Dick's Sporting Goods

Dick's Sporting Goods Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Dick's Sporting Goods Chairman and CEO Edward W. Stack

Edward W. Stack

Pros
  • Employee discount available for overpriced, regular priced merchandise only(in 47 reviews)

• Flexible hours, you can attend school or a second job(in 34 reviews)

Cons
  • Dick's whole Customer service or "Wow factor" is not supported by their actions(in 27 reviews)

• From what I've heard from my full time co-workers, benefits are non-existent(in 25 reviews)

Not enough freedom

Golf Club Technician (Former Employee) Deptford

ProsThey give you some freedom to do your own thing, but creativity is really taken away most of the time.

ConsThere isnt enough freedom given to the employees for them to really sell. They have such a strict environment.

Cashier

Cashier/Customer Service (Former Employee) Brandon, FL (US)

ProsGreat College Job. Worked well with me on scheduling my work around my classes.

ConsWorking weekends. Long holiday hours.

My Review

ProsIt was a fun job if you like sports

Consit was a lot of sports and men

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Descent job

Footwear Sales Associate (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA (US)

ProsDescent pay, easy work. Basically just help customers shop

ConsSome rude customers, and hard to get promotions.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize employees work

Bicycle Technician/Sales Associate

Bicycle Technician (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA (US)

ProsI worked in the Mall at Robinson, and it was pretty good. Obviously it's a part-time high school student job, but the atmosphere was fun. The management was easy to work with. As long as you're not unwilling to learn and you're responsible, they like you. All the departments are specialized, so there is a learning curve if you're jumping in. Advice: learn quickly and ask lots of questions.

ConsIf the management doesn't like you, they'll stop scheduling you. Just do your best, though, and you'll have no problems.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust be aware that most of your employees are kids in high school or college. No real-world experience, and just need some money. Find a way to motivate them and keep them interested. AKA, don't just yell at everyone for doing something wrong...

It's great if you get the right managers.

Apparel Associate (Former Employee) Indianapolis, IN (US)

ProsGood corporation. It takes quite a while to go from hourly to a lead, but leads seem to like the treatment that they get from managers, because there's very little turnover. Lots of flexibility before and after the schedules come out. Managers are open to giving you extra hours if you ask for it, there is a need, and it's in the budget.

ConsIt is retail, so you'll get a good share of customers who don't look at you as a person who is there to help. If you're in apparel you'll find that your job is to clean up piles of crumpled up sports bras and stretch pants (Seriously people! Try it on. Put it back!). When lines get long at the registers the entire store freaks out and managers start to yell for backup, even though they know that there are no more trained cashiers on the shift.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more flexibility to department managers when it comes to displaying merch. I know that your highly paid MBA graduates worked hard on those game plans, but they haven't experienced retail like your store managers have, and software is no substitute for eyes on the floor.

Overall it was a good experience.

ProsFlexible hours, fun atmosphere, good people to work with.

ConsSome managers worse than others, sometimes tedious

Could have been a lot better

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prosgood friends, if your wiling to learn then you can move up easily.

ConsNever a constant schedule and depending on your last name you may get fewer hours is it get closer to the end of the alphabet.

OK as a summer job

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Burnsville, MN (US)

ProsFlexible Hours, products I was interested in, and good location.

ConsRepetitiveness of the job and answering to managers who were spread too thin.

Advice to Senior ManagementSomehow increase pay roll.

Fun crew. Short hours. Average pay.

Price-signage Coordinator (Current Employee)

ProsFun crew. Kinda like a family there. As a psc, I don't work in a specific dept, so I can create my on schedule and be off work by 2 or 3. I have it worked out with my managers to be off on Friday/ Saturday. But that just at my store!! Most companies and other stores are way more up tight with your schedule s. Especially with department workers.

ConsThe workloads are overwhelming most of the time. I sometimes have a project that usually need five people to complete. I personally like the challenge, but the finger is still pointed at you if it's not completed. And when you DO have extra help, it lazy help. You may as well run and push harder alone. At least you know stuff is getting done. Opposed to babysitting people that don't wanna help you in the first place.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere has to be a solution to the hours supplied to the stores. Cut off any unnecessary tasks and ineffective projects. Corporate should communicate more with store manager, not the district or regional managers, about what works in the stores for them, and the customers.

Worked for Dick's Sporting Goods? Contribute to the Community!