DigitalGlobe

DigitalGlobe President, CEO, and Director Jeffrey R. (Jeff) Tarr

Jeffrey R. (Jeff) Tarr

Interesting Place to Work

I have been working at DigitalGlobe full-time for more than 5 years

ProsUnique company with very cool technology, Senior Leadership Team, co-workers, clearly communicated strategy. Some opportunity for advancement.

ConsSilos throughout the company, largely administrative with slow movement on implementation, consolidation (mergers) and improvement.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate, communicate, communicate!
Stop playing favorites/politics.

Losing culture to growing as a corporation

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at DigitalGlobe full-time for more than 10 years

ProsFlexible work schedules (depending on department). Very cool domain. Smart people who have been there a long time. Short commutes to the current location.

ConsVery few opportunities for advancement or promotion, they are still tied to annual reviews despite lip service that says otherwise. Management very slow to hire for support roles or to backfill engineering loses. There's a big gap between people who have been there forever and roles with a high turnover; no middle ground.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring senior vice presidents and hire some engineers and support people to keep the factory running. Actually focus on agile development and continuous deployment - quarterly monolithic software upgrades does not make your factory agile. Moving the headquarters for the sake of executives will only increase dissatisfaction from frustrated engineers that value their in-Longmont commute.

DG lost its soul, but set to monopolize

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at DigitalGlobe full-time for more than 5 years

ProsSatellite imagery is cool, use cases exploding
Only US based provider
Very profitable

ConsSacrificed culture to become a 'real' company, little appreciation or recognition of severely constrained resources that keep the company running, some departments doing their own thing at the expense of achieving the company mission

Advice to Senior ManagementShore up the weak spots at the Director level that are sabotaging progress

Management out of touch

Mission Planner (Current Employee)

I have been working at DigitalGlobe full-time for more than 3 years

Prosfast paced, growing industry, high tech

Conspoor management decisions, lots of talk about values but its all lip service

Advice to Senior Managementtake care of your people.

Dysfunctional Chaos

Longmont, CO (US)

I have been working at DigitalGlobe full-time for less than a year

ProsNon-management employees, and those that are not brainwashed into "Seeing a better world" mission are a pleasure to work with. Tuesday bagels and doughnuts are a plus.

ConsI did not choose to work for DigitalGlobe, but rather was absorbed as part of their "combination" with the former GeoEye. While I'm flattered that they chose to keep me, I am disheartened by the level of chaos and overall dysfunctional ways of management. The company has an overly layered management structure and redundant departments that essentially "fight" to take away work from other departments. Management decisions pertaining to technology are short-sighted with unrealistic deadlines, which essentially gives employees anxiety only to later find out that 1) the deadline has been postponed or 2) another department has taken-over the work. This vicious cycle repeats-and-repeats until employees leave or get fired. This is not a sustainable way of operating, and will ultimately get worse before it gets better. Sure, the stock price keeps going-up, but sooner or later the company will have to deliver on their promises which requires happy employees that are very unhappy.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe CEO once said in an all-hands meeting that "each question is a gift." Is it truly a gift if the employee that asks the question is walked-out the door a few days later? What about when employees are told that their jobs are "safe", but a week later a group of HR business partners fly-in to a remote office and hand-out pink slips? Is this what "integrity" and "respect" is all about?

Decent company to work for.

I have been working at DigitalGlobe full-time for more than 3 years

ProsExciting technology, good people, fast paced.

ConsDisorganized, upper management out of touch, lack of processes and procedures to move the company forward.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to the employees, it seems as if speaking up is a quick way to get walked out the door. There is a lot of talk about culture and values, but not much action.

Dynamic

I have been working at DigitalGlobe

ProsVery dynamic and learning environment

Conslack of communication between department

Advice to Senior Managementunderstand work load of your employee. good people are quitting the job.

Too top heavy, upper management does not value employees

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at DigitalGlobe full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe people that are at the "bottom" are great to work with. The jobs are fun and interesting and new skills are always available since they change so much.

ConsThis company doesn't value the employee. If you speak up you will get fired and opinions are not appreciated. There are more directors and executives than I've ever seen in a company before. They promote "yes men" and have them do all the dirty work.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize and appreciate what you have before all your employees quit.

Fine for Beginners

I have been working at DigitalGlobe full-time

ProsFast paced learning and training. Wide exposure to the industry.

ConsStagnation of career growth. Lack of growth space. Below average remuneration.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo invest in employees. Concentrate on retaining talent and experience.

good luck to Digitalglobe

I have been working at DigitalGlobe full-time

Prosexcellent opportunity to create new ideas

Conslack of overall communication-interaction between departments

Advice to Senior Managementensure that middle and lower management practice the work values preached

Worked for DigitalGlobe? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at DigitalGlobe reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for DigitalGlobe CEO Jeffrey R. (Jeff) Tarr. All 50 reviews are posted anonymously by DigitalGlobe employees.