DigitalGlobe

Be The First To
Add Photos

DigitalGlobe President, CEO, and Director Jeffrey R. (Jeff) Tarr

Jeffrey R. (Jeff) Tarr

Pros
  • Work/life balance was highly promoted by all levels of management (in 4 reviews)

• I like the people I actually work with, they are nice, courteous and overall good people (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior Management does not rely on employee experience to accomplish tasks (in 4 reviews)

• Launching satellites creates a specific culture of thoroughness and rigor rather than around 'failing fast' and iterations (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Kool-Aid

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsTalented folks, Great technology, flexible work environment

ConsI think the last 3 reviews are inside PVV cronies that have been told to write good reviews to boost that place up on this website. Since I've left and gone to work at another company I've had numerous DG folks hitting me up to see if there were opportunities. People want out of there! I left a while ago but seems like the atmosphere hasn't changed much.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't really have advice to them since things won't ever change as long as they keep getting robotic career executives that tout a company line script. Any advice to give would be invest in your people (the workers) not the shareholders. If you build a strong engaged workforce then success will flow down to the shareholder. BTW- the stock is tanking as I write this.

Lots of potential, but the company needs to grow up

Operations Manager (Former Employee) Longmont, CO (US)

ProsSmall company allows people to get to know each other, and employees at the lower levels really have each other's back. Some of the teams have employees who've been with the company almost from the beginning and are great resources about the industry, etc.

ConsSenior leadership has had so much turnover. Seems like HR leaders don't last more than a couple of years which doesn't seem like a good indication of the long-term future for the culture of the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementFor the entrenched, long-time execs...maybe you're part of the problem?

A sleeping giant...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros- High integrity, smart/good people in senior management focused on the bigger picture.
    - Good work/life balance.
    - Industry leader with a lot of potential to position themselves well for the changes/demand ahead.

Cons- While the newer members of the senior management team are intelligent and have high integrity, there are a lot of middle managers (especially people there longer than 5 years) who fear change and are highly risk averse, which is a major impediment to the needed meaningful change.

- Very good people work at DigitalGlobe, but often they're insulated from the "real world" and too soft from government (or quasi government) business handed to them in what is a quickly vanishing monopoly.

- Lack of focus. The government business is critical of course, but it can be frustrating to be constantly relegated in the commercial segment (the only area of true growth potential).

- Marketing and product are very weak and have a long way to go. The capabilities are there, but that alone doesn't compensate.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe bold. Take some risks. Let the commercial business stand on it's own to the extent that it can so it doesn't languish as is has. Build a real marketing strategy with real product development, not big happy thoughts that don't get executed. Hire subject matter experts in the verticals you wish to pursue in the information services space. Don't wait for the new entrants to each your lunch.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Interesting job scope

ProsGet to interact with customers from all over the world

ConsCompany is always pressured to meet quarter financial goals

Values driven company with a strong sense of purpose

Operations (Current Employee) Longmont, CO (US)

ProsThe Company has a strong set of Purpose, Vision, and Values and makes sure that Employees are aware of the positive impact the imagery and services we provide help people to save lives and make the world a better place.

ConsVery fast pace. The Company has gone through a lot of change in the last year, but is making an effort to address cultural issues that impact employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue investments in developing employees and in providing career opportunities and stretch assignments for high performers. Keep focused on the top priorities and getting flawless on execution of those strategies. React quickly to changing market conditions.

Software Engineering review

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsDecent pay, good work life balance, good control with agile over what deliverables you are committed to delivering

ConsIf you are outside the headquarters, it is difficult to get interesting work. Too much production support is also expected of its developers.

Advice to Senior ManagementRealize that your developers aren't content to do support and deployment work with little interesting development.

Challenging and dynamic work environment

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Longmont, CO (US)

ProsInteresting, smart, hardworking people; good pay/benefits; challenging and dynamic work

ConsManagement sometimes sends mixed messages; lots of longtime employees, so you have to work hard to move up

Lots of change so make sure you are okay with that!

Manager (Current Employee)

ProsGrowth, new products and services, benefits, smart people, CEO lives the purpose vision and values.

ConsCan get tiring at times, too much to do at times as well.

Advice to Senior ManagementBuild something well or fix it once with an eye to the future. Build consistent, repeatable systems.

Interesting work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSome very intelligent people that were committed to doing quality work. I learned a lot from working at DG - lots of great people doing very cool things.

ConsThe culture was very uncertain. People always seem worried as to how long they will have their job. I know many people that are still there that are looking for other jobs.

Confusing

Operations (Former Employee) Longmont, CO (US)

ProsGood people to work with. Diverse workgroup. Nice benefit package.

ConsManagement, dis-jointed and not always helpful. More concerned with how they will look vice giving employees all tools and especially information to perform their tasks in an efficient manner.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet to know your employees. Have a better grasp of employee attributes. There is not always perfect template for positional requirements.

Worked for DigitalGlobe? Contribute to the Community!