Current Employee - Content Writer in Rochester, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Content Writer in Rochester, NY (US)

I have been working at Demand Media as a contractor (more than 5 years)

Pros

Prompt payment, variety of assignments, work as little or as much as you need to.

Cons

rules constantly change, not always a lot of articles to write and new editors take awhile to break in

A review of current writers in your database for other assignments, rather than requesting each person interested in new or special assignments to do an application for each position would be helpful. You would get better quality writing for these new or special assignments because these are people who already know Demand Media rules.

They didn't have a real program set up for an intern. I was just there for show.

Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Intern in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Demand Media as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

All the people who worked there were very nice to me. The work was easy because there was little to no work. I got to meet some people who were big players in the company but that didn't matter because i'm sure they forgot my name instantly.

Cons

Unpaid internship where there was nothing to do. I basically wasted an entire summer sitting at a desk for no money browsing the internet. I attempted to reach out and get projects but they only had me do tedious tasks.

You very honestly should not hire an intern unless you set up a more formal program. There was very little for me to do and very little supervising involved in my time. I think there were a lot of things I could have done that would have benefitted both me and the company.

Incredibly Frustrating Freelance Experience

Current Employee - Writer in Santa Monica, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Writer in Santa Monica, CA (US)

I have been working at Demand Media as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Prompt payment. They pay by PayPal twice a week, and are rarely late.

Cons

Most editors have never had to experience all of the idiotic rules that Demand places on their writers. The titles are machine-generated based on SEO algorithms, so the available articles are mostly completely impossible to complete. When you find an article in which you can take an angle to satisfy the title, the editors will reject it because the source doesn't list the title verbatim. For instance, an example of an available title were, "Requirements for Private Sleuth in Iowa," you could easily show that Private Sleuth is a synonym for Private Detective, and complete the article based on one or more of the few legitimate sources that isn't on their list of hundreds of blacklisted sites. The editor would more then likely reject the article because the sources didn't specifically "Private Sleuth" in the source, stating that a private sleuth and a private detective aren't necessarily the same thing.

Google is dumping content farm-generated content like that from Demand Media. It's time to recreate your SEO-based algorithm for generating titles with titles that are generated by humans on subjects that people would actually want to read. Once you've done that, don't hire a single editor who hasn't contributed at least 500 articles to Demand Media projects. Most of the editors don't have a clue as to what it takes to write under all of your ridiculous rules.