DigitalGlobe Reviews

Updated 22 April 2015
93 reviews filtered by

Same re-run but not making money from syndication, I think they jumped the shark

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Longmont, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Longmont, CO (US)

I worked at DigitalGlobe full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Certain Lines of Business are good and lead well, other are not!
    Benefits and work life balance are excellent!
    Co-workers were great.
    Food Trucks for all staff several times a year.
    Gym for working out.

Cons

Avoid the Production-Information Line of Business at all costs. Poor lead management in all but one department; project management.
    Big lay-off in Feb after another record setting quarter, REALLY? Morale at all time low, many senior staff let go in favor of lower paid recent college grads.
    The re-org is the same show from 7-8 years ago.
    No accountability (at all levels) many staff would like it but seems to never get traction with management.

Advice to Management

Practice what you preach, actually read and listen to employees and what is written in the "surveys" you pay to get done.
    Did they ever read "Good to Great?" DG could be Great but consistently strives for only Good and just getting by.
    Your directors are telling you only what you want to hear, SLT wake up you are out of touch!
    It's telling how many of the reviews are saying the same thing over and over.

Excellent team members and immediate managers; not so sure about senior leadership....

Current Employee - Planning in Longmont, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Planning in Longmont, CO (US)

I have been working at DigitalGlobe full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Even as a 24x7 shift worker, I find the work/life balance is fantastic. My managers are very family oriented themselves and have no problem when people call in with a family emergency. Some weeks are full, but other weeks you have lots of days off. Everyone I work with is competent, friendly, and relaxed. I personally do not have a bachelors degree, but I always feel that my intelligence and experience is valued more. Managers are very helpful in helping with career path and advancement. The pay and benefits are more than satisfactory.

Cons

Occasionally work can be slightly stressful. Too many reorganizations of structure makes for insufficient training and lack of procedure. Senior leadership seems disconnected from the rest of employee culture. It sometimes feels that corporate and company advancement takes too much resources when existing groups lack resources to fix issues.

Advice to Management

Be more honest about what it is you do and why. Employees feel disconnected from larger structure.

DG is a good company that pays well and offers good benefits.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Longmont, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Longmont, CO (US)

I have been working at DigitalGlobe full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great people
    Good pay and benefits
    Company is growing and profitable

Cons

Limited advancement potential without technical background
    Corporate atmosphere

Advice to Management

Stop bringing in so many high-paid executives and cutting costs everywhere else.

5. Great management and exciting line of business

Current Employee - Analyst in Longmont, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Analyst in Longmont, CO (US)

I have been working at DigitalGlobe full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good opportunities and competitive salaries

Cons

Many changes to process flow in the works

Disgrace to the industry! Avoid at all costs

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA (US)

I worked at DigitalGlobe (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay
    Good benefits (4 wks PTO, numerous federal holidays, investment options, stock, paternity and maternity leave)
    Nice perks
    Interesting technology
    Good use of skills
    Teams look out for their own
    Folks at lower levels usually have good intentions but exceptions are glaring and go untreated

Cons

Too many factions vying for too little new work (highly political w/in locations, between areas of business focus, and between locations)
    Top heavy organization that favors those in HQ over remote locations to extremes (good stuff grabbed at HQ before any announcements go out, remote folk fight over scraps)
    Engineers on feature teams have long been disconnected from customers
    Too many mgmt layer proxies for customer results in "left hand doesn't know what right is doing" snits
    Conflicting direction and blame wars due to missed requirements and conversations, different heads with different needs trying to push their views
    Comm customers given lower priority in favor of chasing shiny gov't bauble. Most new features for govies only.
    Culture of "minimum to make money" rather than pursuing things to logical conclusion (fully-fleshed out features), so often shoving stuff to backlog to be forgotten or worked by people with no experience in that area far down road.
    Promise to deliver things, then get entangled with dependencies within and without so stuff not delivered or delivering not what customer wanted
    Information largely silo-ed and tends to stay that way for job security
    Incremental improvements in process and knowledge sharing has taken years longer than should, still incomplete
    Cult of Customer, yet "duty to shareholders" more important when under pressure
    Stocks fall- blame marketing and sales even though market for high end product is saturated
    Stocks rise- take all the credit, given token award, continue to ignore "little people" who made it possible (give execs pay bump, tiny raises for everyone else)
    Purpose, Vision, Values very nice, but not really implemented outside L2 level beyond giving token amts to a few charities
    Environment not collegial at all, graveyard silence over hordes of empty cubes due massive layoffs after merger
    Stated policy (no joke)- only VPs and up get offices, all else get a cube or bullpen seat
    Mixed signals: Scads of cash in contracts but still "belt tightening", hiring frozen but contract-to-hires brought in at same time, selling floor space but building new HQ at snail's pace.
    Company sets your yearly goals for you as they have to align to business goals, so individualized achievement and development largely go ignored
    Heavy reliance on a handful of foreign contractors for core code (inverted pyramid)
    "There must be an open source solution for what we need" rather than building own tools, with no governance of toolset (many science projects and personal tools floating around with little documentation)
    Hiring from without for internal vacancies higher up food chain (no consideration of internal promotion)

