Deutsche Bank

Updated Jul 31, 2014

3.4 1,130 reviews

Deutsche Bank Co-Chairmen & CEO Jürgen Fitschen & Anshu Jain

Jürgen Fitschen & Anshu Jain

Pros
  • Good work-life balance and a global footprint help one explore the corners of the world (in 104 reviews)

• Change is the only constant - a highly dynamic work environment (in 62 reviews)

Cons
  • The work life balance is crap and if you want to transfer between teams forget it (in 41 reviews)

• It's very much a grind and long hours and can get quite confrontational (in 45 reviews)

More Highlights
1,130 Employee Reviews

Professional Atmosphere

Senior Analyst (Current Employee) Jacksonville, FL (US)

ProsManagement listens to your ideas and incorporates them into the departments processes as needed.

ConsCommunication still remains a problem across internal teams.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to listen to the employees to implement better process. Encourage monthly communications amongst peers.

Very Flat and Misogynistic Organization run by the Motherland

Portfolio Analyst (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsGood compensation, healthcare, maternity leave benefits

ConsSlow Growth, Limited Product Offering, Myopic Views from Corporate Leadership

Job security

Compliance (Current Employee) Jacksonville, FL (US)

ProsJob security, good benefits, location

ConsSalary, endless overtime hours with no compensation, unrealistic job expectations

Advice to Senior ManagementCompensation evaluations should be done, the employees are underpaid for the amount of experience they have and the industry they work in.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Political and cost cutting environment

Senior Operations Analyst (Current Employee) Jacksonville, FL (US)

ProsWork life balance is good, office is close to the beach and Towncenter.

ConsVery difficult to move locations, training is non-existent and Series License is very difficult to get sponsorship.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay employees more with bonus packages available for good performance reviews. More management training for senior analyst.

Culture, politics and red step stop great people getting work done

Project Manager (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsGood, hardworking staff and a great compensation package. I had an amazing team who really worked together to try and achieve.

ConsI was very excited when I got the job offer from DB. That excitement was very short lived. When I arrived I found that interdepartmental politics were taking the lead, and not much work getting done. This is one environment where moral is becoming low, and good staff are not able to get there jobs done.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffice culture is suffering at the hands of senior Directors and Managing Directors. There is a lot to learn in terms of leadership and how to motivate staff. Impossible to deliver projects, no outlook, no structure, no drive to get things organised. Put the breaks on and re-evaluate.

not so great environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgood benefits - longer vacation for associates. 6 months of maternity leave, which is the longest i heard on the street. base salary is competitive. reasonably smart jr. level people.

Conspoor work life balance, leadership culture is bad. not so knowledgeable Jr. level managers. training was almost zero. not so great bonus. poor internal mobility structure. unresponsive middle level managers.

Cumbersome

Project Manager/Business Analyst (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsNice Cafeteria. Wall Street Location. Broker/Dealer Trading Desk people were very knowledgeable about the products they trade on a daily basis.

ConsLack of communication and/or commitment. Rates IT had a very damaged reputation for Not understanding technology, and I couldn't fix that. Everyone afraid to lose their jobs, and won't commit to understanding in-house technology. No SME-Subject Matter Experts. Back stabbing - will take credit for your work, verbal abuses from those less knowledgeable about technology, etc.

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior Managers should be in charge of the hiring process - Not employees. Employees will NOT Hire qualified people who may pose a threat to their position. Ineffective managers have high turnaround of consultants due to lack of personal insecurity surrounding knowledge-base. DB needs a "Centralized" IT Management Group to ensure individual departments meet criteria "Before" UAT Testing can begin, such as Base-lining and Unit-Testing. These will ensure successful implementation 1st time around, as well as Subject Matter Experts for each in-house proprietary platform in use today.

Typical European bank - lots of bureaucracy, can be painful to get things done

Senior Front Office Developer (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsSome reasonably strong senior developers, the banks's size means it can invest in infrastructure and areas that smaller shops can't

ConsPlenty of mediocre people around across all levels. Lots of red tape and processes to get anything done, within Technology, the focus was on pleasing tech management rather than delivering projects for the desk.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's understandable that technology goals might not align with short term business goals from the desk, but when this is completely skewed one way, the business relationship suffers and puts desk facing front office teams often in difficult situations.

Interesting

Director, Risk Officer and Manager (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsIt all depends on the boss. With the right boss this shop offers a lot.
    I guess my cons are more or less similar to competitors.
    If you swim down the river it is great. If you question the management you are history.
    I was satisfied until I decided to leave as I made enough money to have a happy life.
    I witnessed other who got the boot and where of course unhappy.

ConsCulture has changed significantly and is the worst I have ever seen.
    Management by fear. Most decisions are not made in the interest of the shareholder.
    I witnessed many illegal transactions and cannot believe that regulators keep their eyes closed although they sit day and night next door in the Wall St office.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the management would be my advice as it is ridiculous to have somebody in charge of changing a culture which they had implemented in the past. That simply does not work.

General advice to young folks:
    If you do not like your boss, you better move on as you will never change him/her.
    Opportunities for young people are manyfold. ;)

former employee

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosthe pay was on par with the street then

Consmorale was awful but likely better than other shops.

Worked for Deutsche Bank? Contribute to the Community!