DigitalGlobe

Be The First To
Add Photos

DigitalGlobe President, CEO, and Director Jeffrey R. (Jeff) Tarr

Jeffrey R. (Jeff) Tarr

Pros
  • Work/life balance was highly promoted by all levels of management(in 4 reviews)

• I like the people I actually work with, they are nice, courteous and overall good people(in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior Management does not rely on employee experience to accomplish tasks(in 4 reviews)

• Launching satellites creates a specific culture of thoroughness and rigor rather than around 'failing fast' and iterations(in 3 reviews)

Great work life, bad systems

ProsWork schedule, vacations, staff and co workers

Conssystems not stable, same issues keep reocurring

A place that encourages employees to do their best work

ProsDigitalGlobe’s growth creates an environment which is constantly evolving. This evolution provides multiple benefits but one of the most compelling is the opportunity to be an active participant in continuing to build a great company that is shaping the industry. This build mentality and culture creates tremendous professional growth and the opportunity to work on projects and initiatives that are unparalleled. No two days are the same.

ConsRapid growth and change leads to a chaotic environment at times which can detract from doing your best work.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to focus on building a culture that values employees and creates opportunities for professional growth. Great progress has been made over the last two years - keep it up!

Dynamic and fast paced technoogy company making an impact in the world.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Longmont, CO (US)

ProsThe commitment to the company's Purpose of Seeing a Better World is sincere. I believe that employees are aligned behind the belief that everyone's contribution counts and can make a positive difference in the world. Benefits and compensation are good. The people are some of the smartest and most talented. Senior management is very vocal about expressing appreciation for individual contributions formally and informally. Corporate values are more than words on paper and the commitment to strive to live the values is part of the culture in every day interactions.

ConsCompany is constantly changing and adpating to changing competitive environment and with that comes a lot of stress and uncertainty. Not enough time to pursue available development opportunities.
    Enterprise tools and systems limit productivity and efficiency.

Advice to Senior ManagementWalk around more. Be more visible. Some leaders have open door policies and others don't.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The DigitalGlobe Experience

Manager (Current Employee) Longmont, CO (US)

ProsDigitalGlobe's Purpose, Vision, and Values (PVV) is one of the best thought out and designed systems I've ever experienced. The talent of people is top notch and the work we do is critically important to our customers.

ConsThe commute is long for me, but that will change with the move of HQ closer to Denver in 2015. Since the combination there have been process improvements, but there are several things that hinder employees being effective workers between offices around the globe.

Fast-paced, dynamic work environment with varying sub-cultures

ProsCool technology, smart people (both business and technical), a strong focus on Purpose, Vision and Values at all levels of leadership, great benefits and competitive pay, little perks that sometimes get lost in the shuffle like bagel tuesdays, local discounts, peer recognition, etc..

ConsFast-paced with a lot of change to ingest all at once. Company is still working to put scalable structures into place to support the growth. Many sub-cultures exist so experience can greatly differ based on where in the company you work and/or who you work with/for.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue investing in people and rapidly responding to changes in the market. Don't underestimate the value that shifts in culture can have on productivity/effectiveness.

Best place I ever worked

Director of R&D (Current Employee) Longmont, CO (US)

ProsJeff Taar has set the purpose and values for the company that drive each one of us. It is a wonderful place with great benefits and culture. Global leader in earth observation industry and pioneered the start of commercial remote sensing industry.

ConsHectic work environment that demands 100% effort.

Smitten by space with great tech and vision

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Longmont, CO (US)

ProsIf you want to work on things that are significant and change the world, this is the place. There is a huge opportunity to understand what is going on around the world at any given time since the business is inherently global. DigitalGlobe is a big(ish) company that operates similar to a startup where everyone feel like they are in this together and are aligned every quarter and every launch. Very interesting tech problems are solved here from launching satellites to distributing PBs of content, to analyzing and understanding what is going on inside those PBs.

ConsUnited mentality has too many people focused on the quarter rather than on internal metrics. Launching satellites creates a specific culture of thoroughness and rigor rather than around 'failing fast' and iterations.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow employees to take ownership of things they are passionate about.

Kool-Aid

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsTalented folks, Great technology, flexible work environment

ConsI think the last 3 reviews are inside PVV cronies that have been told to write good reviews to boost that place up on this website. Since I've left and gone to work at another company I've had numerous DG folks hitting me up to see if there were opportunities. People want out of there! I left a while ago but seems like the atmosphere hasn't changed much.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't really have advice to them since things won't ever change as long as they keep getting robotic career executives that tout a company line script. Any advice to give would be invest in your people (the workers) not the shareholders. If you build a strong engaged workforce then success will flow down to the shareholder. BTW- the stock is tanking as I write this.

Good company and benefits

Director (Former Employee) Herndon, VA (US)

ProsA lot of good satellite based work.

ConsNot much in terms of growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Company with great potential but they're not there yet

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsProgressive company in terms of a good benefits package, competitive salary, flex time, and even free bagels and cream cheese one morning a week. They were also nice people.

ConsDG was in the process of integrating two newly acquired companies during the time I worked there. This caused some understandable delays in getting on line time sheets function, and some lag in the ability to sign up for benefits.
    The company's core competence in imagery does not easily extend to other areas of analysis. They are trying to grow despite this. One way to compensate was to do whatever the customer wanted uncritically. One had the feel of being "hired help" rather than being a respected consultant.
    Because the leadership is intelligent and committed the company will likely get past these growing pains.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's refreshing and unusual to find a company that believes that the "customer is always right". Many companies have become so large through mergers that they dominate the marketplace and take their customers for granted. The downside is that they fail to engage their customers when they make bad policy judgements. The company will probably develop more confidence as it integrates the new acquisitions and the firm matures.

Worked for DigitalGlobe? Contribute to the Community!