Pervasive fear of speaking up/honest as it is political and career suicide (think Soviet Russia)

I wrote this about 4 months ago, though their latest actions speak volumes. Morning before the earnings call, an email from the CEO goes out saying "tough decisions" are needed and to maintain 50% margins cost cutting, blah blah blah, reading between the lines its a massive layoff. DG laid off 100 employees and 55 contractors (20% of the staff) between the three locations in Colorado, California, and Virginia. California and Virginia were hit hardest. Staff were paraded into 10 min meetings with HR throughout the day before the call to be layoff before the earnings call. Each got severance, a pink slip, and one hour to clear off the premises. Some were even pulled off during a call with NGA, our primary government customer, to be laid off. All the prattle about respect and values is a load of hooey. A shock to everyone, particularly the callousness. No senior mgmt were present, instead a hatchet man was hired special for the job, someone no one had met. The lucky ones have two weeks or until the end of the month, the rest were shown the door.

Advice to Management

You reap what you sow. I will celebrate when your company implodes.

used to be better

I worked at DigitalGlobe full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

many good people, interesting work, benefits are not bad, depending on which department you work in, you can get a lot of experience

Cons

management doesn't care about the people doing the work, just about their own career growth, too many people in change and nothing actually gets accomplished, self promotion gets you farther than actual good work, "do as I say, not as I do" managers

Advice to Management

be more concerned with how the company as a whole is doing, not just your own career or hiring your buddies

Solid Company with Unlimited Potential

Current Employee - Senior Professional
    Current Employee - Senior Professional

I have been working at DigitalGlobe full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Leadership from the CEO, CHRO, and other Senior Leaders support the strong set of Purpose, Vision & Values that drive the company and attract/retain highly competent employees

Cons

Too heavily focused on government contracts and need more investment in commercial offerings to the market

Advice to Management

Focus less on R&D/satellites and more on non-government customers to drive business growth while maintaing a positive work environment for employees

DigitalGlobe Response

Mar 18, 2015Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your feedback. As part of our corporate strategy, we are committed to being market customer focused; driving products and solutions that leverage our powerful constellation comprised ... More

Life at DigitalGlobe

I worked at DigitalGlobe

Pros

Good Salary, Benefits, people are friendly

Cons

Remote office
    Too dependent on the government

Frustrating

Current Employee - Operations Analyst in Longmont, CO (US)
    Current Employee - Operations Analyst in Longmont, CO (US)

I have been working at DigitalGlobe

Pros

unique and amazing product. Company knows where it needs to be, just doesn't seem to know how to get there.

Cons

Sr Mgmt lacks following through on automation. Company is growing too large to sustain manual operations and will soon find itself with a big problem. The executive leadership is really out of touch with what is really possible.

Advice to Management

A geospatial company should be using geospatial tools, not spreadsheets.

Opportunities and Challenges

I have been working at DigitalGlobe

Pros

You have lots of opportunities

Cons

There are more than the average number of challenges

Advice to Management

Make decisions

DigitalGlobe Response

Mar 16, 2015Manager, Talent Acquisition

DigitalGlobe is committed to providing opportunities for our employees to expand and grow professionally. We appreciate the recognition!
    John Hollander