Department for Work And Pensions

2.9

Department for Work And Pensions Permanent Secretary Robert Devereux
Robert Devereux

Change, change, change

Former Employee - Administrative Officer in Nottingham, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Administrative Officer in Nottingham, England (UK)

I worked at Department for Work And Pensions full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Sick pay, good colleagues, flexi hours

Cons

Never reach band maximum. Senior management too remote

Listen to staff, and pass concerns up, as well as passing criticism down.

internship

I worked at Department for Work And Pensions

Pros

great people, really interested in developing you and your career, providing wide range of opportunities for you to learn and grow.

Cons

n/a - didn't see any cons, it was a great place to work and somewhere where could learn a lot

It can only get worse for you

Current Employee - Unemployed in Manchester, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Unemployed in Manchester, England (UK)

I have been working at Department for Work And Pensions full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Sanctions sanctions , food bank, no home, work house

Cons

Work Programme, another opportunity to get you Sanctioned

How's your bonus

Heartache

Current Employee - Operations Support Officer in Croydon, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Operations Support Officer in Croydon, England (UK)

I have been working at Department for Work And Pensions full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Helping vulnerable customers who are in need

Cons

Wanted to return back to original site but would not accept me back due to head count

Management do not listen

Diverse and talked with different levels

I have been working at Department for Work And Pensions

Pros

The team, the hours and especially flexi time

Cons

Dealing with Difficult and threatening customers

None

Good to work with DWP, with usual challenges and very little rewards, but helping general public is main motivation.

Current Employee - Administrative Officer in Stockport, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Administrative Officer in Stockport, England (UK)

I have been working at Department for Work And Pensions part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Satisfaction of helping general public. Security of job, Flexi hours with weekly structure of hours can help me organise my personal life around it.

Cons

Very little appreciation and next to nothing financial reward for the work we carry out on daily basis. Constant changes in the way we deliver the services and operate the system. Outdated IT systems and inefficient management .Biased process of selection for any higher management posts.

Listen to real life experiences and use common sense when implementing any new policy/legislation or operating system. Always have good and working contingency plans ready before hand rather then preparing contingency plan once faced with the failure implementation, because failure of giving public service can prove very fatal to general public who are relying on our service for their daily needs.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Team Leader in Middlesbrough, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Middlesbrough, England (UK)

Pros

There are great benefits working there, decent pension scheme, annual leave allowance is excellent and flexible working hours are a god send

Cons

It's a challenging job sometimes and staff have very high expectations on them to hit benchmarks constantly as well as maintaining accuracy.

Be more visible to staff

Personal Advisor

Current Employee - Personal Adviser in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Personal Adviser in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Department for Work And Pensions part-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Time off, HR policies, team work

Cons

Too target led, inadequate staffing at front of house level

DWP is a great organisation to work for because they help and support staff to reach their true potential.

Current Employee - Disability Employment Adviser in Brighton, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Disability Employment Adviser in Brighton, England (UK)

Pros

I have worked for DWP for 33 years and I have greatly improved my Customer Service knowledge and skills. I have been given the opportunity to work on various teams and I really enjoy my current job as a Disability Employment Adviser. I was diagnosed with a LT health condition in 1990 & the DWP were very supportive and made reasonable adjustments to help me continue my employment.

Cons

The reduction in staff numbers and certain managers not recognising staff suffering from stress/anxiety/depression

Please revisit the ESA process as we feel let down by the PCA assessment (Atos Origin) and pay specially trained GPs to conduct the tests. Claimants with mental health and learning difficulties are being treated very badly at their PCA appointments as realistically they can't actively seek work without the Supported Employment Teams and they have a waiting list of over 12 months. I hope the Gov. puts more money into these teams and the local welfare advice organisations who are struggling to help claimants with their benefit claim forms....I hope that these services for vulnerable people will be improved!

Worked a long time have only got a small pension to look forward to now

Former Employee - Full Tme Administrative Public Facing in Nottingham, England (UK)

I worked at Department for Work And Pensions full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

37hrs a week outside London. Paid holidays. Used to be helping people more than it is now.

Cons

Victim of creeping privatisation and political correctness. Fast change in practices. Over regulated. Uncertain future

Bring back the old ideal of all senior management outstationed with the public for 2 weeks a year! You did it in the 70's why not now?

Department for Work And Pensions Photos

409 Kennington Road (Photo thanks to Geograph user Stephen Richards, Some Rights Reserved)
Department for Work and Pensions, Exeter (Photo thanks to Geograph user Derek Harper, Some Rights Reserved)
Ebury House, Dee Street, Aberdeen (Photo thanks to Geograph user Bill Harrison, Some Rights Reserved)

+ Add Photo