Department for Work And Pensions

Updated Feb 08, 2014

Department for Work And Pensions Permanent Secretary Robert Devereux

Robert Devereux

great

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Department for Work And Pensions

Prosgreat benefits and the co-workers make the company great

Conscareer advancement difficult without having friends in upper management

Complete disgrace of an organisation!!!

Customer Service Agent (Current Employee)
London, England (UK)

I have been working at Department for Work And Pensions full-time for more than 8 years

ProsA warm, dry environment- that's the best I can think of

ConsAnyone who has worked in private industry and comes here will get shock of their lives. If you work yourself into the ground, come in early, leave late, skip lunch answer every call and customer or actually care about getting everything done you will get exactly the same as the guy who sits looking at football results on his screen. You'll love this job if you are useless, if you don't know anything about digital applications and if you've been there since the 70's/80's and are just seeing out your time. The I.T. is terrible, leading to complete staff meltdowns. In an effort to save money they have stopped ordering basic items like calanders and note pads which are essential items especially when constantly discussing benefit payment dates and staff have to buy their own, they also took away the water machines. They could save millions in man hours if they looked at why staff have to input the same info onto three or four systems so information can be accessed instead of devising a system where it can all be pulled off of one system. You have at least three forms for everything. If there is a complicated way- they will find it. All decisions are made by back of house people who stand for hours talking about the other staff in poorly disguised whispers- these people will tell you what to do and how easy it is to do and check your work, but no way could they do the front line customer facing themselves and if you suggest they try, they are too busy to try. To top it all off- when you are customer facing you will be faced with all manner of insults from addicts etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't make ANY decisions regarding customer facing officers unless you can PROVE you can do it first. Sort your I.T., make the P.D.P. System more varied- you have rubbish and good staff in same bandings.

I would like to hear soon from you

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Department for Work And Pensions full-time for more than 5 years

ProsMy best reason to work with this company is because I am a social worker and also have enough experiences.

ConsI really need a job because I do have family to take care.

Advice to Senior ManagementTeam work for an excellent improvement.

Some interesting work affecting many people, but a lack of passion and 9am-5pm mentality

Summer Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at Department for Work And Pensions as an intern for less than a year

ProsExcellent work-life balance, flexible hours and ability to actually take holidays you are allocated, even as an intern. Excellent pay for interns which actually allows for decent survival in London. It is not a problem to intern as a non-British national - you get lots of chance to explore London outside of office hours unlike some other interns in the city. Great for people looking for a 9-5 job with good pay and not so much emphasis on career progression.

ConsLittle work with real responsibility is given to interns, as there are so many people working on your projects already. Very few people are passionate about their work here and getting certain things done like your registration with IT can be an administrative nightmare.

Advice to Senior ManagementInterns can make a real impact even in a short summer internship lasting ~10 weeks. They only need to be given the chance and be trusted to do good work.

Technical Support Technician with having 6+ years experience

Technical Support Technician (Current Employee)
Hyderābād (India)

I have been working at Department for Work And Pensions full-time for more than 5 years

ProsHaving 6+ years experience in IT

ConsManagement should be recognize the hard-work employees

Manegeering business,and department for work and pensions.

Manegeering Business (Current Employee)
Bacolod, Bacolod (Philippines)

I have been working at Department for Work And Pensions full-time for less than a year

ProsFor the better result of the development ,and for those who is capable to do their work completely.

ConsBeginning to appreciate the work you're doing,and to think what is more important in our business.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would like to advice some rules and regulations in work that is perfectly do right ,and do your work according to the management of the business

Great people, terrible ministers. Leave your morals at the door.

Senior Policy Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Department for Work And Pensions full-time for more than 8 years

ProsBig organisation, plenty of opportunity to move around and do different things. High media profile for the work, but it's all horrible coverage.

ConsEssentially an evil tool that talks in Orwellian doublespeak - says the right things and then churns out policies and operations that basically screw everyone they come into contact with.

Good Entry Level

Personal Adviser (Current Employee)
London, England (UK)

ProsGood Money/ Great Balance with Social life/Some good people/ Good laugh/ Inspiring People/ Rewarding with success stories.

ConsCustomer/ Pace of Change/ Inconsistent rules

1-2 year

Adop Worker (Current Employee)
Etāwah, Uttar Pradesh (India)

I have been working at Department for Work And Pensions part-time for more than a year

Prosi want some thing differnt.

Conswe do all work whose gave our officer.

Advice to Senior Managementwork hard

Very helpful and Compassionate

I have been working at Department for Work And Pensions full-time

ProsAlways someone with knowledge to help

Conscall Centres, long waiting times

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the good work up and your compassion to those who really need you

Worked for Department for Work And Pensions? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Department for Work And Pensions reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Department for Work And Pensions CEO Robert Devereux. All 22 reviews are posted anonymously by Department for Work And Pensions employees.